Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i have 3.00 gpa , 506 MCAT and am Canadian. Do you think its too late to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

i have 3.00 gpa , 506 MCAT and am Canadian. Do you think its too late to apply?

It's not too late to apply, however, I believe other members have been discussing BCOM's issue with obtaining the proper forms for international students. I would double check to make sure that your efforts are wasted due to bureaucracy of immigration.

Is anyone else able to give a definitive answer on international students, or know where to find that info?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I was extremely excited about my II here but at this point I know I wont be attending and I want to save my flight money. I will be cancelling my interview and hopefully this seat goes to one of you. Goodluck everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was extremely excited about my II here but at this point I know I wont be attending and I want to save my flight money. I will be cancelling my interview and hopefully this seat goes to one of you. Goodluck everyone.

What day was your interview? (PM me please).

formally declined my seat to BCOM today.
this was such a tough and emotional decision; I honestly never thought I'd be in this position and I'm so grateful for the support and confidence I've received. BCOM is an amazing program; the faculty and admissions team here are fantastic -- their generosity and kindness will definitely stay with me.

I hope my seat goes to one of you amazing applicants!
good luck and I hope to meet more of you on this journey. :hello:

Reactions: 6 users
Rejected post-secondary today. According to youtube analytics, they did not even view my video (which I put a lot of effort into). Makes me think they were just looking for a few extra bucks.

Rejected post-secondary today. According to youtube analytics, they did not even view my video (which I put a lot of effort into). Makes me think they were just looking for a few extra bucks.

Sorry to hear about getting rejected. When were you complete and would you mind sharing your stats? I submitted mine last week so anxiously waiting.

Interviewing here tomorrow. I can't tell if I'm more excited about the interview or about the ungodly amount of chiles rellenos I'm about to eat...

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to hear about getting rejected. When were you complete and would you mind sharing your stats? I submitted mine last week so anxiously waiting.

I submitted my secondary on the 19th of September and was told by an adcom I'll be up for committee review this Wednesday. I'm guessing this 3 week or so time frame is normal for this time in the cycle! Good luck to us both

I submitted my secondary on the 19th of September and was told by an adcom I'll be up for committee review this Wednesday. I'm guessing this 3 week or so time frame is normal for this time in the cycle! Good luck to us both

That's good to hear, I submitted on the 16th so hopefully we all hear back this week! Good luck to everyone!

I just sent an email yesterday to cancel my interview! Hope it goes to one of you fine lads and lasses.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Couldn't cancel my II due to no refund on my flight :( The choice came down to going to the interview or losing $200 bucks so I will be attending.

Dang, when I interviewed last year they accepted me before I boarded my flight home! I know, I know, they are busier with their first year and don't have that luxury this year, but wait times are terrible. I hope you all get in and wish you all the best!

They said that the reason why they're doing this Wednesday thing is that when they looked at applicants the day of, they would accept people but then the next interview there might be some people who were even better but because of the limited number of seats, they couldn't accept all the other people. So they've decided to accept on Wednesdays so that they can look at a larger pool of applicants and pick the ones who are truly amazing.

I withdrew my seat from this school today (post deposit, no less). I was accepted to OU-HCOM and for me it's the better choice. I wish everyone luck and I hope one of you take my seat. I have no doubt this will be a good school!

They said that the reason why they're doing this Wednesday thing is that when they looked at applicants the day of, they would accept people but then the next interview there might be some people who were even better but because of the limited number of seats, they couldn't accept all the other people. So they've decided to accept on Wednesdays so that they can look at a larger pool of applicants and pick the ones who are truly amazing.

This definitely makes sense as there are more qualified applicants each coming year. Didn't they pretty much fill the class by November last year?

One of the kinks a new school has to work out too is II/acceptance/matric percentages. Seems like they're being a little more cautious this year.

I withdrew my seat from this school today (post deposit, no less). I was accepted to OU-HCOM and for me it's the better choice. I wish everyone luck and I hope one of you take my seat. I have no doubt this will be a good school!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Don't feel bad about withdrawing your seat post deposit. Better to be safe than sorry for sure!

