2009-2010 University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

MD Only: No essays!

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may submit a supplemental list (maximum two pages)

PRIME-US
Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership
roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved. (limit 500 words)

PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will
be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved
communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions: (250 word limit each)
1) How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life?
2) Please describe your experience working in small groups.
3) What will you bring to PRIME-US?
4) What do you hope to get out of PRIME-US?

JMP PROGRAM:
UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program (MS/MD) combines the resources of two major campuses to
allow more extended, individualized studies with the completion of the Master's thesis involving an in-depth
research project, in addition to the medical degree. The JMP core medical curriculum makes full use of casebased
problem oriented learning in small groups. Please prepare a two-part essay describing the following:
(1) how your specific educational goals would be met by participating in our small group, case-based problem
oriented core curriculum, as well as how you see your participation contributing to the JMP. Elucidate
specific experiences, skills or personal qualities relevant to your making this choice. (2) your specific interest
in the M.S. involving an in-depth research project. Include what topic(s) or area of research you are
considering for thesis work during the three JMP years. We request no more than one page.

MSTP:
pending...

LOR REQUIREMENTS

A minimum of three letters of recommendation, including two letters from your instructors. We prefer that you not
exceed five letters. If your undergraduate school has a premedical committee or its equivalent, a COMMITTEE LETTER
IS REQUIRED. We will accept only one set of letters, regardless of the number of programs for which you are applying.
Please be aware that UCSF is participating in the AMCAS letter service, and as such applicants are required to submit
their letters of recommendation via AMCAS. However, the AMCAS letter service is compatible with VirtualEvals and
Interfolio.
Useful letters are those from instructors of upper division courses who know the applicant well, and from those who can
document evidence of contribution to research or other work related to the delivery of health care. Character references
and recommendations from family friends, relatives, or parents' associates are generally not useful. Letters submitted by
the applicant will not be accepted. YOUR FILE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE UNTIL LETTERS HAVE BEEN
RECEIVED FROM ALL RECOMMENDERS LISTED ON THE STATEMENT OF INTENT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to hosting interviewees :)
I just moved into my new place last weekend and I'm super excited!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Come on now... where are all the UCSF applicants? This thread is pathetically quiet!

This is a pretty random post at this hour, but rest assured... I'm in China so it's not really 5:15 am ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Im applying!!! But I have absolutely no chance, considering they have no secondary essays and I have FAP i just kinda figured what the hell lol. No way they would ever accept me though :(

i would love to come there for med school, but i hear they put a lot of weight on research and my research background sucks

I'm totally waiting for the primary application to be sent to schools and to hear back for secondaries! 6/24 feels far away. UCSF is definitely one of my top choices, if not #1... :)

I am super excited about UCSF! I would be ecstatic if I got an interview. The 24th can't come soon enough. Hopefully I will see some of you on the interview trail :)

One of my top choices as well. But alas, I fear I'm not competitive enough here.:(

Shemarty,

Congratulations on your entry to the 2009 class and it looks like you are quite familiar with UCSF.

How does UCSF treat MD/PhD or MD only applicants? Some people said you have to qualify for MD first before evaluation by the MD/PhD committee, and others have said that applying MD/PhD will reduce your chances to get into the MD only program if you are rejected by MD/PhD committee. What are your thoughts on this, in terms of the advantages or disadvantages of applying MD/PhD to get into UCSF?

I really like this school and want to get into either programs.

anyone know what their take on OOS applicants are? I'm actually wondering about this for all of the UC's, so I think I'll pose this question in those threads as well lol

anyone know what their take on OOS applicants are? I'm actually wondering about this for all of the UC's, so I think I'll pose this question in those threads as well lol

UCLA and UCSF are the most OOS friendly. I wouldnt bother with UCD, or UCI if you are OOS. UCSD is kinda meh, if you want you could apply as OOS.

Shemarty,

Congratulations on your entry to the 2009 class and it looks like you are quite familiar with UCSF.

