2019-2020 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My first II today!! Submitted secondary 7/28, LM 75.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
My first II today!! Submitted secondary 7/28, LM 75, and I scheduled the interview for 9/5! Anyone else interviewing 9/5?

I submitted 7/30 and received an interview yesterday on 8/16. Also LM 75. It’s interesting thinking that I only submitted 2 days after you, yet received an interview over a week later (assuming that our applications are similar). I guess my point to everyone lurking out there is: submit as early as possible!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Current MS1 just dropping by a bit early. Happy thoughts - everything will work out in the end!
When y'all come by for interviews, try to swing by the social (Day prior to interview), and stick around for the student panel following your interviews. There are, to my knowledge, no admins in the room during both of those events, and you'll get answers that are honest. Bring hard questions if you want.

That being said, I'm really loving the city and my class, and I'll be on SDN every once in awhile if anyone has questions regarding the curriculum/El Paso in general!

Current MS1 just dropping by a bit early. Happy thoughts - everything will work out in the end!
When y'all come by for interviews, try to swing by the social (Day prior to interview), and stick around for the student panel following your interviews. There are, to my knowledge, no admins in the room during both of those events, and you'll get answers that are honest. Bring hard questions if you want.

That being said, I'm really loving the city and my class, and I'll be on SDN every once in awhile if anyone has questions regarding the curriculum/El Paso in general!

I've never been to El Paso before, but I really like the curriculum and I think my stats fall within the range of this school (I hope). How's the weather and diversity/community there? Is it predominantly Hispanics or more like a mixture of many cultures/ethnicities? Thanks :)

I've never been to El Paso before, but I really like the curriculum and I think my stats fall within the range of this school (I hope). How's the weather and diversity/community there? Is it predominantly Hispanics or more like a mixture of many cultures/ethnicities? Thanks :)

Weather: Just to preface, I'm from Houston. I LOVE El Paso's weather. Whereas in most of S/SE TX the weather is hot and humid, El Paso is bone dry. 95 degrees here feels like 85-90 degrees in Houston because, surprise, we can actually sweat. The only issue for me was adapting to the altitude - you're looking at ~4,000 ft. (For comparison, Houston is ~100 ft) Arid + High Altitude = Small nosebleeds on a regular basis up until a few weeks ago.

Diversity/Community: El Paso is, if I recall correctly, approximately 80% Hispanic. There are pockets of every race, though. It's actually very interesting to be here as an ORM because you still don't feel out of place. There's a very welcoming sense of community - everyone goes out of their way to help each other. This was only further emphasized following the events at the beginning of the month.

Reactions: 2 users
Weather: Just to preface, I'm from Houston. I LOVE El Paso's weather. Whereas in most of S/SE TX the weather is hot and humid, El Paso is bone dry. 95 degrees here feels like 85-90 degrees in Houston because, surprise, we can actually sweat. The only issue for me was adapting to the altitude - you're looking at ~4,000 ft. (For comparison, Houston is ~100 ft) Arid + High Altitude = Small nosebleeds on a regular basis up until a few weeks ago.

Diversity/Community: El Paso is, if I recall correctly, approximately 80% Hispanic. There are pockets of every race, though. It's actually very interesting to be here as an ORM because you still don't feel out of place. There's a very welcoming sense of community - everyone goes out of their way to help each other. This was only further emphasized following the events at the beginning of the month.

I am an ORM from Houston too, so that's awesome to see :) Thank you very much!!!

Hi everyone! Does anyone know if interviews here are open or closed file?

Members don't see this ad :)
II invite today!
Secondary submitted: 8/5

Reactions: 1 user
II. Ahhhh first one. Nice and sweet.

Secondary submitted 7/23. Complete by 7/31.

Last edited:
Hmm it seems they dont review apps in order?
Complete on 7/23.

Any other OOS IIs? Looking at the MSAR i'm not too encouraged
This school has a strong mission of choosing doctors who may stay in the area to practice and/or who are interested in primary care or rural medical practice. Not that many OOS applicants will fit this mission. It appears that last year they only interviewed about 25 from OOS :chicken:.

Any other OOS IIs? Looking at the MSAR i'm not too encouraged
This school has a strong mission of choosing doctors who may stay in the area to practice and/or who are interested in primary care or rural medical practice. Not that many OOS applicants will fit this mission. It appears that last year they only interviewed about 25 from OOS :chicken:.

Also consider that all Texas medical schools (except UIW, Baylor) must have 90% of their seats filled with Texas residents. There is a slimmer chance for an interview for an OOS. It may help to have ties to the state or strong stats

I think I would fit that mission, and I think that came across in my secondary application. I should definitely find the opportunity to emphasize that fit during the interview, right?

