2008-2009 Mount Sinai Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I created a login just so I could reply to you. I really agree - and this is a big generalization, but it just seems to be such a mindset of this generation that we're all unique and blah blah blah.

Not everybody has to be special - thats a great answer.

And I bet it works!

I just hope my approach doesn't backfire.

I like their secondary better than the generic "Tell us about yourself..." questions because they're being clear about what they want to hear. They don't want us to just list off our resumes in paragraph form. They want to know why they should pick your application out of the pile of other academically capable applicants. If you don't think you're "special," why should MSSM?

I talked about the fact that every person is the culmination of their unique experiences, and that no two are alike. So in a sense we are all special? Or none of us are? Valid point though, I can't lose sight of the fact that I want them to pick me over the next guy

Special, unique, diverse, whatever. I'm sure you can come up with something that makes you seem like you're not just another face in the crowd.

:love:MSSM!

Hopefully my essay was unique?

dude, I think you are missing the point, or over-analyzing. I think your humility is great, but misplaced. The question isn't asking you what makes you superior to others (your stats, recs, and so on are supposed to implicitly do that). It wants to know what you can contribute to a medical school class, so that not everybody in the class is more or less the exact same person. Maybe you are from a different country which gives you a different perspective, or you are really into a hobby (let's say, i dunno, woodworking), which you could share with your classmates. It's not saying how are you special as much as it's asking how are you different/unique, which I don't think is an immodest thing to discuss.

I see your point. I think I might be getting a little jaded after writing so many essays. Maybe I'm just missing the point or over-analyzing, for some reason the word special just seemed (to me at least) to carry some connotation of superiority rather than simply how am I different.

All good feedback, and hopefully I can rework my essay to make it stronger. I could talk about cars for an hour but I don't know if they would really consider that adding to the Mount Sinai Community.
Maybe I'll just go for the safe route and talk about my foreign culture :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

I think maybe a question, or questions like:

1. Do you think a medical class needs to be comprised of special/unique people?

2. Do you consider yourself to be special? If so, how?

3. Does a doctor need to be special in any way?

maybe something like that would have brought some more interesting responses. At the very least, I just dont think we all need to assume we're special. The second question would have been a good substitute I think.

But then maybe you wouldnt have been able to cut and paste your answer :)

Soo....how do you know when you're complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sent an email asking if it was a concern. Will post if I get a response.

As for the location...
great community for studying medicine. UES + Harlem = diversity
Plus the anatomy lab overlooks Central Park, and the Guggenheim Pavilion is filled with natural light.

what is UES? i'm surprised this thread isn't more active!

what is UES? i'm surprised this thread isn't more active!

UES = Upper East Side

I'm surprised also. Have people not heard anything yet?

does anyone know if med students at MSSM are able to complete an mph as well? i know they offer it but i can't find anything on the website about a dual degree or even potential to take classes.

thanks!

I'm surprised also. Have people not heard anything yet?

I got an interview invite last week. I think that people are posting on the interview threads and not always on the individual school threads.

I got an interview invite last week. I think that people are posting on the interview threads and not always on the individual school threads.

D'oh. Naturally. Guess I try not to read the interview threads since I'm not complete yet and that will just make me more anxious. :oops:

Congrats on your interview. :)

can we do the stats in here though?? :D

Do they really want us to mail in our LORs? They won't take virtual evals??
(Thanks in advance)

they accepted virtual evals for me

does anyone know if med students at MSSM are able to complete an mph as well? i know they offer it but i can't find anything on the website about a dual degree or even potential to take classes.

thanks!

hey, i'm an M1 at mssm and there are quite a few people here taking mph classes at the same time as the regular courses. there's also the MD/PhD program as well. i hear it's very do-able.

also, they took online LORs last year, i don't know if that's changed...

:luck::luck: guys! feel free to PM me if you have any q's

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm reasonably certain they take Virtual Evals

Do they really want us to mail in our LORs? They won't take virtual evals??
(Thanks in advance)

No, they are listed as participating in Virtual Evals.

hey, i'm an M1 at mssm and there are quite a few people here taking mph classes at the same time as the regular courses. there's also the MD/PhD program as well. i hear it's very do-able.

also, they took online LORs last year, i don't know if that's changed...

:luck::luck: guys! feel free to PM me if you have any q's

do you know anything about how to apply to the MPH program? is it at time of secondary or during MS1? i just can't find that much information on the MSSM website

Does anyone know what this question is supposed to be about:
"Were there any circumstances which you feel might have adversely affected your academic performace during college?"

I talked about adverse situations on my AMCAS under the 'disadvantaged' section, do they want me to restate the same thing here?

just wondering what other people put... Thanks!

Hi guys

did anyone complete around August 8 and got an invite already, I havent heard anything

Hi guys

did anyone complete around August 8 and got an invite already, I havent heard anything

Yes: Complete 8/19, Interview Invite 9/4, Interview 10/6

Has anyone received an invite with an MCAT below 35? It seems like everyone with an invite thus far has an outrageous MCAT...

My app was Completed on 8/8! I have not heard anything yet and yes my score is v=8, ps=13, bs=11 M :confused:

I guess I will not hear from them at all since everyone these days are getting 40s on their MCAT !!!! Since when did 32 became an avg score !!!!!!

I hate it when applicants that were complete after me gets an invite right away and we just sit there hoping to get their pitty So unfair I have worked equally hard.

