ECU Dental Applying 2011

Same here, got the still interested email this evening. I hope it's good news, but who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Hank, sorry to hear that, you seem like a solid candidate, but you did get into Pit so I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks - I appreciate the positive remark.

Good luck to those that are still awaiting an acceptance!

Last week of interviews is this week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received the 'continued interest' e-mail, I hope this means the process will be wrapped up soon.

Any news about when we might hear from them?

I think last week was the final week of interviews, so I would think that in the next couple weeks there should be some answers. The deadline for the 'continued interest' e-mail was last friday, so I would think they would have a good idea of the number of ppl that are still interested, they should be able to accept the rest and build their alternate list pretty easily.

Has anyone who interviewed in the last week or so have any information?

Anyone?? :laugh:

Can't believe that the next cycle starts in about 4 months.

I interviewed last wednesday. The only news we got was that the committee would meet this week.

It went great. Chris, Lamont, Dr. Wilson, and the rest of the ad com committee were all extremely personable and easy to talk to. One queston that I was asked by multiple interviewers were "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" I believe they definitely want people that want to stay in the state, especially in the counties with a shortage of dentist. They said the end is near, and mentioned briefly about the "continuing interest" emails that were sent. I'm not sure what % of the class has been filled yet. Hopefully we'll all find out something soon, since we've all waited for so long.

as to what % of the class is full... idk about that for certain but there's 34 members of the facebook group that are future students. Some just added today so I don't know if they are just getting notified or slow on the joining of the group.

hope this helps. gl.

as to what % of the class is full... idk about that for certain but there's 34 members of the facebook group that are future students. Some just added today so I don't know if they are just getting notified or slow on the joining of the group.

hope this helps. gl.

Yes it does, thanks.:thumbup:

I imagine that there must be a few more out there, seems like a little late to still have 32% of the spots open. Who knows?

Last edited:
My AADSAS status was updated today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well based on what everyone is saying here it seems like all of us still waiting should hear something in the next few days hopefully.

Just got the call from Dr. Wilson about an hour ago and I'm in! The admission's committee met this evening. I interviewed last Wednesday, so I'm not sure if they made decisions just for my group or have made decisions regarding all other applicants. Also, I called Chris on Tuesday to inform the school about my deposit deadline for Tufts this Friday, so perhaps they called me this evening as a courtesy. ECU's my top choice so I'll definitely be accepting. Good look everyone and hopefully you all will hear back from them very soon!

Just got the call from Dr. Wilson about an hour ago and I'm in! The admission's committee met this evening. I interviewed last Wednesday, so I'm not sure if they made decisions just for my group or have made decisions regarding all other applicants. Also, I called Chris on Tuesday to inform the school about my deposit deadline for Tufts this Friday, so perhaps they called me this evening as a courtesy. ECU's my top choice so I'll definitely be accepting. Good look everyone and hopefully you all will hear back from them very soon!

It wasn't just courtesy - Dr. Wilson told us they met today and "extended some additional offers"

Congrats revo! I think it was my awesome interview advice :) Join our facebook group ECU SoDM Class of 2015!

I just got the acceptance call myself. I have waited so long for that phone call that I didn't even know what to say...frankly I still can't believe it. ECU has been my top choice ever since the first time I visited. I'm super stoked to be a part of this very promising dental program. I would like to thank everyone on this forum for all of their help through this entire process.

So you all think there will be anymore calls made this week, or are they pretty much done?

congrats to you (and BrownJesus), I hope they have a few more spots, but its good to know that people are getting calls!

So you all think there will be anymore calls made this week, or are they pretty much done?

not to be obnoxiously optimistic, but its not over until you get a rejection.

Theres no such thing as being 'obnoxiously optimistic'.
I'm rooting for you jmt!!

Ha well I guess it's over for me then, just got the rejection email this morning. Ah well, Tufts here I come!

Hi all. This is my first SDN post after stalking this thread for a few weeks!
ECU sent rejections out today and offers for "Waiting Pool". The waiting pool is unranked and currently they expect their class is full.

Hi all. This is my first SDN post after stalking this thread for a few weeks!
ECU sent rejections out today and offers for "Waiting Pool". The waiting pool is unranked and currently they expect their class is full.

Do you know how the rejections were delivered? I have still not heard a thing.
P.S. I have been stalking too.

Do you know how the rejections were delivered? I have still not heard a thing.
P.S. I have been stalking too.

Rejection email sent around 10:30 this morning, formal letter to follow.

Notices were sent by email. Not sure if they're doing this in batches, i.e. according to interview dates; otherwise you should receive a notice. What month did you interview?

I interviewed the first session of January, so maybe they will get to my batch soon.

@jmt, tough news, I wish you the best of luck this next cycle, which doesn't seem too far away, hopefully I'll see you next yr at Greenville!

I interviewed Jan 11 and I have yet to hear anything either...hoping for some news today. Good luck to everyone!

@jmt, tough news, I wish you the best of luck this next cycle, which doesn't seem too far away, hopefully I'll see you next yr at Greenville!

