2008-2009 Penn State College of Medicine Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email on my status: The Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications and evaluates them on a random and rolling basis. The Committee wishes you to know that your application is a high priority, and it will definitely contact you as soon as a decision is made.

Is this just a generic message or should I actually expect to hear soon?

I just received an email on my status: The Admissions Committee reviews all completed applications and evaluates them on a random and rolling basis. The Committee wishes you to know that your application is a high priority, and it will definitely contact you as soon as a decision is made.

Is this just a generic message or should I actually expect to hear soon?

Same here. I think it's just to keep us from bugging them.

I got the email too. I've had the same review message for more than four months now. This school is ridiculous.

I called today and the lady said that if you haven't heard in 6 weeks after you were marked complete, they would let you know whats going on with your app. I have only been waiting for 3 weeks so she didnt give me any info, but for any of you who have been waiting longer than 6 weeks post-completion, give them a ring

I called today and the lady said that if you haven't heard in 6 weeks after you were marked complete, they would let you know whats going on with your app. I have only been waiting for 3 weeks so she didnt give me any info, but for any of you who have been waiting longer than 6 weeks post-completion, give them a ring

I've been complete since August 1st and I haven't received anything. I didn't get that email that some of you have been getting. And everytime I call, they can tell me nothing except to keep waiting. The screener still has your application. :mad::mad::thumbdown:thumbdown

Just wanted to say good luck to everyone still waiting! :luck:

It feels like the waiting goes on forever... I sent in my secondary 9/15, was not marked "complete" until 11/13 and got an interview invite on 11/25 :) Keep the faith!

has anyone who has gotten an interview invite been taken off the "pre-interview hold" list ? have we decided whether or not there is any hope once you have been placed on it ? ugh.

Not really sure about the pre-interview waitlist. I'm assuming a few will, keep your hopes up. They seem to be really backed up right now. They normally are supposed to send interviewees a final decision within 6-8 weeks but its taking closer to 12 weeks for some people right now. Just be patient. On that note, did anyone get an acceptance packet recently? I myself am goign into my 7th week!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry man. I'm in the same situation. You're still c/o 2013 so it's not horrible. You could still get in off the hold, after all.

I feel like I'm a decent candidate, but I think what hurt me the most is that I'm from Arkansas. They probably didn't think I would really come all the way to Pennsylvania.

I feel like I'm a decent candidate, but I think what hurt me the most is that I'm from Arkansas. They probably didn't think I would really come all the way to Pennsylvania.

I'm in the same situation too as of today, only I'm from Pa, and made it fairly clear (within reason) that PSU was my top choice. Oh well.

Sorry man. I'm in the same situation. You're still c/o 2013 so it's not horrible. You could still get in off the hold, after all.

I got the same letter. What exactly does the hold-list mean. Is this like a waitlist?

Wow that is surprising, you guys are both solid candidates. Sorry to hear that. I'm sure i'll be joining you guys fairly soon.

I got the same letter. What exactly does the hold-list mean. Is this like a waitlist?

As I understand it, it essentially means that they haven't made a decision on your application yet. Perhaps after evaluating more interviewees, will they have a better idea of which of us on the hold list they want. Then, we proceed to the whole acceptance, waitlist, rejection dynamic.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

And like I said I would be, I am joining you fine gentlemen in the "hold" party. Even after I sent a LOI. Oh well, I was kind of expecting it due to that crappy interview.

I too got the post-interview hold letter from Penn State. I was under the impression that I was deferred, since the letter implied that my application was still under active consideration. Is this the wrong impression? Does anyone know officially what the letter means?

I too got the post-interview hold letter from Penn State. I was under the impression that I was deferred, since the letter implied that my application was still under active consideration. Is this the wrong impression? Does anyone know officially what the letter means?

Someone may have answered this earlier and I just didnt see it, but is the post-interview hold letter sent by email or by snail mail?

When did you guys interview?? Mine was on Nov. 3rd - so not expecting to hear anything until sometime next week at the very earliest. With Christmas coming up, however, I'm thinking it might not be until January!!!
Long time to wait!

