Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
.how long was it between your all's complete email (saying they will notify you within 3 weeks) and a II invitation? thank you
Mine was in 2 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Phew. that is awesome news! I was just hoping since I mean once you commit I would like to have a broad area of medical understanding and obvi the best way to do that would be to have first hand experience. But it seems like ACOM can provide that. another reason to choose it
ACOM is set up with a preceptor base for clinicals. You might rotate in Dothan or you might rotate in Birmingham. You could rotate in a small town too. We have 22 core sights from Florence, AL in the north of the state to Tallahassee, FL in the southern region. Your exposure is not limited in any way other than what you limit yourself to. One of the pluses of being preceptor based is that you aren't fighting residents, interns, and others above you to get to do things. I know classmates of mine have already been first assist on many surgeries and have delivered plenty of babies. That's lots of exposure in my opinion.

Reactions: 5 users
ACOM is set up with a preceptor base for clinicals. You might rotate in Dothan or you might rotate in Birmingham. You could rotate in a small town too. We have 22 core sights from Florence, AL in the north of the state to Tallahassee, FL in the southern region. Your exposure is not limited in any way other than what you limit yourself to. One of the pluses of being preceptor based is that you aren't fighting residents, interns, and others above you to get to do things. I know classmates of mine have already been first assist on many surgeries and have delivered plenty of babies. That's lots of exposure in my opinion.

How was your pediatric rotation? What will you do in there? I'm curious because I'm super interested in peds...

Members don't see this ad :)
For those already interviewed and sent thank you emails, just out of curiosity, did you guys get a reply email from your interviewers?
I got a reply from one of my interviewers. That was the only one I ever received from out of all the schools I've interviewed at. It was nice to see that the faculty are so welcoming and personally invested in the success of their students!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How was your pediatric rotation? What will you do in there? I'm curious because I'm super interested in peds...
i have deferred my clinicals in order to do the fellowship in OPP and Anatomy.

Best of luck to those of you expecting admissions decisions today. Hoping for lots of phone calls for you all.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
So I changed my interview date from Dec to Sep through the portal. Should I call them to confirm or just show up?

It's only Monday.. Waiting until Thursday to possibly hear a decision is going to make this week extremely long. I LOVED ACOM and have every finger and toe crossed. Good luck everyone

So I changed my interview date from Dec to Sep through the portal. Should I call them to confirm or just show up?

Roll the dice. It's more fun to live on the edge brother.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Staring at my phone. "Who can it be now?" Is on loop in my head. Lol.

Reactions: 1 users
I forgot did Dr. Reynolds say that the friday group on 9/9 might also hear today as well?

Lol. They will call when u least expected

I second this. Was doing military press when I got the call. Nearly broke my spine fumbling with the weights to answer the call. I ended up getting the voicemail but it's nice because now I have the recording forever!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 6 users
I'm fairly certain he said the 09/02 would be today. I know he said the 09/09 people would either be this Thursday or the following Monday because they have that conference Friday in CA.

Maybe they make calls after the office closes? Like after the regular work day is over? I think it's about 5pm AL time isn't it?

Anybody heading to ACOM for Sept 23rd interview?

You guys think I can cram interview prep in a week? Or keep my date and interview October 28th?

Last edited:
You guys think I can cram interview prep in a week? Or keep my date and interview October 28th?

I think any prep more than a week would be overkill. Just know your application and be yourself. It's pretty relaxed

I think any prep more than a week would be overkill. Just know your application and be yourself. It's pretty relaxed

That made me feel better, but I like to be over prepared, especially for ethics. I got an Oct. 7th date now so it's a good compromise. Sept. 23rd date is gone now.

Should we call the school and let them know we changed our interview date?

Has anyone heard from the 9/2 interview?
So, I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee and the phone rings once, then silence. I look, its a (331) area code and Dothan is a (334) area code. The 33 had me excited, but no, nothing here yet either.

So, I'm sitting here drinking my morning coffee and the phone rings once, then silence. I look, its a (331) area code and Dothan is a (334) area code. The 33 had me excited, but no, nothing here yet either.
If you are using iphone, the Dothan,AL will display haha!! Chill. I bet you guys won't received called until it's about 3:00 pm in Dothan.

Lol I guess it's going to be Friday.

i would be pleasantly surprised if he called us from his cell at that conference

Oh yeah, he did mention that! He probably would call us casually during his lunch break.

Have they given any indication as to how full their class is?

I submitted my secondary on the the aug 23rd and got the secondary received on aug 31st but I am still not complete...should i be worried?