Just got a call from BCOM telling me that a new interview spot opened up today for next Monday (10/17/16)! Anyone else interviewing that day wanna meet up? I think it's probably smartest to reach there two days before so that I'm not pressed on time. SO EXCITED! :soexcited:

If anyone who's interviewed here is willing to offer advice, I'd appreciate it! (you can reply here or PM me, either way is fine).

This definitely makes sense as there are more qualified applicants each coming year. Didn't they pretty much fill the class by November last year?

One of the kinks a new school has to work out too is II/acceptance/matric percentages. Seems like they're being a little more cautious this year.

I think so. They filled the class really fast last year and then had to have people on deferred acceptance but I think they regretted accepting so fast. However, a few days is still incredibly fast.

Just got a call from BCOM telling me that a new interview spot opened up today for next Monday (10/17/16)! Anyone else interviewing that day wanna meet up? I think it's probably smartest to reach there two days before so that I'm not pressed on time. SO EXCITED! :soexcited:

If anyone who's interviewed here is willing to offer advice, I'd appreciate it! (you can reply here or PM me, either way is fine).

I think it's really important to know your application. However, the interview is so incredibly friendly and they're not trying to trick you with their questions. They genuinely want to know who you are and what makes you tick.

Last edited:

Good luck! I had a dream this morning that I got accepted then I woke up and realized that they haven't even reviewed my app yet haha

Preparing my car for the 9 hour drive up to the interview... hope it makes it! If anybody wants to carpool next week from Texas I wouldn't mind some company lol

Preparing my car for the 9 hour drive up to the interview... hope it makes it! If anybody wants to carpool next week from Texas I wouldn't mind some company lol

When's your interview and where in Texas?

It's on the 19th. Heading up a day before and back a day after.

Mine is this Friday. Would have been nice to meet a fellow interviewee prior to interview day!

Mine is this Friday. Would have been nice to meet a fellow interviewee prior to interview day!
Ahh yeah just a bit before mine. Good luck and hope it goes well for you! Throw in a good word for me ;) haha

Reactions: 2 users
I really appreciate the mission of this school and the area seems beautiful. I have an upcoming interview and I am wondering how/if I can relate if I have not been familiar with the Southwest area and have not worked with Hispanics or Native Americans specifically. I have worked with in underserved areas (mostly overseas) but that definitely reinforces this desire to help this community. Is that sufficient? Or do I just not have enough personal connections?

Big day is tomorrow for me as I was told I'll be up for committee review

Good luck my friend! Best thing I can tell you is try not to over stress about it. :cool:
Carry on your day and don't obsess over it. I thought I was up for review 2 Wednesdays ago and drove myself literally nauseous spamming gmail when next week, I got the II.

I really appreciate the mission of this school and the area seems beautiful. I have an upcoming interview and I am wondering how/if I can relate if I have not been familiar with the Southwest area and have not worked with Hispanics or Native Americans specifically. I have worked with in underserved areas (mostly overseas) but that definitely reinforces this desire to help this community. Is that sufficient? Or do I just not have enough personal connections?

I think it's important to just show case that you have a desire to work with the underprivileged more than where you helped them. You shouldn't be penalized for finding interest in some programs overseas.

Am I allowed to call and ask where I am on the waitlist?

What are you guys opinion on this new school? Isnt a new school always difficult to gauge where they are/ projected to where they will go because they are still working on rotations/residency/clinicals etc... I don't mean to put anyone down who got accepted here, I just thought I would ask you opinions to see what you guys think since this is a new school and obviously there will be concerns unlike other established programs. Thoughts? thanks!

Am I allowed to call and ask where I am on the waitlist?

You are not allowed to ask. The admissions specifically told everyone not to ask because it's always changing and you could be #3 one day and #7 the next.

You are not allowed to ask. The admissions specifically told everyone not to ask because it's always changing and you could be #3 one day and #7 the next.

That is what I thought. I just wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Is there any meet and greet for interviewees and BCOM OMS1/faculty the day before interviews? I know a lot of schools do, but not sure about BCOM.

Sitting here waiting for 5 central time to roll around. Not neurotic at all today

Is that the time they're supposed to be sending out their decisions they made today?? I've been trying to figure it out haha

Accepted via email seconds ago! Interviewed 10/7. Yayyy! :clap: I really enjoyed the interview and the area. Good luck you guys!

Reactions: 4 users
II!! There are spots opened up for this Friday! Do you guys think that is to soon?