2009-2010 Cornell University (Weill Medical College) Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think we have the right to be confused/frustrated if a school isn't giving us easily understandable info.

I'm just joshing, bro! I get mad when it's not clear whether or not an essay is TRULY optional or just "optional."
 
Did anyone figure out what to do in terms of putting in the labs with only 3 slots?

Did they not expect this to be a common problem? haha
 
Did anyone figure out what to do in terms of putting in the labs with only 3 slots?

Did they not expect this to be a common problem? haha
I did what the poster above said: put both labs into one slot. Like mentioned before, it wasn't that hard, and if it really is confusing to the adcom, they can reference AMCAS anyways.
 
i just submitted the secondary.

i was also annoyed with the 3 slots. also, some of my course numbers were too long and so i just left them blank...
 
not just URMs are offered early acceptances in December 🙂 There were a quite a few non-URMs offered early spots this past year. Although I did notice a lot of URMs were offered in December too (I knew of about 4)

just thought I should clear that up. carry on lol


What's URM?
 
wow cornell secondary is short and sweet! if I am still attending my school during year 2009-2010 then I don't have to write that one right? In cases like this, does people simply leave it blank or write one sentence explaining that you don't qualify for the question.

This cornell essay is way better than the UChicago one which is giving me a headache.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe affiliated hospital means they can use each other's resources. But you can only do clerkships in teaching hospitals. For example, Cayuga Medical Center...not a teaching hospital for medical students.
 
ok I have a general question about short essays. See, for the "why cornell?" essay I wanted to talk about 3 aspects of cornell that I like, and obviously 200 words is pretty tight. I've noticed the small lengths of essays in other secondaries. I'm just wondering, for most of, do you make these into a full-fledged essay with opening/concluding sentences or anything? Or is it acceptable to simply tell what they're asking for and not worry about making it look like a real essay or anything. For the longer essays I def make them into essays, but these short ones always seem so choppy and blunt to me when I write them, because I really have no space to embellish.
 
I like to be choppy and blunt. Physicians are used to reading in that style. Everything they write, papers, post-op reports, imaging reports are choppy and blunt. I think the goal of these short ones is for the interviewers to read 15 seconds beforehand and know what is going on.
 
One of the course requirement says:

The minimum grade in any course to fulfill a WCMC admissions requirement is "C."

So people with "C-" can't even apply here?

Also, what are the writing-intensive courses.. would any introductory philosophy courses work?
 
One of the course requirement says:

The minimum grade in any course to fulfill a WCMC admissions requirement is "C."

So people with "C-" can't even apply here?

Also, what are the writing-intensive courses.. would any introductory philosophy courses work?

Just got a reply from Cornell saying I will be disqulified if I have C-
 
Does anyone know about Weill's specific curriculum and what they mean by "active learning"? Are they just lecture courses that give you a little bit of active thinking homework in addition to the normal stuff, or is the course completely designed around problem solving like PBL?
 
One of the course requirement says:

The minimum grade in any course to fulfill a WCMC admissions requirement is "C."

So people with "C-" can't even apply here?

Also, what are the writing-intensive courses.. would any introductory philosophy courses work?

Writing intensive courses show up on your transcript with a W, so it would have to be something like Philosophy 10W.
 
for the biology courses section, could we put something like -- biochem, biochem lab, animal physiology (which included a lab)

???

the directions are kind of vague
 
Anyone know a solution to this:
I had seperate lab and lecture for all science courses. So I need 4 instead of 3 slots to fulfill each of my bio, chem phy, ochem courses. I was planning on combining both labs in one slot. Any ideas on this?
Question on this: I'm finally getting around to submitting this secondary (the letter I was waiting on still hasn't been sent in), and I was wondering why we even need to fill in our labs?

Directions right about their course section: "Weill Cornell Medical College requires twenty-four semester credits in the sciences, including coursework in the following subjects."

They give us four science subjects, so that's 6 hours each. With labs, most people have 8 hours... so why include them?
 
This is a question probably best answered by a current student, but what is the precise relationship between Weill Cornell Medical College and the affiliated institutions like MSKCC, Rockefeller, HSS, and NY-Presbyterian? Is it correct to say that NYP is Cornell's University Hospital, while MSKCC, Rockefeller, HSS, are merely affiliated with the school, but are independent entities?
 
