2008-2009 Mount Sinai Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when should they begin to appear?

If I remember correctly, they said it'd be the first/second week of November. Acceptances and waitlists will be by email, and rejections by snail mail.

Members don't see this ad.

what do you guys think sinai is looking for? my gpa is way above thier avg, but my mcat is like a point below. the ppl who interviewed, did you guys feel they were all about the numbers, or more about the personality. i interviewed there about 3 weeks ago, and i got the feeling theyre very, very focused on community service and really want to attract students with that mindset. or in the end, is it really just about the numbers??

...all this speculation will most definitely drive me crazy...

its hard to tell. i interviewed last week, and they made me believe that they are seeking people with the similar "mindset" of mount sinai, i.e. activism in medicine, research and community outreach. i stayed with someone working on the admissions committee and interviewed with a student, and they kept on saying that they work to seek kids with that "mount sinai" mentality. I LOVED SINAI and hope i get my yes next week!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I LOVED SINAI and hope i get my yes next week!!!

did they say theyre meeting next week? i interviewed a few weeks ago, and they werent sure when they were going to make decisions

no idea man, im just hoping it comes next week so i dont have to drive to any more interviews and can relax before college bball starts (GO GREEN!!)

when i interviewed, they said we wouldnt hear until around nov 17

I'm still anxiously hoping for an interview from Mount Sinai. does it usually take them over a month to make a decision.

I'm still anxiously hoping for an interview from Mount Sinai. does it usually take them over a month to make a decision.

I got one about a month and a half after completion, so it can take a while.

I just called the office, they still haven't had the first committee meeting. ugh

they didn't mention when it would be?

nope, but I think I remember them saying that they have the meetings on tuesdays or wednesdays. So hopefully tomorrow or wednesday. Good luck to everyone who would fall into this round!

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted. Okay, I can understand Pitt waitlisting me because of my bad interview, but I really thought that my interview here went okay. Maybe I should just give up. This is so depressing. :(

Waitlisted. Okay, I can understand Pitt waitlisting me because of my bad interview, but I really thought that my interview here went okay. Maybe I should just give up. This is so depressing. :(
Hey, it's ok. I got WL too. Who needs Sinai when you got into an Ivy? (Shallow I know, but whatever makes you feel better.)

Congrats to all those accepted! :thumbup:

Hey, it's ok. I got WL too. Who needs Sinai when you got into an Ivy? (Shallow I know, but whatever makes you feel better.)

Congrats to all those accepted! :thumbup:

Oh Wow, serikk, I think Berk jinxed you by saying that you have a 100% post acceptance rate... Wow... :eek::p

I got one about a month and a half after completion, so it can take a while.

I've also been waiting for almost a month now, so I guess I shouldn't bother to call :/

Oh Wow, serikk, I think Berk jinxed you by saying that you have a 100% post acceptance rate... Wow... :eek::p
Ha. I knew that would happen too. I actually kinda figured I wouldn't get into Sinai. I knew my streak was too good to last, plus my Sinai interviewers were pretty chilly towards me. I never thought they were that into me.

Does anyone know if they made decisions today on people who interviewed the last week of october?

To all the WLed peoples: I hear Sinai gets most of its class off of the WL, so just hold on, and send updates. Good luck! :luck:
Any tips for the interview would also be appreciated: I have the interview on the 12/15:p

Ha. I knew that would happen too. I actually kinda figured I wouldn't get into Sinai. I knew my streak was too good to last, plus my Sinai interviewers were pretty chilly towards me. I never thought they were that into me.
NOOOOOO!!! Not serikk! You're supposed to be perfect :(

Oh well, you have pitt, dartmouth AND vandy.

