2008-2009 Penn State College of Medicine Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interfolio overnighted my letters to the AAMC on Friday and they arrived on Monday. I got a status update today (4 e-mails, one per letter) saying they were received. 3 days...
Well you're lucky then. The website says wait at least 15 business days upon arrival. The general trend has been 12-15 business days after they were sent. Interfolio also sends them to AMCAS electronically, so they get them right away. They just sit in some magic folder where they decide to wait two weeks to enter them.

Members don't see this ad.

How long did it take for you guys to become complete with Penn State? I submitted, but my status hasn't changed in over a week (LOR should be in via AMCAS).

Hi folks. I added Penn State today, and I'm still waiting to get their secondary. If I remember correctly however, there is an essay geared specifically towards reapplicants that they had on last year's app. Can anyone tell me what the question was and the word count on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well you're lucky then. The website says wait at least 15 business days upon arrival. The general trend has been 12-15 business days after they were sent. Interfolio also sends them to AMCAS electronically, so they get them right away. They just sit in some magic folder where they decide to wait two weeks to enter them.

We'll see just how lucky I am this time around. USF told me I needed a 5th, peer, letter to complete my application (they only go through AMCAS LOE). So today I mailed in the letter here in DC so it should take a day or two to get to AMCAS. Hopefully they'll be just as fast. :) I'll keep you guys posted on their turnaround for that...

We'll see just how lucky I am this time around. USF told me I needed a 5th, peer, letter to complete my application (they only go through AMCAS LOE). So today I mailed in the letter here in DC so it should take a day or two to get to AMCAS. Hopefully they'll be just as fast. :) I'll keep you guys posted on their turnaround for that...

Got the same email from USF, and sent the peer letter to AMCAS, they took 1.5 months previously to "receive" my letters from Interfolio, I am not so optimistic about this one happening any quicker. I even included the AMCAS cover letter with it. ;/

I accidentally screened my secondary out via spam mail, could any one post the link for the website? Thanks a bunch!

Interfolio overnighted my letters to the AAMC on Friday and they arrived on Monday. I got a status update today (4 e-mails, one per letter) saying they were received. 3 days...

I did the same thing! but I still haven't gotten a status update.

Has anyone else gotten one?

Same here, it says "we will notify you by email" but its been like 2 weeks already.

I had to send in another letter for USF (peer letter). It was mailed on Monday, July 28th. Arrived to AMCAS on July 30th (per AMCAS e-mail) and today (Aug 5th) it was processed. Took them 4 business days.

i submitted everything two weeks ago, and my status online still says they are waiting to confirm whether or not i'm complete.. anyone had the same thing happen ? is penn state behind or anything ? i can't figure it out.

i submitted everything two weeks ago, and my status online still says they are waiting to confirm whether or not i'm complete.. anyone had the same thing happen ? is penn state behind or anything ? i can't figure it out.

I submitted everything two weeks ago as well (7/24) and still no e-mail saying I'm complete and I have the same status online.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied a few years ago, they only reviewed and checked your application for all the components as they decided whether or not extend an interview invitation. I wouldn't fret - they are just beginning the new school year - they will catch up soon.

i sent in my secondary the last week in july and they just sent me an email that i'm complete a few days ago .. so does this mean they are now deciding whether or not to give me an interview ?? don't worry guys you'll be complete soon !!! good luck :)

Hey, I submitted my AMCAS to Penn State 5 days ago. I haven't received a secondary yet although I'd really love to submit it soon... did it take a while before everyone got theirs??

Hey, I submitted my AMCAS to Penn State 5 days ago. I haven't received a secondary yet although I'd really love to submit it soon... did it take a while before everyone got theirs??

are your AMCAS verified? Penn state was definitely not one of the first few schools I got secondaries from so I'd wait a week or two after being verified before worrying.

are your AMCAS verified? Penn state was definitely not one of the first few schools I got secondaries from so I'd wait a week or two after being verified before worrying.

Ok. Yeah, AMCAS was verified back in July; Penn State is just one of the later batches of school I'm applying to... and would like to get over with before the semester starts! :scared:

Submitted my secondary app on 7/25, PSU website just says my app is complete and currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee and I will be contacted by mail/phone during the next several weeks with its decision. Bleh....I want to know now lol

goodness, i want my secondary application already!

Ooh thanks!! I can definitely work on it now but wait to submit until they officially send me a note.

Brevity is the soul of wit. I actually this it's brilliant.
I liked the 50 word essays better, too. It was easier to give answers that were straight to the point than to try to fill a space with 500+ words.

I submitted WAY BACK WHEN as well, and I STILL have this message. Has yours changed?

Submitted my secondary app on 7/25, PSU website just says my app is complete and currently being reviewed by the Admissions Committee and I will be contacted by mail/phone during the next several weeks with its decision. Bleh....I want to know now lol

Wtf, I submitted my secondary on the 22nd, and I still have the "we don't know if your app is complete" status. When I emailed them about my app, they just sent me the generic "we have rolling admissions and review apps in the order we receive them." What a load of crap.