When did you guys interview?? Mine was on Nov. 3rd - so not expecting to hear anything until sometime next week at the very earliest. With Christmas coming up, however, I'm thinking it might not be until January!!!
Long time to wait!

Also - a lot of you mentioning holds look like awesome applicants, so I'm preparing myself to not be too disappointed..

so i got the continue to review letter from penn state today. does anyone know what this means? is this their way of rejecting ppl or do they actually send out rejection letters? if im not rejected yet, do i still have a shot at getting an invite from them? im oos applicant. thanks!

I got the same letter last year from them. I am not fully sure what all the group means, but I got the letter late Nov and then got an acceptance in April from them. I didn't do anything after the post-interview "hold."

i just got an email from penn this week saying that I was complete. They received my secondary 2 months ago!!!!

i have been complete at penn state but got a letter saying i'm in the "continue to review" category....is that pre-interview hold?....did sum1 get this letter (snail mail) and get an interview?

i have been complete at penn state but got a letter saying i'm in the "continue to review" category....is that pre-interview hold?....did sum1 get this letter (snail mail) and get an interview?

it's a pre-interview hold. I got one in...September? Haven't heard a word from them since. OOS, but currently at Penn State undergrad.

it's a pre-interview hold. I got one in...September? Haven't heard a word from them since. OOS, but currently at Penn State undergrad.

I haven't heard a peep from PSU. I was finally complete on Nov. 5th, but nothing since then.

I'm dying to hear from them. I interviewed there Nov. 5th and was hoping to find out whether I'm in or not by Christmas....

Is anyone sending their fall grades as an update? Where should I mail my official transcript to? Thanks!

Is anyone sending their fall grades as an update? Where should I mail my official transcript to? Thanks!

I emailed my grades, saying I would send an official transcript if they wanted one.

I got accepted! Interviewed 11/5, accepted on 12/23. Looks like their turnaround time is running around 7 weeks.

I emailed my grades, saying I would send an official transcript if they wanted one.

So, apparently they only take grade updates via an official transcript.

Has anyone who interviewed in late October not heard anything yet? I see that people who interviewed in November are starting to get letters and I still haven't heard anything. Is that normal??

To those who interviewed at penn state,

whats a close hotel to stay by that is reasonable and provides decent accomodation- also close to the interview site. Thanks!

To those who interviewed at penn state,

whats a close hotel to stay by that is reasonable and provides decent accomodation- also close to the interview site. Thanks!

The website has a lot of nearby acomodations like the Days Inn. They provide a free ride from the airport to the hotel and a ride to the school in the morning. They get many students there so its pretty routine. Plus they give you a ride to the airport. Plus they have a pool and jacuzzi, a small gym if you have time.

The website has a lot of nearby acomodations like the Days Inn. They provide a free ride from the airport to the hotel and a ride to the school in the morning. They get many students there so its pretty routine. Plus they give you a ride to the airport. Plus they have a pool and jacuzzi, a small gym if you have time.

I second the Days Inn. The free transportation was a lot of stress taken off my hands. Also, they hook you up with a packet of goodies (medicine, coffee, popcorn) which I thought was a really nice gesture. Free breakfast, free wi-fi, access to gym/pool, and walking distance to the Hershey Factory as well.

Penn State has about a month wait to give a decision after the interview, correct?

PS: I was just recommended the Days Inn by faculty at Penn, so it looks more and more like a good deal.

Penn State has about a month wait to give a decision after the interview, correct?

PS: I was just recommended the Days Inn by faculty at Penn, so it looks more and more like a good deal.

I was told 6-8 weeks.

Has anyone who interviewed in late October not heard anything yet? I see that people who interviewed in November are starting to get letters and I still haven't heard anything. Is that normal??

I interviewed Nov. 3rd and haven't heard yet...

I think it is generally closer/past eight weeks. I am at 8 weeks tomorrow...

I don't know how much longer I can wait... This is absurd. Has anyone heard anything recently?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.