How does UCSF treat MD/PhD or MD only applicants? Some people said you have to qualify for MD first before evaluation by the MD/PhD committee, and others have said that applying MD/PhD will reduce your chances to get into the MD only program if you are rejected by MD/PhD committee. What are your thoughts on this, in terms of the advantages or disadvantages of applying MD/PhD to get into UCSF?

I really like this school and want to get into either programs.

I don't know much about the MD/PhD program because I applied MD only. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Shemarty, Thanks for your response.

Anyone else knows.....?

Whoo!! Good luck you guys!!!

Im applying!!! But I have absolutely no chance, considering they have no secondary essays and I have FAP i just kinda figured what the hell lol. No way they would ever accept me though :(

Can't have that attitude when you show up for your interview!

i would love to come there for med school, but i hear they put a lot of weight on research and my research background sucks

That's not true - they look for interesting people with interesting experiences. You don't *have* to have a lot of research experience, and I know some of my future classmates don't.

I'm totally waiting for the primary application to be sent to schools and to hear back for secondaries! 6/24 feels far away. UCSF is definitely one of my top choices, if not #1... :)

UCSF's secondary is particularly exciting since it's screened. I think 1500 applicants get a secondary out of about 6000 AMCAS submissions.

I am super excited about UCSF! I would be ecstatic if I got an interview. The 24th can't come soon enough. Hopefully I will see some of you on the interview trail :)

You start to see the same people over and over again on the interview trail / 2nd look weekend, and at the end of the season you'll know a bunch of people who end up at med schools all across the country! Definitely one of the best parts of med school apps - meeting cool people along the way!

One of my top choices as well. But alas, I fear I'm not competitive enough here.:(

Again, you can't have that attitude! Gotta give it a shot!

It'll be soo cool if I got into UCSF. Why you ask? Because my house is a couple blocks away from it!!

Then I'll be living a couple blocks away from you when I get back from China in July!

Elijah05 is right - UCSF and UCLA are two of the most OOS-friendly UCs. I *think* I remember reading/hearing that they accept about 40% OOS and 60% IS, but California residents are more likely to matriculate, so the class ends up being about 80/20. If you're OOS and serious about UCSF, you should definitely apply!

this may be a dumb question, but what does it mean when MSAR says that UCSF "continues [clinical experience] as a longitudinal patient care experience through the Foundation of Patient Care Course"??
does this just mean that clinical experience is introduced early on and is continued along with other courses??

hey shemarty, do you know what the average stats (GPA/MCAT) are for a recent entering class?

UCSF has been my dream school since I decided to go back to school and do my pre-reqs. I'm doing research there, I work in one of their student-run homeless clinics, and I've even sat in on a few of the first year lectures. Up there on the hill, its main hospital dominates half the city and its highly visible presence has been a great motivator. It's an amazing school with a student body to match. It's not going to happen for me but I'd be tickled just to get a secondary!

Elijah05 is right - UCSF and UCLA are two of the most OOS-friendly UCs. I *think* I remember reading/hearing that they accept about 40% OOS and 60% IS, but California residents are more likely to matriculate, so the class ends up being about 80/20. If you're OOS and serious about UCSF, you should definitely apply!

This is very comforting to hear; I will hope for the best!

UCSF is definitely my top choice as well, but I don't have high expectations. It seems like every I've seen that's gotten in is a URM or has stats that put other people to shame.

Come on now... where are all the UCSF applicants? This thread is pathetically quiet!

This is a pretty random post at this hour, but rest assured... I'm in China so it's not really 5:15 am ;)

Wow. You are beautiful, a genius, and funny!! If I get into UCSF I hope to meet you. Sorry, I'm just such a hopeless romantic...and I'm a dreamer ;-):love:

Ok, I also have a legitimate, relevant question. For us non-genius applicants (i.e. 35 MCAT, 3.6), do you know how to best maximize our portfolios during the upcoming gap year? Is there something specific UCSF looks for? I'll be doing biochem research at Caltech this year, but do you have any recommendations for other activities?

does this just mean that clinical experience is introduced early on and is continued along with other courses??

I want to say... "yes" but I don't really have more details. I only know what they told us during interview day / 2nd look weekend, and its all a blur now.

