2019-2020 Texas Tech, El Paso

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know of any resources that might help me learn more about challenges facing the Hispanic population in El Paso?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of any resources that might help me learn more about challenges facing the Hispanic population in El Paso?

Short of recommending any specific books or even articles, I think the best thing you can do for the interview here, for other schools, and yourself is to stay caught up on current events if you are not already. Keep a sharp eye out for healthcare issues (particularly access, disparity) and immigration issues. Not only should you be able to discuss these issues, you should at least be able to work towards your personal stance. It is not wrong to not have a position, but saying "I don't know" without any follow up or questions is the wrong answer.

If you need a starting point, look into the ACA and get a brief idea of what it did, and find out why they did it and find out why there are now calls for change from both parties (again, briefly). Then look into what is happening with immigration policy and issues, even over the past year, and find how these two topics connect. There are plenty of "recap" articles, just mind your source. Ask yourself "why?" a couple times and your curiosity will lead the way. Remember, you are not writing an essay, you are informing yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Question: I know it's a little late to ask this, but I guess I might as well ask anyway. In my secondary portal under status, it says that my application has been completed and all materials received since early July. However, I never received any confirmation email that my secondary was received nor that my application was complete. For TT Lubbock I got two emails after I finished my secondary: one that said my secondary was received and one that said my application was complete. Nothing here though.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Should I go ahead and contact the admissions office by email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: I know it's a little late to ask this, but I guess I might as well ask anyway. In my secondary portal under status, it says that my application has been completed and all materials received since early July. However, I never received any confirmation email that my secondary was received nor that my application was complete. For TT Lubbock I got two emails after I finished my secondary: one that said my secondary was received and one that said my application was complete. Nothing here though.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Should I go ahead and contact the admissions office by email?
Same with me. I am confident it is complete, even if an email was not sent.

I think you will be fine, I did not received a confirmation email that my secondary was received/complete and I received an interview from this school last week.

Anybody else driving from Houston and interviewing on Oct 3rd? I don’t think I will be able to fly out there so maybe we can split the cost of driving an air bnb!

Hi all,

Just recently found out about the forum. Very good advices and support here. I did my interview at Paul Foster yesterday. I can say that the interview is very chilling, the professors do make you feel comfortable and relaxed. However, be ready to face some questions about ethical dilemmas, and you will be tested for your sound judgement, moral responsibility, and maturity.

received a II today! i was complete 7/16

Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone (females) interviewing October 17th want to split a hotel and a car?

Anyone else get a letter post II telling them to rank them number one?

Recently interviewed here. Wow. Blown away by this school and program, and most importantly its people. Top choice for sure.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Oh shoot just checked the mail and you’re right. That’s super cool of them.

I was honestly so impressed with the school and the people in El Paso and I’m so happy I got to interview there

Submitted primary here back in May, but have been sitting on secondary until now because I’ve never been to El Paso and my friends from big Texas cities told me they couldn’t see me there (I’m not from Texas) I keep getting emails from them prompting me to do the secondary. Does this mean anything? Everything I’ve read about the school sounds incredible, I just figured that since I have no connection or service related to latinx-specific issues I probably wouldn’t be considered anyway. Any thoughts? Is it too late?

Submitted primary here back in May, but have been sitting on secondary until now because I’ve never been to El Paso and my friends from big Texas cities told me they couldn’t see me there (I’m not from Texas) I keep getting emails from them prompting me to do the secondary. Does this mean anything? Everything I’ve read about the school sounds incredible, I just figured that since I have no connection or service related to latinx-specific issues I probably wouldn’t be considered anyway. Any thoughts? Is it too late?

I am not sure how meaningful or not the secondary notifications are, though I imagine they are reminders more than anything. The school prides itself on diversity; I imagine the admissions committee would like to see the service you do have, even if it is not "latinx-specific". We have students from all over the world, and issues we see on the border are not the only issues that are worth discussing.

That said, here is a really simple way to look at it... Would you rather submit your secondary and chance an interview and acceptance at PLFSOM (knowing your current list, the tuition you would pay, geographic preference, etc.), or go through the application cycle again next year?

has the school appeared on anyone's rank list from those who interviewed on 9/19 or before?

My CASPer scores were delivered almost 1 month ago but application status still marks scores as missing? Has this happened to anyone?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question for a medical student who's currently at Tech, El Paso or for someone who's recently interviewed and can remember:

I know they have a Distinction in Anatomy program, but do all MS1s get to participate in a full a full-body cadaver dissection (obviously in groups) during their anatomy block? Or are the bodies essentially prepped by those in the distinction program?

I have a question for a medical student who's currently at Tech, El Paso or for someone who's recently interviewed and can remember:

I know they have a Distinction in Anatomy program, but do all MS1s get to participate in a full a full-body cadaver dissection (obviously in groups) during their anatomy block? Or are the bodies essentially prepped by those in the distinction program?
The MS1s do not do a full body dissection during the block, the Distinction in Anatomy student prepare the bodies for the MS1 class.

There is not an anatomy block like how is traditionally seen. Instead, specific anatomy topics are discussed as part of the systems-based curriculum. As an example, during the GI unit/"block", the few anatomy lab sessions will focus on the various components of that system. The anatomy is spread out over the 2 pre-clinical years, though a majority is done during MS1.