Wtf, I submitted my secondary on the 22nd, and I still have the "we don't know if your app is complete" status. When I emailed them about my app, they just sent me the generic "we have rolling admissions and review apps in the order we receive them." What a load of crap.

Ditto. I submitted on 7/24 and same deal.

Hmmmm....have all your LOR's/committee letter been received? Only thing I can think of really...some of these medical schools have some antiquated systems for their secondaries, I'm sure some funky things can happen. I'd call for sure and see what the deal is...

Hmmmm....have all your LOR's/committee letter been received? Only thing I can think of really...some of these medical schools have some antiquated systems for their secondaries, I'm sure some funky things can happen. I'd call for sure and see what the deal is...

Penn State uses the AMCAS system, don't they? All the other schools I've applied to that use the system have had my letters since mid July, including UIC, which is supposed to be notoriously slow.

Penn State uses the AMCAS system, don't they? All the other schools I've applied to that use the system have had my letters since mid July, including UIC, which is supposed to be notoriously slow.
I was referring more to their application than the LOR's, I know they use AMCAS, yes, so I guess maybe it's something internal at PSU with the processing of their secondary??

Is it worth applying if I don't have a non-science LOR? I have 6 total LOR's, 3 from BIO, 1 form oranic teacher, 1 from pharmacists I work for and 1 from ophthalmologist I shadowed. Will this be ok?

Is it worth applying if I don't have a non-science LOR? I have 6 total LOR's, 3 from BIO, 1 form oranic teacher, 1 from pharmacists I work for and 1 from ophthalmologist I shadowed. Will this be ok?

i had a similar question and i emailed them about it. basically they said to send all the letters that you have and then they will pick the ones that they need. im not sure if they are going to be that picky about it.

im still waiting for the email confirmation that my application is complete. this is really taking a lot time!
i submitted the penn state secondary on 8/2 and sent letters out on 8/19. hopefully this starts to pick up.

I'm in the same boat as you, I sent my app the same day I received it on 8/1, and my letters were sent through virtual eval on 8/4. I still have yet to have a complete file...

Received my interview invite today!!!!!!! Wooo hoooo!!!!!!! Good luck everybody :)

Why are posters here saying they "sent" their letters to Penn State? I thought they use the AMCAS LOE service, which is just a database the school accesses when it wants to. That's what the 4 other AMCAS LOE schools did for me. I didn't have to "send" anything. Hopefully Penn State isn't expecting me to actually mail out letters separately now...

Why are posters here saying they "sent" their letters to Penn State? I thought they use the AMCAS LOE service, which is just a database the school accesses when it wants to. That's what the 4 other AMCAS LOE schools did for me. I didn't have to "send" anything. Hopefully Penn State isn't expecting me to actually mail out letters separately now...

well this is the way that my undergrad does this:
all the letters are sent directly to my undergrad school and once all the letters are received my premed office sends the letters to amcas and to the other schools that i have selected. those letters get uploaded onto the virtualevals page, by my premed office still, and then the schools get some sort of confirmation saying that they have new letters from an applicant and they can download them from there.

i dont know if other schools do this differently. but since penn state is doing that new loe school thing, then all the letters go to just amcas and penn can then access it.

hope that makes sense.

Enjoy your time there. The people are nice and the interviews were easily the most laid back interviews I had at a school.
Thanks wilco, I can't wait...I need to call tomorrow to schedule a date and time, and then get prepared for this first interview of the cycle :)

i got put in the re-review pile .. bummer . whatever , at least it wasn't a rejection ?
also, it seemed like from the letter that penn state isn't interested in any updates to your application aside from requested official transcripts? is this true ?

Does anyone know if having an immediate family member at the school helps your chances at PSU med? I know question #4 on the secondary asks it but I was wondering if anyone knew of any cases. I have a sibling who is currently a student at the school.

i got put in the re-review pile .. bummer . whatever , at least it wasn't a rejection ?
also, it seemed like from the letter that penn state isn't interested in any updates to your application aside from requested official transcripts? is this true ?

yea, me too. this is my second hold and now I'm even more worried. Is it too early to send a letter of intent?

Come on Penn State!! Mark me complete already!

FINALLY Complete (submitted 7-28).

Sorry about the hold Nellia. Regarding updates, I emailed them and asked if it was ok to send in a grade update (this was before I was complete). They responded with a very nice email:

"Thank you for your email. Yes, you may send updates to us via either email or through the postal service, whichever you prefer. Please let us know what else we can do to help and thank you for your interest in Penn State College of Medicine.
Sincerely,
Mady Fleck
Admissions Staff"

So, I would guess that there is no harm in sending in an update after review either.

Status
Not open for further replies.