AVC C/O 2018 Hopefuls!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The AVC waitlist for Internationals moves a lot. AVC is a back-up school for a lot of Americans; the price tag is higher than a lot (most/all?) of the other options but the fact that they only look at pre-reqs and not cumulative GPA favours some students. So I'd guess that most who apply to a cheaper school and get into AVC will probably go for the cheaper school. Just hold on until April 15! Once people start finalizing their decisions, you'll probably still have a shot at AVC.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Same here. Alternate list. Fingers are still crossed!

Eta: snail mail, 3/15

Wow I called last week and there was no answer and no response yet. I didn't get any e-mails or any mail today from the school, so maybe it will come in with the Monday mail if we don't get another snow storm...

Members don't see this ad :)
The AVC waitlist for Internationals moves a lot. AVC is a back-up school for a lot of Americans; the price tag is higher than a lot (most/all?) of the other options but the fact that they only look at pre-reqs and not cumulative GPA favours some students. So I'd guess that most who apply to a cheaper school and get into AVC will probably go for the cheaper school. Just hold on until April 15! Once people start finalizing their decisions, you'll probably still have a shot at AVC.

This. I think they went through most or all of the wait list last year. I'm still rooting for you guys!!!

Unfortunately, AVC is more expensive than all but UPenn I believe...but let's not talk about that :)

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately, AVC is more expensive than all but UPenn I believe...but let's not talk about that :)

Unless the US dollar bottoms out, there are a more than a few US schools that actually wind up being pretty equivalent to AVC for OOS students. My boss and her husband are very wealthy professionals and their advice to me was something like this, "You're gonna be in debt no matter what. Go for it."

Unless the US dollar bottoms out, there are a more than a few US schools that actually wind up being pretty equivalent to AVC for OOS students. My boss and her husband are very wealthy professionals and their advice to me was something like this, "You're gonna be in debt no matter what. Go for it."

I was referring to the cost of attendance, which if I remember correctly from last year, put AVC as the second or third most expensive school as OOS with Penn at the top. However, I just looked at the updated stats from the AAVMC and that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. I feel slightly better now :)

Reactions: 2 users
What school are you applying from? Best of luck!!!
I applied last year! I'm a first year at AVC atm. Went to the AC in Nova Scotia. About 1/5 of our class when through there at some point during their undergrad. I did my 2 years of pre-vet there and got in right away. I definitely recommend going there, if anyone is trying to decide where to go for the undergrad!! (For Atlantic applicants that is)

I came on here just to see if there was some activity (I stopped getting email updates somehow :yeahright:). My nerves have been calmed. I've been waiting anxiously for a letter regarding interviews (I'm a Nova Scotia applicant). If they haven't been sent out until this week, I probably won't get mine till April (mail is even slower in Cape Breton) haha.

I came on here just to see if there was some activity (I stopped getting email updates somehow :yeahright:). My nerves have been calmed. I've been waiting anxiously for a letter regarding interviews (I'm a Nova Scotia applicant). If they haven't been sent out until this week, I probably won't get mine till April (mail is even slower in Cape Breton) haha.
Best of luck! Keep us posted!

This is torture...Any Canadian applicants get a letter yet??

This is torture...Any Canadian applicants get a letter yet??

I just have been informed by the office that letters haven't gone out yet. Hopefully by the end of the week. Hold tight.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's probably a bit early for this but for the internationals who have decided on AVC, there is a book exchange group on FB that's helpful for buying books of course, but also furniture, some housing ads are posted, etc. I'm only putting it out there because I've seen a few posts with books for first year come up recently, but don't stress, theres PLENTY of time. :)

I was waitlisted, but just wrote to take my name off the list, I hope that pushes up a spot for anyone else here on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Trying to figure out loan stuffs right now... How much should I be taking out? Let's assume that my parents won't be helping me out. FAFSA gave me the max ($20,500), but should I be taking out $50,000 for the direct plus loans? This is all so confusing...

Also, I know it is kinda early, but any suggestions on where to live? I've been looking on Kijiji just to get an idea of the surrounding areas, but I don't plan on going to PEI until literally a week before school starts.

Can't help with the loan info but I did my apartment hunting online. I used Google maps to check out the area as well as the exterior of the house and my landlord was kind enough to send me the extra pics I wanted. I'm happy with my place so it worked out good for me.

Also, if I were you I'd hold off until at least June.

Congrats on your acceptance and welcome to AVC :)

Trying to figure out loan stuffs right now... How much should I be taking out? Let's assume that my parents won't be helping me out. FAFSA gave me the max ($20,500), but should I be taking out $50,000 for the direct plus loans? This is all so confusing...

