2009-2010 Cornell University (Weill Medical College) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompt

If you are not attending college during the 2009-10 academic year, what are your plans? (200 word limit)

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. (200 word limit)

LOR Reqs

• If your college has a preprofessional advisory committee, you must either submit a letter from this committee, or inform WCMC in writing why you cannot obtain a committee letter.
  • If your college does not have such a committee, we require two letters of evaluation from persons who know you well and can discuss your capabilities, accomplishments, and character. A teacher, whether at the undergraduate or graduate level, should be one who has worked with you personally.
  • If you have had substantial research, work, clinical or service experience, you should submit a letter from your supervisor in that experience.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am. Feels like a long shot for me, though.

my top choice, but it seems like a long shot at this point =/

i'd love to be in manhattan.

oh well we can only hope for the best. good luck everyone.

Just got an email invite to Cornell's secondary. Looks like we are getting started.

me neither:( do they screen for secondaries?

Hmm. Maybe they are sending it in batches or something...

Here is the text of the email for anyone who is interested:

Greetings!
We are pleased to receive your 2009 AMCAS application and thank you for your interest in the Weill Cornell Medical College.

To continue the application process at our medical college, you must submit an electronic Supplemental Application Form (SAF) and a $75.00 fee (if you do not have an AMCAS Fee Waiver). For instructions on how to proceed and to access our SAF, please go to

http://osaf.med.cornell.edu

Please read the information carefully and let us know if you have any questions. The deadline to submit your evaluation letters to AMCAS is November 16, 2009. Further admissions related information is available on our web site at www.med.cornell.edu/education

After submission of your SAF you may check the status of your application on line at
http://osaf-status.med.cornell.edu
Please bear in mind that it takes at least 24 hours for the application to populate our system, so an immediate check after submission will not give your updated status.

We look forward to receiving your SAF and other materials necessary to complete your application. We will notify you as soon as your application is complete.

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions
Weill Cornell Medical College
445 E 69 St., New York, NY 10021
Telephone 212-746-1067
Fax 212-746-8052
e-mail: [email protected]

would it be terrible if I sent in this secondary without getting the email invitation?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what it says on Cornell med's website

"Please note that if you try to access our secondary application without having received our instructional e-mail, it means your application has not been verified and the site will not accept your log in."

The log in worked for me so I think I will just send it in.

would someone mind posting the essay questions here, please?
thanks in advance!

If you are not attending college during the 2009-10 academic year, what are your plans? Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

Please write a brief statement giving your reasons for applying to Weill Cornell Medical College. Please limit your statement to less than 200 words.

They say less than 200 words for essay; does any know if we can go above it? will it accept your app if > 200 words?

They say less than 200 words for essay; does any know if we can go above it? will it accept your app if > 200 words?

i don't know; why don't you try :smuggrin:

kidding. i have no idea. just keep it under; it's really not that hard.

yeah I got the email too. I don't think they screen, but med schools are really weird about the way they send out secondaries... I have yet to receive one from Chicago, although others have.

Anyone know a solution to this:
I had seperate lab and lecture for all science courses. So I need 4 instead of 3 slots to fulfill each of my bio, chem phy, ochem courses. I was planning on combining both labs in one slot. Any ideas on this?

Anyone know a solution to this:
I had seperate lab and lecture for all science courses. So I need 4 instead of 3 slots to fulfill each of my bio, chem phy, ochem courses. I was planning on combining both labs in one slot. Any ideas on this?

yeah, that's what i'd do. you could also call to ask.

the 200 word limit is enforced. Donot go beyond 200; I tried, it went through but was not able to submit and had to redo the entire course listing. Painful.

I added both labs in the third slot; did not see a better way to do it and was too anxious to submit so decided not to wait till tomorrow to call. They (or Most of them) are smart people,they can figure it out. If not, AMCAS is there for reference.

same prompts as last year! good b/c i already wrote responses.

i was able to log-in but i technically didn't receive the e-mail yet... weird.

No email invite for me either, but my letters aren't in yet so I'll happily wait. I think the 3 slots / 4 courses problem applies to me too, so I'll probably give them a call Monday and let you all know what they say.

I'll start working on the second essay now. I just now saw they're non-rolling, which is nice. Not really a fan of the rush associated with rolling admissions.

I got the email today morning. I'm going to turn it in tomorrow.

I haven't received the secondary app yet.. starting to get worried..

Anyone know exactly what they mean by the "Writing Intensive" course requirement? In particular the humanities or social sciences requirement... I've taken semester long philosophy courses etc. where I had to write a few papers, I just am confused by the "writing intensive" part and what that entails exactly.

Oh I think I will be really **** up by the first prompt...
Honestly I will have ONE more class in the fall and then I'll be done with college. My plan for the following year is: in the fall, finish that reminding class while work for a job (probably as a waiter), and after the interview season is over, I plan to go back to my home country and relax and have fun. But I guess such plan is too lay back in the eyes of the adcoms. So what should I write?​

No email invite for me either, but my letters aren't in yet so I'll happily wait. I think the 3 slots / 4 courses problem applies to me too, so I'll probably give them a call Monday and let you all know what they say.

