2008-2009 University of Toledo Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funkydrmonkey

They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. In addition to the M.D. degree program for which you are applying by completing this secondary application, UT also
offers dual degree programs in biomedical research (MD/PhD and MD/Master of Science in Biomedical Science) and public health
(MD/Master of Public Health). If you are interested in these programs, please review them at the web addresses below. If you have
any questions, please contact the Graduate School office ([email protected] - 419 383-4112).

MD/PhD-Doctor of Medicine and Doctor of Philosophy in Medical Sciences (www.hsc.utoledo.edu/grad/mdphd/index.html)
MD/MSBS-Doctor of Medicine and Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (www.hsc.utoledo.edu/grad/pdf/mdms1.pdf)
MD/MPH-Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health (www.hsc.utoledo.edu/med/pubhealth/index.html)
MD/MBA-Doctor of Medicine and Master of Business Administration (www.utoledo.edu/business/)

If you wish to apply to a dual degree program, please check the appropriate box and complete the online graduate school
application that is available at the following web address: www.hsc.utoledo.edu/grad/application.html. Please note that you do not
need to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) to apply; your MCAT test scores will substitute for the GRE. In addition,
please write a one-page description of your background and interest in the dual degree program and enclose it with this secondary
application. Kindly complete the remainder of this application form as well. Please note that applying to any dual degree program
will not alter the manner in which your application to the M.D. program is handled. You will be considered for the dual degree
program only after you have been admitted to the M.D. program.

2. Using the back of this page or a separate sheet of paper, briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are
pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

3. The University of Toledo College of Medicine is committed to excellence in education which prepares graduates to deliver
quality health care. Developing cultural competence is an important goal in our curriculum. Cultural competence is defined as an
awareness, understanding and ability to use specific methods to deal effectively with cultural issues and its role in health and health
care. Please discuss a life experience in which you feel you demonstrated cultural competence. You may use the back of this page
or attach an additional sheet of paper.

Members don't see this ad.

Website: http://hsc.utoledo.edu/med/admissions/secondary.html
LORs
Letters of recommendation must be on official university or college letterhead and from a Premedical Advisory Committee at the college or university from which you will graduate or have recently graduated. If no such committee exists, letters from three (3) faculty members with whom you have studied - at least two (2) in a science department is strongly recommended.

If you are not a recent college graduate, we will need in addition to the above, a letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your most recent activities since you left college. Additional letters of recommendation are accepted.

All secondary application material (including essays), prerequisite completion sheet and letters of recommendation should be sent to:

University of Toledo College of Medicine
Admissions Office
3045 Arlington Avenue, Mail Stop 1043
Toledo, OH 43614

Does Toledo have a tough screen?

Members don't see this ad :)

They screen? Oh... I am not sure... I just like the state of Ohio for some reason, so I wanted to apply here...

They screen? Oh... I am not sure... I just like the state of Ohio for some reason, so I wanted to apply here...

"Once the AMCAS application is complete, preliminary screening means the applicant will need a competitive academic record in order to receive a secondary application from UT. "

http://hsc.utoledo.edu/med/admissions/application.html

I don't know what the standard for a secondary is though.

Thanks for starting this thread... my email from them was in my spam folder and I might have missed it.

Hey....when it asks about extenuating circumstances (Fs, Withdrawals)

Do you think I should explain the one withdrawal I have, the rest of my grades are pretty good As with a couple Bs

Or should I just leave it blank?

Hi guys,

On the application, it asks "are you claiming Ohio Residency status?" Yes or No.

It's ok if I choose NO right?

What's the consensus for what type of grades need explaining? I have a few C/C+'s that mar my transcript, but never in the same semester and nothing lower than that.

I did have a rough freshman year, thinking I was still in high school and got about a 3.4. My remaining years I always had at least a 3.6 and at times a 3.9.

I don't feel particularly insecure about the grades, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity to explain if it's in my best interest to do so.

I think there's a pre-secondary screen for OOS residents. Not sure. I don't think it's anything too crazy...

What's the consensus for what type of grades need explaining? I have a few C/C+'s that mar my transcript, but never in the same semester and nothing lower than that.

I did have a rough freshman year, thinking I was still in high school and got about a 3.4. My remaining years I always had at least a 3.6 and at times a 3.9.

I don't feel particularly insecure about the grades, but I don't want to pass up an opportunity to explain if it's in my best interest to do so.

I'd go ahead and mention the C's... that 3.4 isn't really that bad, but if your grades significantly shot up after that and you can demonstrate that it was an outlier semester/year then go ahead. But it wouldn't be a good idea if you got any C's after that...