They dont even give us a clue as whats going on, on hold or in the process of being reviewed first time or what

For all the $$$ spent they should at least have the courtesy to inform us where we stand

Well according to MSAR the average acceptance for that school is 35. Just like yourself i'm sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping for that interview invite.

Has anyone received an invite with an MCAT below 35? It seems like everyone with an invite thus far has an outrageous MCAT...
Yeah, I heard Sinai likes to snatch those ones up early, but in the end, plenty of people at the lower end of 33-36 do end up getting accepted (mostly off the waitlist). That's what it looks like from MDApps at least.

Well, I'm in the < 35 category and I got an interview invite over a month ago, so I don't think that you guys should lose hope so soon!

Berken best of luck to you!

Represent us (>35's) well

I got an interview there and I was curious as to why they would possibly want to invite me, so I've been looking at people's profiles if they have been accepted/got an interview there and I noticed that they really seem to like people who got a really high verbal score on their mcat. It seems like a high mcat will make up for a low gpa. I can't IMAGINE any other reason they'd give me an interview....

I got an interview there and I was curious as to why they would possibly want to invite me, so I've been looking at people's profiles if they have been accepted/got an interview there and I noticed that they really seem to like people who got a really high verbal score on their mcat. It seems like a high mcat will make up for a low gpa. I can't IMAGINE any other reason they'd give me an interview....

Yup, that certainly seems to be the case for me....

Yup, that certainly seems to be the case for me....
My verbal score SUCKS! haha now I'm starting to question why they invited me :p Ohh well, it doesn't really matter.

My GPA sucks more than both of yours combined (but then, you don't know me, so it doesn't matter). I'll just stop procrastinating and go back to work now

The ones with less then 35 do u guys fall into URM?

my v= 8 so :confused:

how long is the usuall wait after completion? 8/8 still nothing

do you know anything about how to apply to the MPH program? is it at time of secondary or during MS1? i just can't find that much information on the MSSM website

hm, I believe you apply at the time of the secondary as other M1s are already enrolled when they come here. it's a great question to ask at the interview - mssm loves to see that you are truly interested in the school and community.

"Students who are applying for a dual M.D.-M.P.H. degree need not fill out an additional application for the M.P.H. Program here; however, dual degree applicants should contact the Admissions Office to alert them of their interest in applying for the dual M.D.-M.P.H. program. A copy of the medical school application will be forwarded to the M.P.H. Program for our records"

have you looked here?
http://www.mountsinai.org/Education/School of Medicine/Degrees and Programs/MPH Program/How to Apply

https://sap.mssm.edu/mphadmissions/...c23a93bf7-8D7B4794-1321-B1ED-931D8DADFA9BA602

this isn't to say that you can't apply as a regular MD candidate and then decide to do an MPH later. :)

If you look in the FAQ in their "Humanities/Medicine" early admission program, they actually state that the SAT critical reading score is very important to them because they have seen reading comp correlate highly w/ USMLE scores.

Still, I think that my 29Q leaves me as a snowballs chance in hell there, despite the 11V.

hm, I believe you apply at the time of the secondary as other M1s are already enrolled when they come here. it's a great question to ask at the interview - mssm loves to see that you are truly interested in the school and community.

"Students who are applying for a dual M.D.-M.P.H. degree need not fill out an additional application for the M.P.H. Program here; however, dual degree applicants should contact the Admissions Office to alert them of their interest in applying for the dual M.D.-M.P.H. program. A copy of the medical school application will be forwarded to the M.P.H. Program for our records"

have you looked here?
http://www.mountsinai.org/Education/School of Medicine/Degrees and Programs/MPH Program/How to Apply

https://sap.mssm.edu/mphadmissions/...c23a93bf7-8D7B4794-1321-B1ED-931D8DADFA9BA602

this isn't to say that you can't apply as a regular MD candidate and then decide to do an MPH later. :)

thanks!! I emailed them, I think that 2nd link is just for MPH applicants not dual applicants :)

Haha guys, this school has the nicest admissions office ever. What...she picked on up on the 2nd ring...what...she was actually nice and helpful...what...my application is probably marked complete but I should call on Weds or next Mon to confirm? AMAZING!! A REAL HUMAN INTERACTION!! :D

What is the exact correlation btween strong verbal score and strong USMLE score? I cant imagine struggling in another ****ty exam

how about the correlation on taking some candidates with NOT so steller scores, why the risks there?

ALL of you who got an invite had strong verbal score?

:rolleyes: first they wnat good mcat score now they want strong verbal score maybe they should try taking teh exam themselves :smuggrin:

I thought the national avg was 8

Whats the avg now a 10?

Every year it gets tougher

Jgberken

when was ur app completed?

If I am taking a year off to work between graduation and medical school, would this be considered a gap?

Whoops. posted in the wrong thread.

I suggest calling.

Last edited:
submitted 8/24, letter for interview 9/25, interview on 10/24!!!!!!

Soooooo excited, especially because of below average MCAT score :p

submitted 8/24, letter for interview 9/25, interview on 10/24!!!!!!

Soooooo excited, especially because of below average MCAT score :p

Do you mind sharing them? Give us an idea of if we have a chance at an interview?

i know that this is highly variable but for those who have gotten interview invites, typically how long did it take for you to get those invites?? i have been complete since mid-july. sinai is one of my choices and i am slowly losing hope. :(

i am losing hope with the other 3 nyc schools.. i feel your pain..

crap. this thread has me really worried. i love this school. at least we can find comfort in the fact that their MATRICULATING avgs are a 3.6 and 33.8

Status
Not open for further replies.