Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello! For those of you who interviewed already, did you receive an itinerary ahead of time with the names of the faculty that would be interviewing you? Also, I know the interview is open file but does that mean they have access to your grades and MCAT scores? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! For those of you who interviewed already, did you receive an itinerary ahead of time with the names of the faculty that would be interviewing you? Also, I know the interview is open file but does that mean they have access to your grades and MCAT scores? Thanks!

No, the extent of the itinerary was available online (rough overview of how the day would proceed). Did not who'd be interviewing me until they were in front of me!
Yes - it looked like they had my entire AACOMAS app in front of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No, the extent of the itinerary was available online (rough overview of how the day would proceed). Did not who'd be interviewing me until they were in front of me!
Yes - it looked like they had my entire AACOMAS app in front of them.

Thanks for the info!

They had everything I submitted to AACOMAS and in the secondary. They asked meaningful questions suggesting they (unlike some schools) actually read through my materials, which I appreciated as to me it shows interest in the person vs. just glancing at #'s.

I really liked ACOM's passion, friendliness, and quality of program, which is why I'll be in their class of 2020. :)

Reactions: 7 users
They had everything I submitted to AACOMAS and in the secondary. They asked meaningful questions suggesting they (unlike some schools) actually read through my materials, which I appreciated as to me it shows interest in the person vs. just glancing at #'s.

I really liked ACOM's passion, friendliness, and quality of program, which is why I'll be in their class of 2020. :)

I agree like they asked me really specific questions related to my personal statement, like my bullying incidents, and financial troubles in the family, which I really appreciated and it looked like they really cared, if ACOM was a more cheaper, it would have been my top choice for sure, also the location, loved the people but a little bit to small for my liking!

I agree like they asked me really specific questions related to my personal statement, like my bullying incidents, and financial troubles in the family, which I really appreciated and it looked like they really cared, if ACOM was a more cheaper, it would have been my top choice for sure, also the location, loved the people but a little bit to small for my liking!

Me three - I was really impressed with how much attention they seemed to have paid to preparing for my interview. One of my interviewers already had copious notes before I even arrived in the room! Definitely gave me a better feeling than other interviews I've had and got us off on the right foot since they knew the key things to ask/focus on. Like DrMikeP, one of the reasons I'll be putting down a deposit in the next week or so!

Reactions: 3 users
@DrMikeP excited to rub shoulders with you next year!! I echo what others have said about the school. I couldn't be happier to be a student at ACOM!

Reactions: 6 users
Me three - I was really impressed with how much attention they seemed to have paid to preparing for my interview. One of my interviewers already had copious notes before I even arrived in the room! Definitely gave me a better feeling than other interviews I've had and got us off on the right foot since they knew the key things to ask/focus on. Like DrMikeP, one of the reasons I'll be putting down a deposit in the next week or so!
I had a great interview experience as well. They seemed really interested in my non-traditional major and were invested in the interview. I loved everything about this school. For soooo many reasons I will also be putting down my deposit in the next few weeks and am super excited to be a part of the 2020 class! woohoo! ;)

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone from 11/20 interviews hear anything yet? Nothing on my end yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one, came from my interview kind of disappointed from what I’ve seen. One of the people from their staff was very rude to me before the interview. Also, I've heard some not so good stories about this place. One of my friends who is an oms 2 told me that during their OPP labs they get to work various techniques in pairs and the pairs get checked from time to time by the staff present in the lab. So my friend has got this old lady (a D.O I’ve been told) pushing her really hard and straight down through the opp table a few times, namely for the <sake of demonstration. It was also funny to hear her explaining how it was not the technique requiring the partner to be so extremely brutal but this woman’s craziness who picked on her repeatedly. I guess she was getting some revenge on her spine :naughty: Just imagine you lying down flat on the table with your face down and this person who is supposed to teach you a “better way” to do the technique gets some sweat out of you because she didn’t like your face the minute before. She tried to complain about it but noticed that only made the things worse

I for one, came from my interview kind of disappointed from what I’ve seen. One of the people from their staff was very rude to me before the interview. Also, I've heard some not so good stories about this place. One of my friends who is an oms 2 told me that during their OPP labs they get to work various techniques in pairs and the pairs get checked from time to time by the staff present in the lab. So my friend has got this old lady (a D.O I’ve been told) pushing her really hard and straight down through the opp table a few times, namely for the <sake of demonstration. It was also funny to hear her explaining how it was not the technique requiring the partner to be so extremely brutal but this woman’s craziness who picked on her repeatedly. I guess she was getting some revenge on her spine :naughty: Just imagine you lying down flat on the table with your face down and this person who is supposed to teach you a “better way” to do the technique gets some sweat out of you because she didn’t like your face the minute before. She tried to complain about it but noticed that only made the things worse

I hate that your experience was a negative one and that you are relating someone else's anecdote on here. I know the exact professor you are referring to. This "old lady" is a DO and runs her own successful practice. She volunteers her time to help us learn and has treated me successfully many times. Your friend that is an OMSII may have not understood the technique that was being demonstrated or there was some type of miscommunication that should have been handled between them. I highly doubt that the professor was exacting some sort of revenge.

I see that you also have acceptances to CCOM and VCOM Auburn so perhaps you came to your interview and were experiencing some confirmational bias in your interactions. If you had a negative experience with a staff member that you consider rude I'm sure the school would love to know about what transpired so as to avoid it happening in the future.

