2022-2023 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still crossing my fingers and toes

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Saw my WL email while on a bus in a rural area of a different country but didn’t accept my spot on the waitlist until just now because I just got back to a place with good service and I’m

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Should we just assume we’re getting no aid then?
I would assume that. I got accepted last week (not from the waitlist) and received my financial aid package yesterday. My package consisted of $96K in loans.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I would assume that. I got accepted last week (not from the waitlist) and received my financial aid package yesterday. My package consisted of $96K in loans.
im still waiting for mine...worried :(

U can reach out and ask for extension on decision deadline if waiting on fin aid info. Should be getting it in next few days

A earlier today! I was put on the WL on 5/8 & interviewed early November :)

Does scholarships and financial info come with acceptance emails usually or are they sent separately afterwards?

Reactions: 4 users
Do we still have any IS people sweating out here?

Members don't see this ad :)
Tempted to post our conversation here, as it was quite odd. Let me know if anyone would be interested... Also assuming they deleted the account cause they completely dox'd themselves in a previous post.
I'm interested haha

I'm interested haha

i'll pm you, i feel a little weird posting pm's. Even though they only asked to go private so that they could trash talk lol.

Edit: pm me first and I can send it over. There is literally nothing of substance, just a disgruntled student.

Last edited:
Can any *other* current students answer some questions?

^this person just trashed UVM, told me to go somewhere else and then deleted their account
I’m definitely interested to know what they said. Was it about how antisemitism has been extremely high on campus these past few years? Something I’ve heard about and was concerned to hear.

• Wow
i'll pm you, i feel a little weird posting pm's. Even though they only asked to go private so that they could trash talk lol.

Edit: pm me first and I can send it over. There is literally nothing of substance, just a disgruntled student.
If you’d like me to verify said claims, happy to do them. There are reasons to dislike LCOM but outright trashing the school seems a bit out of proportion.

Also happy to answer any questions as a current MS1

I’m definitely interested to know what they said. Was it about how antisemitism has been extremely high on campus these past few years? Something I’ve heard about and was concerned to hear.

This somewhat explains the situation well. Id call those incidents fairly isolated and overall LCOM feels pretty insulated from UVM as a whole, but Id feel uncomfortable speaking for the Jewish community at the school. Overall the system for reporting incidents seems fairly robust and admin as a whole supportive.

If you’d like me to verify said claims, happy to do them. There are reasons to dislike LCOM but outright trashing the school seems a bit out of proportion.

Thanks. Could you just talk about what a regular week looks like? Proportion of TBL/PBL/Lecture. Are classes mandatory? Do most students attend class?

Would definitely appreciate a good objective pros and cons list.

Thanks. Could you just talk about what a regular week looks like? Proportion of TBL/PBL/Lecture. Are classes mandatory? Do most students attend class?
For FoCS (semester long foundations course):
  • Usually non mandatory lectures with majority in problem based learning style throughout the day.
  • Mandatory TBLs on average every other week.
  • Mandatory small group sessions every 3rd or 4th week. About 1-2 per block.
  • Mandatory anatomy lab sorta weekly? Usually 1-2 labs per 3-4 week block with one mandatory peer teaching session.
  • Mandatory PCR which is a weird support group/social medicine type thing weekly. The material isn't tested in any way, but it's still a thing that exists every tues or thursday from 4-5:30 which is a bit annoying.
  • Mandatory clinical skills sessions once per block
All in all if you were to only do mandatories you'd be coming into school probably an average of 1-2 times/week.

After FoCS things become MUCH more cool in terms of amount of classes, but the material is still challenging
  • A&D and NGMI lectures minus some exceptions all done before the afternoon.
  • PCR becomes once every 3 weeks or so
  • Public Health Project becomes a weekly thing
  • TBLs every 3 weeks or so.
  • Small groups every 3 weeks or so.
  • Anatomy goes away

Med neuro
  • Same as above but more classes, and no small groups. There is anatomy lab but no dissection and attendance to it isn't required.
All in all if you were to only do mandatories you'd be coming into school an average of 0-1 times/week

There is some amount of push towards mandatory attendance among faculty. I doubt it will affect things for your first year, but I think it's fair point to mention.

Attendance hovers maybe around 25-40%

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Would definitely appreciate a good objective pros and cons list.
Pros:
True P/F
Fantastic community, pretty easy to find your niche, and I feel like I could reach out to any of my classmates or upper classmen for support.
Pretty solid place to live, especially if you enjoy the outdoors, skiing etc
Not a ton of mandatory attendance.
1.5 year preclinical
Fair curriculum - felt like I could manage to have a very active social life outside of classes
Great clinical experience at least from what I've heard from upperclassmen.

