Drexel Waitlist Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for all the responses guysit really pisses me off that they choose to waitlist so many people. i would much rather be rejected than have false hope. anyway, given that the waitlist number is that high i am resigned to not being in medical school till 2009. i just got in to the drexel ims program so it looks like that is my plan for the next year. have a good memorial day weekend. later

Members don't see this ad.

In the post right before disqfish, it was stated that Dr. H, probably Dr. Hanau, doesn't expect to go to the waitlist. When was your interview? Did anyone else hear that at all because my heart just stopped when I read that post. I also just e-mailed Dr. Hanau regarding her expectations of the waitlist movement. I'm not sure if she's even going to respond, but I will post her response if she does. Have a nice day yall

My interview was back in october when Dr. Hanau told me that she expected pretty much the same thing to happen with the waitlist this year as well. But that was a long time ago, so I am sure things might have changed.

Personally I think they will be more careful about over accepting this year, because it would look really stupid to over accept again, but that is what she said to me.

everybody knows they had to be more careful = bigger waitlist. sorry guys & gals. 255 is their accredited enrollment. that's how taking more than that hurts.

(opinion) i think the accreditation tolerates a few percent over, but last year's 280 was over 10% over. i think it's based on facilities and faculty 1st and 2nd years and clerkships/attendings available for 3rd and 4th years. and deviating from that number = loss of accreditation.

obviously, the admissions models they followed in the past failed them last year. so, it's understandable that they are being more cautious this year. who knows what what happened last year? less people getting into their top schools? more people choosing drexel? both? we'll never know...just know that medschool applications became a more difficult game with so many qualified new and re-applicants and so few spots. (/opinion)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed early december and was waitlisted by the end of february. I have a hard time believing what some others have said about having several hundred applicants on the waitlist with no expectations for it to move. I can see how there may be maybe 100 on the list, but several hundred just doesn't seem reasonable. Of course, some on the list have taken acceptances at other places - but by now they would have notified drexel of their intent to matriculate elsewhere. There is no reason for a school to waitlist people if there was no chance of them getting in. With last year in mind, it's likely drexel is under enrolled, and therefore we will see some movement on the list. I hope for all of our sakes, that we get lucky this year. Otherwise, see everyone next round.

I interviewed early december and was waitlisted by the end of february. I have a hard time believing what some others have said about having several hundred applicants on the waitlist with no expectations for it to move. I can see how there may be maybe 100 on the list, but several hundred just doesn't seem reasonable. Of course, some on the list have taken acceptances at other places - but by now they would have notified drexel of their intent to matriculate elsewhere. There is no reason for a school to waitlist people if there was no chance of them getting in. With last year in mind, it's likely drexel is under enrolled, and therefore we will see some movement on the list. I hope for all of our sakes, that we get lucky this year. Otherwise, see everyone next round.

i don't think this is true.. i've met w ppl in the admissions office saying that drexel tends to waitlist most applicants after interviewing instead of flat-out rejecting them, even with the knowledge that most of the ppl on the waitlist will never receive an acceptance. consider that there were 1400+ interviews last year for a class of 281, with nobody accepted from the waitlist.. if there are about the same number of interviews this year for a class of 255, there are going to be lots and lots of waitlists, i don't think they are going to accept ~300 and then reject 1000 ppl to have 100 on the waitlist.

i don't think this is true.. i've met w ppl in the admissions office saying that drexel tends to waitlist most applicants after interviewing instead of flat-out rejecting them, even with the knowledge that most of the ppl on the waitlist will never receive an acceptance. consider that there were 1400+ interviews last year for a class of 281, with nobody accepted from the waitlist.. if there are about the same number of interviews this year for a class of 255, there are going to be lots and lots of waitlists, i don't think they are going to accept ~300 and then reject 1000 ppl to have 100 on the waitlist.

