2008-2009 Vermont Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UVAbme2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.med.uvm.edu/admissions/TB...SiteAreaID=613

You have to wait for an email to be able to access the application.

LOR requirements: Committee if you have one. Otherwise two science and one non-science. A fourth letter is optional. DO NOT send more than four.

The only essay is any additional information you'd like to add. It's optional.

Other than that, you fill out some information on course work you took that fulfills their requirements.

Members don't see this ad.

Note about the optional additional information: the text doesn't appear when you go to the verification stage, but I called and was told they will be able to see it.

Just to be sure, on the "criminal convictions" section they DO want traffic infractions??? I mean, those arent criminal by a long shot, but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
This was a really quick one. Char limit on the optional info was 1000.

Note about the optional additional information: the text doesn't appear when you go to the verification stage, but I called and was told they will be able to see it.

Weird, I was able to see mine on the verification screen.

Just to be sure, on the "criminal convictions" section they DO want traffic infractions??? I mean, those arent criminal by a long shot, but whatever.

Click on the question mark next to the question for more info on the specifics.

Click on the question mark next to the question for more info on the specifics.

I did, and I think that they do want traffic infractions also, so I listed my down and clicked "yes" for convictions.....I just wanted to see if this is what other people were doing

Weird, I was able to see mine on the verification screen.
Well they either corrected it and the guy lied to me, or they corrected it and mine went through. I think I'll go ahead and ask.

I just checked the page, and it actually shows up now.

Last edited:
The residency info is weird....why do they want to know the population of every town/city you've lived in!?

The residency info is weird....why do they want to know the population of every town/city you've lived in!?

I agree, very intersting....esp. since I am a military brat so I've lived in some wierd places overseas and most of my stays were less than 3 years long.

So can someone please tell me whether or not you included all of your traffic infractions and clicked "yes" for criminal convictions??

The criminal convictions thing is bs. If your offense is not criminal, they cannot force to you to put it down under a heading of a criminal offense.

I have an underage which in my state is only a civil offense and goes on your traffic record. I don't feel that it is right for me to check yes to being convicted of a criminal offense when I have never been convicted of a criminal offense. Moreover, there is no way I am going to go through the effort of somehow getting the ticket documentation and sending it to them...

Crap - I didn't do the "optional" information because I thought it was referring to the question asked right before it (can't remember what the question was). I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. Not like I was going to get in there anyway... :rolleyes:

The criminal convictions thing is bs. If your offense is not criminal, they cannot force to you to put it down under a heading of a criminal offense.

I have an underage which in my state is only a civil offense and goes on your traffic record. I don't feel that it is right for me to check yes to being convicted of a criminal offense when I have never been convicted of a criminal offense. Moreover, there is no way I am going to go through the effort of somehow getting the ticket documentation and sending it to them...

Shoot, I have a traffic violation and I didn't report it since other schools exclude this. Bad idea? Should I email them?

Crap - I didn't do the "optional" information because I thought it was referring to the question asked right before it (can't remember what the question was). I hope that doesn't hurt my chances. Not like I was going to get in there anyway... :rolleyes:

isn't the optional information just for if you need to clarify anything about the classes that fulfill their requirements?

To be honest, the county clerk of courts told me that because they ask for criminal convictions, I am in the complete legal right to answer no to this question. If they want civil infranctions, etc. they must state that directly on the application. I am not putting down my underage drinking here. I feel that is totally wrong and I would be answering a question incorrectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
This secondary gave me trouble too, so I emailed admissions and they said that traffic infractions SHOULD be listed. The only thing that you don't have to list is PARKING tickets, so in other words, if its a moving violation, you have to list it. Also, you only have to provide documentation if there are 3 or more infractions in the past 2 years.

RockyDoc- I wasn't a military brat, but my parents were drug dealers (no, I'm not joking), so we moved around a lot too. Because of that, my whole past residency history didn't fit in their box, so they let me lump them by county until my life stabilized when I was a teenager. I don't know if this will help you or not, maybe you could lump by foreign country...Just a thought!

Hm... i got a speeding ticket, but I argued my way out of it in court. I dont have the conviction right?

Hm... i got a speeding ticket, but I argued my way out of it in court. I dont have the conviction right?

If you didn't have to pay, it doesn't count.

