2009-2010 University of California - San Francisco (UCSF) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so I'm just now submitting my AMCAS app (hopefully it's not too late!) and was wondering if anyone knows about the letters of rec for UCSF.

Specifically, they say they want 3-5 letters; I have 3 knockout letters of rec. and two letters that are probably fine but maybe only good, not excellent.

Any thoughts about whether I should submit 3, 4, or 5 letters?

Thanks!
I agree with shemarty. If youre 3 great letters meet the reqs the just send those, you can choose which letters to send on amcas. IF you have to submit the other ones to meet a req then its not a huge deal.

Members don't see this ad.

Shemarty,

Congratulations on your entry to the 2009 class and it looks like you are quite familiar with UCSF.

How does UCSF treat MD/PhD or MD only applicants? Some people said you have to qualify for MD first before evaluation by the MD/PhD committee, and others have said that applying MD/PhD will reduce your chances to get into the MD only program if you are rejected by MD/PhD committee. What are your thoughts on this, in terms of the advantages or disadvantages of applying MD/PhD to get into UCSF?

I really like this school and want to get into either programs.

Primary-->MD committee-->secondary-->MSTP council and MD committee-->interview.

The MD committee doesn't really care if you are rejected by the MSTP council, and it's true for both interview and acceptance. However, the MD committee does have veto power over the MSTP decisions (rarely used), so make sure the MD portion of your application is reasonably strong.

I don't remember what the requirements are. Submit the bare minimum to meet the requirement + any stellar ones you have. Don't submit any mediocre ones unless you *have* to.

(Like if a school requires a non science letter and you only have one mediocre non science letter, you have no choice but to submit it.)

That's my opinion anyway.

Ok, I've been wondering about this a bit. How about if we got a publication from a lab? It's not my current lab, but a lab I worked in in the past. Should I submit the letter from that? I've heard that if you got a pub, then you should def submit an LOR from that lab, otherwise it might look weird.

The problem is, my grad student wrote it for me and got it cosigned by the PI. I'm confident this student thinks very highly of me (he's mentored several students after me and has encouraged all of them to build off my project because he thought it was such a good project). However, I don't think he's ever wrote an LOR before, so I don't know if it would be "stellar". No doubt he said good things, but I'm not sure if he's experienced enough to make it sound amazing or anything. So basically, there's a good chance it's a stellar letter, but there's also a chance that it just sounds mediocre. Should I still submit it regardless? I'm not sure what he put in the letter, but I'm hoping he talked about how future students built off my project.

Note: I currently have 2 sci profs and 1 non-sci prof, as well as my current PI's letter. This would just be an additional letter to add to the stack. I have another PI's letter from a lab I worked in over the summer, and while I know he liked me a lot, I am almost confident his LOR is just "good" (<-- I only say this because he wrote the letter the day after I asked him for it; is that a valid assumption to make?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I've been wondering about this a bit. How about if we got a publication from a lab? It's not my current lab, but a lab I worked in in the past. Should I submit the letter from that? I've heard that if you got a pub, then you should def submit an LOR from that lab, otherwise it might look weird.

The problem is, my grad student wrote it for me and got it cosigned by the PI. I'm confident this student thinks very highly of me (he's mentored several students after me and has encouraged all of them to build off my project because he thought it was such a good project). However, I don't think he's ever wrote an LOR before, so I don't know if it would be "stellar". No doubt he said good things, but I'm not sure if he's experienced enough to make it sound amazing or anything. So basically, there's a good chance it's a stellar letter, but there's also a chance that it just sounds mediocre. Should I still submit it regardless? I'm not sure what he put in the letter, but I'm hoping he talked about how future students built off my project.

Note: I currently have 2 sci profs and 1 non-sci prof, as well as my current PI's letter. This would just be an additional letter to add to the stack. I have another PI's letter from a lab I worked in over the summer, and while I know he liked me a lot, I am almost confident his LOR is just "good" (<-- I only say this because he wrote the letter the day after I asked him for it; is that a valid assumption to make?)

If the grad student thinks really highly of you, he probably tried his best to make his letter sound as fantastic as possible. Worst case scenario, it's a good letter. I don't see any reason why you'd hesitate to use it. If you're worried, put it in the bottom of the stack or something.