Then why does Drexel send out rejections at all? Why not simply put everyone on the waitlist to minimize the clerical work required (i.e. only two types of letters instead of three?) Maybe you are right, but it doesn't seem like a very economical way of running a school. Furthermore, why would any medical school toy with applicants like that? A waitlist may mean that some individuals hold off on pursuing other serious interests while they wait to hear back only to find out that, come August, they should have gone ahead and done something else. Personally, it just doesn't seem like a great way of doing things.

Then why does Drexel send out rejections at all? Why not simply put everyone on the waitlist to minimize the clerical work required (i.e. only two types of letters instead of three?) Maybe you are right, but it doesn't seem like a very economical way of running a school. Furthermore, why would any medical school toy with applicants like that? A waitlist may mean that some individuals hold off on pursuing other serious interests while they wait to hear back only to find out that, come August, they should have gone ahead and done something else. Personally, it just doesn't seem like a great way of doing things.

you're definitely right, it does seem like they're toying with applicants, but i'm sure their intention isn't to be cruel, which is why they probably reject the relatively few ppl that they absolutely know they do not want. there is a huge gray area of applicants that they're iffy on, most of whom they're probably waitlisting. however, being on a waitlist anywhere should definitely not mean that you hold off on pursuing other serious interests- if they're that serious, don't be on the waitlist. as somebody was saying earlier in the thread, you have to continue to live your life expecting a rejection (although not to the extent where if you were accepted, you couldn't go).. like i'm shelling out money to retake the mcat and open up a 2009 amcas app, if i don't get in. sucks.

you're definitely right, it does seem like they're toying with applicants, but i'm sure their intention isn't to be cruel, which is why they probably reject the relatively few ppl that they absolutely know they do not want. there is a huge gray area of applicants that they're iffy on, most of whom they're probably waitlisting. however, being on a waitlist anywhere should definitely not mean that you hold off on pursuing other serious interests- if they're that serious, don't be on the waitlist. as somebody was saying earlier in the thread, you have to continue to live your life expecting a rejection (although not to the extent where if you were accepted, you couldn't go).. like i'm shelling out money to retake the mcat and open up a 2009 amcas app, if i don't get in. sucks.

unfortunately your situation is not ideal. i was in your shoes a couple of years back, and am now an MS-I. the only thing i can suggest to you (which will be more for your own sanity than anything else) is to live as though you will not be admitted to medical school this year. fill out the 2009 amcas, pursue other interests for the time being, and find programs/jobs that you are interested in for at least this upcoming year. if you are not interested in applying to med school again, then just move on. it's a very difficult situation to be in, but if you are determined to be a doctor, then you will have to try, try, try again.

best of luck.

Withdrew today...OOS/white/male.

Good luck to everyone, hope my seat goes to someone who really wants it!:thumbup::thumbup::luck::luck:

Withdrew today...OOS/white/male.

Good luck to everyone, hope my seat goes to someone who really wants it!:thumbup::thumbup::luck::luck:

did you withdraw from the waitlist or were you accepted? i thought ppl who were accepted had until may 15..

may 15 if you want your money back

just called the office inquiring about status of the waitlist and all...and theres roughly 275 on the waitlist, which hasnt moved as of yet, but might starting in the end of june...just thought i'd put that out there...goodluck!

Members don't see this ad :)
just called the office inquiring about status of the waitlist and all...and theres roughly 275 on the waitlist, which hasnt moved as of yet, but might starting in the end of june...just thought i'd put that out there...goodluck!

the END of June?! what in the world is taking them so long!

275....So basically if they filled their entire class with wait-listers, still about 25 people wouldn't get in. I hope I'm not on the bottom of that list. Good luck guys, I'll be right here grinding it out along side you all.

the waitlist is moving! templemed2012 said he/she got off the drexel waitlist in the official 2008 waitlist movement thread. he/she received notfication through snail mail (which i still think is silly, by the way). it was postmarked june 1st.

:luck::luck::luck:

the waitlist is moving! templemed2012 said he/she got off the drexel waitlist in the official 2008 waitlist movement thread. he/she received notfication through snail mail (which i still think is silly, by the way). it was postmarked june 1st.