You can actually see the curriculum, and more, on medstudents.ucsf.edu

Course schedules

FOUNDATIONS OF PATIENT CARE - You can click through the calendar week by week... the green rectangles are for foundations of patient care.

hey shemarty, do you know what the average stats (GPA/MCAT) are for a recent entering class?

They didn't tell us, and I'd feel super awkward emailing the admissions office to ask. The class isn't finalized yet, so they probably haven't even calculated this yet. Maybe after orientation, I can ask for you?

It's not going to happen for me but I'd be tickled just to get a secondary!

Fingers crossed!!! :xf:

UCSF is definitely my top choice as well, but I don't have high expectations. It seems like every I've seen that's gotten in is a URM or has stats that put other people to shame.

Not true! I met some really interesting people with cool experiences at 2nd look weekend. It's definitely not all about GPA/MCAT or URM status.

For us non-genius applicants (i.e. 35 MCAT, 3.6), do you know how to best maximize our portfolios during the upcoming gap year? Is there something specific UCSF looks for? I'll be doing biochem research at Caltech this year, but do you have any recommendations for other activities?

I don't know too much about the inner workings of the UCSF admissions office...but with the diversity that you see in every class, there is definitely not "something specific that UCSF looks for" unless you can accept "the ability to contribute to the UCSF student body" as an answer.

Since there's nothing specific that UCSF is looking for, hopefully you're spending your gap year doing the stuff you love. That way, you'll be able to talk about it enthusiastically. Maybe you're doing things that are related to healthcare, which helps to demonstrate your commitment to medicine. Maybe you have a leadership role of some sort, within a club or organization. Maybe you're doing something fun, quirky and unique, because those types of things tend to be attention grabbing, and adds some personality to your application.

Try to have fun and enjoy your year off, because you'll be working really hard again next year! I had a great time during my gap year, and now I'm super excited to start school!

Ok, I also have a legitimate, relevant question. For us non-genius applicants (i.e. 35 MCAT, 3.6), do you know how to best maximize our portfolios during the upcoming gap year? Is there something specific UCSF looks for? I'll be doing biochem research at Caltech this year, but do you have any recommendations for other activities?

Apply to another school besides UCSF :smuggrin:. Seriously though i feel you on that part. IT seems everyone i meet or talk to who gets into ucsf falls into the genious/urm category, of which i am neither :(. I like what shemarty said and i feel that applies to all schools. Theres nothing you can really do on the app that an adcom hasnt seen before. They would rather you do something you love, something that when you talk about it your passion and excitement are easily conveyed about w/e it is that you do. That is more impressive then just doing X activity to pad the resume that you dont care about.

im excited about UCSF only if i dont get screened off and they look past my MCAT score :xf:

I would love to just get a secondary from this school. My #1 for sure. I will just keep thinking positive, you never know what could happen.

I would love to just get a secondary from this school. My #1 for sure. I will just keep thinking positive, you never know what could happen.
same here, you have very strong stats though, unlike me :(...though UCSF does take a wide range of mcats so maybe ill be their token average person for the year haha :)

im excited about UCSF only if i dont get screened off and they look past my MCAT score :xf:

This is one of two schools I'll be most excited about if I get a secondary. Good luck to everybody.

Whoo! More applicants! (I know there are 6000+ of you, but its nice to "meet" some of you on SDN)

Don't dwell on numbers. If you're really interested in UCSF, give it a shot and apply! It's only $30 [$31?] down the drain if you don't get a secondary, and if you *do*get a secondary (as I hope you will!!!), then hooray!

Feel free to post here or PM me if you have questions, but my knowledge is fairly limited right now.

Maybe some of the rising 2nd years will read this thread and help answer questions :)

hey guys -

i'm an out of stater from virginia and am applying to. here's to hoping for a secondary/interview

UCSF's my dream school. One of the few places in the US with great research in ES cell biology/tissue engineering, plus equally good clinical training...all nestled in San Francisco. Definitely first choice, but I'm Out-Of-State and don't by any means have "super-stats", so I'm not really even expecting a secondary application.

For shemarty, how friendly would the adcom committee be to "out" applicants? One of the reasons I really like the thought of living in San Francisco is the openness to alternative sexualities.

