2008 - 2009 University of Colorado Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else not hear anything? I mean I know it's a rejection coming, but this is ice cold!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else not hear anything? I mean I know it's a rejection coming, but this is ice cold!

Hey, you may be one of the few accepted who have not been notified yet. Keep your hopes up. :thumbup:

But yes, I agree. This is absurd.

I also am yet to hear, anybody want to work in Aspen for the winter and be a ski bum?

Members don't see this ad :)
My last name begins with L...do you think they are going alphabetically??

I also am yet to hear, anybody want to work in Aspen for the winter and be a ski bum?

I worked in Vail this winter after finishing school. Good decision. You can even be a ski bum and work in some clinic up there and add another positive to your app. Maybe you would even get to ice down A-Rod, who knows.

Did anyone get accepted today or just WLs and rejections?

My last name begins with L...do you think they are going alphabetically??

I was rejected today. :(:(:( My last name starts with P so I don't really know what order they are going in...

Just got the rejection email, wow that stings! But I saw it coming, after no word yesterday.

Got my e-mail at 9:40 today. Not great, but better than last year's bottom third. Now I'm just wondering what my chances are. Does any know how many people get waitlisted? Like other posts here, I've put my life on hold during the applying/waiting process. Some specific feedback would be nice, good or bad, so that I can make plans based on realistic outcomes rather than blind hope. Good luck to those that are still waiting, although I hope you don't take my spot.

I would be interested to know what the waitlist situation looks like as well. Are you going to schedule a counseling session with the admissions office? I'm would assume they'll be able to give us more complete info on our situation at one of these.

Middle third of the waitlist. Is there a separate thread for those of us who get to wait some more, or are we just hanging out here?

Just spoke with Willa about the alternate waitlist meeting. Its April 22nd, from 1-2. She didn't give much info, but said that it was to help understand our position, especially about reapplication. I'll definately be there, maybe it'll help ease the long wait ahead. Does anyone know how many are on each section or if they will tell us were we are on the list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many are on each section or if they will tell us were we are on the list?

Sean said at the interview that they won't release your position on the list because they are afraid people will call every ten minutes to see if the list moved.

My mom is driving me crazy about being rejected by CU. She is convinced that they made a mistake and wants me to call them and go to the admissions office to talk to them. :(

My mom is driving me crazy about being rejected by CU. She is convinced that they made a mistake and wants me to call them and go to the admissions office to talk to them. :(

I am really sorry about your situation. :(

Hey could you schedule a counseling appointment with the UCHSC? I think they might do them for the rejected applicants too.

yes they do counseling sessions, quite a few accepted students at UCDSOM are accepted only on the 2nd or 3rd (or more) try and the school is pretty nice about this. I attended one last year after being rejected pre-interview, and was given general advice (score higher on the MCAT), but people who'd interviewed at the school were given much more specific feedback. In addition, the school gave each person a written page with this feedback (a paragraph from the dean) and data showing the total # of applicants and the range of applicants' mcat and gpas, so that each applicant could see where they fell relative to others' score.

Finally, the school said that it was looked at very favorably to attend these sessions, and vice versa.. best of luck to all!

yes they do counseling sessions, quite a few accepted students at UCDSOM are accepted only on the 2nd or 3rd (or more) try and the school is pretty nice about this. I attended one last year after being rejected pre-interview, and was given general advice (score higher on the MCAT), but people who'd interviewed at the school were given much more specific feedback. In addition, the school gave each person a written page with this feedback (a paragraph from the dean) and data showing the total # of applicants and the range of applicants' mcat and gpas, so that each applicant could see where they fell relative to others' score.

Finally, the school said that it was looked at very favorably to attend these sessions, and vice versa.. best of luck to all!

I can confirm this. They take note of who goes to those seminars and what an individual was told at those seminars. This information is available to the following years interviewers and they will take note as to whether or not you fixed the problems that they highlighted.

I was questioned about whether I had followed up with that information, even to the point of asking for specifics and examples. in fact that made up a large portion of my first interview. Those sessions usually run during the month of June and are highly informative. Just be warned if you talk to Norma Wagoner, she will be perfrectly blunt with you.

Same here, I was asked by both my interviewers why I didn't get accepted last year, if I went through counseling with anyone at CU or not, and how I corrected it, and what I have done to improve my application in the past year. If you are reapplying: I say it is a MUST.

How long did it take, after submission of your financial aid package, for a financial aid award summary to be sent? -I was told it could take a few weeks? Is that experience shared?