Also, I know it is kinda early, but any suggestions on where to live? I've been looking on Kijiji just to get an idea of the surrounding areas, but I don't plan on going to PEI until literally a week before school starts.

How much you take out really depends on how much you need. Obviously you don't want to take more than you need because you'll have to pay it back with interest. So you'll need tuition money, but what about living expenses? Do you need to pay for everything, or do you have some money saved that you can live off of? Will you have roommates, or do you want to live alone? You'll need to consider those types of things before you can really figure out how much to take.

The AVC website has a page for incoming students here: http://avc.upei.ca/dvm/incoming-students The incoming student handbook is really helpful and gives a basic breakdown of what your expenses will be. There's also a link for the UPEI Student Union housing page that you might found helpful.

As for housing, I posted an ad on Kijiji stating exactly what I wanted and had a ton of emails from landlords. I generally don't recommend taking a place without seeing it first - I got screwed doing that last semester. I do know plenty of other people who found perfectly good places that way though. There are usually at least a few AVC students who stay on the island all summer, so you may be able to ask someone to go look at a few places for you just to make sure they're not crappy.

Last edited:

The max amount from FAFSA Direct Stafford Loans you can receive is $20,500. Obviously that's not enough to even cover tuition, so you'll need to get more from somewhere. Without significant financial help from family, you'll want to apply for a GradPLUS Loan for the remainder. I wouldn't recommend private loans - stick with the federal options. Also, I would spend some significant time on a budget for yourself. I definitely underestimated what my living expenses would be up here and didn't have enough money. There's a fine balance between wanting to have enough that you don't want to stress about money, but also not have a ton left over too. Speaking from experience, I would err on the generous side, at least for the first year. If you have a lot left over, great, you can use it to make a payment on your loans and you know you can ask for less next time around.

Like TooLove mentioned, things are a lot more expensive up here than many places back home. Gas is ~$5/gallon right now. Milk is ~$7/gallon.

You can look at Kijiji but you can also find information on the AVC Book Exchange facebook group. People post housing there frequently. I found my place through an SDN member and it's worked out really well.

I will have a room available in my house. 20 min walk to AVC, pet-friendly, parking spot available, and you get your own bathroom. PM for more details if anyone is interested :)

How much ye take out really depends on how much ye need. Obviously ye don't want to take more than ye need because ye'll have to pay it back wit interest. So ye'll need tuition money, but what about livin' expenses? Do ye need to pay for everythin', or do ye have some money saved that ye can live off of? Will ye have roommates, or do ye want to live alone? ye'll need to consider those types of things before ye can really figure out how much to take.

t' AVC website has a page for incomin' students here: http://avc.upei.ca/dvm/incomin'-students t' incomin' student handbook be really helpful and gives a basic breakdown of what yer expenses will be. thar's also a link for t' UPEI Student Union housin' page that ye might found helpful.

Yeah I was looking at the incoming student handbook, and the range was listed as $10,000 to $20,000, which is a pretty huge range o_O... which is why I'm pretty confused about how much I should actually take. I've been trying to get a feel for how much it would be to live by myself or with a roommate on Kijiji just so I can get a better idea of how much I would need for rent, but still I'm terrible at managing finances :confused:

Definitely worried about taking way too little like TooLove mentioned. Don't want to be finding ways to get money while I'm there.

ye can look at Kijiji but ye can also find information on t' AVC Book Exchange facebook group. People post housin' thar frequently. me found me place through an SDN member and it be worked out really well.
Will definitely check out this fb group!

Thank you everyone for trying to help me out when I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

...did everyone else see the pirate theme on here? looks like it was for April Fools :laugh:

Last edited:
Yeah I was looking at the incoming student handbook, and the range was listed as $10,000 to $20,000, which is a pretty huge range o_O... which is why I'm pretty confused about how much I should actually take. I've been trying to get a feel for how much it would be to live by myself or with a roommate on Kijiji just so I can get a better idea of how much I would need for rent, but still I'm terrible at managing finances :confused:

Definitely worried about taking way too little like TooLove mentioned. Don't want to be finding ways to get money while I'm there.

Will definitely check out this fb group!

Thank you everyone for trying to help me out when I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

...did everyone else see the pirate theme on here? looks like it was for April Fools :laugh:
I can PM you my expenses so you can get an idea if you'd like :)

Hi AVC! I know this thread is for the future c/o 2018 but I was hoping I could use this thread to ask for some advice as a future c/o 2015 intern. :) I matched to a small animal internship at AVC starting in June and was hoping for some advice on maybe areas to live (or avoid living in), and how the small animal clinic is in general and what it's like over there. Do you guys start fourth year clinical rotations in the summer, or in August like us? I am super looking forward to working with the 2015s next year!

