Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is purely conjecture

but a lot of students who were taken off the wait list last year said that they got an acceptance in june. my guess would be they're just going to send a bunch of acceptances out around then depending on how many people decline acceptances. so, looks like 2 more months of limbo for me

What's the date your letter was postmarked? I'm from Missouri, so I'm wondering if it took longer to get here depending on where you're from. (Long-time lurker, interviewed 3/29, deadline given to me was today)

Members don't see this ad.

What's the date your letter was postmarked? I'm from Missouri, so I'm wondering if it took longer to get here depending on where you're from. (Long-time lurker, interviewed 3/29, deadline given to me was today)

They both got an email informing them.

Edit - never mind. I misread.

Lol anddd the mail lady dropped off my letter literally a minute after I posted that. Got wait-listed as well. More anxious waiting, my favorite!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
no we didn't, they both came in by mail. my was sent out on the 13th so it's possible it hasn't gotten to you yet.

Does anyone on here know the realistic odds of getting accepted after being placed on the "alternate" list? Would love some input. Otherwise, it's another cycle for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone on here know the realistic odds of getting accepted after being placed on the "alternate" list? Would love some input. Otherwise, it's another cycle for me.
i second this^

i have yet to hear any info on how the wait list works so far

i second this^

i have yet to hear any info on how the wait list works so far

Maricela said that they only waitlist about 50-60 people, but I don't know how accurate that is. She also mentioned that the dean may want to rank those who are wait listed, but the letter I received said I'm unranked.

I find not ranking to be ridiculous tbh; who do they decide gets the next open spot? A lotto system? Cause that doesn't seem fair lol.

Don't pick Touro over this excellent school...Touro just raised their tuition from just north of 49k to 51450 and I don't reckon any major changes on campus were made ...

I was accepted to both and Western Pomona. Will be going with NOVA. It's nice knowing I won't have to drive 45 minutes to another city or cold call for research ops.

Did a bunch of investigating into all 3 and NOVA is king. If you need reasons to go with this school PM me.
Research opportunities are not very abundant at Nova. Maybe 20-30% of the my class at the most is involved with any. I interviewed at all 3 (way back in the prehistoric days of 2013), and I don't think NSU is so much better than either Touro or Western that it should still be chosen even if it's not the best fit. Personal fit is key. Also, I pay 52k right now for OOS tuition and if I recall correctly, Florida residents still pay like 49k. The school recently lost a tuition subsidy from the state that tacked on about 2k per year for everyone. I think they got it back, but it remains to be seen if they actually cut our tuition for next year.

I was initially wait listed and ended up getting into Nova mid June. People will definitely drop. Two or three people dropped a week or two after school started. Good luck everyone. It's not over yet!

I was initially wait listed and ended up getting into Nova mid June. People will definitely drop. Two or three people dropped a week or two after school started. Good luck everyone. It's not over yet!
thanks for the encouragement:) what did you do while waiting? did you send any LOI/LOR's?

Research opportunities are not very abundant at Nova. Maybe 20-30% of the my class at the most is involved with any. I interviewed at all 3 (way back in the prehistoric days of 2013), and I don't think NSU is so much better than either Touro or Western that it should still be chosen even if it's not the best fit. Personal fit is key. Also, I pay 52k right now for OOS tuition and if I recall correctly, Florida residents still pay like 49k. The school recently lost a tuition subsidy from the state that tacked on about 2k per year for everyone. I think they got it back, but it remains to be seen if they actually cut our tuition for next year.
I agree with everything you said, but at least there are opportunities and it sounds like the 20-30% might be due in part to some self-selection? Touro has NO basic science research whatsoever. Students have to brave traffic to Berkeley or SF to find any and even if they do, they're competing with UC Berkeley, UCSF, and Stanford students. Western has some, but it appears that their prized publications are all done by the pharm students which is disappointing. NOVA has much better board scores and a COMLEX first time pass rate than the other two. I get that it's on the students, but to have MCAT averages of 31 and 29/avg gpa of 3.6 with a weak showing on the boards is pretty telling of the time suck/flawed curriculum of the two Cali schools.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to the research, I have multiple publications coming out of Nova. Honestly, though it had nothing to do with them at all. I took entirely my own initiative to get it done and crush it. Also in regards to MCAT correlation and boards BS all that jazz. It doesn't matter. I scored pretty crappy on my MCAT and crushed Comlex and USMLE. So there's that.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know what type of students Nova is interested in based on interview experiences? or what makes them a "perfect fit".

