2012-2013 Mount Sinai Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping to get some love from this school. Going to med school in NYC would be a dream come true....that is, if I don't get into a state school

Any mount sinai student here? specially first year students to tell us about their interview experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mount Sinai...please show me some love!

Don't mind me, just another applicant....

This is my #1 choice in New York and #2 overall after UCLA :). Let's do this!

Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Mount Sinai give out last year?

What should I know about Mount Sinai's application procedure?

Any mount sinai student here? specially first year students to tell us about their interview experience.

Just finished first year. There's not much to say about the interview - it's very chill. You'll have two sessions of 30 minute interviews, open-file. At least one of the interviewers will be a physician. At my interview, one of the interviewers went over my application, clarifying the significance of different activities that I did, and the other interviewer didn't mention my application at all (we just talked about the culture of American medicine for half an hour).

You guys will hear this later when you come here for the interview, but I love the flexibility in the schedule that we get at Sinai. I think it's second to the Yale System, and I am slightly awed that the administration trusts and believes in us this much. I've never taken an exam during daylight hours this year, and I've taken more exams away from NYC than here. The first year schedule gives you at least a 3.5 day weekend almost every week, and exams are spaced out nicely (you can complain to the faculty if it's not and they'll do something about it). Some people say that things like scheduling in med school is not as important, but I don't know how much I would be missing if Sinai didn't run on this schedule this past year. (I can't imagine a 8-1 schedule)

Our anatomy professor was just featured on PBS, and so was our Micro prof. The guy who teaches the metabolism block of our biochem class is amazing. You guys will be the second class to enjoy the new research building, which should be a year old when you guys start school. We have great board scores (235 average). Heck, you even get free hot/iced coffee/tea as a med student everyday till you graduate!

I'm surprised at how underrated Sinai was to me when I was applying, but now I'm back on SDN I really want to spread the word that this is an awesome med school and you're cool for applying here : )

Just finished first year. There's not much to say about the interview - it's very chill. You'll have two sessions of 30 minute interviews, open-file. At least one of the interviewers will be a physician. At my interview, one of the interviewers went over my application, clarifying the significance of different activities that I did, and the other interviewer didn't mention my application at all (we just talked about the culture of American medicine for half an hour).

You guys will hear this later when you come here for the interview, but I love the flexibility in the schedule that we get at Sinai. I think it's second to the Yale System, and I am slightly awed that the administration trusts and believes in us this much. I've never taken an exam during daylight hours this year, and I've taken more exams away from NYC than here. The first year schedule gives you at least a 3.5 day weekend almost every week, and exams are spaced out nicely (you can complain to the faculty if it's not and they'll do something about it). Some people say that things like scheduling in med school is not as important, but I don't know how much I would be missing if Sinai didn't run on this schedule this past year. (I can't imagine a 8-1 schedule)

Our anatomy professor was just featured on PBS, and so was our Micro prof. The guy who teaches the metabolism block of our biochem class is amazing. You guys will be the second class to enjoy the new research building, which should be a year old when you guys start school. We have great board scores (235 average). Heck, you even get free hot/iced coffee/tea as a med student everyday till you graduate!

I'm surprised at how underrated Sinai was to me when I was applying, but now I'm back on SDN I really want to spread the word that this is an awesome med school and you're cool for applying here : )

Thanks! Is there anything in particular that you dislike about the school?

Wow, this is pretty awesome, thanks!

I too am looking to pre-write some secondaries.

Shhhhh! Keep that on the down low until NEXT application cycle!

Submitted my primary today. What essay prompts did Mount Sinai give out last year?

What should I know about Mount Sinai's application procedure?

Wow, this is pretty awesome, thanks!

I too am looking to pre-write some secondaries.

1. What makes you unique, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community? (suggested 250 words or less)

2. Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai. (optional, suggested 200 words or less)

Hell Yes to easy questions :) (Easy in a sense that you won't get writer's block! lol)

I've heard Mount Sinai has classes 10-4 every day. Is this true? That would be a big turn off, since I like lectures, but need independent study time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Is there anything in particular that you dislike about the school?

