2008 - 2009 University of Colorado Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got an acceptance today! I interviewed on Monday 11/17 and was shocked to hear so soon. Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats!! when did you turn your secondary in?

wow that was a quick turnaround, congrats! I wonder if more acceptances will come out in the next week or so for people who interviewed after the initial 10/15ish acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
i submitted my secondary kind of late, so i wonder how many acceptances they've already sent out?

I just got an acceptance today! I interviewed on Monday 11/17 and was shocked to hear so soon. Good luck to everyone.

Well done, arnee! You have any other interviews? Or is CU the one? Must have been a pleasant surprise to have a TWO DAY turnaround! You must have spun straw into gold at your interview. . . either way congratulations.

Thank you! I had my secondary in 9/18, invited for an interview on 10/20, interviewed on 11/17 and was accepted 3 days later...it absolutely floored me that I got in so soon...never expected to hear so soon...I did feel good about my interview and as a re-app I KNOW that the interview is huge to CU. It is my first choice, so hopefully i'll see you in the fall BuffGold! Best of luck to all of you...

Congrats Arnee! Does anyone know if CU sends out acceptances more than once in a month?

Thank you! I had my secondary in 9/18, invited for an interview on 10/20, interviewed on 11/17 and was accepted 3 days later...it absolutely floored me that I got in so soon...never expected to hear so soon...I did feel good about my interview and as a re-app I KNOW that the interview is huge to CU. It is my first choice, so hopefully i'll see you in the fall BuffGold! Best of luck to all of you...

That's great. I'll be there for sure, so I look forward to meeting you

CU for sure? If so, can I crash at your place in 4 years during my Colorado rotation :)

Sure, we can car pool to work and ski on the weekends (ha!).

Speaking of skiing, I wonder how many ski days/year the average (successful) CU med student gets? 5? 10? Depends on the year, I would think. . .

Speaking of skiing, I wonder how many ski days/year the average (successful) CU med student gets? 5? 10? Depends on the year, I would think. . .

We're headed that way over over the holidays (Dec 30-Jan 4th). We'll be in Breck doing lunges.

when I interviewed, one of the students who ate lunch with us said he skied every weekend last winter :)

when I interviewed, one of the students who ate lunch with us said he skied every weekend last winter :)

That's good news indeed. It helps a lot to have a place to stay up there, so if anyone does, apply to CU and get in and we will be good friends!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good news indeed. It helps a lot to have a place to stay up there, so if anyone does, apply to CU and get in and we will be good friends!

:( I have a place but I can't use it from Georgia! You need to sweet talk K's parents.

anybody else having trouble logging in to the "check my status" function on the cu website? i was logging in fine before using the password they sent, but it has not been working the past few days. any ideas?

Not working for me either so I'm guessing it's down. I'm not sure they are even there the rest of this week to fix it.

ahhh...i see. i called yesterday and they were there...although i didn't mention the issue because i figured they probably already knew and i didn't want to annoy them...

acceptance! :D

exactly a month turnaround.

acceptance! :D

exactly a month turnaround.

Congrats on your best acceptance yet! You should go to CU, forget your other acceptances (jk you are in an awesome situation, enjoy it!)

i didn't post on the acceptance page, but for reference, i interviewed 10/27, accepted 11/12. almost definitely going here. very excited! good luck to everyone

i didn't post on the acceptance page, but for reference, i interviewed 10/27, accepted 11/12. almost definitely going here. very excited! good luck to everyone

Woot!

I got an interview yesterday! I am scheduled for the 22nd of December, anyone else going to be there then?

I got an interview yesterday! I am scheduled for the 22nd of December, anyone else going to be there then?

no, but your user name indicates that you are a solid Coloradoan and you shouldn't have any issues getting your foot in the door. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm coming home then for xmas...so it was a nice treat!

interview!! in december! does anyone have advice that already interviewed?

interview!! in december! does anyone have advice that already interviewed?

Be ready to talk about ethical issues. My interviewer hammered me on the "characteristics of an ethical physician" and ethical situations between physicians and patients. CU seems to really care about this aspect and makes a point to address it. Other than that, just be yourself and relax! Most of the interviewers are extremely nice. I only had one person complain on my interview day about a bad interview.

