2008-2009 Creighton Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine.
Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition.
Please limit your response to 2000 characters (approx. 250 words).

Members don't see this ad.

Recommendations may take the following form(s), and need to be submitted by January 15, 2009, to the Office of Medical Admissions through the AMCAS recommendation letter service.
Please note: The Admissions Committee prefers letters of recommendation from full-time faculty members. (**Please review the definition of a science recommendation letter below.)
Pre-Health Committee (Option A):
If your institution has a Pre-Health Committee, please ask the pre-medical advisor to submit a "Committee Letter" of recommendation on your behalf. This letter will fulfill your letter of recommendation requirements.
If your institution submits a packet of individual letters on your behalf, the packet is considered equivalent to a "Committee Letter," and will fulfill your letter of recommendation requirement.
Three Letters of Recommendation (Option B):
If your institution does not have a Pre-Health Committee, please have three letters of recommendation from faculty submitted on your behalf. We ask that two of the letters be submitted by science** faculty and one from a non-science professor. Recommenders are asked to disclose in which of their course(s) you were enrolled.
These letters may be submitted in one of the following forms:
Form 1:

• One letter from your pre-medical or pre-health advisor
  • One letter from a science professor
  • One letter from a non-science professor
Form 2:

• Two letters from science professors
  • One letter from a non-science professor
Non-Traditional Applicants:
If you have been away from university studies for three or more years please have three letters of recommendation sent from persons familiar with your recent scientific work or study experience.
**Science Recommendation letters are accepted from full-time faculty from the following departments:

• Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Physics
  • Mathematics
  • Engineering
Recommendation letters from full-time faculty members from other departments will be considered Non-Science Recommendation letters.

Well let me help you out with that first essay; you're only gonna need one word: Dedikated2liftn...you can thank me later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the secondary today!

So what sucks is that I worked ahead of time on the essay prompts and they changed the second prompt from last year's!!! argghh, oh well, Im still excited about the secondary!

in the second question it asks how you've become more appreciative of the human condition... what do you all think it means by that? to me, it's kinda vague. i just don't wanna write an essay that doesn't address the prompt.

Whats up with schools asking....why did you apply to school x...or why do you want to come here....ummm DUHH to become a Doctor...

in the second question it asks how you've become more appreciative of the human condition... what do you all think it means by that? to me, it's kinda vague. i just don't wanna write an essay that doesn't address the prompt.

I think they are asking what you have done to help mankind...be it volunteering at a nursing home or tutoring others...stuff like that. They want to know what you have done to help others. The sucky thing is is that most of us have talked about that in our PS...at least I did. :D

Whats up with schools asking....why did you apply to school x...or why do you want to come here....ummm DUHH to become a Doctor...

haaha! I was just thinking that! What kinds of answers are they expecting? I think it would be boring reading those essays..."I want to come to x school because it is such a great school and will prepare me for a medical profession..." duh!

I think its referring to human nature. The "condition of humanity", what make a person, a person and how you have had experiences which enable you to address these issues in a medical practice. Think frailty, emotion, spirituality, etc. which embody humanity. That's my take on it anyway

haaha! I was just thinking that! What kinds of answers are they expecting? I think it would be boring reading those essays..."I want to come to x school because it is such a great school and will prepare me for a medical profession..." duh!
haha..all of mine so far have contained I want to come to school X because of World renowned professors, state of the art facilities, helpful class, etc. haha

thanks for the quick responses starstup and rockydoc... my interpretation, however was pretty much along the same lines as what you had though rockydoc, with an emphasis on what makes each and every person unique in their own way

Members don't see this ad :)

No...do not underestimate the importance of this question; it's critical in determing "fit" in the eyes of the adcom (especially at Creighton). Additionally, it serves to weed of the indiviudals who may be applying to the school as a safety (typically people who are doing this will not have as genuine/researched a response). For any secondary that asks this question, I recommend referring to the MSAR or the school's website to get an school-specific idea of what to write about (granted your values align with the schools).

Is anyone reaching the character limit in the second essay??

It seems like with all of my secondaries I am always past the character limit and end up having to cut things out and reword things. I am always under when I do it in word, but it always says its to long when I paste it.

Like with the first one, in word it was like 1950 characters, and Creigthon said it was almost 2200 characters...grr.

It seems like with all of my secondaries I am always past the character limit and end up having to cut things out and reword things. I am always under when I do it in word, but it always says its to long when I paste it.

Like with the first one, in word it was like 1950 characters, and Creigthon said it was almost 2200 characters...grr.

are you using firefox? i had the same problem, so i switched to internet explorer, and then I had no character problems.

are you using firefox? i had the same problem, so i switched to internet explorer, and then I had no character problems.
no im on internet explorer....its alright though, I submitted a few hours ago.

so for the second question, are you guys just picking to either talk about being sensitive to other cultures OR the human condition? Is anyone writing about both? I know the prompt says "or"......