Am I the only one who is confused for what they are asking for, for #3?

ummm i'm totally confused about it too!.. i was wondering if this is cultural competence... i work as an emt and sometimes i get spanish speaking only patients..unfortunately i don't speak spanish, so i get my spanish speaking partner to communicate with them, but i'd still try my best to communicate, using sign languages etc and still try to treat my patient, and understand what's bothering him? i feel that that's a pretty weak essay though = (

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey....when it asks about extenuating circumstances (Fs, Withdrawals)

Do you think I should explain the one withdrawal I have, the rest of my grades are pretty good As with a couple Bs

Or should I just leave it blank?
Any thoughts on this?

Any thoughts on this?

I wouldn't say anything about it unless you really want to or you have a reason that helps your application in some way. One W isn't a red flag and they might not even notice it at all if you don't call attention to it.

But I don't think it will matter much either way so you should just do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable. If you are going to be worried about leaving it blank then write something.

But I'm no expert. :)

whats the word count?

ummm i'm totally confused about it too!.. i was wondering if this is cultural competence... i work as an emt and sometimes i get spanish speaking only patients..unfortunately i don't speak spanish, so i get my spanish speaking partner to communicate with them, but i'd still try my best to communicate, using sign languages etc and still try to treat my patient, and understand what's bothering him? i feel that that's a pretty weak essay though = (

I think everyone's essay on that is weak. :laugh: Yours is actually more concrete than some I've seen.

I think everyone's essay on that is weak. :laugh: Yours is actually more concrete than some I've seen.

Agreed.
When I look back at mine, I'm a little surprised I got in... :oops:

Seriously though, just talk about a time you were out of your comfort zone dealing with patients who live completely different lives than you do and how you handled it.

The issue is that while you might do a great job identifying with patients that are just like you, you're going to encounter patients from all walks of life and patients that don't speak English as a first language (or at all). They want to see how well you can handle these situations.

anybody know if you can use AP credits for prereqs? can't seem to find the answer on the website.

just looking for the english stuff.....

My essay for #3 was terrible. I've only had one experience that remotely comes close to qualifying and it's not very interesting or compelling in any way. Oh well.

quick question, we have to fill out most of the secondary form by hand right?

quick question, we have to fill out most of the secondary form by hand right?

if you have a type writer or .pdf editor program, you can use that. I used the latter.

(and for the long essay, you can just type that in word and print it on the back)

I mailed out my secondary application on 7/17. Since then, I haven't gotten any email regarding the progress of my secondary application. I wonder if any of you guys were contacted by Toledo regarding the completion or maybe receipt of the secondary application. :idea:

I mailed out my secondary application on 7/17. Since then, I haven't gotten any email regarding the progress of my secondary application. I wonder if any of you guys were contacted by Toledo regarding the completion or maybe receipt of the secondary application. :idea:

It was all snail-mail when I did my app so I don't know what the e-mail notifications will be but 9 days (including transit and weekends) is a little early to be worrying that they don't have your app yet.

I'd give them more time, esp this time of year when they're still tying to finalize the class of 2012 and they're probably inundated with secondaries.

I mailed mine on the 18th and haven't gotten a secondary received or app complete notice either. I wouldn't worry... most schools that have mail-in secondaries take a while to send you notices.

ignore. im doing admin stuff.

For the third essay about cultural competence, do you think its necessary to have been working with patients in a clinical setting? not everyone has worked as an EMT or nurse's aid in a hospital, so I don't have any actual experience in a clinical setting with patients, other than just jobshadowing. I tutored ESL adults at a learning center....do you think that would be fine?

For the third essay about cultural competence, do you think its necessary to have been working with patients in a clinical setting? not everyone has worked as an EMT or nurse's aid in a hospital, so I don't have any actual experience in a clinical setting with patients, other than just jobshadowing. I tutored ESL adults at a learning center....do you think that would be fine?

I don't think it has to be clinical. I talked about tutoring as well.

As I recall their definition of "cultural competence" included a health care setting, right? If you don't have such an example, then I guess you have to use a non-health care one.

They ask for a "life experience". The end goal is for you to have cultural competence in a clinical facet, but if your best example of cultural competence is in a non-clinical setting, by all means discuss that.

***disclaimer***
I am not in any way affiliated with the Admissions Committee, the above is my personal suggestion, don't read into it beyond that.

Just received an email from admissions today saying that my file is complete and all LORs are received and they will begin reviewing my file. NIceeee...that took a while...finally.......:rolleyes:

Is the general consensus that "poor" grades are considered those lower than an A or B?

If I have a single C in a tough class, does that warrant explanation?

If I have a single C in a tough class, does that warrant explanation?

Same here, I actually have one C+, I am not going to mention it. I dont want to draw attention to it and I think they realize that everyone may struggle with one class.

As far as the essay goes is it a one page limit? They say an attached sheet of paper, so does this mean just one sheet?