Be ready to talk about ethical issues. My interviewer hammered me on the "characteristics of an ethical physician" and ethical situations between physicians and patients. CU seems to really care about this aspect and makes a point to address it. Other than that, just be yourself and relax! Most of the interviewers are extremely nice. I only had one person complain on my interview day about a bad interview.

Thanks for the advice! I checked out the SDN interview feedback and that seems to be a recurring theme.

Yeah, I guess. One of my interviewers asked about ethics. Not sure if this is different from any other med school though, I don't think I would say CU puts more emphasis on this than anyone else. Ethics are important to everyone.
Besides, when it comes down to it, ethical problems are easy to answer because what defines an ethical dilemma is a right vs. right situation. You just have to know that your patient's health is always your priority.

What is clear is CU's emphasis on real-world experience. This is from an email Dean Krugman sent to the UCHSC faculty and staff (forwarded to me by a friend who isn't involved in admissions decisions):
". . . Associate Dean of Admission Norma Wagoner, PhD, brought some interesting statistics about out Class of 2012 to last week's meeting of the School of Medicine Faculty Senate. From an all-time high applicant pool of 3,520 we accepted 270 students of whom 156 matriculated. Of those 156, 118 were Colorado residents. The entire entering class came from 76 colleges and universities. Seventy-seven are women; 79 are men. The youngest student is 17; the oldest is 42. Roughly 12 percent qualify as underrepresented minority students under a classification that includes Latinos, African-Americans, Native Americans, and Vietnamese. Here was a stat I found fascinating: Only 18 percent of the Class of 2012 came to us directly out of college. Real world experience makes a difference. . . "

This info was presented to us on the interview day, but reading it from the Dean emphasizes that it is something they are conscious of during admissions. This doesn't mean that they don't like new grads, just that people who have been away from school for a couple years tend to be able to acquire the types of experiences that make the admissions committe think they will become a good doctor. I felt during my interviews that my experiences, and what I got from them, were what they were really after, and this supports that. So I'd be ready to talk about yours.
:luck:

Yeah, I guess. One of my interviewers asked about ethics. Not sure if this is different from any other med school though, I don't think I would say CU puts more emphasis on this than anyone else. Ethics are important to everyone.
Besides, when it comes down to it, ethical problems are easy to answer because what defines an ethical dilemma is a right vs. right situation. You just have to know that your patient's health is always your priority.

What is clear is CU's emphasis on real-world experience. This is from an email Dean Krugman sent to the UCHSC faculty and staff (forwarded to me by a friend who isn't involved in admissions decisions):
". . . Associate Dean of Admission Norma Wagoner, PhD, brought some interesting statistics about out Class of 2012 to last week's meeting of the School of Medicine Faculty Senate. From an all-time high applicant pool of 3,520 we accepted 270 students of whom 156 matriculated. Of those 156, 118 were Colorado residents. The entire entering class came from 76 colleges and universities. Seventy-seven are women; 79 are men. The youngest student is 17; the oldest is 42. Roughly 12 percent qualify as underrepresented minority students under a classification that includes Latinos, African-Americans, Native Americans, and Vietnamese. Here was a stat I found fascinating: Only 18 percent of the Class of 2012 came to us directly out of college. Real world experience makes a difference. . . "

This info was presented to us on the interview day, but reading it from the Dean emphasizes that it is something they are conscious of during admissions. This doesn't mean that they don't like new grads, just that people who have been away from school for a couple years tend to be able to acquire the types of experiences that make the admissions committe think they will become a good doctor. I felt during my interviews that my experiences, and what I got from them, were what they were really after, and this supports that. So I'd be ready to talk about yours.
:luck:

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually just trying to find some of those stats today. Good luck with your applications!

Hey Mr. Gold,

Only 18%? Jeez! I wonder if they are taking advanced degrees into consideration when they calculated that statistic. When I went to their Pre-med day, I remember them saying there average age at matriculation is 26. Is that correct?

As for Ethics, I had ethical-type questions come up at most of my interviews and, as you noted, it's a big part of medicine. The other question that came up a lot was that of health care reform. In the next 40 years, we're most likely going to see some radical changes to our health care system...And, most of the people that I interviewed with wanted to make sure I had thought about how this might effect my practice.

Best of luck! Get that thesis done!

Hey Mr. Gold,

Only 18%? Jeez! I wonder if they are taking advanced degrees into consideration when they calculated that statistic. When I went to their Pre-med day, I remember them saying there average age at matriculation is 26. Is that correct?