1. We don't have a bound syllabus like some med schools do - the lectures are more or less the same every year, but it's harder here if you like learning out of printed text and a detailed syllabus. There's next to nothing that you need (or in fact, can) read here, and a lot of studying involves printing out the slides, listening to the lectures/taking notes, and figuring out what's important/what's not (with the help of some consolidated study guides from previous years). There's little "hand-holding" here.

2. We don't have lot of practice questions available for each exam, so it's harder in terms of self-evaluation.

3. Molecules and cells (the biochem class first semester) is really boring if you have a science background coming in. The classes get a lot more interesting towards second sem.

My biggest qualm is really the bound syllabus thing, since I don't see why schools like UCSF can have all their lectures compiled and we have to carry around piles of printed slides. Otherwise, the classes have their share of good and not-so-good lecturers, but with way more interesting lectures than boring ones. I can't really complain about all that much.

EDIT: I am also kind of jealous of schools that have an attached undergrad/bigger campus because they have their own gym+pool! I love swimming but I have to go to the dinky Y (which Sinai gives us free passes for, but still, it's the Y :p)

Last edited:
I've heard Mount Sinai has classes 10-4 every day. Is this true? That would be a big turn off, since I like lectures, but need independent study time.

Mount Sinai generally has lectures running beginning from 10, which may end at 12, 1, 2, 3, or 4, depending on the day. 4 refers to the latest the MD schedule is permitted to run (to accommodate for MPH and other grad classes).

To be honest, I stopped going to any form of non-required lecture beginning from January* and I just watched everything online (we have full downloadable video files that you can speed up to 1.3 or whatever speed you prefer on VLC player). This comes out to generally 4-5 required activities a week, or maybe 5-6 hours in class.

* This is not as uncommon (or radical) as it sounds.

Haha so far, I like what I am hearing about Mount Sinai

I also want to put in a word for our student-run clinic, EHHOP (East Harlem Health Outreach Partnership). When Mount Sinai won the Community Service Award from AAMC in 2009, this clinic was at the centerpiece of it all. One of the most unique things about Mount Sinai is that we are located at the border of two NYC neighborhoods with diametrically opposite health outcomes. The Upper East Side with one of the best health indicators in the city, and East Harlem, which ranks last or in the bottom 10% for most health indicators (c.f. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/data/data.shtml). As such, Mount Sinai kind of took East Harlem "under its wing" and opened our free clinic exclusively to East Harlem residents. There are basically only three requirements for enrollment - you have to live in East Harlem, you are an adult, and you do not have insurance. The patient then is ushered through a series of consultations, beginning from social work to the medical consultations and specialty referrals to the main hospital, if necessary - all done at EHHOP.

All of this is made possible by a diverse team of senior clinicians (3rd and 4th years), junior clinicians (1st and 2nd years), clinic managers, teaching seniors (the "leader" who kind of runs the clinical show and sees to it that the other seniors know what they're doing), attendings (who verify the findings of the seniors before they sign off on their medication orders), and development staff. Each week, the clinic unfolds in a carefully choreographed show - on Wednesday, the clinic managers divvy up the scheduled patients, making phone calls reminding patients that they have an appointment that week, making changes if necessary. On Thursday and Friday, the teaching senior goes over the patients, drafting a plan for each patient (just like what residents do before rounds). On Saturday, clinic happens - the clinic managers (CMs) arrive first at 7, followed by the teaching senior (TS), followed by the seniors and juniors, and finally followed by the attendings who arrive around 10 or 11. Patients arrive at 9, and there's a steady flow until 12. The last patients usually leave clinic by 2, and everyone leaves in the reverse order by 3 or 4. The clinic managers and the TS continue to monitor the EHHOP phone (it's a cell phone that we pass around between CMs) and follow-up on the concerns of patients until Wednesday, when everything gets passed on to the next clinic team.

