-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
the fact of the matter is that it IS winding down, and the director of admissions told us on my interview date that they speed up the process at the end. i highly assume this means i will not be waiting for 10 weeks...especially if nymc realizes they'll lose qualified applicants the longer into the application season they wait. again, thanks for re-stating what i had already said in my first post.
Fight! Fight!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
LOL and to think I was only trying to help...
So is NYMC done with interview invites?
I am thinking about applying here next cycle and I was wondering how strict they are on having one letter from a professor who is in the same department as your major. Do they not consider you at all if you don't have one or do they make exceptions? Thanks!
I am thinking about applying here next cycle and I was wondering how strict they are on having one letter from a professor who is in the same department as your major. Do they not consider you at all if you don't have one or do they make exceptions? Thanks!
Not sure about having a professor in the same department, but I didn't have a non-science professor write a letter and they still gave me an interview in March. Still have not heard a decision, but I did write them an email explaining why I did not have that letter.
Oh the reason I asked was because online they list as a requirement
"One letter of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored (as identified in your AMCAS application), whether science or non-science."
So i was wondering if this is an absolute requirement
"One letter of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored (as identified in your AMCAS application), whether science or non-science."
So i was wondering if this is an absolute requirement
That screams desperation on their part.I just called nymc and they said that they interview through the first week of may and that we have until the end of this month to receive an interview invite.
That screams desperation on their part.
lol. idk what it screams.
i'd like an interview from these pplz!!!
i sent them a long and sincere LOI.
i think it might be time for another one.
Oh the reason I asked was because online they list as a requirement
"One letter of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored (as identified in your AMCAS application), whether science or non-science."
So i was wondering if this is an absolute requirement
Are you gonna be using a committee letter? If so then you don't need it. Otherwise I would try to get the letter.
When you've called, how have you gotten through to an actual person? The hotline doesn't exactly have an option for "I have questions that can't be answered by a hotline." Are you just hitting the "schedule an interview" button?
😕
😕
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If the 3/4 people got decisions on 4/12..that means the 3/9 people can get their decisions TODAY.
Oh god, I'm nervous...
Any news for 3/9 interviewees?
Any news for 3/9 interviewees?
I just called the dept of admissions and they said that I should hear back in 10-12 weeks post interview!!!! Riiiidiculous.
I interviewed 3/8, I'm withdrawing today.
Withdrew from the Waitlist. Best of luck to everyone awaiting news.
withdrew from the waitlist. Best of luck to everyone awaiting news.
thanks for letting us know! Gl
That screams desperation on their part.
There were more than 10,000 applications to sift through this year. You have to interview a reasonable number of those people (about 10%). Getting to all of those people takes time - the professors only have so much time to spen interviewing, and the lunch table is only so big. Maybe if we doubled increased the size of interview groups then the season wouldn't go as long and more people would just come off the waitlist - but the logistics just aren't there.
Honestly, you think desperation is the right word? When half of the applicants with a 30 MCAT / 3.5 GPA don't get a single acceptance? Honestly.
Most schools receive even more applications and they get the job done just fine. More expediently as a matter of fact.
Your answer is factually incorrect.
The AAMC reports only 9 medical schools out of approximately 130 with anywhere near-10,000 applications.
George Washington 13,709
Drexel 12,151
NYMC 11,251
Georgetown 10,797
Boston 10,705
Rosalind Franklin 10,411
Loyola 10,173
Albany 9,181
Tufts 8,946
"Most schools" don't even come close to these numbers. Of those that do, "most" have the benefit of a university-supplied or funded admissions department, and the staff/facilities to process those interviewees. Or, like NYMC and other small schools with 10,000 applications, they take as many people as they can at a time and end up interviewing later in the year. There is no way to cram more people into the basic sciences building. Us med students need our space, too.
Ugh...
Last edited:
When you've called, how have you gotten through to an actual person? The hotline doesn't exactly have an option for "I have questions that can't be answered by a hotline." Are you just hitting the "schedule an interview" button?