Does ACOM have issues? Of course it does, but I would hold our staff and OPP faculty up against any in the country for their knowledge, abilities, friendliness, and willingness to help.

Feel free to tell your friend that I would love to hear her story first hand. My name is Byron.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, I interviewed yesterday and I am absolutely blown away by the school. Dr. Hayes' passion for OMM is extremely contagious. Dr. Reynolds also mentioned that previous interviewees that haven't heard about a decision will hear back in about 1-2 weeks. The dean has been out of town and he and Dr. Reynolds make final decisions on acceptances. He also said he would be making phone calls to accepted individuals. So keep a look out for a Dothan area code on your caller ID.

Hey everyone, I interviewed yesterday and I am absolutely blown away by the school. Dr. Hayes' passion for OMM is extremely contagious. Dr. Reynolds also mentioned that previous interviewees that haven't heard about a decision will hear back in about 1-2 weeks. The dean has been out of town and he and Dr. Reynolds make final decisions on acceptances. He also said he would be making phone calls to accepted individuals. So keep a look out for a Dothan area code on your caller ID.

Dr. Hayes was at a conference when I interviewed, heard all about him though. Wish we could have heard some of what he had to say!

Dr. Hayes was at a conference when I interviewed, heard all about him though. Wish we could have heard some of what he had to say!
After the first sentence he spoke, I could tell he was extremely passionate about what he does. I can't wait to learn from him!!

I'm sad I didn't get to meet Dr. Hayes at my interview. He sounds awesome! Putting down my deposit this week, though, so I can't wait to meet him in the fall!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Dr. Hayes always gets a standing ovation when he speaks at interviews, he is a remarkable professor, Dr. Thompson and him, like Byron said, make our OPP department one of the best in the country.

People who can figure out who I am (easy task) can attest to the fact that I've been one of the more vocal people with suggestions about what I would change to make ACOM my ideal medical school. I'm not someone who would ever be chosen to be a student ambassador. I say all this to put the following comments in context.

The story you described is so contrary to my perception of this physician in the story that I could only imagine that playing out if your friend ran over the physician's puppy. Then came back and put up a sign by the body asserting her dominance.

Even then, if it truly played out exactly as your friend framed it, then things were quite underplayed. Abusing a medical modality for some fleeting sense of pleasure would be so contrary to the mission and image of a medical school would have resulted in that physician being quietly shuffled out. Not doubling down and risking a scandal with a future student. I suppose I can't preclude the possibility of some large, silent faction of my class experiencing the same scenario you described. I'll gladly eat my words if that's the case. I don't think I'll need to.

Of course it would be unreasonable for you to not believe the word of your friend, because well, she's your friend. And I'm not mad at or even irritated by your friend, because I doubt that she didn't mean well. She was just looking out for you. But it's so easy to be frustrated about something in (or outside of) medical school and inappropriately perceive an otherwise neutral interaction to be negative. It's happened to the best of us. I don't wish to discount your interaction with the faculty member you felt was rude, but as Byron said, I hope you pass that on to the school, they'd take that very seriously.

At any rate, congratulations on your acceptance! I'm sure this is a very exciting time for you, make the best of your free time. I do encourage you to keep these responses in the back of your mind. Perhaps if you ever have a negative experience that you feel strongly about, you'll take the time to consider if your perceptions are skewed. I think your friend's might have been.

I am sure this has been asked before, but I was not able to find it. My status changed to "Interview Requested" on 12/4. Do you guys know about how long it normally takes to receive the e-mail for the formal invitation once the portal has changed?
Thanks!

I am sure this has been asked before, but I was not able to find it. My status changed to "Interview Requested" on 12/4. Do you guys know about how long it normally takes to receive the e-mail for the formal invitation once the portal has changed?
Thanks!

Based on previous posts, seems to be a day or two.

Any consensus here about chances once you get an II?

Thanks!
Congrats! When were you complete?

Just got the phone call that I'm in. First interview and first acceptance!

Interviewed 11/20

Reactions: 8 users
Whoop, just got my II!!! Interview dates seem to be around January at the soonest or was I just late? lol

11/20 Interviewer...Accepted an hour ago!

Complete November 20th but I sent my secondary in early October. Had trouble with letters of recommendation being sent to aacomas so that caused some delay. I'll see everyone January 15th!

Picked Jan 22 since flights and hotels are cheaper for me.
Anyone else going on the 22nd?

Last edited:
Picked Jan 22 since flights and hotels are cheaper for me. I have friends in ATL so I'll be spending my weekend there. I wish I had the extra money to do jan 15. :(
Anyone else going on the 22nd?
Oh no! I was hoping to meet you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up my interview slot. Hope one of you lovely SDN members get it! ACOM is not the medical school for me!

I gave up my interview slot. Hope one of you lovely SDN members get it! ACOM is not the medical school for me!

This is the third time that you've posted about giving up your interview slot at this school. Do you feel strongly about this school in some way?

This is the third time that you've posted about giving up your interview slot at this school. Do you feel strongly about this school in some way?
LOL I was thinking the same thing ! But maybe he really did just do it

I'm glad you've been counting. I was only thinking about it before now. I JUST gave it up officially. Thanks for noticing ;)

Portal changed to II requested! First one of the cycle! I'm stoked!!!

Hey can you send me a link to the portal? I thought this whole time AcOm doesn't use one!

They send you the info/credentials through email! Mine were caught in my spam folder. Check yours! If you can't find it, I'll get the link but you need to use what they send to log in.