2010-2011 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don't apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where's the Colorado love??

Good luck everyone!!

Just waiting for their secondary, but very excited to apply here. I love Colorado.

Members don't see this ad :)
If only I were more diverse. Or had an economically disadvantaged background. I hate having to write about "the extent to which things didn't apply" to me.

And I haven't gotten an invite yet. I'm just basing that on the website saying it will be the same.

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompts for the UC secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Sorry if I've missed a previous post, but would someone mind posting the essay prompts for the UC secondary prompts on this thread?

Thanks!

Again not out yet, if they are the same as last year you can find them in last year's thread.

Would really like to go here. Hoping they like me even though I'm not nontrad.

Well, they take about 27% of their student body straight out undergrad, and I'm guessing not many of that 27% has your mcat/gpa combo. ;)

No secondaries available from Colorado yet?

Does that mean I won't technically be "late" even if I haven't submitted my AMCAS yet?

I really hope the essay is the same. I'm putting a lot of hope into my IS school working out. Especially because I'd want to go here regardless.

Has anyone received this yet? It says the earliest submission date is tomorrow, so I'm hoping it comes out tomorrow..

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received this yet? It says the earliest submission date is tomorrow, so I'm hoping it comes out tomorrow..

My guess is that it won't be out tomorrow but rather on Monday at the earliest.

My guess is that it won't be out tomorrow but rather on Monday at the earliest.

Hi everyone! Last year the Colorado secondary didn't come out until August 18th, and they send you an email with a username and password.

I am going to be a first year this year, and I'm happy to answer any questions you guys might have!!

Good Luck :luck:

Hello all,

I went to a pre-application workshop at the school a couple weeks ago, and they said the secondary would be released today (August 1st).

But then this past week, I got an email from my prehealth office (CU undergrad) that said the secondary would be released in mid-August.

I would guess that the prehealth office at CU-Boulder would be right, but be expecting the secondary soon. I'm planning on finishing mine up this week just to make sure I am ready.

Oh, and the secondary essay is exactly the same as last year.

Also, if you are interested in applying to one of the track programs (rural, urban, global), you will have to write an essay for that too on your secondary. I'm not sure exactly what the essays are, but they are along the line of why do you want to do this program?, and what previous experience do you have in these areas (whether rural, urban, global)?

You do not have to apply to the track program now; you can wait. However, the admissions rep said they fill up quickly, so if you really want to do one of them, you should apply when you do your secondary.

That last post officially shifted me from junior member to MEMBER! yay!!:)

Finally got my AMCAS submitted. My transcripts have been received for weeks. Hopefully verification won't take too long!

Secondary is out! Looks like same prompt as last year. Does anyone know if there is a character limit on it?

Required Colorado Essay
People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don’t apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.​

Interesting secondary. Just got it a little while ago. Not too bad of a secondary.

They don't have the global health track anymore?!

Secondary is out! Looks like same prompt as last year. Does anyone know if there is a character limit on it?

Required Colorado Essay
People take different (and sometimes difficult) paths on their journey to becoming a doctor. Tell us (a) about hardships you have overcome or challenges that you have faced in arriving at this point in your life, or (b) to the extent that these circumstances don’t apply to you, please describe experiences you have had which help you appreciate the challenges faced by individuals in these situations. Your discussion might include such things as family or personal health challenges, being from an economically disadvantaged background, having lived in a very rural or underserved community, being the first in your family to attend college, or speaking English as a second language.​

2,500. Says it at the very bottom for some reason :p.

For some reason I find this kind of essay difficult. Mostly because it's hard to talk about stuff like this!

For some reason I find this kind of essay difficult. Mostly because it's hard to talk about stuff like this!

I had too much to talk about...2500 characters wasn't enough. Making the style piece tough.

Can someone clarify something for me...?

I'm OOS and their website has OOS tuition at 82K a year!! But I've heard people say it is only ~50K OOS. Can anyone shed some light on this...?

And can you get in-state tuition rates after a year or two???

I love Colorado, but I'm not sure my love is worth 82,000...

I thought the 2,500 character limit was for the bottom essay from the way it read...I dont know what the top essay character limit is supposed to be...

I thought the 2,500 character limit was for the bottom essay from the way it read...I dont know what the top essay character limit is supposed to be...

I solved the mystery! According to this page, the regular essay has a limit of 2500 characters.

Also, mcctwist1, don't quote me on this but IIRC it's that much just for the first year, and then regular in-state tuition the next three.

jcwhitts said:
I had too much to talk about...2500 characters wasn't enough.

I know what you mean. But I feel like some of the stuff I have been through is too personal to include. But I'll think about it...

Ugggh... I have to admit I was hoping they'd change the essay this year. Part A doesn't apply to me so I guess I'm going to have to cover Part B.