Regarding your summer PI, I don't think that's a valid assumption. A LOR-writer probably takes no more than 1-2 days to write a letter. Yours happens to be on the ball and did it ASAP. Some people wait till the day before the deadline. It's not like they're mulling over it for months and months, they just decided to put it off. Many profs who have written lots of LORs in the past have a general template that they use, and then they personalize it to each student. It shouldn't take too long to write a solid letter if they know you pretty well and already have a good idea as to what they're going to say when they begin writing. I'm not sure why you're hesitant about this one, either.

Are your premed advisors allowed to see your letters and give you advice about them? If so, go talk to them about it, since the best we can do on SDN is speculate. My advisor read my letters and helped me choose what order I should put them in my packet. Presumably, if any letter sucked, she would have warned me. But the vaaaast majority of letters don't suck. Why would anybody take the time and effort to write a bad letter?

If the grad student thinks really highly of you, he probably tried his best to make his letter sound as fantastic as possible. Worst case scenario, it's a good letter. I don't see any reason why you'd hesitate to use it. If you're worried, put it in the bottom of the stack or something.

Regarding your summer PI, I don't think that's a valid assumption. A LOR-writer probably takes no more than 1-2 days to write a letter. Yours happens to be on the ball and did it ASAP. Some people wait till the day before the deadline. It's not like they're mulling over it for months and months, they just decided to put it off. Many profs who have written lots of LORs in the past have a general template that they use, and then they personalize it to each student. It shouldn't take too long to write a solid letter if they know you pretty well and already have a good idea as to what they're going to say when they begin writing. I'm not sure why you're hesitant about this one, either.

Are your premed advisors allowed to see your letters and give you advice about them? If so, go talk to them about it, since the best we can do on SDN is speculate. My advisor read my letters and helped me choose what order I should put them in my packet. Presumably, if any letter sucked, she would have warned me. But the vaaaast majority of letters don't suck. Why would anybody take the time and effort to write a bad letter?

cool, thanks for the response; it makes me feel much better! yeah, the only reservation I have about the summer PI is that he's a pretty busy guy and even though I did really well in his lab and got good results and everything, I can totally imagine him just putting my name in a template and sending it off. again, I may be wrong. Maybe I'll include it for the schools that allow more than 5 letters, but do you think a letter like this could have a negative impact? I'm pretty confident the other 5 letters will be really good.

cool, thanks for the response; it makes me feel much better! yeah, the only reservation I have about the summer PI is that he's a pretty busy guy and even though I did really well in his lab and got good results and everything, I can totally imagine him just putting my name in a template and sending it off. again, I may be wrong. Maybe I'll include it for the schools that allow more than 5 letters, but do you think a letter like this could have a negative impact? I'm pretty confident the other 5 letters will be really good.

When I requested a LOR from my PI, and the deadline was approaching, he told me "don't worry, I have a template..."

And I started worrying because "template" usually means impersonal, right?

But he sent me a copy of the letter when he was done, and it was a great letter!

Template just meant that he had a rough outline that he follows... for example "sentence about how long I've known the student, and in what context... sentence about how I first met student... few sentences about student's involvement in research... few sentences about student's leadership...few sentences about students personal qualities that would make him/her well suited to be a physician...concluding sentences about how strongly to recommend student... sentence about how student has waived the right to see this letter...signature block" (I'm kinda summarizing, here)

The sentences themselves were filled with personal anecdotes and glowing adjectives.

I don't remember what the requirements are. Submit the bare minimum to meet the requirement + any stellar ones you have. Don't submit any mediocre ones unless you *have* to.

(Like if a school requires a non science letter and you only have one mediocre non science letter, you have no choice but to submit it.)

That's my opinion anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

I was also wondering, do ppl typically wait until they are given a secondary to designate their LORs through AMCAS, or just submit them with the primary?

Last year, I submitted it with my primary, but presumably you could wait? I'm not sure... Last year only 3 of my schools requested LORs through AMCAS.

Thanks for the tip!

I was also wondering, do ppl typically wait until they are given a secondary to designate their LORs through AMCAS, or just submit them with the primary?
you can do either it doesnt matter.

has anyone tried to check their application status on the ucsf website yet or is it too early? it says they can't find my amcas id...

has anyone tried to check their application status on the ucsf website yet or is it too early? it says they can't find my amcas id...
way tooo early man. UC schools dont even get secondaries out until mid-late july. give it at least another 2 weeks.