I went to the meeting yesterday for alternate 2's. It was good, it was basically the same format as all of their counseling sessions, 20-30 minutes of basic info and then time for questions. Dean Wagoner wasn't able to provide specifics but did mention that 54% of currently accepted students are holding multiple acceptances. Also the financial award letter is considerably lower this year than it has been in the past, which may or may not help the waitlist move. The only problem is that they have currently accepted more than the alotted 160 seats. At one point she said 198 at another 175, so who knows. If it is 198, then 107 people will still have multiple leaving 70 seats uncertain.
With that, she did mention that the overall waitlist offer went out to 125. The only problem is that the lists are actually disproportionate. They didnt want to release the size of the lists for fear of getting peoples hopes up, but my guess was that 1st and 3rd are small comparatively and the 2nd is the majority of the list.
As for the specific comments she made individually after looking at our apps, I didn't see ayone elses but I think there was a consensus that it was particularly specific or helpful as to what we should change. It was very encouraging and her tone throughout the meeting was positive towars us.

Alright - so being a little confused initially with Default's analysis, here is an analysis of the analysis. I'm interested to know what you think, Default.

Okay, so it looks like he (assumed gender, no bias intended) means:

54% of accepted students are holding multiple acceptances.

Willa gave two numbers saying how many students are currently accepted: 175 or 198 - one of these is wrong.

Worst-case scenario for wait-listers, Colorado has accepted 198 people. If that's the case, then 54% of 198 is 107... 107 people are holding more than one acceptance.

"Default" does not mention that the other 91 people are only holding on to Colorado as an acceptance.

This could mean that 90 people are definitely going to colorado, but it probably means that 90 people will go to colorado if they don't get off a waitlist at a school they would rather go to. So, it is less than certain that there are 90 people definitely going to colorado.

This is where default probably got the number 70 -- he assumes that 90 people are definitely going to colorado, which "leaves 70 seats uncertain." This may be true, but there are probably more than 108 uncertain people (198-(90 or less)).

Getting very anxious about May 15...any other alt 2s around?

Incidentally, I talked to a friend of mine who started as an alt 2 about some specifics, and she told me that this school has a ranked waitlist, so no letters of intent or anything like that can help us. We're stuck just waiting for our number to come up.

I'm also on the alternate 2 list and went to the meeting last week. Dr. Wagoner told us 187 people currently hold acceptances at CU. 54% of which have multiple acceptances. Hopefully this will translate into a fair amount of waitlist movement this year.

We were not told the total number of individuals on the waitlist, much less how many in each of the three tiers. She did say that there were about 175 reviewed for the final waitlist. Though, I'm not sure how many waitlist offers went out. It may be 125 like Default posted. Nonetheless, we have no clue how that's divided.

If there are any folks on the alternate 1 list still around here, please feel free to post when you get your big news. It would be nice to know when the list gets moving.

Last edited:
Just curious, any ideas how many folks showed up for the alt2 meeting last week?

If there are any folks on the alternate 1 list still around here, please feel free to post when you get your big news. It would be nice to know when the list gets moving.

Will do.

I went to an alt 2 waitlist info session on 4/28, and there were also about 10 people. Were there just alt 2's at everyone's alt 2 meetings? There were some alt 1's at mine, and I'm trying to figure out if that's a good thing for my chances of being higher on the waitlist, or if I'm just desperately grasping for some hope...
She didn't give too much useful information, for me at least. Mostly just tips on making yourself more competitive, and that the interview plays a larger role in the acceptance process than it has in the past. This was my second and last attempt at med school for at least a few years, so I was just hoping to get some information about my place on the waitlist.

So from everyone's analyses it seems alt 2 is a decent place to be:
160 student class size
198 offers given (worst case scenario)
91 confirmed seats for c/o 2013(let's just say, for now, the number of people holding multiple offers but will choose CU in May equals the number that are only holding a CU offer but are alt 1's at better schools and will get offers and choose those other schools in May)
That makes for:
69 offers going to the waitlist
With 125 on the waitlist(let's say none of the waitlisters hold acceptances or are alt 1's anywhere else, to make up for any overly hopeful estimates), that means 55% of the waitlist gets offers in May. If the alternate groups are disproportionate(less than 42 people in alt 1 and 3, and I'm thinking there are probably less alt 1's than alt 3's) then a greater number of alt 2's will fall into that 55% of the waitlist. Up to perhaps 60% of the alt 2's might then get offers in May. With tuition costing more than ever for CU this year(especially for out-of-staters), this might be a real possibility. Of course this might all be completely wrong, as I haven't heard any of this firsthand and who knows how truthful the dean is being in the first place. In any case, I'm bored and my fingers aren't crossed for nothing. :xf:

Last edited:
You are definately correct, Gromble. The number of uncertain seats probably exceeds the 54% of people who hold multiple acceptances. I only counted those because those are the people who we know are still uncertain, otherwise they woud have given up their other acceptances.

