2020-2021 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waitlisted as well

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Damn ... also, does Icahn just WL everyone who isn't accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
They are probably waiting till after 4/30 to avoid overfilling
For sure I agree. Maybe that's why they said we can hear back from them between now and May for deferred students, which suggests that there may be more active WL motion

For sure I agree. Maybe that's why they said we can hear back from them between now and May for deferred students, which suggests that there may be more active WL motion
so were there people who were previously deferred who didn't hear back today? or did anyone get deferred today?

As of now, it seems like everyone who didn't get an A got the WL - that would be one big WL

Reactions: 1 users
Quick question for those who were accepted: is there a deposit we have to pay? Also, did anyone have issues saving their SSN? Thanks!

Quick question for those who were accepted: is there a deposit we have to pay? Also, did anyone have issues saving their SSN? Thanks!
No deposit required.
Your SSN saves the first time you enter it. It’s saved internally even though it doesn’t appear to

Have they sent any post-interview Rs this cycle, or is the waitlist literally 800 people long?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have they sent any post-interview Rs this cycle, or is the waitlist literally 800 people long?
During my interview they said they send post II Rs as well. People prob just choose not to post about it

"Waitlist movement throughout the summer"... a bunch of schools let WL people know on May 1 after the commitment deadline. Does that mean Sinai will keep us on the hook for longer?
WL movement at most schools is a rolling process that begins around May 1 (no guarantees) and continues through the summer. It’s usually a trickle as opposed to a decision for everyone at once.

WL on Friday. Interviewed 10/7 and received the “deferred” email in Jan. I’ll be declining the WL but good luck to everyone else!!

• Wow
Anyone know if/where Icahn released this year's match list yet?

During my interview they said they send post II Rs as well. People prob just choose not to post about it
True, but not a single person has reported receiving a post-interview rejection here. Agree that it's less common for people to post about them, but usually at least some people are brave enough to share. Skimming last year's thread, looks the same. Just makes me wonder if they do really reject many people post-interview.

Last edited:
What are the chances for WT --> A, in general? A from this school would make so many of my life aspects and decisions sooo much less complicated. :(

Reactions: 3 users
I want to write a letter of intent but I’m wondering if it’s too early after being waitlisted. How long does someone typically wait before one sends a letter?

I want to write a letter of intent but I’m wondering if it’s too early after being waitlisted. How long does someone typically wait before one sends a letter?
After a WL, I think the earlier, the better actually

See attached!
thanks, appreciate it! Also, I was wondering about something in general for these match lists: Do they include students who have done gap years? For example, let's say a student entered med school in 2017, but decided to take a year off to do something else - would they be included in next year's match list, even though they were technically with the class of 2021?

Can someone explain the Enhanced Scholarship Initiative (ESI) to me? Does this apply to everyone who applies for financial aid, or only those who meet a certain level of need?

Can someone explain the Enhanced Scholarship Initiative (ESI) to me? Does this apply to everyone who applies for financial aid, or only those who meet a certain level of need?
Yes. It’s based on need. So the goal is that after EFC, your total loans for 4yrs wouldn’t exceed $75k.

The amount of ESI you’ll be given = Cost of attendance (Tuition, fees, Living Expenses) - Expected Family Contribution(EFC) - $18,750 base loan.

where should i send my letter of intent to? thanks so much for the help!

should i just email admissions?

Quick question: do MSSM students actually rotate at the main campus hospital? all the online clerkship descriptions are for satellite sites. Thanks!

When should we expect any waitlist movement?

When should we expect any waitlist movement?
Based on previous years, seems like after May 1. But there's been relatively few acceptances so far this year, so maybe we could see something a bit sooner perhaps.

Does anyone know the waitlist procedure for this school? How long will the school give to make a decision if taken off the waitlist? I know other schools have different deadlines for when you were taken off the waitlist.

Are there any current students (or even admitted students who went to second look) who could share any thoughts on the curriculum at Sinai? Seems it’s a pretty old school preclinical curriculum that’s two years long and is not organ- or systems-based.

Is anyone still waiting for financial aid from Icahn? The 4/30 deadline is rapidly approaching and I'm so nervous about trying to make a decision before knowing what the money's like 😬

Is anyone still waiting for financial aid from Icahn? The 4/30 deadline is rapidly approaching and I'm so nervous about trying to make a decision before knowing what the money's like 😬
Yes, same here. What's taking so long

• Sad
Based on previous years, seems like after May 1. But there's been relatively few acceptances so far this year, so maybe we could see something a bit sooner perhaps.
waiting anxiously on this. Mt sinai is my number one school

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know there've been relatively few acceptances so far here?

Last edited:
If you don't mind me asking, how do you know there's been relatively few acceptances so far here?
This is by no means an exact science, but when you compare the relative numbers of posts of acceptance in previous years' Sinai threads to this one (neuroticism lol), there is a marked difference, although i'm not sure it's significant enough

Also, even if this isn't the case, I do think there's been a phenomenon this year in which due to the fact that interviews are over Zoom, more "superstar" applicants (who would prob end up at T 7) have been accepting interview offers from a wider spread of schools in the T 10 - 30 ish range than they would in a normal year where travel makes it hard to go to all interviews; hence, more WL for those a cut below until April 30 since these star applicants get dibs

Anywho, I could be totally wrong, but I've just been trying to make sense of the wackiness of this cycle lol

This is by no means an exact science, but when you compare the relative numbers of posts of acceptance in previous years' Sinai threads to this one (neuroticism lol), there is a marked difference, although i'm not sure it's significant enough

Also, even if this isn't the case, I do think there's been a phenomenon this year in which due to the fact that interviews are over Zoom, more "superstar" applicants (who would prob end up at T 7) have been accepting interview offers from a wider spread of schools in the T 10 - 30 ish range than they would in a normal year where travel makes it hard to go to all interviews; hence, more WL for those a cut below until April 30 since these star applicants get dibs

Anywho, I could be totally wrong, but I've just been trying to make sense of the wackiness of this cycle lol
This makes sense to me and is what I am hoping as well since this school is my top choice

Also there seem to be fewer students in the accepted student facebook group than years past. Currently there are only 149 people in the whole group which seems lower than in previous years. but of course this is just a prediction and something that helps me keep some hope alive for getting into Icahn.

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist, manifesting some good news for us in May :)

Reactions: 2 users
This silence of the thread scares me.... Good luck to all of us on WL!!!! and the ones deciding today!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Anybody else getting absolutely spammed by the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences? 😅

Did you subscribe to them, or did you just randomly start getting spammed by them recently?
I just randomly started getting them a couple of weeks ago.

I also work at mount sinai though so it could be related to that

What are your guys’ thoughts on WL movement? Are we optimistic or...
It seems they maintain a long WL, and no one reported receiving a rejection post-interview, so I would say the odds are not high. This year may be different, but none of us really knows.