2008-2009 Florida International University (FIU) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah they just invited way too many people. I know they wanted to make sure they had enough students but seriously if you have 40 spots just interview 100 people or so and call it a day.

remember that they are only giving 10 scholarships, so there might be 10 ppl that are going to go there for sure, but what about those other 30 spots, if is a good applicant, they might had received acceptences somewhere else, how do you make sure that those 30 spots will attend if u r a brand new program. I agree with you that they interview a lot of ppl but i think they could had interviewed like 250 and see how many say yes and then decide how many more to interview.

Members don't see this ad.

yeah i must agree...this is an interesting scenario for those folks yet to hear anything (myself included).

I have been speculating A LOT these past 6 months as to the fate of my decision at FIU...and it has brought me nothing but stress.

Currently, my hypothesis is that for those pending a decision--the odds don't seem to stack up that well. As others have said, they have 40 seats and conducted approximately 400 interviewers (is that accurate?).

Being that others before us have already received waitlist status (which is like saying that they have a pending acceptance should anyone decide to withdraw from their seat...because why would you waitlist someone if you didn't feel they were qualified to attend your program?), I think that my odds upon re-evaluation will result in a waitlist at best...and if that waitlist already has a bunch of people on it from previous decisions made earlier on, I don't feel like I would be able to make it into the program.

In short, I am simply trying to rationalize my situation into a much less stressful set of circumstances, and this was my attempt at finding peace of mind (despite the less than optimistic outcome).

I agree 100% but my rationale is simpler:

My interview group was about a dozen (don't remember for sure) + they do this every week for the next 6 months = Hundreds of applicants

Hundreds of applicants + 40 seats = :thumbdown:

I agree that FIU should have probably interviewed a larger number of applicants per seat relative to other schools given that the school is new, many ppl with multiple acceptances will probably pass on the school due to its lack of accreditation, and the ridiculously large tuition cost for OOS.

Nonetheless, to interview 400+ ppl for just 40 seats is still excessive. They should have tightened the selection criteria as well as better informed applicants in MSAR and in the preinterview stage about its accreditation and OOS tuition. I know a lot of OOS ppl in my interview pool lost interest in FIU once we were told about the OOS tuition cost. Moreover, given the status of most ppl on the FIU forum, I am starting to wonder if they have actually even rejected anyone post interview despite their claims.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am looking at the "Fees" value as found on the cost of attendance page of the FIU website. However, I have compared this value ($6,139 for in-state and $7,620 for out-of-state) with some other institutions and was wondering if anyone would have any guesstimates as to why this value is so inflated?

*Note that these fees are seemingly distinct and separate from tuition.

I am looking at the "Fees" value as found on the cost of attendance page of the FIU website. However, I have compared this value ($6,139 for in-state and $7,620 for out-of-state) with some other institutions and was wondering if anyone would have any guesstimates as to why this value is so inflated?

*Note that these fees are seemingly distinct and separate from tuition.

No idea. Maybe it has something to do with them being new.

No idea. Maybe it has something to do with them being new.
I have no idea either. I was looking at how their cost of attendance broke down and I was quickly finding out that a lot of those estimates of the cost of living are grossly inflated. I think that I could possibly survive out there at under $67K/yr as an out of state student. The only thing that keeps bumping that price tag up (that I can't control) is that large amount neccesary(?) to cover fees.
All I can think that the fees payment covers might be an Athletic Fee and a Health Insurance Fee...

I just hope that "computer fee" which they said would be about 2000 of the 6k of fees will end up at least being a nice computer. I don't wanna shell out 2k and go to school using a freakin asus or some old school comp from 1994 that weighs like 34 pounds.

I just hope that "computer fee" which they said would be about 2000 of the 6k of fees will end up at least being a nice computer. I don't wanna shell out 2k and go to school using a freakin asus or some old school comp from 1994 that weighs like 34 pounds.

I would hope that this computer fee included a palm/PDA style computer in addition to a laptop. From what I've heard, it is actually very common to require such devices for Medical students...or so I'm told.

Would be very nice to hook us up with a BlackBerry Bold :D

I would hope that this computer fee included a palm/PDA style computer in addition to a laptop. From what I've heard, it is actually very common to require such devices for Medical students...or so I'm told.