I went to the Thursday night (Nightlife) event at California Academy of Sciences last week, and on the way home, swung past UCSF just to take a look since it is right near Golden Gate Park. What a nice campus (on a hill) and location!!!

Still one more week until apps are released to med schools...

I went to the Thursday night (Nightlife) event at California Academy of Sciences last week, and on the way home, swung past UCSF just to take a look since it is right near Golden Gate Park. What a nice campus (on a hill) and location!!!

Still one more week until apps are released to med schools...

The wait is killing me.....i wonder how bad itll be 5 months from now........:scared:

is this one of the schools where people who get interviews are the only ones to get secondaries?

no, they screen for secondaries then choose who to interview from those.

Are you sure? I thought their secondary was just them requesting your LORs or something to that effect. Why would they screen for secondaries and then rescreen for interviews gaining no more information in between?

Are you sure? I thought their secondary was just them requesting your LORs or something to that effect. Why would they screen for secondaries and then rescreen for interviews gaining no more information in between?
im 100% sure. secondaries rarely give much info anyways to be honest. How much can you gain from the question why do you want to go to school X...everyone is writing the same stuff basically and most of it is probably bs. They probably just dont want to waste time reading something that isnt all that useful...if you dont believe me this is from the ucsf som site..

Do all applicants receive secondary applications? Show Answer »No. Approximately 1,500 applicants are approved for secondary applications after initial reviews by the Committee on Admissions. Interviews

How many applicants interview at UCSF? Show Answer »We interview about 500 applicants each year.

They do a pretty through primary screening it seems so if you get one that is a good sign...also why do they ask for more secondaries then they will interview...thats easy MONEY. Why does any school ask for secondaries when they know they will not look at you...its big buisness...think of schools like georgetown, they make about 1.6 mil a year on secondary fees.

im 100% sure. secondaries rarely give much info anyways to be honest. How much can you gain from the question why do you want to go to school X...everyone is writing the same stuff basically and most of it is probably bs. They probably just dont want to waste time reading something that isnt all that useful...if you dont believe me this is from the ucsf som site..

Do all applicants receive secondary applications? Show Answer »No. Approximately 1,500 applicants are approved for secondary applications after initial reviews by the Committee on Admissions. Interviews

How many applicants interview at UCSF? Show Answer »We interview about 500 applicants each year.

They do a pretty through primary screening it seems so if you get one that is a good sign...also why do they ask for more secondaries then they will interview...thats easy MONEY. Why does any school ask for secondaries when they know they will not look at you...its big buisness...think of schools like georgetown, they make about 1.6 mil a year on secondary fees.

wow, so only 1500 applicants get secondaries? and 33% of those get interviews? so if the secondary is simply "send in your LORs," then they must put A LOT of weight on those LORs...

wow, so only 1500 applicants get secondaries? and 33% of those get interviews? so if the secondary is simply "send in your LORs," then they must put A LOT of weight on those LORs...
That or they have a pretty good idea of who they like after primary apps are reviewed and want some more money!! ;)...i do like your idea more though lol

i'm an out of stater from virginia and am applying to. here's to hoping for a secondary/interview
Good luck!!! UCSF seems fairly OOS-friendly :xf:

For shemarty, how friendly would the adcom committee be to "out" applicants? One of the reasons I really like the thought of living in San Francisco is the openness to alternative sexualities.

This is probably a better question for an adcom member, since I don't really know about that aspect of the admissions process.

It probably depends on how you represent yourself on your application / during the interview, and whether it affects your professionalism, etc.

I know of a handful of "out" students at UCSF, and I can't imagine a better place to be than SF.

What a nice campus (on a hill) and location!!!

Walking up that hill everyday :(
Living on a street that lets me take the elevator in the parking structure, thereby avoiding the hill :D

is this one of the schools where people who get interviews are the only ones to get secondaries?

As others have already said:
Out of ~6000 applicants, ~1500 get a secondary (just LORs, no additional essays) and ~500 are interviewed.

I assume they want to see the entire application holistically before offering interviews. I bet its not that out of the 1500 secondaries offered, 500 people had stellar LORs and 1000 people had crappy LORs and thats what made or broke their application.