Thanks, but I haven't decided yet if there is going to be a next cycle. Good luck this fall!

Got the "waiting pool" email at about 7pm.

Hey guys
Congratulations to all of you who were accepted into ECU's dental school as well as other schools. I was hoping if you all could give me some suggestions. I graduated from NCSU last december and since then have been working with a friends's father who is a dentist in Charlotte, NC. Since then i have had a strong passion to enter into dentistry for the upcoming year. However, my undergrad cumulative and science gpa suffered tremendously for some reasons and i ended up graduating with a 2.8 cum gpa in human bio with a 2.7 sci gpa. I do have all my required pre reqs but I am almost a 100% certain that those stats will not get me into dental school. I am about to start studying for the DAT and plan to take it in May, but I was hoping to boost my gpa by retaking some of my science classes from UNCC. Along side this, I will have about 200 hours of shadowing experience by working with this dentist and hopefully can do well on my DAT. Based on all of this, do you guys think i may have a short at any dental school, specifically ECU? I am a NC resident that is close to my family so i'd like to stay in NC but not a necessity. I really appreciate any feedback you guys would be willing to provide. Thanks!

Hey guys
Congratulations to all of you who were accepted into ECU's dental school as well as other schools. I was hoping if you all could give me some suggestions. I graduated from NCSU last december and since then have been working with a friends's father who is a dentist in Charlotte, NC. Since then i have had a strong passion to enter into dentistry for the upcoming year. However, my undergrad cumulative and science gpa suffered tremendously for some reasons and i ended up graduating with a 2.8 cum gpa in human bio with a 2.7 sci gpa. I do have all my required pre reqs but I am almost a 100% certain that those stats will not get me into dental school. I am about to start studying for the DAT and plan to take it in May, but I was hoping to boost my gpa by retaking some of my science classes from UNCC. Along side this, I will have about 200 hours of shadowing experience by working with this dentist and hopefully can do well on my DAT. Based on all of this, do you guys think i may have a short at any dental school, specifically ECU? I am a NC resident that is close to my family so i'd like to stay in NC but not a necessity. I really appreciate any feedback you guys would be willing to provide. Thanks!

I had similar stats to you from undergrad so I did a Master's program. I did ok on my DAT (19/19) and ECU gave me an interview but no acceptance. If I were you, I would try to get your GPA up and do some volunteer type work, that is big in their mission. Good luck!

Thanks, but I haven't decided yet if there is going to be a next cycle. Good luck this fall!

Sorry JMT. You have had a long journey and it's unfortunate that your commitment hasn't (yet) come across to the schools to land you a spot.
Have you thought about re-taking the DAT if you decide to try the next cycle? I think 19 is a decent number but a higher score may just open more doors next time?

Last edited:
Sorry JMT. You have had a long journey and it's unfortunate that your commitment hasn't (yet) come across to the schools to land you a spot.
Have you thought about re-taking the DAT if you decide to try the next cycle? I think 19 is a decent number but a higher score may just open more doors next time?

True, and applying to more schools may have been advantageous, but I have to stay in North Carolina, my wife has a really good job and I'm not jeopardizing her career by applying all across the country.

I think that not applying again will be the right move, I'm ok with it, maybe the fact that I'm hesitant to apply again is a signal that someone else deserves the spot more than me. I did find this forum a valuable resource and all the people here have been great.

If anyone has any specific questions and think that I might be able to give advice, PM me, but I'll occasionally be on the forum. For now though, I'm taking a leave of absence, this cycle has been a long one. :laugh:

I have a 4.0 gpa at ECU as an undergrad, 1000+ hours of shadowing/working in a dentist office, even more various volunteer hours, born and raised in eastern NC (where ECU claims they want to provide dentists), 15 day dental mission trip to Nicaragua in summer 2009, 18 on DAT and I still didn't get into ECU. So, who knows what they are looking for...lots of things matter, don't give up. (Obviously my DAT score wasn't great but I didn't have time to retake it)

i feel you jwp, i got a 4.0 in ecu's biology master's program and a 21 on the dat and didn't even get waitlisted. my unc undegrad gpa was only around a 3.0 (slow start freshman year), so maybe that hurt even though they didn't seem concerned about that when i interviewed in sept. i had over 100 hrs shadowing with several different dentists and a moderate amount of community service as well as a published research thesis, so who knows what went on at those committee meetings. anyway, had to vent a little bit, but bottom line, it would probably be a good idea to take the rejection letter's advice and arrange a talk with dr. wilson, maybe she'll let us in on what they are looking for.

Yes I advise talking to Dr. Wilson - she's very nice and will definitely tell you what they were looking for - I really think it was just numbers. Its only 50 spots and tons of applicants. They were looking for a certain fit to the first class.. but exit interviews are good feedback.

+1 with sneil's advice. The next app cycle is coming up very fast, and talking to Dr. Wilson will give you some insight as to what you can do over the next few months to strengthen your app. You guys have great stats, so perhaps numbers aren't a problem. Either way, I'll be rooting for you guys come this fall.

