2008-2009 Vermont Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone received another magical email or call??? I'm still waiting and trying to be patient. I want to go to UVM SSSSOOOOOOOOOoooo bad.

Any updates would help so let me know if anyone has heard anything!!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted last night via email from the OOS waitlist!!!:D 1st acceptance after 3 long years applying!

...and now my girlfriend is going to kill me, hahaha.

I withdrew last week from the waitlist. I will certainly miss Vermont... as excited as I am about moving back to city life. Best of luck to everyone else who is still waiting-- this is a great program. If anyone has any questions about housing or Burlington, let me know. I've been living here for over three years, and have been working at the COM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted last night via email from the OOS waitlist!!!:D 1st acceptance after 3 long years applying!

Hey, congratulations and welcome to the class!

Wow, congrats!! Sounds like you really deserve it :):)

let's improvise haikus to pass the time

here i wait, vermont
green mountains, how i miss thee
phone rang, was that you?

let's improvise haikus to pass the time

here i wait, vermont
green mountains, how i miss thee
phone rang, was that you?

You should send that to the admissions office--I bet they would love it!

Just before I got in, I was brainstorming about what I could say in my next few LOIs, since I'd pretty much said everything already. I decided to take a humorous approach and send them quotes from famous poems that made reference to waiting, such as Milton's "They also serve who only stand and wait," and perhaps even, "Do not ask for whom the waitlist moves. It moves for thee."

Don't know whether this would have worked, though, since I never got to use it. :)

Good luck to you and everyone still waiting ...

You should send that to the admissions office--I bet they would love it!

Just before I got in, I was brainstorming about what I could say in my next few LOIs, since I'd pretty much said everything already. I decided to take a humorous approach and send them quotes from famous poems that made reference to waiting, such as Milton's "They also serve who only stand and wait," and perhaps even, "Do not ask for whom the waitlist moves. It moves for thee."

Don't know whether this would have worked, though, since I never got to use it. :)

Good luck to you and everyone still waiting ...

HAHAH ya I am seriously considering it... I just don't know how I'd introduce it.

I haven't called or emailed UVM in two weeks.

Any signs of movement?

For all those on the waitlist... its moving! Sorry I didn't add this earlier... Letter of interest sent May 21. Accepted May 28 :soexcited:

I wish the admissions office would tell us at least what percentile of the waitlist we're in. If they told me I was in the bottom quintile of the waitlist, I'd start planning my fall semester at my second choice where I'm in the top 1/4.

I think its pretty fair to just let us know if we have a good chance or bad chance of getting in, especially for those of us who will be planning our housing from 3000 miles away

I wish the admissions office would tell us at least what percentile of the waitlist we're in. If they told me I was in the bottom quintile of the waitlist, I'd start planning my fall semester at my second choice where I'm in the top 1/4.

I think its pretty fair to just let us know if we have a good chance or bad chance of getting in, especially for those of us who will be planning our housing from 3000 miles away

Does anyone know why they aren't allowed to tell you where you stand on a waitlist? Not just at UVM but other schools too. I'm fairly sure most w/l are all ranked by now and I don't really see what the harm is in telling applicants where they stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know why they aren't allowed to tell you where you stand on a waitlist? Not just at UVM but other schools too. I'm fairly sure most w/l are all ranked by now and I don't really see what the harm is in telling applicants where they stand.

I guess harm is inevitable in giving people false hope. It'd be nothing but helpful for those of us who are hanging out at the bottom of the barrel as some sort of weird insurance policy for UVM in case they somehow lose their entire class mid-summer. But for the people who hear they're in the top ten and start making plans only to find out they should have been writing another AMCAS, I guess there are problems there.

I'm just trying to apply some logic, I think they should at least tell us when we really should be making other plans. And it's not just moving issues, though I did just make travel 1300 miles to make housing plans at the school where I was accepted, but also specifically for UVM: to buy a laptop, or to wait until I get the end of the summer "sorry to keep your hopes up but no" email?

I guess the problem lies in the fact that there's no predicting waitlist movement, so telling someone they are top 20% means nothing if they themselves dont get in. And telling someone that they are the bottom 10% only discourages them if they still have a chance at getting in. The only way to justify the policy is if waitlist position is irrelevant given how unpredictable the process is.

I don't think its irrelevant though, as I'm sure that the top 15% will get in off the waitlist, and the bottom 15% probably wont.

And, if I'm in that bottom 15% I'd like to know, so I can stop dreaming of maple syrup, microbreweries and green mountains.

I guess harm is inevitable in giving people false hope. It'd be nothing but helpful for those of us who are hanging out at the bottom of the barrel as some sort of weird insurance policy for UVM in case they somehow lose their entire class mid-summer. But for the people who hear they're in the top ten and start making plans only to find out they should have been writing another AMCAS, I guess there are problems there.

I'm just trying to apply some logic, I think they should at least tell us when we really should be making other plans. And it's not just moving issues, though I did just make travel 1300 miles to make housing plans at the school where I was accepted, but also specifically for UVM: to buy a laptop, or to wait until I get the end of the summer "sorry to keep your hopes up but no" email?

