Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2014 – 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"No regrets? not even one letter?"

And yes, Hayes is an OPP stud and so is Dr. Thompson. We've got a good crew here.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• no ragrets.jpeg
    no ragrets.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: 1 user
Getting excited about interview here next week. Will be my first of the cycle (and first med school interview ever). I tend to do really well in job interviews, so hoping that translates well. From the reviews, it sounds like a pretty low stress situation, and 20 minutes is not much time at all. Have been looking over school, SAMC, and SE Alabama region for a while, but need to buckle down a bit more this week in my preparation.
Any thoughts by other nontraditional students on ACOM interview?

I know this sounds selfish but I'm watching the interview portal like a hawk/falcon/eagle for someone with earlier date to cancel or switch.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this sounds selfish but I'm watching the interview portal like a hawk/falcon/eagle for someone with earlier date to cancel or switch.
Doesn't sound selfish, sounds determined.

Getting excited about interview here next week. Will be my first of the cycle (and first med school interview ever). I tend to do really well in job interviews, so hoping that translates well. From the reviews, it sounds like a pretty low stress situation, and 20 minutes is not much time at all. Have been looking over school, SAMC, and SE Alabama region for a while, but need to buckle down a bit more this week in my preparation.
Any thoughts by other nontraditional students on ACOM interview?

being non traditional is a plus. just relax and let them see who you are. preparation this week? breathe, it isn't a test but a chance for you to get to know a few faculty that will be your reps in front of the admissions committee. you know who you are and that is what they will be looking for.

Yes! I was at the interview Friday. I'm the guy that HADN'T solved a rubix cube. Haha

I'm anxiously awaiting to hear something now as I'm sure everyone else is as well!

Well since we're all identifying ourselves, I'm the guy who does solve rubix cubes for fun.

Reactions: 1 users
being non traditional is a plus. just relax and let them see who you are. preparation this week? breathe, it isn't a test but a chance for you to get to know a few faculty that will be your reps in front of the admissions committee. you know who you are and that is what they will be looking for.
Thanks for this. I think I just need to review my application and essays the few days leading up to it. I'll look back to the reasons that I decided to apply to ACOM, and what excites me about the opportunity to study there.

Oh, I get it. They all look the same to you...

Any luck getting an earlier spot?

I can get an earlier spot if you drop...

Do you guys thinks OOS has a shot here...
I am just freaking about a bit bc this may be my last interview of the cycle....

I felt they were very friendly towards non-trads. I actually had the wrong group of interviewers (group of two) come get me because they "wanted" to interview me (Their confession, not mine!). They didn't even realize I was the wrong person until they looked at their schedule again after we had sat down in the office. Then they apologized profusely and told me to find them after the interviews were completed so they could talk about my plans (I live about 20-25 mins away from the school).

My "correct" interviewers were VERY conversational. One PhD, one DO. Went into the office and just had a conversation right off the bat about why I enjoyed being stationed at Fort Rucker. Talked about the weather, talked about plans with the wife and kids (and dog), talked about plans to further incorporate OMT into the Army and the Armed Forces. My PhD interviewer talked about his future research and his attempts to secure grants in order to begin. By that time, 30 mins had come and gone and they needed to kick me out.

Overall, they set the tone because they wanted my "true" feelings and not the canned "Why DO, Why Medicine, Why Physician, etc". They definitely engaged the non-trad card and how I enjoyed working up to this point in my professional career. I would not be nervous whatsoever but be prepared to answer the typical non-trad question: why medicine NOW? In my case, I stated I wanted to serve my country on active duty and get some "life experience", and some deployments, before becoming a physician.

I know we have chatted before but if you need anything else, please let me know.
Sounds like a nice way to start the interview. Good ice breaker. :)
I think there are some natural things that will come out in the conversation based on my application, and these are easy things for me to talk about. I have also had to get more comfortable articulating answers to the why medicine now? question. At 36, I get it pretty regularly. I know the time will be up before I even realize it, and I'm not too worried about it. I'm glad this will be my first interview.
Aside from that, I'm really looking forward to visiting the school and seeing the area. Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know if anything comes up. Hope your cycle continues to be exciting, and that we run into each other more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can get an earlier spot if you drop...

Do you guys thinks OOS has a shot here...
I am just freaking about a bit bc this may be my last interview of the cycle....
Not me big dog, I'd drop a lot of other schools' interviews before this one. Just personal preference I guess.
I'm not from Alabama, but I am from Texas. I think there are a lot of people at the school, and being interviewed, who are not from the state, or even the region. I'm sure as acceptances start coming out, people will be dropping interview slots. I can't imagine a November or December slot will be plenty early for ACOM.
Good luck!