Would be very nice to hook us up with a BlackBerry Bold :D

very good idea. :thumbup::thumbup:

To those who were accepted:

Did you get an email from the AMCAS background check service before you were notified of your acceptance?

I just got this email today and from what I hear, it is an ominous sign of acceptance from one of the participating schools...

Did you get an email from the AMCAS background check service before you were notified of your acceptance?

I just got this email today and from what I hear, it is an ominous sign of acceptance from one of the participating schools...

I dont really remember, But i know (since it happened to me) that if u get it, it means that u got accepted to atleast one school that uses the background check.

I got the acceptance email first. The beginning of the email read as follows:

"I just wanted to officially confirm receipt of your admissions paperwork and your $200 deposit. I have changed your classification on AMCAS to accepted. This will trigger a communication from AMCAS with instructions on how to proceed with your Criminal Background Check."

So i guess that you are accepted somewhere but they just haven't notified you yet. How many schools did you apply to that used the cbc online system?

I got the acceptance email first. The beginning of the email read as follows:

"I just wanted to officially confirm receipt of your admissions paperwork and your $200 deposit. I have changed your classification on AMCAS to accepted. This will trigger a communication from AMCAS with instructions on how to proceed with your Criminal Background Check."

So i guess that you are accepted somewhere but they just haven't notified you yet. How many schools did you apply to that used the cbc online system?

I applied to quite a few...but I only had decisions pending with FIU and Penn State. So it looks like its good news from Penn State (?)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe both skools accepted you
G,
hah! you sure are good at getting a guy's hopes up! thanks for your support though. Right now, I am just learning to let go of FIU. My best logical defense right now to make this pass quicker is that I've already 'been there and done that' (in ref to undergrad). And I know I won't be as concerning with the cost of attendance anywhere else...

G,
hah! you sure are good at getting a guy's hopes up! thanks for your support though. Right now, I am just learning to let go of FIU. My best logical defense right now to make this pass quicker is that I've already 'been there and done that' (in ref to undergrad). And I know I won't be as concerning with the cost of attendance anywhere else...

i dont know if this applies to you, but, my friend got a waitlisted letter yesterday and he didnt get the CBC email.

i dont know if this applies to you, but, my friend got a waitlisted letter yesterday and he didnt get the CBC email.
muy interasante chemolupus...
creo que no hay mas sillas en la clase. which is why your friend got a WL letter =/
I spoke with someone in admissions yesterday and she said to expect a letter in the mail after I told her that I had already interviewed. I think they filled the class up already.

yep i got a waitlist letter in the mail the other day

muy interasante chemolupus...
creo que no hay mas sillas en la clase. which is why your friend got a WL letter =/
I spoke with someone in admissions yesterday and she said to expect a letter in the mail after I told her that I had already interviewed. I think they filled the class up already.

From what i heard, not all the seats are taken. remember that there still a number of ppl rejecting the offer and others r just holding seats until may. They told me that there will be no movement on the wailist until march or so.

Yeah remember the deposit was only 200 dollars so I know a lot of people who got in and don't want to go will hold that seat until march 15 or w/e the deadline is on multiple seats. I wouldn't be surprised if half the seats open up on that date.

Yeah remember the deposit was only 200 dollars so I know a lot of people who got in and don't want to go will hold that seat until march 15 or w/e the deadline is on multiple seats. I wouldn't be surprised if half the seats open up on that date.

Deadline is May 15th.

did you also get an email from AAMC regarding the criminal background check?

if you didn't--then I think it's safe to say my 'acceptance' came from Penn State.

well no but i already got the criminal background check email for an earlier acceptance about a montha go

I interviewed in mid October. Waitlisted in January. Praying that people decide not to risk it with a 1st year school whose facilities aren't done. I want to go to FIU more than anything else in the world! :oops:

I interviewed in mid October. Waitlisted in January. Praying that people decide not to risk it with a 1st year school whose facilities aren't done. I want to go to FIU more than anything else in the world! :oops:

How do you know that you have been waitlisted?

How do you know that you have been waitlisted?