:luck::luck::luck:

YES!!! finally! congrats to templemed2012 :thumbup:

hm, it doesn't really make sense that the letter was postmarked on june 1st...that's a sunday.

weird. i guess i'm not sure if i believe the list is really moving or not. why would the admissions office say the end of june?

hm, it doesn't really make sense that the letter was postmarked on june 1st...that's a sunday.

weird. i guess i'm not sure if i believe the list is really moving or not. why would the admissions office say the end of june?

that's my fault i meant to say i received the letter yesterday .. didn't look at when it was postmarked. I miswrote that and will edit it to avoid confusion

sweet, thanks. sorry for my paranoia. this whole process has made me crazy :oops:

when were you waitlisted, if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
also, if you dont mind me asking, what were your stats and/or experiences like? id like to get an idea of what it takes to be high up on the waitlist (which i assume you were, judging by how early you found out). anyway, congratulations. interesting that you picked drexel over temple. any particular reason?

What an emotional roller-coaster with this thread.

Agreed with the roller coaster notion, 275 is a ton of waitlisted applicants. I'm curious as to how everyone here felt their interviews went. Personally, I came out of it feeling confident and was completely surprised when I wasn't accepted. Of course, I'm not claiming to be a perfect candidate (I'm not even sure there IS such a person) but I do feel that I would have been an excellent addition to the Drexel student body. Anyone else with thoughts?

that's not a ton on the waitlist if you think about their situation. they cannot go over. simple as that...so, qualified applicants went on the waitlist. sounds like people are getting in elsewhere though, so there might be some movement this year....cross yer fingers.

Agreed with the roller coaster notion, 275 is a ton of waitlisted applicants. I'm curious as to how everyone here felt their interviews went. Personally, I came out of it feeling confident and was completely surprised when I wasn't accepted. Of course, I'm not claiming to be a perfect candidate (I'm not even sure there IS such a person) but I do feel that I would have been an excellent addition to the Drexel student body. Anyone else with thoughts?

Hi there.

Unfortunately, as other posters have indicated, there are often too many qualified applicants and not enough spaces at any given medical school. Therefore, many such applicants are often put on the waitlist (especially if their interview is toward the end of the interview season), simply because there is not enough room. I cannot say whether admission to all schools follows a similar pattern, but it is nonetheless something that needs to be considered.

Additionally, without having seen your application, I cannot determine if there are any weaknesses. Individual weaknesses alone are not enough to deny admission to an otherwise qualified applicant. Such weaknesses include, but are not limited to: poor performance in one or more core courses, poor MCAT scores, lack of exposure to the profession, etc, etc.

I apologize for the somewhat dry, "unfriendly" nature of this e-mail, but unfortunately it is how the process works. Otherwise, I hope that you find my explanation somewhat helpful.

Last edited:
I called the admissions office today and asked them to confirm the waitlist movement because Templemed2012 got off the waitlist, but I was told that the waitlist hasn't moved yet. I'm confused...did anyone else call and ask? They told me they expected it to move in the next 2 weeks.

got the same response as you

:confused: :( I figure that I must be in some bizarre category - I interviewed in late February and really loved the program. And now I wait and wait and wait. No admission; no rejection; no waitlist. Just academic oblivion. When I call, which I do every week or two, I'm told "there hasn't been a final decision on your application yet." I figure that means there is some decision, just not "final" but that becomes absurd. Any one else still under Committee Review for over 3 months? Or is this a special category, just for me???? Good luck to everyone and enjoy. :scared: :eek:

:confused: :( I figure that I must be in some bizarre category - I interviewed in late February and really loved the program. And now I wait and wait and wait. No admission; no rejection; no waitlist. Just academic oblivion. When I call, which I do every week or two, I'm told "there hasn't been a final decision on your application yet." I figure that means there is some decision, just not "final" but that becomes absurd. Any one else still under Committee Review for over 3 months? Or is this a special category, just for me???? Good luck to everyone and enjoy. :scared: :eek:

any news? my roommate is also still waiting for his decision. i would assume that you would hear something though before the waitlist starts moving..
any other waitlisters hear anything?

does anyone know if the drexel waitlist has started to move?