OOS should be fine. They said about 50% come from GA/AL/FL and the other 50% from the rest of the U.S.

Why no one is taking the 12/12 spot (my old) is weird but...

and whoever that canceled their 9/26 interview...
f#*k you!
I'm on that portal more than I am on facebook.
Actually, SDN is like my new facebook...

Fellas,
is taking a flight to Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport in Florida and getting a rental car the cheapest way to travel?

Fellas,
is taking a flight to Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport in Florida and getting a rental car the cheapest way to travel?
I flew into Montgomery and rented a car. I had a pretty cheap trip overall.

What will make you angrier? Two people didn't show up for their interview on 9/26.....their name tents just sat in the middle of the table all alone!

god dam% fu#*ers!!! This is one of the most important interviews of our lives/career!!!
At least they won't take my acceptance!

Well I was glad for one of the folks that dropped 9/26 when I got my II the evening before. I dropped everything and went to Dothan, LOL!

Guys, I heard ACOM isn't that good of a school. So if you have an interview coming up, you should cancel it and if you have an acceptance, you shouldn't bother interviewing there. Just saying.
Interviewing here tomorrow . see some of you guys soon.
good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.
Just let us know how the interview is like if you can.
Go to sleep now... don't think about other things.... while that's probably impossible...

Guys, I heard ACOM isn't that good of a school. So if you have an interview coming up, you should cancel it and if you have an acceptance, you shouldn't bother interviewing there. Just saying.

good luck, I'm sure you'll do well.
Just let us know how the interview is like if you can.
Go to sleep now... don't think about other things.... while that's probably impossible...
Eh... I am not too worried. I will take a good long survey for everybody.

Hey, I'm interviewing here in December and just wanted to pass along my good vibes for everyone interviewing today! I drove through Dothan and had lunch a few weeks ago, it was a really nice town. Good luck! :)

Hey, I'm interviewing here in December and just wanted to pass along my good vibes for everyone interviewing today! I drove through Dothan and had lunch a few weeks ago, it was a really nice town. Good luck! :)
Dothan is a great place. Love your username.

Anyone else from the 26 SEP interview group waiting for a phone call (hopefully today)?
Yeah that would be me. I'm thinking since they have interviews today it will be later this afternoon. I'm just dying.

Anyone else from the 26 SEP interview group waiting for a phone call (hopefully today)?

I'm really hoping we hear something this afternoon...

Yeah that would be me. I'm thinking since they have interviews today it will be later this afternoon. I'm just dying.
Sitting at another interview obsessively checking SDN and praying for my phone to ring.....

10/10? Can you actually fly out in time for that? The tickets going to sting haha
I think I'm driving.... 14.5 hours...
I need to calculate...

with stops, like 16-17 hours...

I need to calculate...
it'll be ~$800 in total if I fly,
~$500 if I drive... +pain

Do you guys think they will be ready with my files on the 10th??

I need to calculate...
it'll be ~$800 in total if I fly,
~$500 if I drive... +pain

Do you guys think they will be ready with my files on the 10th??

Yah, they have everything ready when they sent their invitation out.

glad to help out. I really loved what i read about ACOM, heard only good things about dothan too. I chose lecom-bradenton because i am set on PBL but otherwise my two top choices after that were nsu and acom

glad to help out. I really loved what i read about ACOM, heard only good things about dothan too. I chose lecom-bradenton because i am set on PBL but otherwise my two top choices after that were nsu and acom
Thank you. Good luck at PBL.

may i suggest an AMTRAK bus or train.... there's an airport in pensacola and nearby cities...

F$$$ it, driving it is!

I'll be close to a 20 hour drive with all the rests and stuff...
Hope I don't crash and die...

Now I need to take off from work...

I don't think that's worth the money you'll save. You don't want to risk being extremely exhausted for your interview or have some unforeseen delay on the road prevent you from making it...

Flying into Atlanta drops the price considerably. Renting a car and driving down from there doesn't sound so bad. That's actually what I'm doing. Depending on where you're flying out of, flights into Atlanta are still less than $500.

Flying into Atlanta drops the price considerably. Renting a car and driving down from there doesn't sound so bad. That's actually what I'm doing. Depending on where you're flying out of, flights into Atlanta are still less than $500.
I flew into ATL round trip for $280 and rented a car. Quick and easy drive to Dothan.

I flew into ATL round trip for $280 and rented a car. Quick and easy drive to Dothan.
Yeah, I think I got hotel, car, and flight for right at $500. Looking forward to the drive. Pretty country?

I'll think about it during my work today...
I'm now leaning towards flying or AMTRAKS...

Why can't we warp space yet...

Not looking good for a decision today :/