2012-2013 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
8. Have you ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic or parking violation? If you answer yes, please provide an explanation in the space provided. (*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste from word, you may cut and paste from Notepad on your PC or text edit from your Apple PC. ***)
9. If there is any additional information you would like to provide please include it in the box below.
(*** Please limit your response to 4000 characters and do not cut and paste from word, you may cut and paste from Notepad on your PC or text edit from your Apple PC. ***)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who goes here want to comment on what this school's program is like? I can't seem to find any good info on their website since they're currently "updating their web presence" haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who goes here want to comment on what this school's program is like? I can't seem to find any good info on their website since they're currently "updating their web presence" haha.

I'm a current first-year and overall, I would say the program is very good. The curriculum makes a lot of sense the way it is presented. There are tons of opportunities here for shadowing, research, and getting involved with extra-curricular activities. Anyone can feel free to PM me with any questions about Jefferson.

Any other Delawareans on the boards for this cycle?

We seem to rely on Philadelphia for a lot! Local trains, official medical school... :p

Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Jefferson give out last year?

What should I know about Jefferson's application procedure and Jefferson medical college in general?

Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Jefferson give out last year?

What should I know about Jefferson's application procedure and Jefferson medical college in general?

Good questions. All things you can find out with a few clicks...

I'll be starting at Jefferson this fall so I'll try to make time to check this thread to answer questions as I can. For the application procedure, for Jefferson, I think more than most schools, show your interest. The only essay prompt we had was 'Is there anything else you want us to know about you' or something along those lines. If you can't think of anything, write about what you like about Jefferson. If you go a few months without getting an interview invite, send them an update letter/letter of interest. I definitely believe it will help here.

Can't really speak of what to know about the school in general, since I haven't started there yet, but I can say they really stress a good sense of community and strong clinical training.

Hope this was helpful.

What was the format of their interviews?

We had two 1-1 interviews. One was with a student, the other with a faculty member. Both were very laid back. During my student interview I believe we spent most of the time talking about different movies. The faculty interview is laid back as well, mostly me explaining my application more in-depth. My interviewer asked me a lot of non-medically related questions such as, "Besides your career, what will you be doing in 10 years". Definitely not going to get a 'stress' type of interview here, the entire interview day was laid back and fun.

How lenient are they in terms of the LOR requirements? I currently have 2 science (physiology and biology/statistics) + 1 humanities (non-science) + 1 MD LOR. Will this be okay?

So, apparently interviews are only on Wednesdays? Does anybody know if this is flexible for those who teach at universities or with some other conflict?

How lenient are they in terms of the LOR requirements? I currently have 2 science (physiology and biology/statistics) + 1 humanities (non-science) + 1 MD LOR. Will this be okay?

I can't tell you and be 100% sure. I just used a committee letter. Their admissions website is pretty good, I got this from the FAQs section:

What letters are required and are exemptions made on the required letters of recommendation? My physics professor from last year is no longer with the university. Could I send in two recommendations from chemistry professors instead?
Generally JMC prefers a composite letter written on behalf of the applicant by the college or university's pre-health committee, if there is one. Some schools do not provide this service but offer to collect individual letters of recommendation and mail them to the medical schools. If individual letters are sent, we prefer one biology, one chemistry and one physics and one humanities. You may direct exemption requests to the Committee on Admissions using the optional information section on the Secondary Application.

I would either call or email: [email protected]

So, apparently interviews are only on Wednesdays? Does anybody know if this is flexible for those who teach at universities or with some other conflict?

Yes, interviews are only offered on Wednesdays. Also, when offered an interview they email you exactly what day you will be interviewing. I'm not sure exactly how flexible they can be with rescheduling which Wednesday you interview, but I imagine it would depend on when in the application cycle you are offered an interview. My experience with the admissions office has been great, they are really really nice people so I would imagine they would be accommodating.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with specific questions about the admissions committee, remember I was only accepted this past cycle and have yet to even start classes at JMC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those letters of rec should be fine. I was in virtually the exact same position (2 Sci, 1 Non-sci, 1 MD letter), and I got a fairly early interview. Now, having said that, I was waitlisted (and I haven't been accepted yet). But I think that has far less to do with the letters sent to them and far more to do with the fact that very few have been accepted off the waitlist at Jefferson thus far this year (or, really, any other school for that matter - it seems that nearly every school has overaccepted this year).

