Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
was the first available date to interview like December 9th for you guys? that seems so far away

Members don't see this ad.

II received this morning as well!! Seems like only dates available are in December. Is it possible to change your date if an earlier slot opens up?

Reactions: 1 users
was the first available date to interview like December 9th for you guys? that seems so far away

Yes it is. I was thinking the same thing, but I think if an earlier slot opens up later you can snatch it. Idk though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would watch that calendar very closely, spots will likely open up at some point.

Oh well, better interview late than never! congrats

Slots open up all the time. Just check early and often. There was a slot for Sept. 23rd this morning and there are still slots for November. My Oct. 28th slot, which I gave up last week, was there for several days. To the people with no interview invite yet, I'm not even sure they sent any new invitations since mid August. The December 9th slots are mostly there and they've been up for several weeks already. The II aren't moving right now, which means they're still being handed out eventually.

Last edited:
Slots open up all the time. Just check early and often. There was a slot for Sept. 23rd this morning and there are still slots for November. My Oct. 28th slot, which I gave up last week, was there for several days. To the people with no interview invite yet, I'm not even sure they sent any new invitations since mid August. The December 9th slots are mostly there and they've been up for several weeks already. The II aren't moving right now, which means they're still being handed out eventually.
can you switch dates? I already snagged a Dec. 9th slot but would much rather interview in October for a better chance of getting accepted. Thanks

can you switch dates? I already snagged a Dec. 9th slot but would much rather interview in October for a better chance of getting accepted. Thanks
Yes you can, if an earlier date opens up

Unreserve your slot and reserve again.

Just received an II! My first one!

Question about interview dates & flights:
- How soon should we book a flight? However, if an earlier spot opens, but I have already booked my flight for December, does that mean I would have to deal with the flight tickets and stuff?

Thanks!

Anyone else that received an acceptance call last week still not receive any of the emails that were supposedly on the way? Getting worried!

Members don't see this ad :)

- How soon should we book a flight? However, if an earlier spot opens, but I have already booked my flight for December, does that mean I would have to deal with the flight tickets and stuff?

Thanks!

As far as I know yes, that would be an issue. Sometimes you can pay a small fee and you'll get a refund if you cancel your flight.

I'm going to wait a bit longer to buy a ticket, just in case an earlier date does open.

Congrats!!!

Thanks!
honestly if you fly to ATL and then drive to dothan, the flights will always be cheapish regardless of when u book, i booked my flight a week before my interview and it was about 150$, but thats flying to atl....if ur tryna fly to dothan, GG

Anyone else that received an acceptance call last week still not receive any of the emails that were supposedly on the way? Getting worried!
i just received a generic letter from webadmit saying congrats, but not the two or three emails that Dr.R said we would get....

So I just received an email with the required materials checklist and it said they received my physician letter but not my two science letters.

I used a neuroscience and pharmacology professor from my SMP since I have been out of school for some time.

Safe to assume they don't count those as "biology, chemistry, or physics?"

Have already emailed them before regarding this but got no response.

Are you planning for Sep 23rd?

Print out all your info. Put into folder. Read the night before.

You'll know your information better than they will already, hopefully. For my interview in August they didn't even have my application. He had no idea what I did/who I was/My grades. he actually asked me if there were any grades he would be surprised about. I told him I got a C- in Orgo III. It didn't seem to matter, I got in!

I think they do arrange you with an interviewer before you come because if it is random, there is no way they know your files that super well. However, I don't think they make a decision before the interview

My interview was pretty laid back and relax and both side enjoys the conversations. I even forgot it was time, and my interviewer also took me to see his lab as well...
I did get asked on why I have a bad grade in anatomy but that was all about it!!! Rule of thunb is know your apps WELL

I actually disagree. My interviewer didn't even know he was interviewing that day. He got assigned last minute. My other interviewer was one of the librarians. Both very nice and I learned a lot from them about the area/their pasts/ACOMs strengths and weaknesses!

Thanks guys for your responses. Okay, I will look into the hotels that they school provided. I think taking a shuttle to the school will be my safest bet.

Sorry for all the questions but any cabs in the area? Taxis? I looked up Dothan city taxis and there seems to be a few services, just don't know how accessible they are from the hotel I am staying at. I need to go from my hotel to the Greyhound station in Dothan so not sure how I'll do that.
You will be hanging out with a group of altruistic over-achievers. I would bet dollars to donuts that one of them will drop you at the bus station. It may seem awkward to ask but I found that the 20 plus people in my group were all pretty friendly.

Does anybody know if lectures are recorded?

No worry. It takes 2 weeks for the official letter to arrive in the mail.
The deposit email will arrive soon this week I suppose. But it's 2 weeks for me also.

