2008-2009 Albert Einstein Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed with a student host...it's very convenient as the apartment buildings are located right across from the admissions office. Also, you get a chance to see how and where you will be living as a med student.

Yes, but my previous experiences with student hosts have left me sleeping on a small sofa with no blanket or on the floor with a sleeping bag and a towel as my pillow...as a result, I'd prefer a hotel for my final interview of the season. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Any hotel recommendations? The interview email says Radisson is the closest, but I just checked on Google maps, and it's quite far. I'd prefer to be able to walk from the hotel to the school, if possible.

Thanks!

when are you interviewing?

Yes, but my previous experiences with student hosts have left me sleeping on a small sofa with no blanket or on the floor with a sleeping bag and a towel as my pillow...as a result, I'd prefer a hotel for my final interview of the season. :)

That's why you have to check with student hosts in advance if you have to bring your own blanket or pillow :) I hear you though... At Einstein I ended up sleeping in their "living room" which is basically a tiny place adjacent to entrance door... so I slept surrounded by other people's shoes and coats :) but that's part of experience, I guess. My student host was very nice though, we went out for a dinner, and she told me a lot of useful stuff about the school. Plus, once again, it's right across from the school, which is important when it's freezing outside (on the day of my interview it was like 10 degrees and very windy).

But yeah, if you want to finish your interview season in style ;) I would go for a fancy hotel...of there is such a thing in South Bronx.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys!

I asked a friend of mine who went to the school if the host rates you, and he said something along the lines of "Why else would they require you to email your host request to them and then they find you a host." Makes sense that they would work it this way so they know who stayed with whom, and can check back on it.

Also something to keep in mind: apparently the student hosts rate you :)

what can they possibly rate you on other than if you're rude or not?
"Do not accept this person, because she takes too long in the shower"?

I hear the admissions office also owns and monitors security cameras all over the Bronx to spy on your behavior during your entire stay ;)

Seriously, though, I just need to find a hotel within walking distance of Einstein!

Sangria: For the sake of anonymity (assuming I haven't been identified yet), I'll PM you that info.

hmm... i guess my post did sound a tad paranoid. :scared: doh!!

i heard they also analyze your cell phone conversations for three months post-interview... that's they have been taking so long with the decisions.

Everyone watch what you say... AECOM is listening....

good luck with your interview. they are super chill and relaxed.

I hear they send Chuck Norris in to spy on you. =)

i emailed Dean Kerrigan and was told i'll know aorund April 23rd. I interviewed on 25 Feb.

i emailed Dean Kerrigan and was told i'll know aorund April 23rd. I interviewed on 25 Feb.

that's good to know.:thumbup:

btw. is that the date when a batch of decisions are sent out or it only refers to ur app?

i don't know, but it's more likely to refer to a bunch of applications rather than just mine.

Members don't see this ad :)
does aecom accept letters of intent, and to whom can they be sent to?

yah they do. i sent mine to my interviewer by snail mail (because he gave me his address, not his email) and i emailed one to Dean Kerrigan, who replied soon after, acknowledging it.

looks like ae dropped quite a bit on usnews. thoughts?

it's quite a hit. anyone have any speculations?

Doesn't matter much. It's like saying Harvard dropped a few spots, but they're still considered an ivy school. I wouldn't stress too much over US News rankings. That shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether any school is a best fit or not.

it's not a main factor, but it'd be naive to say it's not a factor at all

Regardless of the USNews Ranking, Einstein is still my #1 choice. I had a great connection when I visited 2x (interview & in the area revisit). I hope I get some waitlist love soon, crossing fingers. Sigh-

BTW, does Dean Kerrigan acknowledge all LOI? I sent one, but haven't gotten a response. I sent it via e-mail to her inbox and one by snail mail to her office. I think I'm just paranoid, but not too sure if I should re-send another one--probably won't. Hmm...com'on Einstein. My relative went here and I want to continue the tradition. :cool:

it's quite a hit. anyone have any speculations?

by what measure are you surmising this "quite a hit"?

your speculations could be as good as any. and hey, maybe next year they'll be back up 5 spots. and in my opinion, once they finish filling the price center completely, they will lure in more researchers/grant money and move up again next year.

by what measure are you surmising this "quite a hit"?

your speculations could be as good as any. and hey, maybe next year they'll be back up 5 spots. and in my opinion, once they finish filling the price center completely, they will lure in more researchers/grant money and move up again next year.

i think people are overrating the price center a little bit...many schools are building new research facilities. it's sort of expected and nothing unique.

yah they do. i sent mine to my interviewer by snail mail (because he gave me his address, not his email) and i emailed one to Dean Kerrigan, who replied soon after, acknowledging it.