I am very sorry to have let you down :cry:

Waitlisted :(

I'm so disappointed, so far it's my top choice, but of course it is a positive thing. I've also heard most people get off the waitlist, so hang on my compatriots of application purgatory. Just hate having to extend my wait so much longer. When do you think would be an appropriate time to send a LOI? Should I address it to Dr. Muller? Congrats to everyone accepted! Despite this slight, I love you Mount Sinai!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Waitlisted :(

I'm so disappointed, so far it's my top choice, but of course it is a positive thing. I've also heard most people get off the waitlist, so hang on my compatriots of application purgatory. Just hate having to extend my wait so much longer. When do you think would be an appropriate time to send a LOI? Should I address it to Dr. Muller? Congrats to everyone accepted! Despite this slight, I love you Mount Sinai!!!!!!!!!!:love:

me too! I was wondering, what kind of updates should we send? I've gotten grades since the AMCAS, should I send an official transcript? And what is an LOI? Man, that email was so disappointing!! Does anyone know when they start taking people off the wait list? Is it just a continual process? Okay, lots of questions, I just love Mount Sinai too...

Sorry, by LOI I actually meant letter of intent, but on thinking about it I can't say I would turn down all other schools, so I guess I've answered my own question. As for a letter of interest, I basically sent this to both my interviewers in the thank you letters, saying what a great fit I think Sinai is for me etc, but should I send one to the dean as well?

I've also heard most people get off the waitlist,

Is that really?
But aren't most people who didn't get accepted put on the alternate list?
I don't really know how it works, but I hope that's true (waitlisted as well today)

I was so excited to read the email and the first words of the email were,
"We are pleased to inform you that.."
I was screaming and then I read some more
"you are placed on the Alternate list.."

From the posts from last year, it seems like the waitlisted applicants are ranked.
Better send in those letters.
Maybe they'll help you move up on the list.

Haven't interviewed yet but just out of curiosity...

what kind of updates would college students have in the LOI? not everyone wins awards all the time lol

if no email, safe to assume we've been rejected? the lady said she was sending emails to acceptances and waitlists, but not rejections
:(

if no email, safe to assume we've been rejected? the lady said she was sending emails to acceptances and waitlists, but not rejections
:(
When was your interview?

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. my dream school, especially since i had a bad mcat score. Who else is gonna be going here in august?

Is that really?
But aren't most people who didn't get accepted put on the alternate list?
I don't really know how it works, but I hope that's true (waitlisted as well today)

I don't know how it normally works, but last year at least, comparatively very few people got off the waitlist at Sinai, though it seems like they normally have decent movement. If they do take people off the list, it would probably be after May 15, which is when the waitlist started moving last year and in previous years (at least according to past SDN threads).

I was curious if early interview folks who are placed on the waitlist might be ranked higher, or looked at sooner than people interviewed later in the cycle? Does anyone know if this is the case?

Accepted! I really hope that its not a mistake. They cant reverse their decision once they have sent the acceptance email even if they did so mistakenly ... right?

I interviewed oct 27, do you think my decision has been made or that it will be made at the next meeting?

they said yesterday (nov 11) that today they are meeting (12th)...

has anyone had luck with an 'in the area' email?

Congrats to all who have been accepted/interviewed. Can you please tell me the amount of time in between when you were complete and when you were notified about your interview?

complete 8/24, interview invitation 9/24, interview 10/24, accepted 11/11 on my mom's birthday!

I've got the same question :) Thanks all! Oh and congrats to all the people who got accepted this week :) :D

has anyone had luck with an 'in the area' email?

I did. I sent them an "in the area" email and received an interview invite like, 3 hours later. I don't know if they were going to interview me regardless, but the timing was definitely encouraging.

Congrats to all who have been accepted/interviewed. Can you please tell me the amount of time in between when you were complete and when you were notified about your interview?

Well, there is no REAL way to know when you're complete (since you have to call and ask), but I found out I was complete on 7/16, sent an "in the area email" on 8/13 and received an invite on the same day. :luck::luck::luck:!

Thanks guys. Seems like it's about a month in between a complete application and interview invite. About a week to go for me before that month hits... gulp.

I did. I sent them an "in the area" email and received an interview invite like, 3 hours later. I don't know if they were going to interview me regardless, but the timing was definitely encouraging.

thanks LET! congrats for your acceptance man, i hope that i get an interview at sinai def one of my top choices :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.