As others have already said:
Out of ~6000 applicants, ~1500 get a secondary (just LORs, no additional essays) and ~500 are interviewed.

I assume they want to see the entire application holistically before offering interviews. I bet its not that out of the 1500 secondaries offered, 500 people had stellar LORs and 1000 people had crappy LORs and thats what made or broke their application.

Good point, but then I guess those 4500 people who got cut after the primaries were clear rejections. So, those 1500 probably all had very good primaries, and it was the LORs that really made the difference (although I'm sure that they still looked at the app holistically and made decisions based on that)

just wanted to say thanks to ELIJAH05 & SHEMARTY!!!! great responses, thanks!

All this talk and excitement while I am still sweating over submitting my primary applications is making me nervous. I would love to go to UCSF but I am having hard time judging my chances. My GPA and scores are not that great (below 35), but I do have a few years of research experience, and I am pretty sure I will have really good letters if they ever get read. Any thoughts?

Also, does the "disadvantaged" card work in this or any schools in today's world? I'd hate to use it but if I knew for sure it would help I would consider it.

All this talk and excitement while I am still sweating over submitting my primary applications is making me nervous. I would love to go to UCSF but I am having hard time judging my chances. My GPA and scores are not that great (below 35), but I do have a few years of research experience, and I am pretty sure I will have really good letters if they ever get read. Any thoughts?

Also, does the "disadvantaged" card work in this or any schools in today's world? I'd hate to use it but if I knew for sure it would help I would consider it.

It's not like UCSF auto-rejects everybody with an MCAT <35. If you have a lot of other interesting experiences, its worth a shot!

Some secondaries ask you if you came from a disadvantaged background. If you did, then you have every right to check the box.

Sure it can help if its true and doesnt raise the bs meter when reading. If you come from a poor backround blah blah you can bring diversity which is something schools like. Not to mention that typically people who come from these backrounds are more likely to practice in them, another bonus at some schools. But honestly this isnt the im a URM card so dont think its going to make or break you. It can help (probably not a whole lot), but it certainly wont hurt unless you think you are disadvantaged because youre parents are "only" middle class and they bought you a civic instead of a benz for your 1st car. And they dont give you "essentials" like a iphone, new laptop, etc etc..seriously you may think im joking but there are a lot of kids i know who think this......lol

Also UCSF takes a wide range of mcats and gpa if you look at the msar, granted im sure that most of those 29-32 mcats they take are URM but you never know. They are not washu and some numbers ***** so if you are interesting there are other ways to get in like shemarty said.

Last edited:
It's not like UCSF auto-rejects everybody with an MCAT <35. If you have a lot of other interesting experiences, its worth a shot!

Some secondaries ask you if you came from a disadvantaged background. If you did, then you have every right to check the box.

Thanks for the responses, shemarty and Elijah05, I really appreciate it. The text explanation of the background box is what I feel funny filling out, but it's nice to know that UCSF is not a numbers ***** school though.
I am going to try. I think I will have as good of a chance as anyone if I make it into the secondaries pool.

Hey guys, so I'm just now submitting my AMCAS app (hopefully it's not too late!) and was wondering if anyone knows about the letters of rec for UCSF.

Specifically, they say they want 3-5 letters; I have 3 knockout letters of rec. and two letters that are probably fine but maybe only good, not excellent.

Any thoughts about whether I should submit 3, 4, or 5 letters?

Thanks!

Hey guys, so I'm just now submitting my AMCAS app (hopefully it's not too late!) and was wondering if anyone knows about the letters of rec for UCSF.

Specifically, they say they want 3-5 letters; I have 3 knockout letters of rec. and two letters that are probably fine but maybe only good, not excellent.

Any thoughts about whether I should submit 3, 4, or 5 letters?

Thanks!

I don't remember what the requirements are. Submit the bare minimum to meet the requirement + any stellar ones you have. Don't submit any mediocre ones unless you *have* to.

(Like if a school requires a non science letter and you only have one mediocre non science letter, you have no choice but to submit it.)

That's my opinion anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.