II received this morning as well!! Seems like only dates available are in December. Is it possible to change your date if an earlier slot opens up?
Yes and you will get earlier slots if you are lucky. This is what I did, my interview date was Dec and I changed to Sep.

As far as I know yes, that would be an issue. Sometimes you can pay a small fee and you'll get a refund if you cancel your flight.

I'm going to wait a bit longer to buy a ticket, just in case an earlier date does open.

Congrats!!!

Thanks for the input! Any suggestions on how early/late I should purchase a ticket? I'm just afraid there's not a good time that works for my schedule if I wait too late since December is a busy month for flights. :/

Interviewing December 2nd pretty excited

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So I just received an email with the required materials checklist and it said they received my physician letter but not my two science letters.

I used a neuroscience and pharmacology professor from my SMP since I have been out of school for some time.

Safe to assume they don't count those as "biology, chemistry, or physics?"

Have already emailed them before regarding this but got no response.

Hmmm, that shouldn't be it. I specifically applied to this school because I don't have two LORs from science professors. I'm a non-trad student also. I had a LOR from a cell phys teacher, a physician, and a boss.

*EDIT: OH @#$%, did I picked the wrong school and somehow got a II?

"
Two letters of recommendation are required: a pre-medical
advisor or committee (or letters from two science
professors who taught the required sciences) on
official letterhead with credentials; and letter of
recommendation from a physician (DO preferred)."

Hmmm, that shouldn't be it. I specifically applied to this school because I don't have two LORs from science professors. I'm a non-trad student also. I had a LOR from a cell phys teacher, a physician, and a boss.

*EDIT: OH @#$%, did I picked the wrong school and somehow got a II?

"
Two letters of recommendation are required: a pre-medical
advisor or committee (or letters from two science
professors who taught the required sciences) on
official letterhead with credentials; and letter of
recommendation from a physician (DO preferred)."
ACOM is Non Traditional Friendly.

ACOM is Non Traditional Friendly.

I meant I didn't do a good job at picking schools who allowed the substitution of science LORs for LORs from other places. I couldn't apply to many schools solely for this reason, but serendipity led me to ACOM. I would rather be in your state of Oklahoma if moving out of Texas.

when i interviewed on 9/9 i think they said they handed out 70+ acceptances alryd?
Does anyone know how many they will be accepting this cycle. Freaking out that by the time we interview in December/January, it'll be a WL situation D:

Does anyone know how many they will be accepting this cycle. Freaking out that by the time we interview in December/January, it'll be a WL situation D:
There are 10 dates between now and December 9th, each date with 24 interviews. So if they really accept 16/24 each date we're looking at another 160 accepted plus the 70 that already have been accepted for a total of 230 by the time we interview...... cutting it close I would imagine but it would be helpful to know how many they accept each year

There are 10 dates between now and December 9th, each date with 24 interviews. So if they really accept 16/24 each date we're looking at another 160 accepted plus the 70 that already have been accepted for a total of 230 by the time we interview...... cutting it close I would imagine but it would be helpful to know how many they accept each year
I think you are overthinking it. Don't worry so much. You have good stats and if your interview skills are decent, you should be just fine this cycle.

So they accept 16/24? How do you guys know all these precious informations by the way lol?

Last edited:
I got an email with a link to login and info to pay my deposit today. It was the first update since my call.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone have a # that I can use to call admissions? Thanks.

Just off of the thread, super credible I'm sure lol

Someone also said that the number they accept is variable from interview dates to interview dates. I can't see it being a number set in stone. What if an interview date has a group of horrible applicants? What if another has all rockstars?

Someone also said that the number they accept is variable from interview dates to interview dates. I can't see it being a number set in stone. What if an interview date has a group of horrible applicants? What if another has all rockstars?
This is indeed true. I think they only accepted about ~50-60 so far.

Just got an interview invite here and somehow landed a September 23rd spot....looking forward to seeing everyone there!

Reactions: 6 users
Just got an interview invite here and somehow landed a September 23rd spot....looking forward to seeing everyone there!
thats solid, where did you see that date? mine shows everything is booked until Jan 20th now, maybe someone gave theirs up just now.

Everyone is talking about hotels and acceptances (and interview scheduling into January!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)..... but I'm just wondering how long it takes to get the secondary after verification :arghh:

Might be a silly question, but did you guys write the secondary using single or double space? I know that it has to be 1 page in PDF format, but unsure of if I should do single, 1.5, or double?

Might be a silly question, but did you guys write the secondary using single or double space? I know that it has to be 1 page in PDF format, but unsure of if I should do single, 1.5, or double?
I did it 1.5 spaces. This question is not silly at all. I think in the instructions email they also put it there. You should re-check that email to make sure.

Someone from admissions recently gave a presentation at my University and briefly mentioned that Alabama residents are guaranteed an interview - anyone from Alabama know if this is correct?