This is a question probably best answered by a current student, but what is the precise relationship between Weill Cornell Medical College and the affiliated institutions like MSKCC, Rockefeller, HSS, and NY-Presbyterian? Is it correct to say that NYP is Cornell's University Hospital, while MSKCC, Rockefeller, HSS, are merely affiliated with the school, but are independent entities?

yes, more or less. NYP is cornell's hospital; that's where you'd do your clinical rotations. I believe those other places are merely affiliated, but you can get involved with research there and stuff. There are so many schools in NY though, that a lot of these hospitals exhibit overlap with other NY med schools.
 
just called up Weill and asked them about the 3 slot/4 courses dilemma we've been having. the woman i talked to said that we should just enter 3 of the courses, like we did in AMCAS, and that the fourth one theyll get off your transcripts. she said they just want to see that most of the reqs are completed and if they need more information theyll refer to AMCAS.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for the premed packet under the LORs, do you enter only the school name under evaluator or affiliation? evaluator right??
 
Did you guys get a confirmation email after submitting the secondary and paying the fee? I submitted and paid on sunday, but I never got an email confirming that I submitted the secondary like most schools do. Also, when I log in to the secondary app online there's nothing that says "submitted", etc.
 
Did you guys get a confirmation email after submitting the secondary and paying the fee? I submitted and paid on sunday, but I never got an email confirming that I submitted the secondary like most schools do. Also, when I log in to the secondary app online there's nothing that says "submitted", etc.
Thank you for your application to Weill Medical College of Cornell University, which has been submitted successfully.

We will communicate with you when your application is complete (i.e., we have received your letters of recommendation).

Office of Admissions
Weill Medical College
 
Thank you for your application to Weill Medical College of Cornell University, which has been submitted successfully.

We will communicate with you when your application is complete (i.e., we have received your letters of recommendation).

Office of Admissions
Weill Medical College

Was that in an email, or on the webpage? My bank account shows that my secondary fee to Cornell went through...but when I log in to the webpage, it just shows my secondary (all filled in)...it looks exactly like it did before I submitted the app. Nothing that indicates I already submitted this. Maybe it wasn't processed correctly?
 
Was that in an email, or on the webpage? My bank account shows that my secondary fee to Cornell went through...but when I log in to the webpage, it just shows my secondary (all filled in)...it looks exactly like it did before I submitted the app. Nothing that indicates I already submitted this. Maybe it wasn't processed correctly?

I got a submission confirmation email after sending in my secondary. Also, my status page changed to reflect the submission.
 
...it just shows my secondary (all filled in)...it looks exactly like it did before I submitted the app. Nothing that indicates I already submitted this. Maybe it wasn't processed correctly?
I would call them, this sounds like something messed up - especially if you've been charged.
 
they e-mailed this to me when my application was complete (only a portion of the email is pasted below):

Greetings!
We have the pleasure of informing you that your application for admission to the 2010 entering class at Weill Cornell is complete. However, please be advised that the evaluation process is long and it may take months before you hear from us again. .........
 
Affiliation question: Should I completely leave this question blank since my parents are neither alumni or faculty at Cornell, or should I put down my parents' names and just not check any boxes?
 
Affiliation question: Should I completely leave this question blank since my parents are neither alumni or faculty at Cornell, or should I put down my parents' names and just not check any boxes?
I did the latter. They'll understand either way.
 
haha you guys are funny. Cornell is non-rolling so they have one date in March when they notify most of the students about their status. This means that whether you interview in September or February you should have the same shot at getting in.


BUT Cornell is unique in the non-rolling circle because they have another date in December where they notify a handful of superstar students early in an attempt to woo them before they get other big time offers from other schools. (NYU has kind of started doing this too & probably others too). I'm not sure how I mistakenly got lumped with those brainiacs but I'm taking my acceptance and running with it before they figure out they made a mistake! :meanie:


So for those keeping score, majority of you will have to wait till March to learn your fate. A select few will hear early. Cornell is still non-rolling & it doesn't really matter when you interview because all of the files are presented at the same time.

Also, MD-PhD students are notified early in December.

🙂
PS - I'm just starting my first (out of 8ish) years here, so feel free to PM me or email me at britishmafia at gmail dot com if you have any questions.
 
I'm not sure how I mistakenly got lumped with those brainiacs but I'm taking my acceptance and running with it before they figure out they made a mistake! :meanie:

Haha, I was accepted last December as well and I feel the same way 😛. I'm also Caucasian so it's not just for URMs. I do want to point out that I know of two people who sent their secondaries in much earlier than me and received earlier interview offers. One ended up being rejected and the other one waitlisted while I received the December offer. Because of this, it's probably safe to treat them as a non-rolling institution.