Hi everyone,

I went to a pre-application workshop at the school, and they gave us a piece of advice on the essay.

DO NOT TRY AND FORCE AN ANSWER FOR PART A!!!!!!!!

She said that every year, they get a ton of ridiculous answers because everyone tries to do part A.

She said that there is absolutely no problem with doing part B.

Sorry, to add...

So, if you are on the borderline between doing A and B, you might just do B, or suggest part A to someone else to see what they think.

They don't have the global health track anymore?!

That seems weird, considering it is the school's most popular track. I even heard the admissions rep talk about it when I was at the application workshop in July.

Maybe there will be a separate way to do it independent of this secondary. I can't imagine it's gone.

Also, mcctwist1, don't quote me on this but IIRC it's that much just for the first year, and then regular in-state tuition the next three.

I actually just dig some digging on last years thread and apparently OOS tuition is ~50k and with living expenses puts COA around 75K. Also, OOS students CANNOT get in-state tuition after the first year. You are at 75K all four years...Bummer

I actually just dig some digging on last years thread and apparently OOS tuition is ~50k and with living expenses puts COA around 75K. Also, OOS students CANNOT get in-state tuition after the first year. You are at 75K all four years...Bummer

It has to do with being sponsored. You can be a sponsored student and the state covers the "sponsor fee." If you accept a non-sponsored spot, then you pay non-sponsored tuition for all four years and a state won't pick up covering that massive fee for you after the first year, and why non-res students can't get in-state later.

So that's how WICHE people get in-state, their state pays that sponsor fee. You can technically be a non-sponsored in-state student if the state can't fund a certain number of spots.

So the 50K cost is really just in-state + the accountable student fee of 25,571$
Accountable Student Support Fee
- Annual fee for students who, upon admission into medical or dental school, will not be receiving funding from the state of Colorado or a cooperative state for any portion of the costs incurred in participating in their training program. (from the SFS page)

How much are your tuition and fees?

Tuition and fees (2010-2011) for Colorado residents is $30,334, and for non-residents, $55,905. Tuition normally increases about 7% per year. (from the admissions FAQ)

Hi everyone,

I went to a pre-application workshop at the school, and they gave us a piece of advice on the essay.

DO NOT TRY AND FORCE AN ANSWER FOR PART A!!!!!!!!

She said that every year, they get a ton of ridiculous answers because everyone tries to do part A.

She said that there is absolutely no problem with doing part B.

Thanks for all the info Barcu! Did they give you any examples of "rediculous answers" that you can recall?

Anyone else submit their application? Kind of worrisome it won't confirm you submitted, but if you click on the application link again the essay is blank and it seems like it'll let you complete it again.

Can someone else ease my mind that it really did go through? I paid and everything. Haha.

Thanks for all the info Barcu! Did they give you any examples of "rediculous answers" that you can recall?

They did actually. A guy who was Brazilian wrote about how people always got confused and thought he was Mexican and liked spicy food, even though he didn't like spicy food.

Absolutely ridiculous stuff. I don't think most people are that extreme. However, just be careful to choose a legitimate gripe.

They did actually. A guy who was Brazilian wrote about how people always got confused and thought he was Mexican and liked spicy food, even though he didn't like spicy food.

Absolutely ridiculous stuff. I don't think most people are that extreme. However, just be careful to choose a legitimate gripe.

That sounds like a bad essay about racial profiling. I think even an essay about the above would work if it was well written. If you are often the recipient of racial assumptions and profiling it could adversely affect many areas of your life. While the above example could be a bad representation of this issue, it could still be an issue nonetheless.

Anybody applying to the CU-UNITE Urban Track? Any thoughts on those essays?

That sounds like a bad essay about racial profiling. I think even an essay about the above would work if it was well written. If you are often the recipient of racial assumptions and profiling it could adversely affect many areas of your life. While the above example could be a bad representation of this issue, it could still be an issue nonetheless.

Sorry. I kind of phrased it poorly. The person wrote that people thought Brazilian's liked spicy food, like Mexican food, but they actually hated spicy food.

Anyone have anymore info on why there is no Global Track option?

Anyone have anymore info on why there is no Global Track option?

I emailed them about it and they replied back:

"At this time we are not offering the Global Health Track, if anything changes during this application cycle we will notify all applicants of the change."

This was a big reason I applied to Colorado. Sad. :(

I emailed them about it and they replied back:

"At this time we are not offering the Global Health Track, if anything changes during this application cycle we will notify all applicants of the change."

This was a big reason I applied to Colorado. Sad. :(

Me too! It's a bummer but I'd still like to go here anyways...

Is it possible to apply to one of the tracks after you've been accepted? The UNITE track sounds interesting, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.