2008-2009 Albert Einstein Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'd highly recommend letting the admissions office know that you are going to be in the area and specifically what dates you would be able to interview. Let them know that you are trying to consolidate your interview travels. I did this earlier in the year and I'm pretty sure it got me an extra interview (somewhere else.) They may have been planning to interview me anyway, but just later on. At the very least it cut down on an extra trip. I don't know anyone that has tried it at Einstein.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'd highly recommend letting the admissions office know that you are going to be in the area and specifically what dates you would be able to interview. Let them know that you are trying to consolidate your interview travels. I did this earlier in the year and I'm pretty sure it got me an extra interview (somewhere else.) They may have been planning to interview me anyway, but just later on. At the very least it cut down on an extra trip. I don't know anyone that has tried it at Einstein.

Good luck.

I tried it at Einstein, and i think it worked, although I'm not sure, since I am actually going on a separate trip there, because the dates around my other interview were not available

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if einstein is still interviewing?

I got an invite on the 19th and am now scheduled for April 24, so the answer is yes I guess. An interview that late sounds like an interview for a waitlist spot though. :(

I guess they haven't sent out any decisions yet.

Question:
i got an invite on the 19th and am now scheduled for april 24, so the answer is yes i guess. An interview that late sounds like an interview for a waitlist spot though. :(

Answer:
i interviewed at einstein last week. At the end of the day after everyone's interview, they have dr. Dannis' special tour of the surrounding area. I'd highly recommend it if you are planning to interview. It doesn't fill up or anything, so you can go even if you don't reserve a spot like the emails say.

anyway, dr. Dannis said that each year einstein has to accept to 500 students in order to fill their class of 185-ish. This isn't the norm for med schools. The school surveyed students asking why they were passing up einstein... The answers were 1) cost and 2) the bronx. So that was kind of the point of the tour, to see that the bronx isn't horrible like everyone thinks. He also told us that in mid-january, about 180 acceptances were sent. The remaining three-quarters or so would be offered between february and april. He emphasized the fact that we weren't interviewing for a waitlist spot. If you get an interview, even in march, i'd suggest not worrying that it is for a waitlist spot.

good luck everyone....

does anyone know if the admissions office is closed for spring break or something? I've been invited for an interview, and e-mailed them about something, a week later there's still no response. I guess I'll have to call on Monday

Is there anyone else who still has not heard from Einstein that interviewed before Feb 20th?

I interviewed earlier that week and have not heard anything.

anyone know when financial aid is getting sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone else who still has not heard from Einstein that interviewed before Feb 20th?

I interviewed before Feb 20 and haven't heard from Einstein yet...I liked the school, but I've got plenty of other options, so I'm not killing myself over it...whatever happens, happens for a reason, so I'm just waiting patiently for my decision :)

I interviewed before Feb 20 and haven't heard from Einstein yet...I liked the school, but I've got plenty of other options, so I'm not killing myself over it...whatever happens, happens for a reason, so I'm just waiting patiently for my decision :)

hmm..i know that decisions are on a rolling basis after jan 15 but i didn't realize it was this congested.

anyone know when financial aid is getting sent out?

not too sure, but it should be pretty soon... I was asked to apply for a scholarship that would "reduce expenses by a considerable amount", and the deadline for that application is April 10! :eek:

I interviewed in early December and still have not heard back, I have no idea why, my file is complete they just cant seem to make up their mind. I call once a month to ask whats up, get yelled at and told to wait another 4 weeks. The person I talked to told me no news is good news, but I am skeptical, and a bit exasperated with them.

I interviewed Feb 24. So it seems like I could hear next week, or a month from now :confused:.

I know the interview invite e-mail gives a lot of options, but what have you guys found to be the easiest way to get from the airport (JFK or is another one better?) to the school?

I know the interview invite e-mail gives a lot of options, but what have you guys found to be the easiest way to get from the airport (JFK or is another one better?) to the school?

La Guardia is closer (plus at JFK you are almost 100% guaranteed to have your flight delayed when you leave) and then I just took a cab to the school from the airport. i think it was like 26 bucks?

I flew into JFK and took airtrain to midtown manhattan to my hotel ($5.00 cost, then $2.00 for subway) .On the morning of the interview, I took a bus from midtown (which stops pretty much everywhere) and it took me litterally to the front door step of the school. I did lots of research on this for my interview because I wanted to reduce costs as much as possible. Then did the same thing to get back to jfk.

Hope this helps

I interviewed in early December and still have not heard back, I have no idea why, my file is complete they just cant seem to make up their mind. I call once a month to ask whats up, get yelled at and told to wait another 4 weeks. The person I talked to told me no news is good news, but I am skeptical, and a bit exasperated with them.

Wow that's outrageous! I was hoping to hear in a week or so

La Guardia is closer (plus at JFK you are almost 100% guaranteed to have your flight delayed when you leave) and then I just took a cab to the school from the airport. i think it was like 26 bucks?

That cheap? Was there traffic or anything and how long did that take?

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I flew into JFK and left from Laguardia. Laguardia is a lot closer to the school and easier by way of public transit. The subway ride from JFK to the school was just over two hours.

Also, google maps now has a public transit trip planner, which I found REALLY useful. Just put in your start and end points like normal and then click the little public transit icon.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say that I'll be withdrawing from AECOM soon. Has anyone else already withdrawn? Did you just send an e-mail to Dean Kerrigan? Thanks in advance and good luck to those of you who are still waiting to find out from AECOM!

Anyone heard anything?
Its nearing the 8 week mark for me.