What is the e-mail address you sent it to?

what is the usual wait time for a response.... i am going on 7 weeks here!

what is the usual wait time for a response.... i am going on 7 weeks here!

hmm... seems like the last acceptance date was 3/27 for people who interviewed on 2/20 - afterwards it has either been waitlisted/rejected.

haven't heard anything...10 weeks for me here

for those that have been accepted, did any of you get info on financial aid yet?

I withdrew. Hard to turn down this school, Dr. Dannis is an amazing guy and sold the school well. Good luck to the accepted and the wait listers.

Do we Know how the waitlist works for Einstein yet? Will we not find out until after the May 15th date when moore movement happens?

From my interview, the first years said that last cycle there were 2 waitlists - high priority and regular.

Do we Know how the waitlist works for Einstein yet? Will we not find out until after the May 15th date when moore movement happens?

From my interview, the first years said that last cycle there were 2 waitlists - high priority and regular.

I heard that as well, but I have not heard of anyone being placed on a high priority waitlist this year. I could be wrong but I am thinking there is not 2 waitlists this year.

I heard that as well, but I have not heard of anyone being placed on a high priority waitlist this year. I could be wrong but I am thinking there is not 2 waitlists this year.

I want to edit my previous statement - it's the "highly favorable", not "high priority" list.

Anyhoow, my friend just told me she was put on the "Highly Favorable" list recently.

That makes me sad. Can your friend confirm this? I haven't heard of a separate waitlist for this year. Sigh...Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon. Einstein, show me some love!

Last edited:
That makes me sad. Can your friend confirm this? I haven't heard of a separate waitlist for this year. Sigh...Hopefully I'll hear some good news soon. Einstein, show me some love!

I hear ya, sushi. it's been 7 weeks for me and still nothing. My friend (not on SDN) emailed admissions about status recently and got back a reply saying she is highly favored and will hear something soon.

Just came back from class to a waitlist letter. Interviewed in mid-march.

sorry to hear that. Hopefully it moves a lot!

I got an email this week from Einstein saying my app was favorably reviewed and they were wondering what my "level of interest" was in the school...kinda weird I thought?

Anyway it was exciting to know a rejection letter isn't in the mail. Einstein seems like a great school so I hope they take me!

sorry to hear that. Hopefully it moves a lot!

I got an email this week from Einstein saying my app was favorably reviewed and they were wondering what my "level of interest" was in the school...kinda weird I thought?

Anyway it was exciting to know a rejection letter isn't in the mail. Einstein seems like a great school so I hope they take me!

thanks, corduroy. When do you have to respond to them by?

I wonder how people who interviewed early and got waitlisted in January can check to see which waitlist they are. It seems like early interview waitlisters got the regular waitlist, not indicating whether it was highly favorable or not. And the wait continues, the plot thickens, and the stress elevates. I hope I hear some good news soon. I really want this one.

I wonder how people who interviewed early and got waitlisted in January can check to see which waitlist they are. It seems like early interview waitlisters got the regular waitlist, not indicating whether it was highly favorable or not. And the wait continues, the plot thickens, and the stress elevates. I hope I hear some good news soon. I really want this one.

hmm, did you write a letter of intent after you were waitlisted?

Yep, sent it to Dean Kerrigan via email and regular mail. I didn't get a confirmation that it was received or not, though. So, not sure what to do next. Hopefully, the admissions office replies to the email I sent last Friday, concerning my status. Were you able to receive the favorable waitlist mail Dyz? Good luck to you, perhaps we'll be classmates if luck swings our way :)

Yep, sent it to Dean Kerrigan via email and regular mail. I didn't get a confirmation that it was received or not, though. So, not sure what to do next. Hopefully, the admissions office replies to the email I sent last Friday, concerning my status. Were you able to receive the favorable waitlist mail Dyz? Good luck to you, perhaps we'll be classmates if luck swings our way :)

I thought I had a great interview, since my interviewer said I have a great app, but ultimately, I was put on the regular waitlist. -.-

I'll most likely draft up a letter of interest to Dean Kerrigan and see where that takes me. Good luck to us!! :luck::luck:

Yea my interview in early september was amazing. One of my best and the conversation kept flowing. Interviewer introduced me to her research colleges. and...waitlisted in January, hehe. Good luck to us! :D

Yea my interview in early september was amazing. One of my best and the conversation kept flowing. Interviewer introduced me to her research colleges. and...waitlisted in January, hehe. Good luck to us! :D

This sucks, esp since they take ppl off the highly favorable list first before getting thru the normal waitlist. Here's to hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.