As for Ethics, I had ethical-type questions come up at most of my interviews and, as you noted, it's a big part of medicine. The other question that came up a lot was that of health care reform. In the next 40 years, we're most likely going to see some radical changes to our health care system...And, most of the people that I interviewed with wanted to make sure I had thought about how this might effect my practice.

Best of luck! Get that thesis done!

I've wondered whether grad degrees are included in this too. My best guess is that they are, and the 18% is people coming straight from undergrad. They didn't give an average age this time, but the median age was 24 yrs 2 mos (median probably a better estimator anyways with a distribution highly skewed by older students).

As for your comment on health care reform being an important topic in interviews, I couldn't agree more. I was asked about it in depth during both of my interviews, be on point with this, for sure.

I've wondered whether grad degrees are included in this too. My best guess is that they are, and the 18% is people coming straight from undergrad. They didn't give an average age this time, but the median age was 24 yrs 2 mos (median probably a better estimator anyways with a distribution highly skewed by older students).

As for your comment on health care reform being an important topic in interviews, I couldn't agree more. I was asked about it in depth during both of my interviews, be on point with this, for sure.

Yep I'm seeing 18% as the "direct from undergrad" figure. Part of this likely is that many applicants are reapplicants (per my experience w/other instate applicants, colorado matriculants, + personal experience). Colorado seems to prefer this - per a classmate who'd interviewed w/med school as a college student, her feeling was that the school was strongly biased toward more experienced applicants.

Also I'd never refer to completing a grad degree as "college"; otherwise I'd say I went to college at U of X and then college at U of Y. Nope, I'd always refer to this as "earning a grad degree/attending grad school" from U of Y. I'm seeing the 18% directly from college as a reference of students entering directly from undergraduate studies.

Keep in mind that Sean is a great source for providing a feel for an app's status. Prepare to read between the lines if you speak with him.

CU.jpg

Seems about right. That is only people who had a CU committee letter, though, which may bias the data. I didn't end up getting one.

What were you listening to on pandora? And is that microsoft paint open down there too? Were you makin' a picture?

Seems about right. That is only people who had a CU committee letter, though, which may bias the data. I didn't end up getting one.

What were you listening to on pandora? And is that microsoft paint open down there too? Were you makin' a picture?

AC/DC?

If you put the "print" button while clicking having the "start" bar selected, you can take a screen shot of your desktop. I always "paste" the picture into paint and save it as a JPEG.

:)

sweet pic!!!!!
that is interesting info there. thanks for your post!!

Anybody know if December acceptances come out yet? My fingers are still crossed that I won't have to wait until March.

Anybody know if December acceptances come out yet? My fingers are still crossed that I won't have to wait until March.

Same here. I am wondering if anyone else has heard anything about December acceptances?

From what I remember, Sean Spellman said they may send out December acceptances after Monday's (12/22) interviews. So I'm assuming next week just before Christmas.

I was accepted to CU in Nov, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I also was accepted at USF in FL. Does anyone know if there is an official class of 2013 thread for CU? :)

interview tomorrow....wish me luck! nervous...

I am wondering exactly the same thing everyone else is wondering: has anyone heard back about December acceptances yet? I interviewed on 12/15 and am waiting anxiously in front of the computer. Wish everyone good luck!:xf:

I am wondering exactly the same thing everyone else is wondering: has anyone heard back about December acceptances yet? I interviewed on 12/15 and am waiting anxiously in front of the computer. Wish everyone good luck!:xf:

I interviewed today, and they said they are going to be sending out some acceptances this Wednesday.

any news today?

I also interviewed on monday and was told they would be notifying people today. well they really said "wednesday the 23rd" which screwed up my metal calendar for a while. I dont think I am a strong enough applicant to be accepted in dec but I would like to know that I can stop hopefully checking my email constantly today.

any news today?

I also interviewed on monday and was told they would be notifying people today. well they really said "wednesday the 23rd" which screwed up my metal calendar for a while. I dont think I am a strong enough applicant to be accepted in dec but I would like to know that I can stop hopefully checking my email constantly today.

I am also waiting. :xf: I think the turnaround time would be more than 2 days.

I am also waiting. :xf: I think the turnaround time would be more than 2 days.

nope...they always send it out right before xmas (i know as this is my 3rd year applying) and mr. spellmen said 4-5 of the monday interviewees would find out this week

Status
Not open for further replies.