I hope I don't screened out. It would be sad.:laugh:

I hope I don't screened out. It would be sad.:laugh:
I think the initial screen for secondaries is purely numbers based (though i could be wrong) if i remmeber right you had a 33+ mcat or something, so im sure you could make the initial cut.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the initial screen for secondaries is purely numbers based (though i could be wrong) if i remmeber right you had a 33+ mcat or something, so im sure you could make the initial cut.

i hope i don't get screened out either:( i feel like it would be more than numbers-based though.. they have to have over 1500 applicants that make that cut, right?

It's not number-based at all...The secondary screen is the biggest cut, so the adcoms try to conduct it very carefully. UCSF is known (and sometimes criticized) for looking way beyond numbers. It's not unheard of for people with 40 MCATs to be denied secondaries.

It's not number-based at all...The secondary screen is the biggest cut, so the adcoms try to conduct it very carefully. UCSF is known (and sometimes criticized) for looking way beyond numbers. It's not unheard of for people with 40 MCATs to be denied secondaries.

so would you say our chances increase pretty significantly if we receive a secondary? Also, I've heard that UCSF doesn't really care too much about being a CA resident, but then on some people's MDApps, they got rejected pre-secondary, even though they seem very qualified (and then obviously they all blamed it on them not being CA residents hehe). Anyone know for sure whether or not UCSF heavily favors CA residents?

As for acceptances, UCSF sends out 50% to CA residents and 50% to OOS. There's no quota imposed by the government, but CA residents are more likely to apply as well as to accept the offer.

The cut from primary to secondary is around 6500 to 1500, and from secondary to interview is 1500 to 500.

MDApps is not as comprehensive as AMCAS. People can be very qualified in terms of academic performance, but their files may reflect characteristics that the adcoms feel are not the best fit for UCSF.

Last edited:
How would it sound if on my secondary, I mentioned that my father has done biomedical work with the a former dean of the medical school? I haven't exactly known this doctor personally but it has provided me with insight of the school...

Yes? No?

Shemarty?

Thanks

I thought there were no essays on this?

How would it sound if on my secondary, I mentioned that my father has done biomedical work with the a former dean of the medical school? I haven't exactly known this doctor personally but it has provided me with insight of the school...

Yes? No?

Shemarty?

Thanks

I thought there were no essays on this?

There are no essays on the UCSF secondary. I don't remember if there's any option to send in additional information.

I don't think the fact that your dad worked with the dean will increase your chances. The fact that your dad worked at UCSF probably helped you gain insight about the school. That's something you can mention during interviews. Having insight about the school is great, but name-dropping's probably not a great idea... especially when that person doesn't know you!

Hey, sorry if i missed this earlier in the thread, but does anyone have an idea about when secondaries (if we're lucky) will be out? It seems like Vanderbilt has an even more intense secondary screening process, but rumor is they'll have some out in August.

Hey, sorry if i missed this earlier in the thread, but does anyone have an idea about when secondaries (if we're lucky) will be out? It seems like Vanderbilt has an even more intense secondary screening process, but rumor is they'll have some out in August.

I got mine July 21st last year, which I think was around the first batch. Check the UCSF thread from last year to make sure.

so when they send out the secondaries at this point does it matter if we were verified the first day or end of June?!

Just got an email now saying they are starting to review apps and we should recieve a decision within the next 12 weeks. Let the panicing begin :p

Just got an email now saying they are starting to review apps and we should recieve a decision within the next 12 weeks. Let the panicing begin :p
Just got it too. Twelve weeks. :scared:

i just got the email, checked my status page and saw this:

AMCAS Data Received 7/1/2009
Secondary Requested 7/1/2009
Congratulations. We want to know more about you.

You are invited to submit a secondary application. Please submit the secondary form and any additional forms listed below as soon as possible but no later than four weeks from the date of this invitation. Please carefully follow the specific instructions included in our secondary application.

Is this for real???? or a computer error...

I got a request for secondary within like 1 minute of the first email :D

Although after I logged in, it said I was approved for a secondary back on 6/30 :confused:...and my AMCAS was received on 6/30. Dang, I am well-loved.

