2010-2011 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. Like anyone (amongst SDN'ers) would EVER be the only one applying tp a certain school.

Raised, schooled, and currently working in MA. I pretty much apply to every school within a 200 mile radius.

Yeah I applied here! One of my top picks, too... Born in raised about 15 minutes outside Albany and I did my undergrad in Albany (including one course actually at AMC!) so yeah, I would love to go to Albany Med...

I applied here too. Oh secondary...where are you?

I applied here too. Oh secondary...where are you?

If this is among your top choices, I would have already looked at last year questions and answered them (or maybe you implied you already did that and just waiting to submit).

Last edited:
I'm applying here too! I worked at AMC for 18 months, its like home. I hope I get in! I would love to get things started here, donde esta secondary?!?!

I was born near Albany and lived close by for 11 years. It would be pretty cool to head back to the area where I grew up.

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary Received.

Essays are same as last year:

If you have previously applied to Albany Medical College or another medical school and were not accepted, how have you spent the intervening time?
(1,000 character limit)

Describe yourself:
(1,000 character limit)

If selected for an interview, what one life experience would you most like to talk about?
(160 character limit)

Did anyone else get this? I haven't yet...

i just got this secondary. what're u supposed to write for describe urself? is it supposed to be like ur PS or more autobiographical?

i just got this secondary. what're u supposed to write for describe urself? is it supposed to be like ur PS or more autobiographical?

I started out with a few sentences describing my childhood (birth and family life) and connected it with my current day experiences of community service and healthcare...and that was it. I honestly don't know what they want..so I gave more of a "list" of "who i am" and "here's what I did in university"

"Participated in a summer research and / or enrichment program related to a career in the health professions "

Does anyone know waht that means? What's a career in health professions and what kind of research does that include?

do you think shadowing would go under volunteer health activity or not?

I put shadowing under health..volunteering (whatever the title was).

Research=non-health, clubs=hobby... for me

Are you guys sure about putting research under the non-health related community service section..? Research is considered as community service..?

No, I'm not sure about that actually. I think I'm going to put it under paid employment, since I do get paid this summer.

Are you guys sure about putting research under the non-health related community service section..? Research is considered as community service..?

I think research should go under extra curriculars as a "specific interest".

For the "describe yourself" question, I referred to this: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2008/02/trick-question/#more-126

It's slightly different (since the column was written for an oral interview as opposed to a written essay), but I think if you follow a similar sort of format then that should suffice. Good luck everyone!

I'm definitely going to have to mention my love of water sports ;)

But seriously, good reference, thanks!

Do the items that I want to put in the "Extracurricular Activities" section have to be in the original AMCAS application? Or can I add stuff?

Do the items that I want to put in the "Extracurricular Activities" section have to be in the original AMCAS application? Or can I add stuff?

Good question, I wasn't sure of that myself...

I don't think one should add...because it said in the app "items listed in your AMCAS app"...and "help us ..."(something to the effect of matching them up and seeing what was "most valuable" to us as students.)

I'd just go with what was in your app, to be safe.

What do they mean by "life experience?" Should we not include stuff like volunteering?

What do they mean by "life experience?" Should we not include stuff like volunteering?

That never even crossed my mind..but thank god I put something that was an experience, rather than an extracurricular like volunteering. However, I would contend that volunteering=life experience. The term life experience is quite broad and would encompass many things!

That never even crossed my mind..but thank god I put something that was an experience, rather than an extracurricular like volunteering. However, I would contend that volunteering=life experience. The term life experience is quite broad and would encompass many things!
Last year the question was, "Explain which EC you would want to talk about in an interview."
To me life experience sounds like something more long-term or having a bigger impact. It's not like I don't have anything to write for that, it's just that I'd feel more comfortable talking about volunteering.

Last year the question was, "Explain which EC you would want to talk about in an interview."
To me life experience sounds like something more long-term or having a bigger impact. It's not like I don't have anything to write for that, it's just that I'd feel more comfortable talking about volunteering.

Honestly, I doubt the answer to your question will make a HUGE difference in your application's outcome. Just put whatever you feel most comfortable talking about in an interview that would be considered a "life experience" or something that occurred in your life lol.

I'll just put down an actual life experience. It does make me somewhat different, and it's already on my app (though not really explained), but it encompasses one of the interview topics that are generally advised against bringing up.

For the Describe Yourself prompt, are you guys writing more about your own personalities and abstract stuff or actual things you've done in college and rehash about ECs?

I'm definitely going to have to mention my love of water sports ;)

But seriously, good reference, thanks!

"Water sports" had me ROFLMAO for a moment there, wondering whether you know a less appropriate use of the word. AdCom might giggle at that a little.

Is EC anything that is NOT a class-related? Like a job, even?

For the "describe yourself" question, I referred to this: http://www.studentdoctor.net/2008/02/trick-question/#more-126

It's slightly different (since the column was written for an oral interview as opposed to a written essay), but I think if you follow a similar sort of format then that should suffice. Good luck everyone!

That is a great article, thanks!

Is EC anything that is NOT a class-related? Like a job, even?

Jobs would probably go under "Paid Employment." The ECs section specifically says "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica]Extracurricular Activities (during college and post-college), including sports, hobbies and special interests.".

The system reverted my changes after saving it. So annoying.
Guys, copy and paste the final versions of the essays into the form. It's really buggy and I wasted a half hour just making sure everything was correct (and I still missed something major).

"Water sports" had me ROFLMAO for a moment there, wondering whether you know a less appropriate use of the word. AdCom might giggle at that a little.

Haha, oh I know what you're talking about. The article that that one poster linked mentioned water sports as a hobby to talk about at interview, which I thought was hilarious.

anyone have any in-state/out of state stats on this school?

I can't find anything....

Haha, oh I know what you're talking about. The article that that one poster linked mentioned water sports as a hobby to talk about at interview, which I thought was hilarious.

"Not only am I well-rounded, I like being pissed on when I have some free time. I think I am the perfect candidate for medicine." ROFLMAO.

"Not only am I well-rounded, I like being pissed on when I have some free time. I think I am the perfect candidate for medicine." ROFLMAO.
"It's just my own little way of contributing to the diversity of the class.":laugh:

anyone have any in-state/out of state stats on this school?

I can't find anything....
It's a private school but last year's MSAR reports ~40% in state for 2008-2009 matriculants.

Status
Not open for further replies.