I got a letter in the mail just over a week ago. Then I confirmed it with the admissions office. The good news is that they said they still have spots open. The bad news is that they don't anticipate much movement until May 15th. So now I sit and wait.... [insert anxious sigh] :xf::)

I got a letter in the mail just over a week ago. Then I confirmed it with the admissions office. The good news is that they said they still have spots open. The bad news is that they don't anticipate much movement until May 15th. So now I sit and wait.... [insert anxious sigh] :xf::)

They didn't happen to say how many people they plan on putting on said waitlist, did they?

Just curious. I haven't gotten a letter or anything but goodness I hope I don't get post-interview rejected. That would be really sad (and my first one)!

man...i interviewed in september and have yet to hear word yet.
i don't know whether this is a good or bad thing now...

When I called them on Friday, they said that if you have not heard a decision yet, they haven't completely reviewed your file post-interview. I even told them that I interviewed in late September, and they still said this was the case. They cited being swamped with apps and what not as the reason for this. In fact, they still are interviewing applicants according to the person I spoke with. What's interesting is how they can waitlist/accept people who interviewed later than I did, yet still claim they have not fully reviewed my file...?

They told me to not expect a decision until late February. From what I've read on this thread, it seems a lot of us are in the same boat. Guess all we can do at this point is wait it out yet another few weeks.

...I haven't gotten a letter or anything but goodness I hope I don't get post-interview rejected...

When I called them on Friday, they said that if you have not heard a decision yet, they haven't completely reviewed your file post-interview. I even told them that I interviewed in late September, and they still said this was the case. They cited being swamped with apps and what not as the reason for this. In fact, they still are interviewing applicants according to the person I spoke with. What's interesting is how they can waitlist/accept people who interviewed later than I did, yet still claim they have not fully reviewed my file...?

They told me to not expect a decision until late February. From what I've read on this thread, it seems a lot of us are in the same boat. Guess all we can do at this point is wait it out yet another few weeks.

I am running with the theory right now that they are currently holding our files due to our competitive applications. I am hoping that the reason they havent decided on us yet is because they are thinking of granting us an acceptance, but would just like to see the rest of the applicants interview before they do that.
So maybe, once everyone is interviewed and the AdComs convene, they will offer us an acceptance or waitlist at worst.
But that is me being optimistic. Because I also know that they haven't sent out rejections post interview as of yet. Which means that we could very well be sitting on the other side of the fence.
I could bounce back and forth on this all day long...and none of my speculations will serve any benefit to anyone. Le sigh...I'm just hoping Penn State accepted me so I relax a little bit.

Just withdrew! Interviewed and was ignored. So ha! I reject them, not the other way around. :shifty:

To anyone who has been accepted already, I read somewhere the deposit was $200, is that correct? And do you remember how long you had to get it in?

To anyone who has been accepted already, I read somewhere the deposit was $200, is that correct? And do you remember how long you had to get it in?

Yeah it was 200 dollars but I think I had a month to get it in. I don't remember exactly.

:(

bad news guys...
I withdrew my application from any further consideration this morning.
A lot of factors played into this decision (money is unfortunately a large one), but I know it's the right one to make at the end of the day (or beginning since I did it this morning).
Well I guess this could be good news for many of you still awaiting a decision. :thumbup: I wish you the best of luck.

I still believe FIU is going to be an incredible school...and if they had notified me earlier of an acceptance, I don't think I would have even went on my Penn State interview.

But I am happy things worked out they way did or I don't think I would have realized just how great a fit Penn State is for me.

For those of you still waiting: GOOD LUCK!

:(

bad news guys...
I withdrew my application from any further consideration this morning.
A lot of factors played into this decision (money is unfortunately a large one), but I know it's the right one to make at the end of the day (or beginning since I did it this morning).
Well I guess this could be good news for many of you still awaiting a decision. :thumbup: I wish you the best of luck.

I still believe FIU is going to be an incredible school...and if they had notified me earlier of an acceptance, I don't think I would have even went on my Penn State interview.

But I am happy things worked out they way did or I don't think I would have realized just how great a fit Penn State is for me.

For those of you still waiting: GOOD LUCK!

Congrats on your decision to attend Penn State! I wonder how many potential students FIU will lose because they dragged their heels.

