Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sooo the portal says I'm complete and have been for about a month but I never received a complete call. Are they just calling some people and leaving the rest to question their existence or what...

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile
I never got a call, but did get an email, and saw complete in the portal. I still got an interview invite, so I think they quit calling people to say you were complete.

Members don't see this ad.

I never got a call, but did get an email, and saw complete in the portal. I still got an interview invite, so I think they quit calling people to say you were complete.
I haven't gotten an email either though.. Maybe I'll call tomorrow

I haven't gotten an email either though.. Maybe I'll call tomorrow

Maybe it's in your spam folder? I got my secondary complete email today after submitting it yesterday. If it's not there, then calling isn't the worst idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooo the portal says I'm complete and have been for about a month but I never received a complete call. Are they just calling some people and leaving the rest to question their existence or what...

Never got a complete call/email either and it's been over a month. I've called the office twice now to confirm that I'm complete and they've said that I am.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Extremely. Even if you could get a BS LOR from your PCP or something, that would be better than none. Have you not shadowed or had any clinical exposure?

I was a medical scribe for 6 months; worked in a large, high-volume ER, but rarely ever got to work with the same docs (large ER team at multiple sites) so I never felt comfortable asking for a rec letter. I work at a medical school, but not directly with docs. Maybe I can get someone that knows the work I do to write a very basic LOR.

Thanks for the feedback Flash. I'll see what I can do.

I have called many times trying to get my application complete! They are extremely helpful and very nice so if you have a question, contact them! Last app cycle my app looked complete on the portal but in reality it was not updated and official scores were not received..and my app was never seen by admissions. This year after contacting them a few times and figuring it out, they called me yesterday indicating that I was complete and being reviewed.

Reactions: 1 users

The portal literally says "complete" somewhere? I've had to call Nova a number of times for e-mails saying my app isn't complete and the last time they said I was under review... but I don't see "complete" anywhere.

The portal literally says "complete" somewhere? I've had to call Nova a number of times for e-mails saying my app isn't complete and the last time they said I was under review... but I don't see "complete" anywhere.

+1. They told me I was under review last time I called, but it still makes me nervous that I haven't received a complete email/phone call.

It doesn't necessarily say "complete" but all of my letters are uploaded and it doesn't seem that I'm missing anything so I'm assuming I am. I called once before and they said I'm good but who knows

II yesterday as well!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how to activate our Nova email address? On the interview day they said they would use our nova email address to communicate with us!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to activate our Nova email address? On the interview day they said they would use our nova email address to communicate with us!

I was under the impression that was for after you get accepted. They wanted you to activate your email asap for further correspondence (getting immunizations, matriculation paper work, etc).

Also if NOVA could just send out acceptances so I can stop stressing that would be great :whistle:

I was under the impression that was for after you get accepted. They wanted you to activate your email asap for further correspondence (getting immunizations, matriculation paper work, etc).
I think you are right. Thanks :)

After a lot of deliberating I have decided to decline my interview here for financial reasons. It is a fantastic school and I hope the interview spot goes to one of you!!!

Also considering declining my II.

Man a lot of people declining IIs here :laugh:. Congrats to @hammy2016 and @MedArtist on your early success this application cycle.

I loved this school for anyone lurking the threads. A lot of great opportunity including research which is a rarity among DO schools.

Reactions: 3 users
People who have interviewed already:

Is there a location where we can leave our luggage for the day?

People who have interviewed already:

Is there a location where we can leave our luggage for the day?

You can put your luggage behind a counter where someone is already chilling there working. I left my purse there and felt fine. A lot of us left our bags there because it's very hot to be lugging things around.

You can put your luggage behind a counter where someone is already chilling there working. I left my purse there and felt fine. A lot of us left our bags there because it's very hot to be lugging things around.

Fantastic. Thanks!

Just got an email from them saying my application is missing something. Turns out its the signature page you have to print out and fax in? But the link is broken!!! Can anyone tell me what they did about this or send me a copy of the signature page?! Please and thank you I haven't been able to get them on the phone

Just got an email from them saying my application is missing something. Turns out its the signature page you have to print out and fax in? But the link is Rebroken!!! Can anyone tell me what they did about this or send me a copy of the signature page?! Please and thank you I haven't been able to get them on the phone

Mine says that they received it...but I never sent it in nor have I ever heard about a signature page!

Just got an email from them saying my application is missing something. Turns out its the signature page you have to print out and fax in? But the link is broken!!! Can anyone tell me what they did about this or send me a copy of the signature page?! Please and thank you I haven't been able to get them on the phone

I got this too. Apparently I forgot to put the date on the signature page :yawn:.. They called me and then emailed me the file afterwards; I just sent the form in the mail this morning =]

I got this too. Apparently I forgot to put the date on the signature page :yawn:.. They called me and then emailed me the file afterwards; I just sent the form in the mail this morning =]
Is there any way you could upload the file to here or email it? that would be a life saver

Is there any way you could upload the file to here or email it? that would be a life saver
I'd give them a call but i think you can scan and email. You can for sure fax it to expedite it

I never received complete email or call from NOVA although it has been a while since I submitted everything. The last email I received was that my application materials have been downloaded from AACOMAS. What should I do?