Begged for a fax - not able to accommodate even though I leave for my backup school this week. I guess I will learn what a "final Decision" finally means. Anxiety !!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

does anyone know if the drexel waitlist has started to move?

someone just posted on the "drexel acceptances?" thread saying that they received a faxed acceptance today, and i know that there are other ppl out there still waiting for their decision to arrive.. so as long as they're still handing out acceptances, i don't think that the waitlist is gonna move.

yeah i don't think the waitlist has begun to move. i just hope it does...

Begged for a fax - not able to accommodate even though I leave for my backup school this week. I guess I will learn what a "final Decision" finally means. Anxiety !!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

did you get your decision yet mother? i'm assuming you're one of the last ppl still waiting to hear back, post-interview..

nobody on the waitlist has heard anything? this is starting to sound a lot like last year's situation..
bump

Last edited:
not that anybody seems to be monitoring this thread anymore, but for those interested, i met w kelli kennedy today, director of admissions.. she says the waitlist has still not yet moved for anybody, and it might later in the summer. so i would interpret that as july at the earliest, if at all..

july?! the wait continues...

Hey guys, just to let you know. I withdrew today because I was accepted off waitlist at my first choice, so another spot is opening up. good luck all!

Did anyone hear back from Drexel recently??? Anyone get off the waitlist yet? This wait is painful..

is anyone calling drexel... does that help you think?

sigh... how is everyone taking this? Have you guys all just given up?

sigh... how is everyone taking this? Have you guys all just given up?

Signed up for the MCATs and submitted AMCAS. Realized that I would rather be surprised by an acceptance letter than not prepared in the end.

Do you guys think they are just going to wait until they have a set number of open spots and just send out letters all together? Drexel doesn't seem like the type of school to get one decline and then call the next person on the waitlist. I really hope it moves this year....

disqfish was told by the assistant dean that the waitlist was expected to move this year. She said the end of june...so probably any day now. Im just trying to be as patient as possible.

Signed up for the MCATs and submitted AMCAS. Realized that I would rather be surprised by an acceptance letter than not prepared in the end.

Do you guys think they are just going to wait until they have a set number of open spots and just send out letters all together? Drexel doesn't seem like the type of school to get one decline and then call the next person on the waitlist. I really hope it moves this year....

I'm with mistrygirl here. I sent in my AMCAS and have started a full time position at a television company. While getting an acceptance letter of the waitlist would be excellent, I can't realistically expect it to happen and be ok with just waiting around. I'm hoping that everything I've done since my last AMCAS application will make me much stronger candidate, and my hard work will pay off this time around. In addition though, as I get the feeling that US Medical schools are ALL getting extremely competitive just on the basis of the limited spaces, I am gearing up to applying to foreign medical schools in UK, Ireland, and Australia as well as the Caribbean. Last time I applied and I though that schools like Penn State, Michigan State, U of Vermont would be my back ups...I didn't even get interviews there... So I gotta take these things seriously, even though I feel that I am competitive for these schools.

Seriously, guys, best of luck to you all. I realize we are all kind of competing here, but this process is tough and tedious. I really hope you all get in somewhere, and are able to pursue your goals...

i think we're all realizing now drexel's strategy to avoid over-enrollment. They must be working more slowly on purpose so that they don't offer too many acceptances. I feel that constant letters of intent and updates will STILL help you here, because if their waitlist moves, it will move late in the season. At that point, they may be interested more in people who have submitted letters of intent than people who didn't so they don't have to worry about post-acceptance withdrawals. good luck to everyone.

just talked to the director of admissions again today, the waitlist still isn't moving. like i said before, it's not gonna move until later in july, if at all..