I feel like if I was the school, I'd tell you where you stand and what has historically happened in the past and that's it. If the applicant builds some false hopes upon some percentage, that's their own problem. Buffalo seemingly has the most transparent admissions office I've dealt with and they were able to tell me what 1/3 I'm in as well as what they believe my chances are. And of course they followed that with "though that's what happened in the past, there's no promises that that is what will happen this year." Frankly, I don't see why they can't go as far as saying I'm 87/200 or whatever. Let me interpret it however I want it. Doesn't really make sense to me that medical schools in general are fairly unsympathetic and impersonal during the entire application process yet when they get all sensitive when it comes to making sure we don't build up false hopes.

I feel like if I was the school, I'd tell you where you stand and what has historically happened in the past and that's it. If the applicant builds some false hopes upon some percentage, that's their own problem. Buffalo seemingly has the most transparent admissions office I've dealt with and they were able to tell me what 1/3 I'm in as well as what they believe my chances are. And of course they followed that with "though that's what happened in the past, there's no promises that that is what will happen this year." Frankly, I don't see why they can't go as far as saying I'm 87/200 or whatever. Let me interpret it however I want it. Doesn't really make sense to me that medical schools in general are fairly unsympathetic and impersonal during the entire application process yet when they get all sensitive when it comes to making sure we don't build up false hopes.

I agree, if we can handle everything that goes into applying to med school, I think we can handle this. I was just saying what I feel like they could be thinking. Having all the data in front of us would be best, but maybe things change as people send in letters and academic/professional updates, etc etc. Who knows.

Ugh I've been nothing but cynical about UVM for weeks now. I want a yes or no so I can move on with my life. Oh Vermont, why don't you love me like I love you?

I agree, if we can handle everything that goes into applying to med school, I think we can handle this. I was just saying what I feel like they could be thinking. Having all the data in front of us would be best, but maybe things change as people send in letters and academic/professional updates, etc etc. Who knows.

Ugh I've been nothing but cynical about UVM for weeks now. I want a yes or no so I can move on with my life. Oh Vermont, why don't you love me like I love you?

Oh yea, what you said was the only thing I could come up with too. Either way, it doesn't make much sense to me. I also wonder if this is an AAMC rule or if it by school...like why some can tell you what portion you are on v. some cannot tell you at all yet none can tell you exactly where you are.

I agree. What about this scenario: Imagine I'm waitlisted at UVM and i'm #2 on the waitlist. Then it wouldn't make much sense for me to re-submit my AMCAS right now, would it?

Or, in my case, I'm somewhere at the top of the waitlist at my second choice. If (or when) i get in, should I fly to that school and lease an apartment, or wait til august because UVM is my top choice. I dont know if I have a 90% chance or a 1% chance of getting in.

More information is better, period.

This is an interesting story:

My friend who is a 2nd year dental student at UIC (now 3rd year i guess) had to reapply after she interviewed there (OOS) and was waitlisted. They told her her position, #3, on the waitlist. And she didn't get in. It happens to be an oos-unfriendly dental school, and that year especially no OOS students withdrew.

Its not really relevant to our situation though, for obvious reasons. Just an interesting anecdote that could justify UVM's policy.

I just was reading through today's posts here and I can't tell you guys how badly I feel for you! I really would have lost my mind by now. It's such a horrible system.

But I did want to share something from my interview at UVM. I'm also coming from the West coast, and I have a family, so I was really trying to press my interviewer for information regarding the waitlist. He was very reluctant to give me anything definitive, obviously, but he did say that if he were in my shoes he would assume that if I hadn't heard anything by July that it probably wasn't going to happen.

Now the big grains of salt to take that with are that this guy was really an abrasive cynic type, and he only told me that "totally off the record" and unofficially or whatever. The other thing is that I have heard anecdotally that UVM has been known to admit people even during the first week of school in the past. Additionally, it is pretty weird that the Facebook group still doesn't have anywhere near a full class size, and a lot of those people are 2nd years looking for roommates. I suspect that there will still be quite a bit of June waitlist movement. If I were you I'd keep those letters/haiku's coming.

So I don't imagine that was terribly helpful, but I know when I was on the waitlist, I was basically going to "call it" if I hadn't heard by the end of June. It just wouldn't have been possible or practical for me beyond that point, and plus I would have gone postal and probably would be locked up in an institution for the criminally insane anyway.
Good luck everyone! :luck::xf:

If I were you I'd keep those letters/haiku's coming.

I would strongly second this advice. I have no more insight into the mysterious workings of UVM's admissions process than anyone else, except for one thing: The school seems unusually responsive to repeated, and fairly frequent, expressions of interest by waitlisters. Take me: my stats are fairly ugly by most people's standards, but I got in after my sixth LOI! I sent an LOI to get an interview, one right after the interview, one after I learned I was on the WL (Feb), and then monthly after that. (In fact, I sent two in May.) I also called them once, and would have done so again had I not been admitted first.

