2022-2023 Mt. Sinai (Icahn)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks to @xxxyyyzzzaaabbbccc for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Mt. Sinai (Icahn) Secondary Essay Prompts: (3 and 4 are required)

1. If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)

2. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (150 words)

3. What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it? (250 words)

4. Describe a situation that you have thought to be unfair or unjust, whether towards yourself or towards others. How did you address the situation, if at all? (200 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received just now
@wysdoc

Prompts:

If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (150 words)

What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it? (250 words)

Describe a situation that you have thought to be unfair or unjust, whether towards yourself or towards others. How did you address the situation, if at all? (200 words)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS secondary received as well.

@wysdoc

There's one more written-response question embedded in the secondary; comes after #1 but before #2:

Were there any adverse circumstances in your premedical preparatory journey including but not limited to impact from COVID-19? If yes, please explain. (100 words)

Reactions: 1 user
If we submit before all of our letters are in (one is still being written/sent) will they receive that letter one it is sent to amcas?

If we submit before all of our letters are in (one is still being written/sent) will they receive that letter one it is sent to amcas?
Yes, once AMCAS receives it, they will send it to whichever schools you assign that letter to, even if you've already submitted your secondary.

Anyone's letters not marked as received yet, even after having them marked as "received" on the secondary application?

Anyone's letters not marked as received yet, even after having them marked as "received" on the secondary application?
My letters have been received by AMCAS but on the Icahn secondary portal they say "not received". I have noticed with a few schools it usually takes a day or two for it to update in the system to reflect being received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reapplicant here. For the response to whether I have applied to medical school before, should I explain anything beyond the application cycle that I applied during? There is space for 100 words, so I wasn't sure if I should be adding anything else such as I have improved as an applicant. Thanks in advance for your help!

Reapplicant here. For the response to whether I have applied to medical school before, should I explain anything beyond the application cycle that I applied during? There is space for 100 words, so I wasn't sure if I should be adding anything else such as I have improved as an applicant. Thanks in advance for your help!

Also a reapplicant. I think so? I’m taking it as a reapplicant essay, describing what I have done and stuff.

Can someone help with a stupid question - when it says “describe the activities you are participating in this academic year,” does that mean the 2021-2022 year or 2022-2023 year?

Does anyone have info on the new curriculum that'll be rolling out in 2024?

It will be a 18-12-18 month curriculum, but IDK what that means. Is it like 1.5 years preclinical, 1 year clinical, 1.5 years M4 stuff?

For everyone else who applied to Flexmed and didn't get it, how are you interpreting "Have you previously applied to the MD or MD/PhD Program at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (including an Early Assurance Program)? If you answered "Yes" to any of the above please elaborate, including the year(s) applied."? Just the year? Extra reflection of how it motivated you to be better and whatnot?

Can someone help with a stupid question - when it says “describe the activities you are participating in this academic year,” does that mean the 2021-2022 year or 2022-2023 year?
I always assume this means 2022-2023. So if you are taking a gap year, describe what you're doing in it. 2021-2022 activities would already be included on your primary.

I’m struggling to incorporate a “why Icahn?” into one of my essays due to the low word limits :( is this a dealbreaker since there’s no specific prompt for it?

Last edited:
If I have applied to Flexmed but not through AMCAS, do I need to select "yes" to the have you applied here before question on AMCAS?

If I have applied to Flexmed but not through AMCAS, do I need to select "yes" to the have you applied here before question on AMCAS?
I would think so:
Have you previously applied to the MD or MD/PhD Program at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (including an Early Assurance Program)? If you answered "Yes" to any of the above please elaborate, including the year(s) applied

am i at a disadvantage if I don't submit secondary app until next week? received 6/26 and reach school for me

How are people approaching this question?

Describe a situation that you have thought to be unfair or unjust, whether towards yourself or towards others. How did you address the situation, if at all? (200 words)

and also, how are we supposed to incorporate why Icahn in these low word count limits?

I’m struggling to incorporate a “why Icahn?” into one of my essays due to the low word limits :( is this a dealbreaker since there’s no specific prompt for it?
I don't see why that'd be a dealbreaker. If they really wanted a "why us" essay, they would have included it.

when do the interviews start being released?

when do the interviews start being released?
Looks like according to the 21-22 Icahn specific thread, interviews started being sent out as early as August 6.
According to the MSAR Interview Procedures, Icahn just says it starts interviews in August.

Hello and good luck everyone! For the prompts about the toughest feedback ive ever received and a time I saw something unjust happen, do you all think they have to be experiences from my time in undergrad or can they be from high school too?

My primary app was verified 7/12 and I still haven’t received a secondary. Does Icahn screen and is this normal? If not, should I email them?

My primary app was verified 7/12 and I still haven’t received a secondary. Does Icahn screen and is this normal? If not, should I email them?
I submitted (after being verified) late Thursday night and got the secondary email a couple hours later, so I would assume they only have an auto-screen for GPA/MCAT if anything

I have heard before that Sinai has a big emphasis on Ivy League/other prestigious undergrads when selecting their final class. Coming from a Texas state school (i.e. not Rice), is it worth extending a primary and secondary over to them if my stats are otherwise good - or would that be a waste of money? Also does anybody know anything about their scholarship policies?

Do we know the typical II timeline? I assume no one has recieved anything yet.

Do we know the typical II timeline? I assume no one has recieved anything yet.
For MD, based on previous years, looks like they send out II later this week. No idea how many spots are open given their acceleration program that many take advantage of during undergrad (genius move...no need to take MCAT and no need to live through an application cycle). Good luck everyone!

Hey y’all! Third year here. I was checking sdn generally and thought I’d drop in. Interviews are starting later September. Good luck to you all

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Hopefully we can see some II tomorrow or next week

Reactions: 4 users
MSAR says IIs start in August, I am literally begging to see movement today

MSAR says IIs start in August, I am literally begging to see movement today
bro post notifications like this literally makes my bowels leak.

don't post unless yall actually get an II or somthn 😭

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
II OOS ORM LM 81.7 Complete 7/7

Reactions: 8 users
II, OOS complete 6/26