When I first came to Sinai, I held a pretty skeptical view of EHHOP, as I thought, "Student free clinic?! Pfft every med school has one of those..." It was only until I started being heavily involved in it I saw how this clinic was different from a lot of the other ones that I had seen/heard about. The med students running the show are REALLY committed to these patients, and they are constantly trying (and actively) improving and building on the clinic. We have student-run QICs (Quality Improvement Councils) that use data-driven methods to improve delivery of care at the clinic by making policy modification suggestions, which is then voted on by the steering committee. I am also impressed at the sheer number of people that are involved in the clinic and the rotating schedule that runs almost entirely glitch-free week to week.

It is my opinion that if you want to do something, stick to it and do it really, really well. For me, I think Mount Sinai has really outdone itself with EHHOP, and it should be something that you ask around about on your interview day - the faculty and anyone involved in the clinic would love to talk about it.

I also want to put in a word for our student-run clinic, EHHOP (East Harlem Health Outreach Partnership). When Mount Sinai won the Community Service Award from AAMC in 2009, this clinic was at the centerpiece of it all. One of the most unique things about Mount Sinai is that we are located at the border of two NYC neighborhoods with diametrically opposite health outcomes. The Upper East Side with one of the best health indicators in the city, and East Harlem, which ranks last or in the bottom 10% for most health indicators (c.f. http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/data/data.shtml). As such, Mount Sinai kind of took East Harlem "under its wing" and opened our free clinic exclusively to East Harlem residents. There are basically only three requirements for enrollment - you have to live in East Harlem, you are an adult, and you do not have insurance. The patient then is ushered through a series of consultations, beginning from social work to the medical consultations and specialty referrals to the main hospital, if necessary - all done at EHHOP.

All of this is made possible by a diverse team of senior clinicians (3rd and 4th years), junior clinicians (1st and 2nd years), clinic managers, teaching seniors (the "leader" who kind of runs the clinical show and sees to it that the other seniors know what they're doing), attendings (who verify the findings of the seniors before they sign off on their medication orders), and development staff. Each week, the clinic unfolds in a carefully choreographed show - on Wednesday, the clinic managers divvy up the scheduled patients, making phone calls reminding patients that they have an appointment that week, making changes if necessary. On Thursday and Friday, the teaching senior goes over the patients, drafting a plan for each patient (just like what residents do before rounds). On Saturday, clinic happens - the clinic managers (CMs) arrive first at 7, followed by the teaching senior (TS), followed by the seniors and juniors, and finally followed by the attendings who arrive around 10 or 11. Patients arrive at 9, and there's a steady flow until 12. The last patients usually leave clinic by 2, and everyone leaves in the reverse order by 3 or 4. The clinic managers and the TS continue to monitor the EHHOP phone (it's a cell phone that we pass around between CMs) and follow-up on the concerns of patients until Wednesday, when everything gets passed on to the next clinic team.

When I first came to Sinai, I held a pretty skeptical view of EHHOP, as I thought, "Student free clinic?! Pfft every med school has one of those..." It was only until I started being heavily involved in it I saw how this clinic was different from a lot of the other ones that I had seen/heard about. The med students running the show are REALLY committed to these patients, and they are constantly trying (and actively) improving and building on the clinic. We have student-run QICs (Quality Improvement Councils) that use data-driven methods to improve delivery of care at the clinic by making policy modification suggestions, which is then voted on by the steering committee. I am also impressed at the sheer number of people that are involved in the clinic and the rotating schedule that runs almost entirely glitch-free week to week.

It is my opinion that if you want to do something, stick to it and do it really, really well. For me, I think Mount Sinai has really outdone itself with EHHOP, and it should be something that you ask around about on your interview day - the faculty and anyone involved in the clinic would love to talk about it.