They are also considered non-rolling because they send out all March acceptances at the same time, unlike some other schools that send them out little by little as the cycle continues.
 
I was about to submit this secondary when I realized that they ask for the courses to be entered exactly as they are on your AMCAS. I realized that AMCAS changed my course term years so that all freshman year courses are from one year, even if taken in fall and spring (so it seems general chem 2 was taking befoer general chem 1). Now this doesnt make much sense to me, but I guess that is how they like it.

Should I be entering the term year as the year I took the course or the year of the term, eg all courses taken during my junior year would be called "2006"
 
I was writing my "why do you want to go to cornell" answer, and I sent it to a friend of mine who goes to Cornell med school to edit it. In my answer, I mentioned the research opportunities as a reason I wanted to go to Cornell. My friend told me to look up specific professors I might want to work with and mention them. He told me that's what he did and it showed that he was really into the school. However, he was an M.D./Ph.D. applicant, so I'm guessing it was necessary for him to do that. I'm applying M.D. only. I feel like talking about specific professors would be a little too much. What do you guys think?
 
I think you should be honest about it. If there is something you really want to do, mentioning it might be worth while. I also think the word limit is tiny, and to try to write something so specific (especially if it is not totally genuine) might take away from some other things you could say...not an expert though

any ideas on my post above? Did your AMCAS evaluator do that too?
 
I think you should be honest about it. If there is something you really want to do, mentioning it might be worth while. I also think the word limit is tiny, and to try to write something so specific (especially if it is not totally genuine) might take away from some other things you could say...not an expert though

any ideas on my post above? Did your AMCAS evaluator do that too?

Yeah... it does look like they did that to mine too but the last column indicates that the reviewer didn't change anything. I'm guessing that we didn't put "2007" as a course year, but rather picked "2007-2008" as the school year and the shortened AMCAS verification form we have cuts it off. Honestly, I've used the "actual" year that I've taken all my classes in. I'd much rather explain that if asked about the possible discrepancy rather than say, "Well AMCAS changed all my years to years in which I truly didn't take the class and so I thought I'd follow suit."
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Regarding the Qatar program.. would financing it be in the same way as u would finance any other US school? or is it more like getting money for the Caribbean? I'm asking this because I'm a Canadian citizen and can only get money from US banks unfortunately.. so I can't go to the Caribbean for example since it's outside the US and the banks would only finance my education if I study at a school in the US.. so would Cornell Qatar be different since it's .. well.. Cornell?
 
itsalovestory, thank you for your answer!

I actually just called the admissions office, and fyi they want you to put whatever is on your amcas pdf. I looked into it, and it looks like even if you wrote 2006, for example, if that was for your 2005-2006 school year they will record it as 2005. It is still listed in chronological order, though. Because this is how it is recorded on your amcas pdf, even if you took the course in the spring of 2006 you should wrote 2005 on your Cornell application.

This makes no sense, but this is what they said. They just want it to match up exactly.
 
The Cornell FAQ says:

Do you accept AP credits for prerequisites?

We accept AP credits for physics only. Requirements for other courses must be met by taking advanced science coursework.

---

What about AP credit to fulfill one of the writing requirements? I ask because the above answer only mentions "advance science coursework." If not, would taking a writing-intensive politics course at a community college hurt my chances? All my other pre-reqs, including science courses, have been taken at my 4-year undergraduate institution.
 
itsalovestory, thank you for your answer!

I actually just called the admissions office, and fyi they want you to put whatever is on your amcas pdf. I looked into it, and it looks like even if you wrote 2006, for example, if that was for your 2005-2006 school year they will record it as 2005. It is still listed in chronological order, though. Because this is how it is recorded on your amcas pdf, even if you took the course in the spring of 2006 you should wrote 2005 on your Cornell application.

This makes no sense, but this is what they said. They just want it to match up exactly.

So for a S2 2007 course, you're listing it as "Spring 2007" even though it was really "Spring 2008"?
 
Shoot I was filling out the 2ndary just now and noticed that one of the "writing intensive" courses need to be in the social sciences or humanities. I have 4 but none of them fit the social/humanities criteria. I did, however, take two classes where we wrote a lot but the classes is not officially designated as writing intensive. I wonder if this means I can't apply.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.