I think its referring to human nature. The "condition of humanity", what make a person, a person and how you have had experiences which enable you to address these issues in a medical practice. Think frailty, emotion, spirituality, etc. which embody humanity. That's my take on it anyway

My idea of what the second prompt is looking for also goes along side rockydoc's thoughts. I think it's looking for your insight on what it means to be treating the patient as a whole person, and not just the illness. Being sensitive to other factors that may influence their lives such as ethnic culture, financial situation, lifestyle. And describing any experiences that may reflect that understanding.

This is just my thought. Good luck!

I am complete!!!!!!!!:D

Yeah that was key switching browsers, Mozilla overestimates your actual word count by a factor of 3. Good call periwinkle.

ignore this, administrative stuff

My idea of what the second prompt is looking for also goes along side rockydoc's thoughts. I think it's looking for your insight on what it means to be treating the patient as a whole person, and not just the illness. Being sensitive to other factors that may influence their lives such as ethnic culture, financial situation, lifestyle. And describing any experiences that may reflect that understanding.

This is just my thought. Good luck!

awww mann I totally thought the human condition referring to the variety in human conditions, healthy/sick, rich/poor and an experience with the underserved changed your perspective...good thing I checked SDN before submitting! :D
I think Creightons second question is similar to Georgetown's prompt about the Jesuit tradition of cura personalis i.e. caring for the whole body.

Also is anyone talking about both the human condition and other cultures (it says or)?

For their secondary, when they say 2000 characters do they mean with our without spaces?

With spaces, but err on the short side when you are drafting. When you paste into the app, the number always seems too high.

awww mann I totally thought the human condition referring to the variety in human conditions, healthy/sick, rich/poor and an experience with the underserved changed your perspective...good thing I checked SDN before submitting! :D
I think Creightons second question is similar to Georgetown's prompt about the Jesuit tradition of cura personalis i.e. caring for the whole body.

Also is anyone talking about both the human condition and other cultures (it says or)?

Good eye. And also SLU's questions. I wrote Georgetown's essays first and that was really helpful :laugh:

So Creighton has been pretty silent for quite some time now. Anyone know when they will start another round of interview invitations??

I got an invite from them yesterday at 4PM EST

Creighton is only offering days for interview up till October 24th. I have no more days to take off from work though, does anyone know if they will let you pick a day later than what they are offering if you give them a good reason. I am going to call them by the end of the week no matter what, but I was wondering if someone had done this already? Thanks

Creighton is only offering days for interview up till October 24th. I have no more days to take off from work though, does anyone know if they will let you pick a day later than what they are offering if you give them a good reason. I am going to call them by the end of the week no matter what, but I was wondering if someone had done this already? Thanks

would you mind givin some of your stats?? (including when you were complete?)

would you mind givin some of your stats?? (including when you were complete?)

I was complete August 14th because my letters were held up till then. I have a 36 MCAT, 3.3 ugrad with 4.0 SMP.

Good luck!

I just said that the dates they were offerring wouldn't work for me and they allowed me to sign up for dates that were not included on their website. They were offerring through Sept 26 and I was allowed to schedule for Oct 10. I did this through email...

I just said that the dates they were offerring wouldn't work for me and they allowed me to sign up for dates that were not included on their website. They were offerring through Sept 26 and I was allowed to schedule for Oct 10. I did this through email...

Thanks a lot, I appreciate the help :thumbup:

Interview Invite!!!! Finally after over a month of silence! I was complete on 8/14 although I submitted my app in July and sent my letters August 5th.

I feel your pain...like I said I had one quick interview and then 3 rejections, 2 waitlists, and heard nothing positive till now.

I'm an M1 at Creighton and just wanted to say best of luck to all those with interview invites. See ya soon.

I feel your pain...like I said I had one quick interview and then 3 rejections, 2 waitlists, and heard nothing positive till now.

Ahhh I know!! This is seriously the best news I've received yet. Creighton is definitely one of my top choices. Anyone else scheduled for 10/10??

Does anyone know if Creighton offers student hosts?

Does anyone know if Creighton offers student hosts?

Yes they do, but they charge you 40 dollars a night. You also get transportation to and from the airport apparently.

This is from their e-mail about it

"The Hosting Program offers an alternative to paying for a hotel room. You will have the opportunity to stay with a current medical student for up to 3 nights. You will receive transportation to and from the airport, bus, or train station as well as to the interview on Friday. One of our goals with the Hosting Program is to provide you with a relaxed atmosphere that will allow you to enter the interview day stress-free. Most importantly, you will see what life is really like as a medical student. The cost is $40 per night, and is payable by checking/savings account or by credit card, both through PayPal."

40 bucks for a student host??? wow, they really love there prospective students!

40 bucks for a student host??? wow, they really love there prospective students!

I was dumbfounded when I read that...I have never heard of such a thing. Maybe we will get some filet mignon and a nice bottle of wine

Status
Not open for further replies.