I'll start working on the second essay now. I just now saw they're non-rolling, which is nice. Not really a fan of the rush associated with rolling admissions.

cornell isn't rolling? since when? i know last year they accepted people in december, if not earlier.

(and btw, even schools that aren't rolling offer interviews on a rolling basis so you should still get stuff in ASAP :))

cornell isn't rolling? since when? i know last year they accepted people in december, if not earlier.

(and btw, even schools that aren't rolling offer interviews on a rolling basis so you should still get stuff in ASAP :))
it's non rolling, but some people ( i think urms?) are accepted in December.

"The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee. While some students are accepted in mid-December, most are accepted in early March.

If you are accepted to WCMC, we will notify you promptly after the decision by email and regular mail. If you would like to accept our offer of admission, you must notify us within two weeks. We ask you to submit a tuition deposit for $100 to indicate your intention to attend WCMC by May 15."

it's non rolling, but some people (i think urms?) are accepted in December.

"The Committee meets on a regular basis and discusses the applicants who have been interviewed. Decisions regarding acceptance are made by consensus of the Committee. While some students are accepted in mid-December, most are accepted in early March.

If you are accepted to WCMC, we will notify you promptly after the decision by email and regular mail. If you would like to accept our offer of admission, you must notify us within two weeks. We ask you to submit a tuition deposit for $100 to indicate your intention to attend WCMC by May 15."

aaah, that makes sense. i know DrLyss was accepted early. thanks for clearing that up!

(but my second point still stands-- get your stuff in early anyway.)

I submitted my secondary. I'm regretting it now. I shouldn't have.

How do you miss something like that? Cornell is an Ivy League school in Manhattan dood.

How do you miss something like that? Cornell is an Ivy League school in Manhattan dood.

Haha. Thanks for that. I found that quip especially hilarious.

it's non rolling, but some people ( i think urms?) are accepted in December.

Within 2 weeks?? but if you get accepted in mid-Dec, you won't know the outcome of your other schools by then! how could you make a decision within 2 weeks?

Others have already answered your question, but yeah they state it in the directions for their secondary: "Final decisions are communicated between December and March. Weill Cornell Medical College does not have rolling admissions. The class is selected in March." I had no clue (just thought Penn and Duke were the non-rolling ones I was applying to).

It's in the "Application Status" section here:
https://s005.med.cornell.edu/OSAF/WebObjects/OSAF.woa
Yeah, I'm going to turn it in early. But with rolling admissions your chance of acceptance also increases by applying as soon as possible. Much more incentive to get it done early compared to just an advantage in getting an interview, when all interviews are equally effective.
Within 2 weeks?? but if you get accepted in mid-Dec, you won't know the outcome of your other schools by then! how could you make a decision within 2 weeks?
You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th, after which you can only hold two if you get accepted off a waitlist. Before then, you can hold as many acceptances as you want. So you'd accept Cornell's offer, pay them, and get your money back if you choose to go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Others have already answered your question, but yeah they state it in the directions for their secondary: "Final decisions are communicated between December and March. Weill Cornell Medical College does not have rolling admissions. The class is selected in March." I had no clue (just knew Penn and Duke were out of my schools).

Yeah, I'm going to turn it in early. But with rolling admissions your chance of acceptance also increases by applying as soon as possible. Much more incentive to get it done early compared to just an advantage in getting an interview, when all interviews are equally effective.

You can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th, after which you can only hold two if you get accepted off a waitlist. Before then, you can hold as many acceptances as you want. So you'd accept Cornell's offer, pay them, and get your money back if you choose to go elsewhere.
Well this makes sense to me now...
I guess we have to deposite a lot of $$ into schools to jusy hold our acceptances.

got my secondary email today, yay!

Others have already answered your question, but yeah they state it in the directions for their secondary: "Final decisions are communicated between December and March. Weill Cornell Medical College does not have rolling admissions. The class is selected in March." I had no clue (just thought Penn and Duke were the non-rolling ones I was applying to).

i don't understand the bolded. if the class is selected in march, how can they notify people of final decisions as early as december? something does not add up here.

and for the record, in my head, rolling = letting people know "as early as" whenever. unless all the decisions come out on the same day-ish (a la harvard), the school is rolling for my personal purposes.

i don't understand the bolded. if the class is selected in march, how can they notify people of final decisions as early as december? something does not add up here.

and for the record, in my head, rolling = letting people know "as early as" whenever. unless all the decisions come out on the same day-ish (a la harvard), the school is rolling for my personal purposes.

Probably URM?

Whoo-hoo I got the email today! and 2 other schools. :D

Probably URM?

DrLyss already said they accept non-URMs in december too. (scroll up.) and even if it was only URMs (which it's not), the class is still being selected earlier than march. :eyebrow:

well, the ENTIRE CLASS will be selected by march. in december, it's just a couple of students.

well, the ENTIRE CLASS will be selected by march. in december, it's just a couple of students.

i know this is just semantics, but it drives me crazy. they should say the class will be selected by march. not in march.

Status
Not open for further replies.