RockyDoc- I wasn't a military brat, but my parents were drug dealers (no, I'm not joking), so we moved around a lot too. Because of that, my whole past residency history didn't fit in their box, so they let me lump them by county until my life stabilized when I was a teenager. I don't know if this will help you or not, maybe you could lump by foreign country...Just a thought!

Daaaaaaaaaaaayum, you couldn't fit it in the 675 char they gave you? I thought mine was bad with 21 entries.

I assumed the point behind the residency question was to determine your rural/underserved exposure, especially since they are somewhat unusual in that they emphasize rural medicine.

If you argued the points down, but still paid the fine then you effectively plead "guilty" and you were "convicted" of a traffic infraction...

the only way you would not be "convicted" is if you actually appeared before a judge and the charge was dropped (and you didnt have to pay a fine either)

Daaaaaaaaaaaayum, you couldn't fit it in the 675 char they gave you? I thought mine was bad with 21 entries.

I assumed the point behind the residency question was to determine your rural/underserved exposure, especially since they are somewhat unusual in that they emphasize rural medicine.

Lets put it this way...13 schools by the time I graduated from high school, and that was after my parents were making an effort not move so much so as not to "interrupt our education".

Lets put it this way...13 schools by the time I graduated from high school, and that was after my parents were making an effort not move so much so as not to "interrupt our education".

So was your dad in the mafia and then he ratted out his superiors for a deal and then was put into witness protection but the mafia kept getting on your trail so you had to keep moving. but then finally your dad had one last showdown with the mob boss to end it once and for all in a blaze of glory and now you can settle down???? sounds like a good sec essay topic to me

If you argued the points down, but still paid the fine then you effectively plead "guilty" and you were "convicted" of a traffic infraction...

the only way you would not be "convicted" is if you actually appeared before a judge and the charge was dropped (and you didnt have to pay a fine either)

okay, thanks. i had the charges dropped

---

so i'm curious, what's the likelihood that someone not from a rural background and not from vermont has a chance at this school? seems like anyone oos has to be from a similar background to those in vermont...

We are chaos buddies! You win by a few though, I had 9 schools myself. Nice of your parents to keep it to just 13 though. :p At one point in college I told my mom that I felt that moving to a different state/country every year had made for a difficult childhood at times :rolleyes:, and her response was to tell me that she'd seen an interview with Tom Hanks in which he'd said that his experience as an army brat had been great because of all the varied experiences.

:eyebrow:

Oh. Well then.

That's what I thought so I left it blank. I'm sure it'll be fine - there's nothing wrong or weird about my academic record so it'll just have to speak for itself.

i really hope not putting anything down in your personal comments section doesnt hurt you....i NEVER put anything down.

some people use it to explain stuff....which i understand....but i dont need to explain much

some people use it to write about how they want to go to the school or whats special about the school.....i havnt done this.

my thinking is, i paid the primary fee, wrote your damn essays, and am paying the secdonary fee....havn't i showed my interest already?

so, i'm glad i found this thread b/c I was one of the first to be able to access the secondary, but when i did, there two questions about how you heard about UVM and why you decided to apply didn't have drop-down menus. must have been a glitch. i thought they were essays and i had been procrastinating drafting them. geesh. :rolleyes:

I can't believe they care about speeding tickets. Why?

So was your dad in the mafia and then he ratted out his superiors for a deal and then was put into witness protection but the mafia kept getting on your trail so you had to keep moving. but then finally your dad had one last showdown with the mob boss to end it once and for all in a blaze of glory and now you can settle down???? sounds like a good sec essay topic to me

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nothing quite that glamorous! No, we just kept moving because the cops were getting too nosy, or we got evicted because of complaints of constant traffic to our house at all hours (and I do mean ALL hours...), or our house had been raided a few too many times...

Breeak- They tried to make it 14, but by that time I was in high school and I took a stand! We had only moved across town that time, but technically I was supposed to go to a different school, but I flat refused! My dad said "Fine, then you have to find your own way to school." So I did. I rode my bike 7 miles each way, every day for three years...:D

Oooh, you're supposed to write why your interested in UVM in the optional field?

Oooh, you're supposed to write why your interested in UVM in the optional field?

I didnt, all I did was explain that I dont have a pre-med committee letter and was sending them in individually......