😕
When I called, there was an option for asking any questions regarding the secondary application, and it eventually led me to the admissions department.
Your answer is factually incorrect.
The AAMC reports only 9 medical schools out of approximately 130 with anywhere near-10,000 applications.
George Washington 13,709
Drexel 12,151
NYMC 11,251
Georgetown 10,797
Boston 10,705
Rosalind Franklin 10,411
Loyola 10,173
Albany 9,181
Tufts 8,946
"Most schools" don't even come close to these numbers. Of those that do, "most" have the benefit of a university-supplied or funded admissions department, and the staff/facilities to process those interviewees. Or, like NYMC and other small schools with 10,000 applications, they take as many people as they can at a time and end up interviewing later in the year. There is no way to cram more people into the basic sciences building. Us med students need our space, too.
Ugh...
For a medical student you sure do spend a lot of time on SDN. Looking up all kinds of facts and info to outwit anxiously waiting pre-meds. Kinda lame if you ask me
For a medical student you sure do spend a lot of time on SDN. Looking up all kinds of facts and info to outwit anxiously waiting pre-meds. Kinda lame if you ask me
A lot of time? In two years I have how many posts? I got the exact figure in 30 seconds. Google is so hard to use!
You know what I find lame? People lying about my medical school and stating it as fact.
There are, however, certain bits of info that people can't readily look up. When that's the case, I have tried to clear up the misinformation. It doesn't take very long, I think it does some good (even to those who read but don't post), and honestly I have plenty of free time.
Try getting by with squishy info in medical school. You must have a firm number / citation when you make a statement of "fact". And when you're wrong, concede the point. This is a medical school board, for crying out loud.
for people who have submitted Fin Aid phase 1. Do we have to submit credit scores by apr 26th as well?
So...back to pre-med stuff (no offense gplex you've be amazingly helpful, u rock) but I would like to know the answer to this question 🙂
For a medical student you sure do spend a lot of time on SDN. Looking up all kinds of facts and info to outwit anxiously waiting pre-meds. Kinda lame if you ask me
I wouldn't call looking up readily available information "outwitting." And the assertion that "most schools" have over 10,000 applications was just ignorant. It deserved a response
Two questions 🙂
1. Does anyone know who to address a letter of interest/intent to for this school?
2. Has anyone from interviews on March 9th or after been notified of a decision?
1. "Admissions Committee" I think?
2. Nope.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A lot of time? In two years I have how many posts? I got the exact figure in 30 seconds. Google is so hard to use!
You know what I find lame? People lying about my medical school and stating it as fact.
There are, however, certain bits of info that people can't readily look up. When that's the case, I have tried to clear up the misinformation. It doesn't take very long, I think it does some good (even to those who read but don't post), and honestly I have plenty of free time.
Try getting by with squishy info in medical school. You must have a firm number / citation when you make a statement of "fact". And when you're wrong, concede the point. This is a medical school board, for crying out loud.
Maybe I was a little crass. I'm not too happy with NYMC. Flew to NY to be told by my interviewer (one of the Deans) that my research sucked and was basically talking **** about Alabama and UAB. Oh well 🙄
do you guys know if the adcom meets weekly at this point? i just want to KNOW already. interviewed 03/16. i know it's early, but it seems like some people who interviewed a week or two before me already know their answer...
Yep, I'm curious too. Does anybody know if adcom meets weekly and what day of the week? Sooooooo tired of waiting 😱
Interviewed on the 20th. The school is absolutely beautiful. Gplex is right, It def does not deserve the bad press it gets.
BTW who was the one in the purple stang? If your reading, thanks for being my touring buddy.
I interviewed yesterday too. Nicole from Buffalo with the ponytail 🙂
Yep, I'm curious too. Does anybody know if adcom meets weekly and what day of the week? Sooooooo tired of waiting 😱
I think they meet either Friday or Thursday. Most people heard back on Monday, so I think they meet end of the week?
I spend wayy too much time stalking this board..
I interviewed 3/4 and still haven't heard any news yet... anyone else in the same boat?