Last edited:
That's so exciting Braki! :D Congrats on your match! We start rotations right off in May, so by the time you come in August, hopefully 2015 might know something and you won't think we're all idiots. I can't help a ton with clinic info, but I do know the faculty if you have any questions there. I may know more as the summer progresses though.

August/September are gorgeous in PEI and Charlottetown is pretty active at that point. Buskers is August 29-September 1 and it was pretty good last year. I'll be on Radiology in August, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask me! Regarding housing, I'll PM you, because I don't want to name and shame publically.

Oh dear, that makes me nervous, haha. Here, our fourth year doesn't start until late August, but the interns start late June, so they get a couple months to acclimate and figure out their crap before the fourth years come. Now I'm gonna have to start in June when you guys have already started in May and hope I don't come off like an idiot! Feel bad for the fourth years who get to experience the intern transition...

I hear there is lobster available daily in the summer. Is that true? Is it cheap? I love seafood and that just sounds amazing. What are the best restaurants over there?

Lobster is in season through the summer, and you can usually get it for about $5/lb from local fishermen, slightly higher in the grocery stores. There are several good restaurants, though they all tend to be the same sort of food (pub-style) though we do have a few international places. Brit's Fish and Chips (British pub food), Churchill Arms (British pub food, fantastic British style curries), Papa Joe's, Famous Peppers Pizza, Mr Sushi, Big Orange Lunchbox and Leo's Thai Kitchen are all good. Hunter's is a popular gathering spot on Mondays for half-price nachos. There is no Mexican food. We have a Korean place, Seoul Food, but I've never eaten there. We've also recently gotten a couple of frozen yogurt places.

Oh dear, that makes me nervous, haha. Here, our fourth year doesn't start until late August, but the interns start late June, so they get a couple months to acclimate and figure out their crap before the fourth years come. Now I'm gonna have to start in June when you guys have already started in May and hope I don't come off like an idiot! Feel bad for the fourth years who get to experience the intern transition...

I hear there is lobster available daily in the summer. Is that true? Is it cheap? I love seafood and that just sounds amazing. What are the best restaurants over there?

Congratulations on your match! :)

Yes, lobster has been plentiful but last year there was quite the to-do about pricing and the fishermen went on strike and prices climbed up. Usually it's relatively inexpensive, especially if you head down to the boats and buy it right there. I have a connection if you're interested in that option - she'll be a fourth year, actually.

The best restaurants depends on what you like. Unfortunately, like everything on the island, everything is heavily seasonal. So the summer into early fall will be great and then things will close up for the winter months. There is one stellar fish and chips (and other seafood) out by Brackley Beach that I love - you can also go deep sea fishing, hiking, beaching, etc out there. There are some good places in town, depending what you want to eat, but there isn't a whole lot of variety like you'd find elsewhere.

Coquette and I will be fourth years - I promise we won't be mean haha :)

I'll also add Bueno Mangia (fantastic Italian food, including handmade pasta), St. James Gate, and Casa Mia cafe (tasty soups and sandwiches, and a really good breakfast menu that I've never tried) to the list of restaurants to check out. Peake's Wharf is only open in the summer and just has typical pub food, but I really like eating outdoors on their deck overlooking the water. The Farmer's Market has a bunch of different food stands and it's a great place for lunch on Wednesdays and Fridays. Also don't miss COWS Creamery (best ice cream EVER) and The Gouda Cheese Lady (awesome homemade Gouda) while you're here.

For a nice (i.e. expensive) dinner, I had one of the top three meals of my life at Terre Rouge.

Came across a want ad on kijiji for a first year from NY looking for an apartment...which one of you SDNers is it? :shifty: :shifty:

Question about financial aid: Does AVC award any grants, or is it all loan-based aid? (I would be an international student, if that makes any difference).

Anyone know when interview offers will be sent to Canadian applicants? They're awfully late this year.

I know a few that applied and nothing yet. They are very late this year. Last year I got mine March 18 and the year before March 14.

I would guess that the record number of snow days this semester has put them behind a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
I would guess that the record number of snow days this semester has put them behind a bit.

and Jack has also apparently been on medical leave until recently, which may have something to do with the speed at the admin level.

Anyone know when interview offers will be sent to Canadian applicants? They're awfully late this year.
Word on the street is that interview letters were mailed out Friday. Should be here any day now. Best of luck!

I saw that some people got interview letters today!

Congrats Palomino and Mikee! I wish I was going to be around when you guys were there! Good luck to the both of you!

FYI to the accepted students: you can join the Facebook group for your class! Just search for Atlantic Veterinary College Class of 2018 :)