You make me so excited to apply to this school, especially since I heard a lot about the EHHOP program. I've read a lot about Mt. Sinai too and their dedication to community service is one thing that stuck out a lot. Thanks for this! Hope to come here.

Can someone comment on the degree to which Mt. Sinai likes non-science majors? It seems like they're highly favored from everything I've seen/read?

Can someone comment on the degree to which Mt. Sinai likes non-science majors? It seems like they're highly favored from everything I've seen/read?

Well, the general rep that Mount Sinai has towards non-science majors comes from the HuMed program, where non-science majors can apply for early admission to med school (without needing to take the MCAT). I'd say there's probably just as many students who are from non-science backgrounds as there is with science in our class, if you count those who had a major/minor in humanities as also someone who's from a non-science background. The school itself is also very committed to the more "human" side of medicine (e.g. bioethics, health reform...etc - we just got an email lauding the SCOTUS decision of the ACA). I would not, however, say that they are at an advantage either. They're just definitely not at a disadvantage.

Just wondering. Is EHHOP working on changing this criteria or adjusting it because of the national healthcare requirement from Obamacare? Or are the people treated at this clinic of lower incomes and would be part of the exceptions?

EHHOP sounds like something great to me. I know many medical schools have free clinics, but I never knew some had such high commitment and participation from medical students. I've always told myself that when I become a doctor I will devote a few weeks to a month every year to give free medical service to those in need. However, something like this will allow me to make the same commitment even while studying in medical school.

Does Mount Sinai accept AP credit. For math, I have AP credit for Calc I, and then took Calc II at my University...anyone know if this is acceptable?

when does mount sinai give out secondary apps?

hopefully they'll be getting it out soon! can't wait to submit my last 2 secondaries and be done with it xD

hopefully they'll be getting it out soon! can't wait to submit my last 2 secondaries and be done with it xD

haha lucky you! I still have 9 more...and waiting for news is even more agonizing!

Agree. Only have 4 left, and haven't gotten any new ones in a few days. Just want to be done with them so I can play some Battlefield/Diablo 3. Oh yeah, and prepping for interviews too I guess.

I'm having troubles logging into the Supplemental Application Portal. I entered my e-mail address and my AAMC ID as the password, but I still can't login. Any suggestions?

I'm having troubles logging into the Supplemental Application Portal. I entered my e-mail address and my AAMC ID as the password, but I still can't login. Any suggestions?

is there a "forgot password" option?

Just received the secondary. Verified 7/3. 3.7+, 35+.

Prompt 1:

What makes you unique, someone who will add to the Mount Sinai community?

(Suggested 250 words or less)

Prompt 2:

Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.

(Suggested 200 words or less)

Prompt 3:

Yer mug ;)

Have fun, ladies and gentlemen!

If you have a committee letter do you just add the name of the person who write the committee letter?

If you have a committee letter do you just add the name of the person who write the committee letter?

"Note for MD and MD/PHD applicants, your letters of recommendation have been received. Embark will upload your AMCAS profile and letters of recommendation."

I don't think you have to do anything for the LOR section.

"Note for MD and MD/PHD applicants, your letters of recommendation have been received. Embark will upload your AMCAS profile and letters of recommendation."

I don't think you have to do anything for the LOR section.

I just skipped over the MD part...lol my bad!

Here is the essay.

For the photo, did anyone actually upload a 3x4 (or smaller) photo? My face looks really blurry when I hit the "preview" button because it resizes it to a full page.

Here is the essay.

Missed a few, here's the whole list:

Have you previously applied to Mount Sinai School of Medicine?
Have you, in past years, applied to any other medical school?
If yes, please explain.

Were there any gaps in time, post-secondary school, or greater than one month duration, except summer vacations, that are not accounted for anywhere else on your application?
If yes, please explain.

Were there any circumstances which you feel might have adversely affected your academic performance during college?
If yes, please explain.

Indicate the reasons for your specific interest in Mount Sinai.
(Suggested 200 words or less)

Status
Not open for further replies.