I faintly remember reading on their LOR form that their suggested letters were optimal, but that students should essentially do the best they can. When you think about it, if you are an extremely qualified student with good GPA, MCAT, and extracurriculars, but you don't quite have one of the suggested letters of rec, the school is still probably going to be interested in you. Having interviewed at six schools this last cycle, I can assure you that most schools are fairly flexible and care much more about getting the best students possible than worrying about the minutiae of the application process.

Those letters of rec should be fine. I was in virtually the exact same position (2 Sci, 1 Non-sci, 1 MD letter), and I got a fairly early interview. Now, having said that, I was waitlisted (and I haven't been accepted yet). But I think that has far less to do with the letters sent to them and far more to do with the fact that very few have been accepted off the waitlist at Jefferson thus far this year (or, really, any other school for that matter - it seems that nearly every school has overaccepted this year).

I faintly remember reading on their LOR form that their suggested letters were optimal, but that students should essentially do the best they can. When you think about it, if you are an extremely qualified student with good GPA, MCAT, and extracurriculars, but you don't quite have one of the suggested letters of rec, the school is still probably going to be interested in you. Having interviewed at six schools this last cycle, I can assure you that most schools are fairly flexible and care much more about getting the best students possible than worrying about the minutiae of the application process.

Awesome! Did you have to explain to them why you didn't have a 3rd science LOR? If yes, how'd you go about doing this?

Awesome! Did you have to explain to them why you didn't have a 3rd science LOR? If yes, how'd you go about doing this?
No, I didn't. I just went with it, and it all worked out. Again, schools are pretty flexible, and they really only care about interviewing and admitting the best applicants. So, if your have a solid application, you should be good to go.

Does anybody know if Jefferson still view multiple MCAT takes by averaging all of your attempts?

Does this include average with scores that are beyond the "oldest accepted" score?

Any other Delawareans on the boards for this cycle?

We seem to rely on Philadelphia for a lot! Local trains, official medical school... :p

haha I'm from Delaware...fingers crossed!

If you can manage an interview at this school, chances of acceptance are relatively high. Of course you're competing against something like 10,000 application for 800 interview spots. If you like this school let them know it!

Anyone receive a secondary application yet? It says on their website that they send out an instant notification via email upon receipt of a verified AMCAS application, which for me would have been last week :/

Anyone receive a secondary application yet? It says on their website that they send out an instant notification via email upon receipt of a verified AMCAS application, which for me would have been last week :/

No e-mail yet for me, either. I don't think they've sent it out.

I got my secondary today but under types of applications, I don't see MD as an option...anyone else having this problem?

I got my secondary today but under types of applications, I don't see MD as an option...anyone else having this problem?

I have not recieved the secondary at all yet...what are the essay questions? What time did you recieve it?

I have not recieved the secondary at all yet...what are the essay questions? What time did you recieve it?

Received through email at 10:50am, but I haven't accessed it yet because when I go to log in, all the application options are health sciences, PHD, etc and I don't see an MD option...

Just received it and I can't access the MD program either. Augh, I was so looking forward to getting this done before the holiday too! Jeff is my top choice. :)

Received through email at 10:50am, but I haven't accessed it yet because when I go to log in, all the application options are health sciences, PHD, etc and I don't see an MD option...
+1

It seems that a vast majority of the secondary applications that I have been filling out have been glitchy.

Received the secondary, but I can't even login with the ID and pin they gave me (and I'm 100% sure I'm entering it correctly).

Ditto. I can't login either. There is no MD application option in the dropdown menu.

Someone please post if you get a reply from the admissions office. Thanks!

I sent an email about the issue. Still waiting to hear back.

I sent an email about the issue. Still waiting to hear back.
Let us know what the reply is? I'd rather not email, since they're probably being flooded with them right now.

No secondary yet either... Submitted 6/5 and verified 6/7. Weird!

I have the same problem. I created an account with the log in and pin they gave since I couldn't pull up the account. and no MD program....

At an information session I went to, they did say that they screened. I think you need over an 8 on any subsection of the MCAT to get through. I don't remember GPA.

so im wondering...i got a 26 my first MCAT and a 33 my second. since they average is it even worth applying here? i can't believe they take the average :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have the same problem. I created an account with the log in and pin they gave since I couldn't pull up the account. and no MD program....

Any word on this?

I tried calling their admissions office to see what was up (I haven't recieved my secondary yet) but they're not answering. :mad::(

Yeah what the hell is up with this? My login doesn't work and then I go try to be a new user and theres no MD option.

ugh, they screen for below 8?! I wasted $33 bux. damn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.