Anyone heard anything?
Its nearing the 8 week mark for me.

Hitting my 12th week mark here :) And not stressing about it too much...although it would be nice to get an acceptance some time soon :) Or maybe they forgot about me?

Hitting my 12th week mark here :) And not stressing about it too much...although it would be nice to get an acceptance some time soon :) Or maybe they forgot about me?

That's great you are so patient! I wish I could be. Did you call them? I plan on calling as soon as my 8 weeks are over.

Deposits will be due soon at housing for places I'm accepted at and I think AECOM is my 1st choice. I'd like to figure this out soon!

anyone file/get financial aid packages yet? how long do they take? generous or stingy lol?

That's great you are so patient! I wish I could be. Did you call them? I plan on calling as soon as my 8 weeks are over.

Deposits will be due soon at housing for places I'm accepted at and I think AECOM is my 1st choice. I'd like to figure this out soon!

Would calling really help? I guess if they had a decision, they would let me know already...Yeah, housing deposits, I probably have to worry about this too....although I can't even decide where I want to go...and in any case I would probably try to find roommates to rent something nice, yet affordable off campus...although at Einstein on-campus housing is the only reasonable option.

I have an afternoon interview coming up soon (at 2pm), and the e-mail says that the interview day will be over at 5:00 at the latest. Are there mandatory things I have to do after the interview, or is it possible to leave earlier so that I could catch a flight back home?

I have an afternoon interview coming up soon (at 2pm), and the e-mail says that the interview day will be over at 5:00 at the latest. Are there mandatory things I have to do after the interview, or is it possible to leave earlier so that I could catch a flight back home?

For my interview, the day was over after the interview, which lasted about an hour. So calculate that and see if you are able to arrange a flight home. Because of that email, I ended up staying that night, but I could have easily made a flight back home that evening.

Good Luck!

Sorry to hear that:(....if you don't mind can you tell me when you interviewed and how you got your decision (snail mail, email etc.)???

Snail mail, small envelope.

Interviewed Feb 24, received letter April 12, letter signed April 3.

I've read some of the posts here, but I'm still a bit confused... I got an interview invite roughly 10 days ago, and scheduled for next week.

I get that admissions are rolling, and I would LOVE to go to Einstein, but am I just wasting my time at this point? Again don't get me wrong, I"ll be there bright and shining, but the chances can't be good right? And I'm not exactly the big numbers candidate either!

Sorry to hear about that cubssox

So do people hear good news by email and bad news by snail mail?

I've read some of the posts here, but I'm still a bit confused... I got an interview invite roughly 10 days ago, and scheduled for next week.

I get that admissions are rolling, and I would LOVE to go to Einstein, but am I just wasting my time at this point? Again don't get me wrong, I"ll be there bright and shining, but the chances can't be good right? And I'm not exactly the big numbers candidate either!

They didn't give an indication that i'm interviewing for a waitlist, but i figured that I'm not going to worry if I am and still go.
I think that if a school can't accept anymore people, but really like you, they can just put you very high on the waitlist

Probably not the most considerate reaction....

And why not? I would prefer to know where I stand... rather than hang in there for months hoping...and at the end it still might be a disappointment, which will hurt even more after waiting for so long.

I have a very hard time deciding on a med school right now, and not having an answer from Einstein complicates it even further...so I think at this point in the game a definite answer might be better than no answer at all...

And why not? I would prefer to know where I stand... rather than hang in there for months hoping...and at the end it still might be a disappointment, which will hurt even more after waiting for so long.

I have a very hard time deciding on a med school right now, and not having an answer from Einstein complicates it even further...so I think at this point in the game a definite answer might be better than no answer at all...

trying to convey that you're worse off than someone that is clearly upset about something just strikes me as not very sympathetic...

trying to convey that you're worse off than someone that is clearly upset about something just strikes me as not very sympathetic...

All I was trying to convey is that cubssox is better off now that he has the decision. I'm not sure if I was even trying to be sympathetic, just realistic. Sometimes it's better to give people an honest prospective rather than polite but meaningless sympathy.

All I was trying to convey is that cubssox is better off now that he has the decision. I'm not sure if I was even trying to be sympathetic, just realistic. Sometimes it's better to give people an honest prospective rather than polite but meaningless sympathy.

No harm done. I understand where your coming from. Maybe it is better to know than to be waiting.

As for calling the school, you should. When I was there the secretary answered the phone and the person on the other end clearly asked what happened to his letter because it had been too long. The secretary looked up the persons file and told them straight out that they were rejected. So if you call, they will probably tell you.

Hey all,

Any hotel recommendations? The interview email says Radisson is the closest, but I just checked on Google maps, and it's quite far. I'd prefer to be able to walk from the hotel to the school, if possible.

Thanks!

No harm done. I understand where your coming from. Maybe it is better to know than to be waiting.

As for calling the school, you should. When I was there the secretary answered the phone and the person on the other end clearly asked what happened to his letter because it had been too long. The secretary looked up the persons file and told them straight out that they were rejected. So if you call, they will probably tell you.

I did call them. They said I just have to wait a little longer... This week was a Passover week, so committee didn't meet. But hopefully next week, they will finally make a decision on my controversial candidacy :)

Hey all,

Any hotel recommendations? The interview email says Radisson is the closest, but I just checked on Google maps, and it's quite far. I'd prefer to be able to walk from the hotel to the school, if possible.

Thanks!

I stayed with a student host...it's very convenient as the apartment buildings are located right across from the admissions office. Also, you get a chance to see how and where you will be living as a med student.

Status
Not open for further replies.