Are there others, like me, who haven't got the email? I wish I did today, it would make the pain of going through surgery easier to bare

I left it blank. I thought it was for clarifying issues/concerns with your coursework. If they would have wanted your reasons for applying to UVM, they would have specifically asked for it in another essay question.

By the way, does anyone else find it weird that the abbreviation for University of Vermont is UVM and not UVT?

By the way, does anyone else find it weird that the abbreviation for University of Vermont is UVM and not UVT?

I thought about that, but I think I figured it out. You know how most medical schools have a whole network of hospitals and clinics that they're associated with? I think that UVM is for University of Vermont Medicine (or Medical), which would encompass the whole infrastructure. For example, in Washington state, the network associated with UWSOM is called University of Washington Medicine.

It's a possibility anyway...

I thought about that, but I think I figured it out. You know how most medical schools have a whole network of hospitals and clinics that they're associated with? I think that UVM is for University of Vermont Medicine (or Medical), which would encompass the whole infrastructure. For example, in Washington state, the network associated with UWSOM is called University of Washington Medicine.

It's a possibility anyway...

No, the undergrad is UVM as well. I never could figure out why!

It is a possibility, but the affiliated hospitals are Fletcher Allen Health Care and Maine Medical Center.

Maybe if I get an interview there I'll ask them this question. :smuggrin:

Actually I've heard that they ask you that question during the interview. :)

It is a possibility, but the affiliated hospitals are Fletcher Allen Health Care and Maine Medical Center.

Maybe if I get an interview there I'll ask them this question. :smuggrin:

I found it! On the main UVM website, on the About UVM page, then the History and Traditions tab:

The initials UVM stand for the Latin words Universitas Viridis Montis, or University of the Green Mountains. The phrase appears on the university's official seal as Universitas V. Montis.

I found it! On the main UVM website, on the About UVM page, then the History and Traditions tab:

The initials UVM stand for the Latin words Universitas Viridis Montis, or University of the Green Mountains. The phrase appears on the university's official seal as Universitas V. Montis.

:eek:Wow, props to you for finding the answer! I knew there had to be a logical explanation (other than a syllabic abbreviation, i.e. University of VerMont).

Anyone else NOT get the secondary email?

I have not yet received it. My AMCAS was only submitted like June 21st, and completed a little bit after, so I am sure it will show up soon...*hopes* B/c i absolutely love no required essay
applications :).

can neone tell me the address of where to send the LORs cuz i can't find them... thanks!

can neone tell me the address of where to send the LORs cuz i can't find them... thanks!

If you're using Interfolio just start the sending process and type "verm" into the search field, it will pop up.

The University of Vermont
College of Medicine
Office of Admissions
Given Bldg E 215
89 Beaumont Avenue
Burlington, VT 05405

I submitted the secondary and sent LORs through Interfolio yesterday, and I'm complete today. Nice turn around over there.

Good to know.

Last edited:
ignore this bump. im doing administrative things

ignore this bump. im doing administrative things

my PI asked me if the application process seemed intense, and I showed him the above post. He laughed for the next six hours.

Anyone else have this message on their status page?

University of Vermont said:
Dear chad5871:

Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Our interview season runs from September through April and you will be contacted via email if you have been selected to interview.

I'm guessing that's a good thing? I added this school at the last minute, and I would be ecstatic to get an interview... I'm going to check out last year's thread and see if they say anything about this.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently it means nothing... Basically it's a generic message that everyone gets if they're not rejected after turning in their secondary materials.

I have the same thing chad. At least it's not a rejection. I wonder when they will start extending invites.

Anyone else have this message on their status page?

I'm guessing that's a good thing? I added this school at the last minute, and I would be ecstatic to get an interview... I'm going to check out last year's thread and see if they say anything about this.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently it means nothing... Basically it's a generic message that everyone gets if they're not rejected after turning in their secondary materials.

Did you guys' say this before that message:

Dear tianac2:

We have received all application materials that you have submitted. Your file is under preliminary review. The review of your file may take several (6-8) weeks.

Once the review is complete your status will be updated and you will be notified via the Online Applicant Center.

Please continue to check your status periodically through the Online Applicant Center. We appreciate your patience!

I have the same thing chad. At least it's not a rejection. I wonder when they will start extending invites.

When did you guys submit your secondaries/ when were you complete?

Status
Not open for further replies.