I never received complete email or call from NOVA although it has been a while since I submitted everything. The last email I received was that my application materials have been downloaded from AACOMAS. What should I do?
I would call. Last year when I applied I had issues with my application and I wasn't aware of it. It wasn't until I called and they settled everything pretty quickly

I would call. Last year when I applied I had issues with my application and I wasn't aware of it. It wasn't until I called and they settled everything pretty quickly
Thank you. I emailed them yesterday, if I do not hear anything soon I will call them.

Meant to post this a while ago, but here's my reflections about the whole interview day:
  • Loved the family feel. Everyone on campus was so friendly! Of course we stick out like a big thumb, but I loved everyone saying hi and telling us good luck.
  • Goes without saying the campus is absolutely beautiful.
  • Very humid. Veryyyyy humid.
  • I love that the campus is so huge and has many other schools on it. I love that NSU will always have something to do on campus.
  • I'm in LOVE with their gym. Hooooly crap. I would love to just go there everyday.
  • We were shown some dorms on out interview; I thought they were pretty average, but some in my group were really impressed! We have similar dorms in my UG, so that is why I wasn't super excited about them.

+1 to the family feel @oogieboogie123r mentioned. Loved everything about the environment. During the interview, it becomes apparent they want team players in their upcoming class.

There is a little deceptive aspect regarding the gym tho. It is big but that is catered to the student body. NSU has a huge undergraduate, graduate student body. When I stopped by there around 2PM, it was slammed. There was no open benches, few free weights. The only thing available was treadmills on the cardio loft.

+1 to the family feel @oogieboogie123r mentioned. Loved everything about the environment. During the interview, it becomes apparent they want team players in their upcoming class.

There is a little deceptive aspect regarding the gym tho. It is big but that is catered to the student body. NSU has a huge undergraduate, graduate student body. When I stopped by there around 2PM, it was slammed. There was no open benches, few free weights. The only thing available was treadmills on the cardio loft.
This. I counted one squat rack. It's a big flashy joke of a gym.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

That's true - I never thought of that. I'm not big on weights so much as I am on cardio like rowing. I assumed they had an erg there but I didn't check.

Hopefully there are good gyms nearby then that are not affiliated with the school

How are you guys checking your application status? I just received a copy of my application when I was complete, but I don't remember being sent anything on how to check the status?

I'm not going to base my decision on the gym quality, but who designs these things? It's a travesty.

Sent from my SM-N910P using SDN mobile

@poloboy : hello gentlemen. I wanted to reach out and give you a little information about NSU (not necessarily the DO program but the grounds). NSU is my alma mater for both undergraduate and graduate. The University Center (The UC), the building where the gym, food court, bar, auditorium(s) are located) is a beautiful center with tons of things to do. An a gym rat myself, I will address the gym topics that have been brought up. The gym actually has 6 squat racks (3 on the left side and 3 on the right side of the center wall), it has two complete sections of free weights. Upstairs there are over 20 professional rowing machines as our rowing team can be seen practicing there AND 4 regular rowing machines. There are dozens of treadmills, bikes, mats of stretching and 1 boxing bag on the upper level near the elevators. The UC also houses a bar where you can grab a beer anytime (employees are only served alcohol after 1700, and more recently they have started serving food. There is also a mini convenience store, full food court with 24hr Starbucks , a souvenir store and two auditoriums. There is just an infinite amount of things that you can do and participate in. If you're still not satisfied with the facility there is a gym down on University and Stirling by the Target. We also have the Dolphins training camp right behind HPD which sometimes y can see the players practicing and for sure will hear the crowds.

If there's anything that you want to know, let me know. I'm applying next cycle so I hope to see some of you there during your M2.

@poloboy : hello gentlemen. I wanted to reach out and give you a little information about NSU (not necessarily the DO program but the grounds). NSU is my alma mater for both undergraduate and graduate. The University Center (The UC), the building where the gym, food court, bar, auditorium(s) are located) is a beautiful center with tons of things to do. An a gym rat myself, I will address the gym topics that have been brought up. The gym actually has 6 squat racks (3 on the left side and 3 on the right side of the center wall), it has two complete sections of free weights. Upstairs there are over 20 professional rowing machines as our rowing team can be seen practicing there AND 4 regular rowing machines. There are dozens of treadmills, bikes, mats of stretching and 1 boxing bag on the upper level near the elevators. The UC also houses a bar where you can grab a beer anytime (employees are only served alcohol after 1700, and more recently they have started serving food. There is also a mini convenience store, full food court with 24hr Starbucks , a souvenir store and two auditoriums. There is just an infinite amount of things that you can do and participate in. If you're still not satisfied with the facility there is a gym down on University and Stirling by the Target. We also have the Dolphins training camp right behind HPD which sometimes y can see the players practicing and for sure will hear the crowds.