Same here, I actually have one C+, I am not going to mention it. I dont want to draw attention to it and I think they realize that everyone may struggle with one class.

As far as the essay goes is it a one page limit? They say an attached sheet of paper, so does this mean just one sheet?

I think so... either way, if you're typing more than a page, you're probably going to start boring the reader. There's something to be said for brevity.

so is anyone filling this out by hand or is everyone finding a way to type this?

So I'm a one year graduate do I need a letter of recommendation for what ive been doing for the past yr, or can I still count in the category of recent graduate

If you are not a recent college graduate, we will need in addition to the above, a letter of recommendation from someone who is familiar with your most recent activities since you left college. Additional letters of recommendation are accepted.

...and I submitted a committee letter with 3 letters from professors who may have mentioned I was wroking, and 1MD writer, and of course the committee letter

I'm still slightly confused about what they are looking for with the last essay. Do you think I could talk about working with people in lower socio-economic class...I work at a pediatricians and we have a large panel of Medicare patients...or do you think they are looking for more of interactions with peopl eor different races/ethnicities? Also, how long is everyone's essay?

I'm still slightly confused about what they are looking for with the last essay. Do you think I could talk about working with people in lower socio-economic class...I work at a pediatricians and we have a large panel of Medicare patients...or do you think they are looking for more of interactions with peopl eor different races/ethnicities? Also, how long is everyone's essay?

the first category probably works... my interpretation would be: PEOPLE NOT LIKE YOU

if you can sell it in an essay, you're probably fine.

Do you think it's ok to talk about more than one experience within a volunteering position?

Hey, I somehow made it past their screen with my garbage MCAT retake! My first one was 26R (8, 10, 8), and I think I was put on hold till my 2nd one came in. Well, my 2nd one came in earlier this week and turned out as a 24Q (8, 7, 9 :(). I thought that'd screen me out for sure, but they still kept me alive for some reason. Makes no sense on their part. :laugh:

Has anyone got an e-mail saying they are complete? I called and they have received my secondary which I sent on like 7/30. But they still haven't "processed" my LORs, yet those were sent even earlier than the secondary. I don't know if the LORs got lost and I will be waiting forever or they really are slow. But I don't understand how they processed the secondary faster, even though they received it later than the LORs. Should I just resend the LORs. The lady on the phone wasn't all that helpful. :(

Has anyone got an e-mail saying they are complete? I called and they have received my secondary which I sent on like 7/30. But they still haven't "processed" my LORs, yet those were sent even earlier than the secondary. I don't know if the LORs got lost and I will be waiting forever or they really are slow. But I don't understand how they processed the secondary faster, even though they received it later than the LORs. Should I just resend the LORs. The lady on the phone wasn't all that helpful. :(

No. Don't worry, they are slow in processing it. But to ease your mind:

Was your letters mailed out in paper form or was it uploaded on VE?

If your school/premed committee sent the letters by VirtualEval, then the University should have access to it. Must have been that they haven't uploaded it yet.

If it is letters, then did you have any form of ID/AMCAS # on there to identify that it was yours? It takes a while for letters to be matched up with the secondaries, but not too long. I'll call them back later and check on it. You don't want that to be the reason why you're late in completing.

I submitted all my secondaries pretty early. Got a complete e-mail from them on 8/4. I think I had mailed it in about 1 - 1 1/2 weeks before that. I used interfolio for my letters and had no trouble.

submitted this one today. i've been sitting on it for a month. part writer's block. part laziness. feels good to get it out of the pile though:oops:

No. Don't worry, they are slow in processing it. But to ease your mind:

Was your letters mailed out in paper form or was it uploaded on VE?

If your school/premed committee sent the letters by VirtualEval, then the University should have access to it. Must have been that they haven't uploaded it yet.

If it is letters, then did you have any form of ID/AMCAS # on there to identify that it was yours? It takes a while for letters to be matched up with the secondaries, but not too long. I'll call them back later and check on it. You don't want that to be the reason why you're late in completing.

It was actual letters sent via UPS with my AMCAS number of them. It is taking too long. :(

hey guys, i sent this one on 8/5/08, but they still haven't deposited my check yet! does this mean it might've gotten lost in the mail?

for #3, I already used my prime example in my ps, the next best ones are working in retail in high school and communicating with Spanish speaking customers or a study abroad experience, where I basically just learned about different cultures, didn't really do anything clinical or work with them. any suggestions how to make these work?

I am also a bit stuck on this app. I added UT recently so I just got the secondary. I really don't know what to say for cultural competance. What do you think of this example?

I went to a high school that served as a deaf magnet school. Interpreters were few and far between, and stretched between an elementary, middle and high school. So i enrolled in sign language and often interpreted for my friend in math class.

Thats the best thing I can come up with...

Status
Not open for further replies.