2008-2009 University of Rochester Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UVAbme2009

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received this an hour ago.

Dear Applicant:

We recently received notification from AMCAS that you are interested in receiving the University of Rochester Medical School supplemental application. We have forwarded to you via U.S. mail a copy of our brochure along with a cover letter. If you would like to complete the supplemental application prior to receiving the materials in the mail, you are welcome to. The supplemental application will be available on-line beginning July 1, 2008 at our website (http://www.urmc.edu/education/md/admissions/). Once you are at the site, you can click on "Applicant Portal" which will forward you to the supplemental application. You are not required to complete any essays on Rochester's supplemental application, just a few brief questions. The University of Rochester's supplemental application deadline is November 15, 2008 and the deadline to receive all recommendation letters is December 1, 2008. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Please note that it takes approximately 24-48 hours for the status check website to be updated after you submit your supplemental application.

Members don't see this ad.

The Rochester secondary is just one of those that you can complete in about 1 minute and then you send in a check. If you receive an interview, your application portal will have a link on it to have you fill out 3 additional things before your interview. Here's what they asked for last year:

1. List of 5 ECs
2. What interests do you hope to continue or develop as you pursue your medical education at Rochester?
3. Currently, knowing you may change your mind, what medical career pathway (academic, private practice, specialty area) are you considering, and what factors have contributed to your choice?

I'd be glad to answer questions if anyone has any! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

For the career path essay (in above post), I've written about my interest in academic medicine and answered why which has left me with the 1/2 page paragraph that they want. However, I never discuss what specialties I'm considering. Does anybody think that's necessary? I'm thinking that I'll discuss specialties I'm interested in during my interview but am not sure if I should include this in the essay. I'd appreciate any thoughts because I'll probably have to make my current essay shorter to talk about specialties. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The Rochester secondary is just one of those that you can complete in about 1 minute and then you send in a check. If you receive an interview, your application portal will have a link on it to have you fill out 3 additional things before your interview. Here's what they asked for last year:

1. List of 5 ECs
2. What interests do you hope to continue or develop as you pursue your medical education at Rochester?
3. Currently, knowing you may change your mind, what medical career pathway (academic, private practice, specialty area) are you considering, and what factors have contributed to your choice?

I'd be glad to answer questions if anyone has any! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Hi. What is the differentiation between medical pathway and interests? My guess would be #3 is general and #2 is more specific of what you hope to do as a physician but then the order doesn't make sense. Basically, what do you think it means by 'interests?'

For the career path essay (in above post), I've written about my interest in academic medicine and answered why which has left me with the 1/2 page paragraph that they want. However, I never discuss what specialties I'm considering. Does anybody think that's necessary? I'm thinking that I'll discuss specialties I'm interested in during my interview but am not sure if I should include this in the essay. I'd appreciate any thoughts because I'll probably have to make my current essay shorter to talk about specialties. Thanks :)

I would talk about as much as I can within that paragraph, including specialty. My interviewers, at least, liked that while it may not be set in stone, I had an idea of what I was doing with my life yet was remaining open-minded through the journey.

Hi. What is the differentiation between medical pathway and interests? My guess would be #3 is general and #2 is more specific of what you hope to do as a physician but then the order doesn't make sense. Basically, what do you think it means by 'interests?'

#3 is more of an "in the future..." question rather than #2. 2 is asking what are some interests you have that will mesh with the environment of Rochester. I wrote about wanting to take part in one of the Pathway programs (Latino Health or Medical Education) due to my experiences volunteering in a Spanish-speaking clinic and being a TA.

For 3, as I said above, it is more of a career oriented essay. What specialty interests you? Will this lead you to a hospital or private practice? Do you want to do academic medicine? What has happened in your life to led you to these decisions?

Hope this helps! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

P.S... I'm just finishing my first week of actual class here... so glad I came!

Last edited:
does rochester accept appeals?

Last edited:
so after being rejected (it was one of my top choices) i looked on their website and under the FAQ section found this:

Why was my application rejected?
If you were not accepted for admission and would like more information, please email the Director of Admissions, Patricia Samuelson, ([email protected]) to see how you might strengthen your application for next year.

however, when i sent an email requesting more information as per the instructions, i received this reply:

We've received your inquiry regarding your application to the University of Rochester and the final action taken by our Admissions Committee. Please understand that we receive hundreds of inquires regarding admissions decisions and do not have the time or personnel to answer each inquiry individually.

a bit misleading may i say?

Status
Not open for further replies.