@Sneil - I just sent in my deposit and requested to be added to the facebook group. Any talk about housing/roommates on there so far?

I had similar stats to you from undergrad so I did a Master's program. I did ok on my DAT (19/19) and ECU gave me an interview but no acceptance. If I were you, I would try to get your GPA up and do some volunteer type work, that is big in their mission. Good luck!

DDSpursuit and JMT - i was in a similar situation to you guys, applying post grad, with a less than ideal gpa (3.2 @ wake forest, which is still above the avg GPA there and was still over Dean's List, but that is a different rant for a different time) and a few years after receiving my BA. I was told by advisors and several dentists that I shadowed (including one that used to serve on an admissions board at pitt or penn, i forget which), that since my GPA fell outside the traditional competitive range (3.5-3.7), obviously I would need to compensate. There are only two ways to do that: ace a bunch of classes and do well on the DAT. i took 2-3 semesters (only one completely full), i had a hard time just finding classes to take since I had taken almost all of them in undergrad, and banged out 4.0's. making 3.5-3.7's not going to cut it, because remember you have to overcompensate for your old gpa. and as for the DAT, the first time i took it i got a 19 - i thought that was good enough. i did not get accepted. the second time i applied, i retook the DAT and scored a 20, which is a much bigger increase than it sounds, and i think the schools recognized that improvement (percentile wise, it was a jump from 78% to 94%, quite a large gap for just 1 score point). as was mentioned by others, numbers are very important, but its not a complete picture and there is no telling what exactly schools are looking for.

case in point, after my first cycle, unc indicated that improved DAT score would help to offset my lower GPA, which they did not like (i was still invited for interview, but not accepted). not only did i increase my DAT score, but also turned in 2 more semesters of 4.0 as well as some more dental experience, but still rejected my 2nd time. i still have no idea what they wanted from me, because i did what they asked. if they didn't like my face, i wish they would have just said so. take that FWIW, it is only a small portion of one man's journey.

DDSpursuit - you mentioned you were in charlotte? i am also there, and have done all my pre-dental stuff in the area. if you want, shoot me a PM and we can talk some QC predent shop, maybe give you some pointers, etc.

Does any body have an idea of how many people are on the ECU dental waitlist and if there is any hope of it moving please respond if you have any info.......I can count 3 peeps from these posts

So I want to get some of you peoples thoughts.

I'm going to re-apply. In the limited time I can retake dat (what UNC recommended) or I can boost my volunteer hours (what Ecu recommended).

Or both.

I def want to apply early. No later that say mid June.

Of course volunteering would a lot easier than trying to retake day and risk a lower score. My score was 18. Ive been out of school for a few years and had to relearn almost everything. Last time I took it was mid June of last year.

I think taking classes is out of the question. Ecu said to focus more on volunteer and not to worry too much on dat and gpa. Whereas UNC was the opposite. I like both schools equally. I received interviews at both schools this past cycle. I need to show some sort of improvement if I want any chance next year. It just sucks that I found out about rejections late in the game and now I have limited time.

Does any body have an idea of how many people are on the ECU dental waitlist and if there is any hope of it moving please respond if you have any info.......I can count 3 peeps from these posts

I'm on it as well, so that makes at least 5.....who knows.

So I want to get some of you peoples thoughts.

I'm going to re-apply. In the limited time I can retake dat (what UNC recommended) or I can boost my volunteer hours (what Ecu recommended).

Or both.

I def want to apply early. No later that say mid June.

Of course volunteering would a lot easier than trying to retake day and risk a lower score. My score was 18. Ive been out of school for a few years and had to relearn almost everything. Last time I took it was mid June of last year.

I think taking classes is out of the question. Ecu said to focus more on volunteer and not to worry too much on dat and gpa. Whereas UNC was the opposite. I like both schools equally. I received interviews at both schools this past cycle. I need to show some sort of improvement if I want any chance next year. It just sucks that I found out about rejections late in the game and now I have limited time.

with an 18, i would try to improve my score regardless. sure some people get in with 18s, but even improving to a 19 or 20 greatly increases your chances anywhere. especially since you said you hadn't been in the classroom in a while, and those are the two academic measuring sticks. volunteer/dental shadowing is something you should constantly be doing. unless you have some sort of dental clinic or such in your town, most likely the easiest volunteer events will be the NCDS MOM events, which require driving since they jump around. ECU especially loves this since they are a program that heavily emphasizes service and dedication to underserved areas, as that is their mission.

as for gpa, sounds like you have already graduated so changing it isn't really an option. i wouldn't bother with summer classes, but, if you can do it, take a full (or near full) load of senior lvl science courses this fall, 4.0 it, and this will prove to the schools that "you are still able to perform at a high level academically" even though you've been out of the classroom game for a while. breaking it down, there are only 3 objective categories to your dental app - dat, gpa, volunteer hrs. so when you are reapplying, its important to improve your overall resume, not just one aspect.

The waitlist has started moving.

Last edited:
^^^

Looks like that's true according to the Facebook group...

Soo.... ECU 2012 cycle.... Who's doing what so far? Has anyone had an interview yet?