Cons:
Lack of diversity in VT.
Lack of research versus comparable state schools. School is working on addressing this though.
College town vibes, so if you are from a larger coastal city, may not be your ideal thing.
Housing is getting pricier.
Winters can be brutal if you don't ski or don't wanna learn.
OOS tuition is 100% bull****.

Ehhhs:
P/F clinicals. Less pressure, but can be a downside for those that want the "honors" for some more competitive residencies.

Pros:
True P/F
Fantastic community, pretty easy to find your niche, and I feel like I could reach out to any of my classmates or upper classmen for support.
Pretty solid place to live, especially if you enjoy the outdoors, skiing etc
Not a ton of mandatory attendance.
1.5 year preclinical
Fair curriculum - felt like I could manage to have a very active social life outside of classes
Great clinical experience at least from what I've heard from upperclassmen.

Cons:
Lack of diversity in VT.
Lack of research versus comparable state schools. School is working on addressing this though.
College town vibes, so if you are from a larger coastal city, may not be your ideal thing.
Housing is getting pricier.
Winters can be brutal if you don't ski or don't wanna learn.
OOS tuition is 100% bull****.

Ehhhs:
P/F clinicals. Less pressure, but can be a downside for those that want the "honors" for some more competitive residencies.
Thank you. The OOS tuition is definitely the part that hurts me here. But its my favorite school to be accepted to at the moment. Hoping it goes well Y.Y. Thank you again

Just withdrew my A from the CT campus. Hope it goes to one of you!

• Care
have accepted students received their finaid package yet? I was accepted on the 2nd and haven't received anything yet. Should I reach out to the school or are people still waiting? thanks

have accepted students received their finaid package yet? I was accepted on the 2nd and haven't received anything yet. Should I reach out to the school or are people still waiting? thanks
Haven’t gotten mine either!

Hey everyone. Just wondering since lectures are being removed...how do I learn? Do I just view powerpoints? Is there any opportunity to forge relationships with your professors? What about with your peers?

Hey everyone. Just wondering since lectures are being removed...how do I learn? Do I just view powerpoints? Is there any opportunity to forge relationships with your professors? What about with your peers?

What is the lectures being removed part in reference to? I can speak on the rest, but I'm not sure if there was an announcement or curriculum change for the Co2027 I'm not familiar with.

For our class, we have lectures, just less frequent compared to the "active learning sessions" which are primarily Workshops and Problem-Based Learning (PBL), which to be honest are basically the exact same thing. You'll be assigned "pre-work" (typically a powerpoint, video, or word document) for each lesson, which you're expected to learn on your own, then the dedicated class time is spent working through patient cases and doing practice problems. Which leads to the problem our class is having with attendance, since many students believe "If I teach myself and know the content well enough, why bother going to class."

I do think it is difficult to forge relationships with professors here. Most professors only come to the school to teach one or two lessons, then they're gone forever, so it's hard to maintain relationships unless you go extremely out of your way. Peer-wise, its what you make it. If you go to class frequently (at the beginning at least) and have your group, then you're set. Also there are usually plenty of extra-curricular ways to interact with other classmates, such as student-interest groups (SIGs), intramural sports, etc.

Hey everyone, any As today? I'm wondering if they're going to start accepting people every two weeks, it seemed like that was the case this time last year

Just got the A today off the WL!! LM 68 with a 1 yr 3.97 post-bacc. Sent a letter of intent literally last night after missing the waitlist email and not accepting my position on it for 3 weeks, thought it was wraps for sure. There is hope!! Good luck to everyone, rooting for you all heavy :)

Reactions: 10 users
Can any current student speak on the research opportunities here, please? When did you start, how did you reach out to labs, and how are you balancing work/life/studies?

Also am I allowed to do research at a different institution during the summers?

Thank you!

Just got the A today off the WL!! LM 68 with a 1 yr 3.97 post-bacc. Sent a letter of intent literally last night after missing the waitlist email and not accepting my position on it for 3 weeks, thought it was wraps for sure. There is hope!! Good luck to everyone, rooting for you all heavy :)
Congrats!! OOS?

Declined my A yesterday, good luck everyone!

Reactions: 5 users
Can any current student speak on the research opportunities here, please? When did you start, how did you reach out to labs, and how are you balancing work/life/studies?

Also am I allowed to do research at a different institution during the summers?

Thank you!
Research I'd say could be stronger but the folks that are interested in the more competitive specialties have had no problems finding mentorship. Quite a few do research in other institutions through year and over the summer. Relative proximity to Boston helps.

Work life balance is honestly really good here at least through MS1. School is a lot, but have had the opportunity to enjoy VT quite a bit, and my classmates have for the most part had the same experience.

Congrats to those who’ve gotten the A! I’m still on the waitlist and hoping for more movement for the rest of us in the same position!

Reactions: 8 users