Others who have been admitted, both this year and previously, report similar experiences. So send LOIs, because UVM really does care about them! Given the fact that it's now June, I'd be sending them biweekly rather than monthly, and possibly alternating emails with phone calls. (I.e. call one week, email the next.) Keep it brief, polite and cheerful, but let them know how interested you still are, and WHY. My gut tells me that UVM tries to pick the people who seem like the best fit for the school, and really know why they want to be there.

I think this also may have something to do with their refusal to disclose waitlist positions. Most of the schools that tell you your exact rank on the waitlist have rankings that are set in stone, and will never change for any reason. (Example: someone I know on the nontrad forum was told she was #69 on the Mizzou WL. She did get in, BTW.) No matter how many LOIs you send a school like this, it won't move you up the ranks. But I have a feeling that the UVM waitlist is considerably more dynamic, and much more amenable to the applicant's expressions of enthusiasm for the school, so telling you you're number X might not be very meaningful.

Don't get me wrong: I think UVM's system is much too mysterious, and incredibly hard on the applicant. But the silver lining is that I think you can help yourself quite a bit by showing a lot of interest in the school.

Good luck everyone. :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Hi all, I was accepted via email around noon today. I interviewed in January and was wait-listed in February. For those of you wondering: this is my first acceptance and my top choice. And, yes, I sent innumerable "updates" of all sorts to their admissions office. Best of luck to you all- it is a torturous process.

Hi all, I was accepted via email around noon today. I interviewed in January and was wait-listed in February. For those of you wondering: this is my first acceptance and my top choice. And, yes, I sent innumerable "updates" of all sorts to their admissions office. Best of luck to you all- it is a torturous process.

Congratulations, that's awesome!

I'm really glad to hear it's still moving. Hang in there everyone, I have a feeling there's still going to be a bunch of June movement!!!

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm also from NYC, and I was even interviewed and WL'd in the same months you were. (Coincidence or Conspiracy?? :eek:)

Seriously, I get the impression that there are TONS of transplanted New Yorkers at the school, both in the student body and the faculty. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
I just relinquished my acceptance...
Good luck everyone!

llolz the facebook group for class of 2013 at uvm has 90+ members... Not a good sign

Count on 10 being upperclassmen, another 10 that might change to a different school but joined the group to seek housemates.

I notice that 4 people have dropped out of the Facebook group in the last few days. (The membership was up to 98 at one point, but now it's 94.) I don't know if that's a sign of movement, or just a clue that the class isn't as full as it appeared to be, but I'd take that as a positive data point.

So...ummm, anyone wanna be my roomate? I am a really nice guy :cool: PM me.

I officially withdrew today :(. Good luck guys. Hope one of you gets my spot.

The fin aid letter I received from UVM says that I can borrow $36k in unsubsidized Stafford loans. How is that possible? I thought the limit is $32k. They also give me $8.5k in subsidized. Anyone get the same thing? I called them, they aren't sure how it is possible but said that the computer allowed it and it wouldn't allow if it wasn't possible.

The fin aid letter I received from UVM says that I can borrow $36k in unsubsidized Stafford loans. How is that possible? I thought the limit is $32k. They also give me $8.5k in subsidized. Anyone get the same thing? I called them, they aren't sure how it is possible but said that the computer allowed it and it wouldn't allow if it wasn't possible.

Hey there! I am also able to borrow 36/8.5. Where are you getting the limit of 32K from? Also, have you decided on a lender? Anyone else have any thoughts on which to choose?

Hey there! I am also able to borrow 36/8.5. Where are you getting the limit of 32K from? Also, have you decided on a lender? Anyone else have any thoughts on which to choose?

32k for unsubsidized is the government limit. The Stafford loans are controlled by the govt. The govt set the limit at $8.5k for subsidized and $32k for unsubsidized. I have no idea how Vermont says you can borrow $36k. I haven't talked to a bank about this yet.

Discover seems to be a good bank. They don't have an origination fee and no default fee. www.discoverstudentloans.com

Do you guys think they messed up and we're really going to end up only getting 32K? That would suck!

Also, any out of state students get a scholarship? Not me. Just wondering.

Last edited:
Guys, I got accepted this morning and will certainly be attending. I've been calling plan Bs all day to deliver the news.

I'm pretty ecstatic, keep them hopes up peeps!

Congrats Bombas! Can't wait to meet you!

I looked over the discussion on "Discover," but for federal loans, don't we have to choose between VSAC, Citibank, and NHHELCO? Or do you just select "other" on the page to accept/decline financial aid offers? Thanks for all the advice!

Congrats Bombas! Can't wait to meet you!

I looked over the discussion on "Discover," but for federal loans, don't we have to choose between VSAC, Citibank, and NHHELCO? Or do you just select "other" on the page to accept/decline financial aid offers? Thanks for all the advice!

All I did was select "other", and when student financial services emailed the next day to ask who was my lender, I replied Discover.

All I did was select "other", and when student financial services emailed the next day to ask who was my lender, I replied Discover.

Oh ok! And then you just get in touch with Discover yourself?

I am OOS and got 71K in loans, Stafford Sub/Unsub + Graduate Plus. I chose VSAC (or something similar, forgot) as my lender....was this a wise decision?

Status
Not open for further replies.