2012-2013 Jefferson Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well no movement was reported this week. Getting quite nervous.....

Members don't see this ad :)
At this point is it pretty much safe to assume that there isn't going to be any more movement on the waitlist except for like one or two more acceptances?

If you had a hard time with the readiness test I recommend doing whatever remediation Dr. Ronner suggests based on your score. MCBM was more difficult than I expected it to be. Everything is spelled out very nicely so it shouldn't take too much time.

Can any current or previous students comment on orientation?
Was it as dreadful as it looks? and is everything really mandatory?

also, for white coat: is the ceremony and lunch at the same place? and is it required to attend the lunch?

also, for white coat: is the ceremony and lunch at the same place? and is it required to attend the lunch?

I actually really enjoyed orientation. I mean, it can get a little boring, but the events at night are a blast. I recommend going to as many of those as possible. Enjoy it while you can, because starting at 9 AM on Monday, things get very "real."

The lunch following the WCC is traditionally held on Lubert Plaza and it's not mandatory.

This is the bad attitude I can't stand in my peers.

The ceremony is at a venue within walking distance from campus. The lunch is on campus.

Last edited:
This is the bad attitude I can't stand in my peers. If it's so terrible to go sit in a beautiful auditorium and listen to leaders in medicine welcome you to the university then don't go. No one will know.

This is the holier than thou attitude I can't stand in my peers. Is it so hard to imagine some people not wanting to sit through a rehash of interview day and second look day all over again? It's orientation, for god's sake; get off your high horse.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the holier than thou attitude I can't stand in my peers. Is it so hard to imagine some people not wanting to sit through a rehash of interview day and second look day all over again? It's orientation, for god's sake; get off your high horse.

Grow up. Go to the things you're supposed to go to. Bring a positive attitude. It's not that hard.

Grow up. Go to the things you're supposed to go to. Bring a positive attitude. It's not that hard.

You called someone out pretty harshly for asking an honest question about how orientation is going to be.

I don't even know why I'm defending this guy. Agree to disagree. Whatever. I'll be at orientation either way.

Jeez I didn't mean to upset anyone.
I just wanted to know if any parts of orientation were optional and a little more about WCC.

Jeez I didn't mean to upset anyone.
I just wanted to know if any parts of orientation were optional and a little more about WCC.

There are literally thousands of people who would give their right arm to have your seat. So when you refer to orientation activities as appearing to be "dreadful" and ask whether you "have to go," you convey an attitude or superiority/self-importance which pisses people off. Those folks would cheerfully attend those "dreadful" orientation activities, whether they had to or not. I agree with a previous poster. Grow up. Appreciate the opportunity you've been given and start acting like the mature professional you will shortly begin training to become.

There are literally thousands of people who would give their right arm to have your seat. So when you refer to orientation activities as appearing to be "dreadful" and ask whether you "have to go," you convey an attitude or superiority/self-importance which pisses people off. Those folks would cheerfully attend those "dreadful" orientation activities, whether they had to or not. I agree with a previous poster. Grow up. Appreciate the opportunity you've been given and start acting like the mature professional you will shortly begin training to become.

Ok

I'm one of those people that would give my right arm for a spot. I've driven to Philly (2 hours away) four times now to convince admissions to give me a spot, but to no avail. They basically told me that because I received a B- in a science class in 2001, I wouldn't be able to get in. :(

I'm one of those people that would give my right arm for a spot. I've driven to Philly (2 hours away) four times now to convince admissions to give me a spot, but to no avail. They basically told me that because I received a B- in a science class in 2001, I wouldn't be able to get in. :(

I don't think that is the sole reason...I think it can really provide a lot of anxiety to people looking at this later down the road when they see getting a B- can ruin their chances. I got two C's and got accepted, so there must have been other aspects in your application that raised flags rather than just a B-

While I sympathize with your situation, I think there's a bigger story here.

You drove to the school 4 times to show your interest...? Thats like 16 hours back and forth spent :eek:

You're right, it wasn't just genetics class. I also received a B- in Calculus as well. I had a 36 on my MCAT. Perfect score on Bio section. Been working in professional pharmaceutical research for the past 5 years. 150 hours of volunteering in an inner-city emergency room. I was told two things during my meetings with admissions. First, I was told that that my science GPA was too low. It was 3.4 due to the two B-. I did my undergrad from 2001 to 2004. I thought they would realize I got a little smarter in the last decade, but they insisted that they had to weigh my undergrad GPA the same as everything else. The second thing I was told was "We aren't in the business of training researchers." Basically they didn't give a crap about my professional research experience as a biochemist. I made it onto the high priority alternate list. But now I'm told that the list isn't moving at all. So yeah, I'm a little frustrated by being held back by grades a decade old.

You're right, it wasn't just genetics class. I also received a B- in Calculus as well. I had a 36 on my MCAT. Perfect score on Bio section. Been working in professional pharmaceutical research for the past 5 years. 150 hours of volunteering in an inner-city emergency room. I was told two things during my meetings with admissions. First, I was told that that my science GPA was too low. It was 3.4 due to the two B-. I did my undergrad from 2001 to 2004. I thought they would realize I got a little smarter in the last decade, but they insisted that they had to weigh my undergrad GPA the same as everything else. The second thing I was told was "We aren't in the business of training researchers." Basically they didn't give a crap about my professional research experience as a biochemist. I made it onto the high priority alternate list. But now I'm told that the list isn't moving at all. So yeah, I'm a little frustrated by being held back by grades a decade old.