I also succumbed to the temptation and called the office, they confirmed that if you haven't heard anything your file is still being reviewed and you should hear something in the next few weeks. Her tone didn't sound particularly optimistic about said news, but I may be reading too far into that.

I also succumbed to the temptation and called the office, they confirmed that if you haven't heard anything your file is still being reviewed and you should hear something in the next few weeks. Her tone didn't sound particularly optimistic about said news, but I may be reading too far into that.

Or her tone could come from having hundreds of people calling and asking about their app status. I would get sick of that, too! :p

And "next few weeks" means that it's going to be maybe 4 months post interview by the time I hear. That's really absurd. Like, really ridiculous.

And "next few weeks" means that it's going to be maybe 4 months post interview by the time I hear. That's really absurd. Like, really ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree. We all are going to run out of things to talk about by the time we all hear back. haha

I agree too... it is already February, this waiting game is too much!

Does anyone know when the Adcom meets? I thought it was every other Thursday, but I may be getting schools confused at this point.

Ok, the most amazing thing happened today. If you guys go back to this thread you will see that i said that i have been accepted for an interview through e-mail on July 30th. Fortunately for me, i've been accepted at another school which i preferred more than FIU but i still wanted to see if they would ever remember to call me to set that interview up ( I would have denied it at once). But after all of that, i recieved today my rejection letter in which they say the same BS of having too many competetive applicants and they were not able to offer me an interview. I have to say that throughout this application cycle, i never laughed as much as i did when i read this letter. I can never imagine what would me feelings be like if i didn't hold that acceptance.:laugh::laugh:

Ok, the most amazing thing happened today. If you guys go back to this thread you will see that i said that i have been accepted for an interview through e-mail on July 30th. Fortunately for me, i've been accepted at another school which i preferred more than FIU but i still wanted to see if they would ever remember to call me to set that interview up ( I would have denied it at once). But after all of that, i recieved today my rejection letter in which they say the same BS of having too many competetive applicants and they were not able to offer me an interview. I have to say that throughout this application cycle, i never laughed as much as i did when i read this letter. I can never imagine what would me feelings be like if i didn't hold that acceptance.:laugh::laugh:

I feel the same way when I get the preinterview rejection letters from schools like NYMC(no offense to ppl that got into or are going to NYMC) after getting invites and acceptances to top tier schools. FIU sends out the same type of generic BS letter that most schools send to rejected applicants. However, I have to admit that UCSF sends out a really nice rejection letter. I actually felt good after getting the rejection letter at UCSF unlike most other schools' rejection letters, which essentially say Im unqualified to go to their school.

The deposit was a non-refundable $200. I got the acceptance email on 12/16 and the deposit was due by 1/7 (could have been so long because it was over the holidays).

I feel the same way when I get the preinterview rejection letters from schools like NYMC(no offense to ppl that got into or are going to NYMC) after getting invites and acceptances to top tier schools. FIU sends out the same type of generic BS letter that most schools send to rejected applicants. However, I have to admit that UCSF sends out a really nice rejection letter. I actually felt good after getting the rejection letter at UCSF unlike most other schools' rejection letters, which essentially say Im unqualified to go to their school.

It is not only that. They actually sent me an interview invitation last July which they totally forgot about somehow.

It is not only that. They actually sent me an interview invitation last July which they totally forgot about somehow.

EXACT same thing happened to me. Invited early August, rejected yesterday.

Months ago, I thought, "Wow, if it takes them this long to send me an email for interview dates, they must really not want me anymore." Their loss.

i have to admit, they did a horrible job at setting the interviews and acceptences. I know they were inexperienced because it was their first year. But they should had paid more attention to the applicants and be more pacient. They gave away too many invites and then they ended up with their hands too full. I wonder how is it gonna look for the next year.

Supposedly they will be sending out massive amounts of decisions this month, so could this be the week? My fingers are crossed!

Got this in the mail today, postmarked 2/5/09. I interviewed at the end of January (just a week and a half ago) fwiw.

"After a careful review and discussion, the Admissions Committee for the College of Medicine has reached a decision on your application. You have been placed on the "Alternate Wait List" for the Inaugural Class starting in August 2009"

Status
Not open for further replies.