I think I would fit that mission, and I think that came across in my secondary application. I should definitely find the opportunity to emphasize that fit during the interview, right?
Yes, it could help if they feel you do fit their mission well. Spend some time on their website before your interview to learn about their school, read news about their faculty and see what their teaching style is.

II invite today!
Secondary submitted: 8/5
Can I ask for your stats? And are you a ORM? You sent your secondary close to the day I sent mine (secondary sent 8/8/19 and application complete on 8/14/19).

Can I ask for your stats? And are you a ORM? You sent your secondary close to the day I sent mine (secondary sent 8/8/19 and application complete on 8/14/19).
Not sure about ORM. Probably considered URM. 509/3.6

Anyone in lubbock going to EP for the 9/26 interview? If so, PM me if interested in carpooling

502 MCAT, am I DOA? Interviewing at several DO schools, but would love to stay in state.

502 MCAT, am I DOA? Interviewing at several DO schools, but would love to stay in state.

Definitely not DOA. Check out MSAR— You are within their MCAT spread. And you have a very strong GPA! TTUHSC is reviewing apps holistically in search of students who embody their mission so, if you do, you’ll definitely be considered. Good luck!

Interview went well today!

For those interviewing in the following weeks, the interviews are mostly relaxed. They want to get to know you, they want to know why you wanna go to El Paso, they wanna see if you can carry a convo. I was genuinely impressed by their presentation, and the staff/faculty seem very invested in their students. Best of luck to y’all!!

Interview went well today!

For those interviewing in the following weeks, the interviews are mostly relaxed. They want to get to know you, they want to know why you wanna go to El Paso, they wanna see if you can carry a convo. I was genuinely impressed by their presentation, and the staff/faculty seem very invested in their students. Best of luck to y’all!!
Thanks for sharing! Was there a student panel where you can ask Q/A?
Curious question: What did they serve for lunch? lol did they serve breakfast?

II today! How would you recommend getting here from the Houston area? Don't particularly want to drive for 11 hours but plane tickets are expensive so I was wondering if there were alternatives.

II today! How would you recommend getting here from the Houston area? Don't particularly want to drive for 11 hours but plane tickets are expensive so I was wondering if there were alternatives.

Congrats to all who guy IIs! What dates were you guys offered?

I’m wondering the same. Shelling out $330 to get there doesn’t sound so great. Riding the bus would be a little less than $200 but being on a bus for more than 11 hours is going to be incredibly draining before the interview.

I’m wondering the same. Shelling out $330 to get there doesn’t sound so great. Riding the bus would be a little less than $200 but being on a bus for more than 11 hours is going to be incredibly draining before the interview.
see if you can fly into Lubbock/New Mexico and drive to El Paso from there?

not to mention the same drive back. Fly, you will be glad you did!

I am also leaving from the Houston area, looking into flights cause 11 hours is a long drive.

I drove the full 11 hours to and back by myself. Yes it was tiring, but after calculating the cost of ticket + Uber/car rental and not having the freedom of driving around in my car once I got there, i figured I would be more comfortable with driving and spending about 1/5th of the $$ instead.

My recommendation is to try to find other Houstonian interviewees scheduled on your same day and see if ya can carpool. Driving 2-3 hours at a time and then switching is much better than doing the 11 hours each way on your own.

Received an II yesterday as well! Coming from the Houston Area.

If you do spend money, make sure you get points that can accumulate to a free flight in the future!
Yes, airline rewards points, especially on Southwest for Texas with its free rescheduling of changed flights, can help out a lot.

any tips from current med students or those who have already interviewed?

Yes, airline rewards points, especially on Southwest for Texas with its free rescheduling of changed flights, can help out a lot.
Yup! I have their credit card. It has done me so many wonders!
That and Southwest's TWO FREE checked bag policy? You have me sold!

any tips from current med students or those who have already interviewed?
I interviewed this week! It was a very chill interview! The biggest thing i would say is to just be relaxed and confident during the interviews. It’s open file, but i never really got grilled about anything on my application.

Make sure you are pretty aware of some of the challenges facing the Hispanic population specifically in El Paso. Both interviewers asked me multiple questions about that!

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed this week! It was a very chill interview! The biggest thing i would say is to just be relaxed and confident during the interviews. It’s open file, but i never really got grilled about anything on my application.

Make sure you are pretty aware of some of the challenges facing the Hispanic population specifically in El Paso. Both interviewers asked me multiple questions about that!
I am trying to PM you but it wont let me. Can you PM me?