If there's anything that you want to know, let me know. I'm applying next cycle so I hope to see some of you there during your M2.

Thanks for the information. Extremely helpful!

I forgot to sign my signature page (I'm pretty sure I went into robot mode and signed with my birthdate :)) and had to send a paper copy in the mail a week and a half ago. My application status still hasn't updated -- has anyone else encountered this/know how long it may take to update my status? I'm a bit paranoid, living in Ohio, that my envelope may have gotten lost en route to Florida. I'm a neurotic mess.

I forgot to sign my signature page (I'm pretty sure I went into robot mode and signed with my birthdate :)) and had to send a paper copy in the mail a week and a half ago. My application status still hasn't updated -- has anyone else encountered this/know how long it may take to update my status? I'm a bit paranoid, living in Ohio, that my envelope may have gotten lost en route to Florida. I'm a neurotic mess.

How did you know you forgot to sign your signature page? Was there no date in the "received" column on your portal?

Getting antsy to hear from them on their post-interview decisions! They said latest the 19th so hopefully soon

Haha yeah it says "missing date". I've delayed my own application! :smack:

Gahhh I had called to try and explain that mine said this two weeks ago and I was told not to worry that my app was ready for review and just awaiting a decision. Now I am promptly calling back to find out where I get the paper copy to send in .

Thank god I checked this thread.

I have a feeling this is the week where they get together and review the interviewed apps .

I have one of those gut feelings we won't hear until next Monday

Gahhh I had called to try and explain that mine said this two weeks ago and I was told not to worry that my app was ready for review and just awaiting a decision. Now I am promptly calling back to find out where I get the paper copy to send in .

Thank god I checked this thread.

I was actually on vacation when a lady from NSU called me. At first I saw Ft. Lauderdale and was like, "awww yeahhh!". I lost signal in the middle of the phone call but it was basically just for completing my app. I received an email like five minutes later with an attachment for the signature page if that helps!

I was actually on vacation when a lady from NSU called me. At first I saw Ft. Lauderdale and was like, "awww yeahhh!". I lost signal in the middle of the phone call but it was basically just for completing my app. I received an email like five minutes later with an attachment for the signature page if that helps!

You lucked out! I've had no contact since my complete call, but after a lengthy call today (~ 18 minutes) they emailed me the form! It asks for my web ID? Did you use your login ID for their website?

So I've procrastinated for too long in posting because I was trying to avoid SDN, but last week I started getting antsy since I hadn't heard anything.

I was in the group that interviewed on 8/25 that was told we should hear something by 9/19. I was sort of freaking out because I wasn't sure if they meant they'd come to a decision one way or another by that date or if we should hear something definite. Reason being that they said acceptances were sent out by email but waitlist and rejections were sent by post. Naturally, I started worrying and trying to figure out minimum postal times to find the latest date they would email me or send a "bad" letter by post so it would get to me by the 19th (it didn't help that they told us a story about a student who got an acceptance notification as soon as 3 days after the interview). I was greatly relieved (and not) to see everyone else was in the same purgatory lol. Though as someone else pointed out- they said "should", meaning it's possible they may not make that soft deadline T-T.

Some post-interview thoughts:
1.) A good portion of my group were Floridians (though I remember they were mostly from the northern parts). But we had a good mix of people from other states from all over with diverse backgrounds and interesting hobbies/lives.
2.) Everyone was really nice and while they were professional I didn't get the feeling they were stuck up or too rigid. I definitely got the feeling like I was trying to be sold on their school toward the end (which was completely unnecessary as many/most of us were already sold on going there- but still made for a fun experience).
3.) The environment sent a clear message (from students, professors, staff, etc)- camaraderie and a collectivistic desire for all to succeed.
4.) The facilities were beautiful and the resources they have to aid students were pretty sweet too.
5.) As a previous poster mentioned, I definitely felt the "good cop/ bad cop" vibe from the interviewers.
6.) I felt like they should have given us the sim lab tour first, that would have been awesome for talking points.
7.) As far as our chances, from my conversations with other current healthcare students (both non-DOs and DOs) from NSU they all pretty much echoed the same as another poster- we were interviewed so early that they definitely liked what they saw on paper about us (we were only the second interview group for the cycle). Sending some good juju out to everyone and hoping for the best! I hope we get to have a reunion ^_^.

Some thoughts for those of you with upcoming interview dates (most of this you probably already know but just in case):
1.) Know why you want to be a DO over an MD.
2.) Know why NSU over other "more established" schools. Don't go overboard- you won't be expected to write a dissertation, but definitely know something about the school and be ready to discuss what makes it stick out in your mind over others.
3.) Dress with the idea that you will be dying from the heat and humidity lol.
4.) Get to know the people who are with you interviewing.
5.) Know your application.
6.) Be confident in yourself and your traits, they liked you enough to contact you for an interview- just go with it.

Reactions: 3 users