MD-only:
Statement of Intent (quick form saying you still want to be considered for admission)
3 LOR
$60 fee
Passport-sized photo

A minimum of three letters of recommendation, including two letters from your instructors. We prefer that you not
exceed five letters. If your undergraduate school has a premedical committee or its equivalent, a COMMITTEE LETTER
IS REQUIRED. We will accept only one set of letters, regardless of the number of programs for which you are applying.
Please be aware that UCSF is participating in the AMCAS letter service, and as such applicants are required to submit
their letters of recommendation via AMCAS. However, the AMCAS letter service is compatible with VirtualEvals and
Interfolio.
Useful letters are those from instructors of upper division courses who know the applicant well, and from those who can
document evidence of contribution to research or other work related to the delivery of health care. Character references
and recommendations from family friends, relatives, or parents' associates are generally not useful. Letters submitted by
the applicant will not be accepted. YOUR FILE WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE UNTIL LETTERS HAVE BEEN
RECEIVED FROM ALL RECOMMENDERS LISTED ON THE STATEMENT OF INTENT.

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may submit a supplemental list (maximum two pages) to be returned
with the documents listed above.

PRIME-US Essay Question (limit 500 words)
Please describe your experiences with underserved communities, community-based work, leadership
roles, and commitment to working with the urban underserved.

PRIME-US Short Answer Questions (250 word limit each)
PRIME-US requires a commitment above and beyond the regular medical school curriculum. You will
be expected to spend time participating in small group activities and engaging with underserved
communities in the Bay Area. Please answer the following questions:
1) How will you balance PRIME-US with your academic responsibilities and personal life?
2) Please describe your experience working in small groups.
3) What will you bring to PRIME-US?
4) What do you hope to get out of PRIME-US?

JMP PROGRAM:
UC Berkeley-UCSF Joint Medical Program (MS/MD) combines the resources of two major campuses to
allow more extended, individualized studies with the completion of the Master's thesis involving an in-depth
research project, in addition to the medical degree. The JMP core medical curriculum makes full use of casebased
problem oriented learning in small groups. Please prepare a two-part essay describing the following:
(1) how your specific educational goals would be met by participating in our small group, case-based problem
oriented core curriculum, as well as how you see your participation contributing to the JMP. Elucidate
specific experiences, skills or personal qualities relevant to your making this choice. (2) your specific interest
in the M.S. involving an in-depth research project. Include what topic(s) or area of research you are
considering for thesis work during the three JMP years. We request no more than one page.

MSTP:
Questions about your labs, project title and description, mentor name, why you want to do MSTP, etc. I can't copy/paste it here for some reason.

Last edited:
if my LORs are sent thru my school's premed committee, what should i put down in the recommenders section? on amcas, we only listed our advisor's name- do i put my school/advisor or all the people that should have letters in the committee packet?

did you guys have your LORs in yet?

nope..earliest my school is sending them is mid-July..

that's so exciting!!!!!!

ahh i didnt get anything :( when were u guys verified?!!

im also curious, did anyone from out of state get a secondary?

I got that first email, but nothing after.:(

Where's the status page? Do you have to get a second email before they give you the status page?

just got the secondary, right after the first email too!! Looks like an easy secondary!

its on the site, you dont need an email to see it.

it wouldnt let me create a login. im guessing you have to have received an email from them to make one

No, I can log in fine. You have to click Create Account though.

i did click create account, typed in amcas ID, DOB, and password. then it gives me that error. ive used my amcas id on other sites, so i know its fine.

So can we apply for both the regular MD and the PRIME-US?

Would it be possible to get rejected from PRIME-US and still get into the regular MD program?

I got a request for secondary within like 1 minute of the first email :D

Although after I logged in, it said I was approved for a secondary back on 6/30 :confused:...and my AMCAS was received on 6/30. Dang, I am well-loved.

MD-only:
Statement of Intent (quick form saying you still want to be considered for admission)
3 LOR
$60 fee
Passport-sized photo

MSTP:
Questions about your labs, project title and description, mentor name, why you want to do MSTP, etc. I can't copy/paste it here for some reason.

Creativekat:

You mentioned MD only.....

Does that mean you have applied MD/PhD but they only give the consideration for MD...? If so, they screen out MD/PhD so early.

Creativekat:

You mentioned MD only.....

Does that mean you have applied MD/PhD but they only give the consideration for MD...? If so, they screen out MD/PhD so early.

You'll see it when you get it but there's a checkbox of which program(s) you are applying to. If you apply MD-only it takes like a minute to fill out the info and stick it in the envelope, but if you apply to other programs you have other stuff to fill out (essays).

I applied MD-only but I think that secondary is just a standard one for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.