Qualifying MS1s can apply for and participate in the Distinction in Anatomy program during the summer between MS1 and MS2. These students do perform dissections, under guidance, in order to prepare prosections for students to learn from in the year to follow. Those Distinction in Anatomy students will be the anatomy TAs for MS1s and MS2s which includes teaching during the sessions. All students will learn from the prosections, and will not do dissection outside of that specific program. That said, the use of prosections seems to be increasingly favored as it saves many hours a week by focusing on the anatomy itself as opposed to the process of dissection, though there is still debate on that topic.

Anyone else driving from Houston to El Paso and would rather take one car and split the driving time???

Also does anyone know if those student housing would allow me to stay one more night. Kind of don’t want to drive 11 hours through the night right after an interview day. My funds are extremely low so I won’t be able to rent a place or anything

Also does anyone know if those student housing would allow me to stay one more night. Kind of don’t want to drive 11 hours through the night right after an interview day. My funds are extremely low so I won’t be able to rent a place or anything

Contact the student(s) involved. If, worst case scenario, you just can't find anyone to host an additional night, DM me.
We won't make anyone go homeless for a night.

Contact the student(s) involved. If, worst case scenario, you just can't find anyone to host an additional night, DM me.
We won't make anyone go homeless for a night.

Thank you so much! Emailed the students involved with housing since I haven’t heard back since I signed up for it but they said no one has signed up to be a host yet so now I am out of luck for both the night before my interview and after

Thank you so much! Emailed the students involved with housing since I haven’t heard back since I signed up for it but they said no one has signed up to be a host yet so now I am out of luck for both the night before my interview and after

I see 3 people who don't yet have hosts on our housing excel sheet. You should be hearing back pretty soon.

I got one thank you!!!

Have a safe drive. Depending on your car mileage, my route from HTown is usually:

Houston --> San Antonio --> Junction --> Fort Stockton --> Van Horn --> El Paso
Vary fuel stops as needed. For reference, Fort Stockton is ~250 mi out from EP.
After Van Horn there aren't too many stops, so I'd recommend a restroom break there before you drive the last ~2h. Be wary of speedtraps coming into city limits. Cheers!

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have an idea of how many interviews are left?

Anyone still show CASPer as not received? My portal shows that secondary is received, but I have not received a "complete email, or show any kind of status of "under review."
I've already called admissions office about 2 weeks ago and was told there was a glitch with them receiving CASPer results. Anyone that is complete, get a complete email or under review email?

Hope this week's interviewees had a positive experience!
Just posting again to let everyone know I'm more than happy to answer any questions regarding the school, interview day, curriculum, etc. Best of luck with your cycles.

Hope this week's interviewees had a positive experience!
Just posting again to let everyone know I'm more than happy to answer any questions regarding the school, interview day, curriculum, etc. Best of luck with your cycles.
Can you elaborate on research opportunities?

Can you elaborate on research opportunities?

Depends on you. The school offers some assistance in connecting you to researchers that want help, but for specific opportunities you're on your own. Want research in [X]? Find someone who works on that, reach out via email/cold-call the office, and ask if they have any projects you can help out with.

The nice thing is that we're the only medical school in the area, and thus don't really need to compete with other students. Another thing is the UTEP campus has abundant resources and very, very nice facilities, and you have access to the faculty there as well!

Depends on you. The school offers some assistance in connecting you to researchers that want help, but for specific opportunities you're on your own. Want research in [X]? Find someone who works on that, reach out via email/cold-call the office, and ask if they have any projects you can help out with.

The nice thing is that we're the only medical school in the area, and thus don't really need to compete with other students. Another thing is the UTEP campus has abundant resources and very, very nice facilities, and you have access to the faculty there as well!

Would you say that there are a lot of opportunities to do clinical research? Or are the research opportunities more basic science based? I am curious because some of the more competitive specialities require a lot of research/publications, and it is typically easier to get more publications doing clinical research.

Would you say that there are a lot of opportunities to do clinical research? Or are the research opportunities more basic science based? I am curious because some of the more competitive specialities require a lot of research/publications, and it is typically easier to get more publications doing clinical research.

I personally didn't enjoy wet labs and bench work during my undergraduate years, so I'm pursuing alternate clinical projects and not having too much difficulty finding options. If you're comfortable reaching out to a variety of physicians, it's pretty straightforward to find whatever you want. A lot of physicians/researchers are also pretty open to supporting you if you already have a personal project in mind, or you can just hop onto whatever else they've got going on.

Does anyone know if pre-match acceptances come out right after midnight? or later in the morning?

If I interviewed 2 weeks ago would I be considered in this first wave of prematch offers?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Pre match!

Reactions: 3 users
Pre match!

Congratulations!! Was your email also at 10:04 like the poster above you? Just trying to figure out if it was one email to all prematchers or if there’s hope.

Congratulations!! Was your email also at 10:04 like the poster above you? Just trying to figure out if it was one email to all prematchers or if there’s hope.
Yes, it was. If you didn't get one, hang in there-there's still plenty of opportunity to get accepted!!