Hello Everyone! Keep your hopes up, especially those waitlisted because I am giving up my spot today. I hope it goes to one of you guys for sure! Will still be goin to medschool in south Florida, hopefully we will work together one day.

thanks for the encouragement:) what did you do while waiting? did you send any LOI/LOR's?

I sent them updates every two weeks of things I was doing such a volunteer opportunities and what not and just reaffirming that they were my top choice. I figured it couldn't hurt and it all worked out in the end.

Virtually everyone in the Class of 2019 has healthcare experience. Scribes, nurses, clinical research, EMTs... something to show you are really, really interested in health care.

Does anyone know what type of students Nova is interested in based on interview experiences? or what makes them a "perfect fit".

I wouldn't go solely on Facebook to rely on numbers ... I have been accepted since February and I haven't added the Facebook page ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
So, I just found the facebook group. Out of the 258 members, they added 40 in the last 3 weeks... Soooo the class if full now?[/QUOTE

Has anyone else had issues getting in contact with admissions? Today I called literally every 30 minutes and my phone call would never be picked up and then their voicemail would be full too....Kind of have a lot on hold based on this decision so its very frustrating : (

Just for my own curiosity, were you a Florida resident? If so, how close were you to school?

Edit: Also, Still society ftw.

Just for my own curiosity, were you a Florida resident? If so, how close were you to school?

Edit: Also, Still society ftw.

Yes I was a Florida resident, about 3.5 - 4 hrs from ft lauderdale. I think you are going to make a fantastic doctor because you tell hilarious jokes. "Still for the win"....classic. Everyone knows Zafonte is the best! Good luck in school! It goes by quickly.

that would be amazing if they did... i was kind of peeved that tuition was raised at the very last minute because of that. there needs to be a "d.o day on the hill" thing for the med school where we discuss tuition, need for more scholarships etc

Wait listed.. but no surprise there, seeing as everyone who found out yesterday got the same letter.. Interviewed March 10th.
Wohoo looks like another cycle for me!

Wait listed.. but no surprise there, seeing as everyone who found out yesterday got the same letter.. Interviewed March 10th.
Wohoo looks like another cycle for me!
feel you girl, haha

I'm really curious to know how people get pulled off the waitlist. No way is it random.

I'm really curious to know how people get pulled off the waitlist. No way is it random.
there's no way to predict. it depends on how many people drop acceptances, how many total they put on the waitlist. the school probably couldn't even tell you at this point.

Usually takes them a long time to reply
That's why I always send a LOI before interview that way the committee gets to see it and it's added to the file on time.
If you add it afterwards only the secretary gets to see it unfortunately :(

Any movement on the waitlist today? yesterday was a payment deadline.

Has anyone spoken to admissions regarding the waitlist recently?
Also, does anyone know if they reject people after interviews or only waitlist them?
Thanks!

August 1st is first day of orientation. August 7th is the white coat ceremony.

Does anyone know when the first day of class is? I could not find an academic calendar anywhere?

They don't reject people after interviews only waitlist.

People are only rejected before interviews at nova.

They don't reject people after interviews only waitlist.

People are only rejected before interviews at nova.
i dont think that's true.. they very clearly stated to us at the interview that you could be rejected post interview.

No movement on the waitlist. We should hear something by June if there is going to be waitlist movement.

i dont think that's true.. they very clearly stated to us at the interview that you could be rejected post interview.
I'm going to second this as I know of a person who was rejected after they interviewed.

Trust me they don't send direct rejections post interviews.

If your good enough to get an interview then you're good enough to get wait listed at the least lol

It may not be very common but this person did get a rejection letter in the mail and is in the process of applying to the masters program. I don't know what happened during the interview but the option for them to reject still stands.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 3 users
They definitely send direct rejections. I have friends that have rejection letters from Nova post-interview. Granted, some people get recommended to MBS.

Trust me they don't send direct rejections post interviews.

If your good enough to get an interview then you're good enough to get wait listed at the least lol

During my interview I got recommended for mbs.

But I got accepted a few weeks later.
They just like to push the mbs on people.