Wow that is frustrating. I can't believe they didn't place any weight on your pharma work. Please tell me you got in somewhere else!

Wow that is frustrating. I can't believe they didn't place any weight on your pharma work. Please tell me you got in somewhere else!

Going to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. I have no problem going to an osteopathic school, but I just feel so screwed over. They had complete disdain for pharmaceutical research. The funny thing is, that I could probably teach a genetics class now. I've had so much experience with it in my career. Calculus though, I probably still can't do. Honestly, it wasn't just Jefferson. I was held up at a lot of schools because I had a 3.4 science GPA. Or at least that was the reason they told me.....

Also forgot to mention that I have an M.S. in Toxicology where my grades were just fine. I would think that those grades would take precedent over my undergraduate grades, but I guess not. Honestly, when I first started applying, I thought I would have no problem getting in. But it's been nothing but an unsurmountable task and nitpicking over things a decade old.

Going to the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine. I have no problem going to an osteopathic school, but I just feel so screwed over. They had complete disdain for pharmaceutical research. The funny thing is, that I could probably teach a genetics class now. I've had so much experience with it in my career. Calculus though, I probably still can't do. Honestly, it wasn't just Jefferson. I was held up at a lot of schools because I had a 3.4 science GPA. Or at least that was the reason they told me.....

I'm very close with several of my professors, all of whom have worked at one point or another in pharma, so I have great respect for anyone in the field. My major was also very much geared towards research, so I definitely understand how you feel about having those years of hard work disregarded.

In any case, I wish you the best with your education. I'm sure you're going to be just fine when it's all said and done.

EDIT: Woot for Toxicology! My undergrad major was pharmacology/toxicology, so I always get excited when I meet people that have studied the same. :)

Also forgot to mention that I have an M.S. in Toxicology where my grades were just fine. I would think that those grades would take precedent over my undergraduate grades, but I guess not. Honestly, when I first started applying, I thought I would have no problem getting in. But it's been nothing but an unsurmountable task and nitpicking over things a decade old.

It is unfortunate to hear that. Based on your experiences you would obviously make a good doctor, and it is shame that schools overemphasize things that really would have no bearing on your ability to practice medicine.

Turpulus, you need to realize that Jefferson is interested in graduating clinicians and people who have consistently demonstrated volunteerism. They aren't as much oriented toward research as a school like Penn. With so many people on the wait list and your history working in pharma, they may not want to risk you turning around and going right back into industry. Your grades are certainly not the reason as I had a few less than stellar science grades.

I mean no offense by my post, I'm just saying that we invest in our medical education, but so does the med school and student and school need to match up.

Keep your head up Turpulus. You're clearly very competent at at the sciences with an MCAT score like that and having a DO acceptance is nothing to scoff at. Have you maybe considered going for MD/PhD? I know straight MD admissions can often turn a blind eye towards research but your extensive research credentials would turn quite a few heads with MD/PhD adcoms.

Wow. This surprises me. You did get screwed over. My response to the bolded items above would have been, "So then why did you invite me to interview?"

Wow. This surprises me. You did get screwed over. My response to the bolded items above would have been, "So then why did you invite me to interview?"
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Honestly, I usually don't play the sour grapes card, but I can't help but feeling screwed over. I know my research background has prepared me well for medicine. I mean, I worked to design the tools that doctors use every day! I wanted to go to Jefferson because I wanted to get out of research and actually interact with patients. I just feel like my talents are wasted as a DO. I'm already packed and ready to go to Missouri to become a DO, but I'm hoping for a last minute miracle. I know DO's are allowed to take the MD certification tests as well in order to get an MD residency. If I'm applying to an MD residency and all my numbers are the same as someone else but there is a DO after my name, will that prevent me from getting the residency? I just feel like doing the DO will give me a ton of unnecessary hurdles that I just would rather not deal with. Anyway, just hoping for a miracle, otherwise I'm on my way to be a DO. :/

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Honestly, I usually don't play the sour grapes card, but I can't help but feeling screwed over. I know my research background has prepared me well for medicine. I mean, I worked to design the tools that doctors use every day! I wanted to go to Jefferson because I wanted to get out of research and actually interact with patients. I just feel like my talents are wasted as a DO. I'm already packed and ready to go to Missouri to become a DO, but I'm hoping for a last minute miracle. I know DO's are allowed to take the MD certification tests as well in order to get an MD residency. If I'm applying to an MD residency and all my numbers are the same as someone else but there is a DO after my name, will that prevent me from getting the residency? I just feel like doing the DO will give me a ton of unnecessary hurdles that I just would rather not deal with. Anyway, just hoping for a miracle, otherwise I'm on my way to be a DO. :/

if you are actually capable of scoring a 36 then you should be fine when it comes to applying for residencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.