I interviewed on 2/9 and haven't heard anything yet. I have just approached 10 weeks so hopefully i'll hear something soon. 😱
For those of you that interviewed recently (past few weeks), can you share a little bit about your interviews and what they asked?? I'm interviewing next week and I am FREAKING OUT lol.
I've read the questions on the interview feedback section of the forum, but all the questions seem very basic and random. What questions did you guys get??
Thanks!!
I've read the questions on the interview feedback section of the forum, but all the questions seem very basic and random. What questions did you guys get??
Thanks!!
For those of you that interviewed recently (past few weeks), can you share a little bit about your interviews and what they asked?? I'm interviewing next week and I am FREAKING OUT lol.
I've read the questions on the interview feedback section of the forum, but all the questions seem very basic and random. What questions did you guys get??
Thanks!!
Don't freak out. It's a very calm and conversational interview day. There is lots of free time to observe classes and talk to students.
Everyone I met there from the admin to the staff to the students were super nice.
They will just ask you things about yourself/your application. The one thing they do say at the beginning of the day is that all interviewers will ask you if there are any "red flags" on your application. So if anything is lacking i.e. GPA/MCAT/lack of ECs let them know. Also have a good reason why this doesn't really affect your ability to attend medical school and maybe what you've learned from it.
My interviewer certainly asked me this and I certainly had a good conversational answer prepared.
Aside from that have fun. If it's not raining it's supposed to be very nice in NY next week.
Enjoy.
FYI for anyone that interviewed after 3/4 (when the last people heard) I placed a call to admissions recently and they said they are working diligently to get all the decisions out so I think March interviews should hear soon I would hope.
For those of you that interviewed recently (past few weeks), can you share a little bit about your interviews and what they asked?? I'm interviewing next week and I am FREAKING OUT lol.
I've read the questions on the interview feedback section of the forum, but all the questions seem very basic and random. What questions did you guys get??
Thanks!!
I agree...Don't worry! I'm not sure if it's true for all interviewers, but mine had read my personal statement but had not seen anything else in my file. So...it really was pretty basic, from "Where did you go to school?" to "What were some ECs?" And yes, the "red flag" thing is good to know about...definitely have a solid answer prepared.
The one good thing about having the interview like this was that the questions were pretty general and conversational, because he really was trying to get to know me!
You'll do great!
For those of you that interviewed recently (past few weeks), can you share a little bit about your interviews and what they asked?? I'm interviewing next week and I am FREAKING OUT lol.
I've read the questions on the interview feedback section of the forum, but all the questions seem very basic and random. What questions did you guys get??
Thanks!!
It's like that because the questions ARE very basic. If you've already been to other interviews, you have already heard their questions. I guess occasionally you can get some unusual questions, though. The only thing is to make sure you have an answer prepared if you have any red flags (or simply say no if you don't). I didn't know what a red flag was so it was good that I reviewed them. Cake interview (although I was only waitlisted so take that with a grain of salt).
Oh yeah and I suggest you just RELAX. Biggest suggestion to make during these interviews. I mean don't start telling them bad things about yourself, but if you're not relaxed you're going to do worse in the interview. It's not that big of a deal. I did like 20 of these this year and I wish I had been able to relax for mine.
So...back to pre-med stuff (no offense gplex you've be amazingly helpful, u rock) but I would like to know the answer to this question 🙂
I haven't sent them my credit scores yet, but they haven't asked for it yet (right?)
I sent in Step 1 stuff at the beginning of this month and I'm just waiting on them to send the Step 2 forms or request any more information for Step 1 that I may have missed.
anyone going to second look tomorrow??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally got my rejection. About freaking time!
Sorry to hear that🙁 When did you interview?
Finally got my rejection. About freaking time!
hi pelo~ i hate to ask you these questions, but when did you interview and how did you get your rejection (email/letter) ? i have been waiting for my rejection/waitlist/acceptance for too long and i'm getting so tired
i interview on 2/9- Status
- Not open for further replies.