Also to add to this there has been a little bit of confusion with financial award letters this year. Now those of you who have been accepted may correct me, but my sources are saying that the actual financial award letters wont go out until June. A letter was sent out stating that the awards would probably be around 500-3000 dollars per person. However, since the exact awards wont go out until after the May 15th drop day, most of the 54% will have to make their decision without that info.

You are definately correct, Gromble. The number of uncertain seats probably exceeds the 54% of people who hold multiple acceptances. I only counted those because those are the people who we know are still uncertain, otherwise they woud have given up their other acceptances.

Also to add to this there has been a little bit of confusion with financial award letters this year. Now those of you who have been accepted may correct me, but my sources are saying that the actual financial award letters wont go out until June. A letter was sent out stating that the awards would probably be around 500-3000 dollars per person. However, since the exact awards wont go out until after the May 15th drop day, most of the 54% will have to make their decision without that info.

Yeah, that's pretty much what they sent me. It says that they should be able to give out our financial aid awards on June 1st.

One thing that did surprise me though is that according to Dean Wagoner, the lists for in state and out of state are separated. So as one out of state drops, the offer for that spot must go to another out of state student. It makes sense, just never thought of it.

One thing that did surprise me though is that according to Dean Wagoner, the lists for in state and out of state are separated. So as one out of state drops, the offer for that spot must go to another out of state student. It makes sense, just never thought of it.

Hmm, are you sure it isn't alternating? If one student drops, the offer goes to an in-stater, if another drops it goes to an out-of-stater, and so on?

Hmm, are you sure it isn't alternating? If one student drops, the offer goes to an in-stater, if another drops it goes to an out-of-stater, and so on?

I think the fact that there's two lists suggests that if an out-of-state individual withdrawals, they would be replaced by another out-of-state individual. The same goes for in-state. Otherwise, I think there's no point in having two lists. I would assume that the school strives to keep a general percentage of in-state versus out-of-state students (75% or greater are usually in-state). Perhaps the easiest way to maintain that ratio is to have two lists. At any rate, everything I am saying is complete speculation and I have no clue what the actual case may be.

At any rate, everything I am saying is complete speculation and I have no clue what the actual case may be.

Haha, true - look at us trying to calculate our way out of purgatory.

Calculating out of purgatory indeed. It will be interesting to see what developments May 15 and the week after will bring.

How confident are you top tier waitlisters in getting an acceptance?

well...the hopes are definitely high.:D..in the past all top thirds have had good luck .. :)...but u never know until you get the letter:xf:...

In the past 2 years the verbiage with regard to the top 1/3 of the waitlist has not changed. Sean has said that the top 1/3rd are accepted it's just a matter of when they will receive their letter. The middle 1/3rd might or might not be accepted and the bottom 1/3rd will hopefully have better luck next year.

Has anyone heard anything from the school lately? I'm assuming (hoping) that there will be some activity now that the 15th is upon us. I'm top 1/3rd, but haven't heard anything yet... :sleep:

You'll be one of the first to find out. My friend that's currently a first year at CU was an alt 1 last year and got his offer the day of the deadline, for others I've heard it takes longer. Definitely keep us updated with your status. As an alt 2 I've been checking this thread religiously since the morning of the 15th to see if there's been any waitlist movement. From experience with this application process I wasn't expecting to hear news of offers immediately on the deadline, but was hoping to hear something at least by today. These admissions folks sure know how to build suspense...

Ok I'll keep you posted. Its crazy to think its been almost a year since we started this application process...

Mid June??? Ugh. I'm sure there's a good reason, but geez... Anyone have any ideas why such a wait?

Do you mind me asking how you know this?

I got an email this morning saying that the alt1 meeting that was originally scheduled for may 26th has been canceled, and is rescheduled for mid June. They expect to have everyone from alt1 accepted by that date. Im sure RandomZero is talking about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.