2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They say that but I know that if you send them something, they will put it in your file anyway.

This is in reply to formula50's question, btw.

Members don't see this ad.

I know for a fact that they put the additional documents you send into a file and never read them or they throw them away. Your rank does not change regardless of how many emails, updates, letters etc you send. It is set in stone once you interview so don't bother the admissions office with more information- they get 10000 applications a year and don't have the time for all the extra paperwork. Once your interview is done- you can't add anything or change your score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any updates? Anyone?
I got accepted via email a week ago, but I haven't gotten the promised acceptance packet yet so I don't know how to withdrawal, accept, ect.

Probably withdrawing though, I just want to make sure there are no surprises.

just accepted today! first accept! 2nd round applying.
MCAT 36/UG GPA 3.55/M.S.

for any albany med students, what is the class schedule like for a 1st year student?

Did anyone receive their orientation packets yet? thanks!!

Does anyone know how to get in touch with a current med student at AMC in order to ask them a couple of questions...curriculum, housing, etc.? I guess as a last resort, I can call the admissions office? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

BonkersNYC and Timer58,

A few pages back on this thread there is a lot of info about curriculum and housing, etc. I would suggest looking at posts from RxnMan, Hospitalist2b and Med11312-- they are all current students and have posted a lot of great information. Also, congrats on getting in!

Has anyone else on the alternate list heard recently? I'm just trying to get a feel for how many acceptances they just sent out this week. Also, if people are withdrawing could you please let us know? It will help us keep hope alive. Thanks!

BonkersNYC and Timer58,

A few pages back on this thread there is a lot of info about curriculum and housing, etc. I would suggest looking at posts from RxnMan, Hospitalist2b and Med11312-- they are all current students and have posted a lot of great information. Also, congrats on getting in!

Has anyone else on the alternate list heard recently? I'm just trying to get a feel for how many acceptances they just sent out this week. Also, if people are withdrawing could you please let us know? It will help us keep hope alive. Thanks!
I withdrew today! GL everybody. Albany is a great school, just out of my price range.

I got in this week from the alternate list, but I'll be withdrawing as soon as I get the acceptance packet from my number 1 choice. GL everyone waiting. I really liked Albany and wish I could go here, but the price is just too much.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the updates. Congrats on getting into not only AMC but also your preferred choices! I guess I should also say thank you for freeing up the extra spots haha. Has anyone heard anything new or called the admissions office at all to see about any further movement? I tried to get a rough idea of who on Student Doctor was on the alternate list and here is what I came up with. It probably isn't entirely accurate so feel free to correct any mistakes on it. Also, if you have any updates (were accepted, withdrew, etc.) please make the appropriate changes:

Possibly on Alternate List (Last response was before 5/25):

1. Fancypants21 (last post 5/18)
  2. Jp134711 (last post 5/24)
  3. Mozilla (last post 5/20)
  4. Vballninnie (last post 5/24)
***I'm not sure if anyone here was accepted, added to the Alternate list or rejected. If any of you read this-- fill us in!

Confirmed on Alternate List:

1. Iloveboloties
  2. Aabb111
  3. Purplegiraffe
  4. Davious
  5. Zarika-- accepted, withdrew 6/16
  6. Softmed-- accepted, withdrew 6/18
  7. Timer58-- accepted? (judging by post)
  8. Bonkersnyc-- accepted? (judging by post)
  9. Formula50-- accepted? (judging by post)
  10. Robobjj-- accepted 6/14
  11. Mikezab

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the updates. Congrats on getting into not only AMC but also your preferred choices! I guess I should also say thank you for freeing up the extra spots haha. Has anyone heard anything new or called the admissions office at all to see about any further movement? I tried to get a rough idea of who on Student Doctor was on the alternate list and here is what I came up with. It probably isn't entirely accurate so feel free to correct any mistakes on it. Also, if you have any updates (were accepted, withdrew, etc.) please make the appropriate changes:

***I'm not sure if anyone here was accepted, added to the Alternate list or rejected. If any of you read this-- fill us in!

1. Iloveboloties
  2. Aabb111
  3. Purplegiraffe
  4. Davious
  11. Mikezab

I'm also on the alternate list. I emailed AMC today and they said:

Dear Piviti,

We have had some movement on the wait list, but as of this moment, the class is full. We do not know if there will or will not be any further movement on the wait list.

AMC

1. Iloveboloties
  2. Aabb111
  3. Purplegiraffe
  4. Davious
  11. Mikezab
  12. Piviti

Thanks for the update Piviti. I'm hoping that even though the class is "full" they are simply waiting on replies from accepted students (like Zarika and Softmed) and then we will get some movement again. At least that's what I'm HOPING!

4. Vballninnie (last post 5/24), withdrew

1. Iloveboloties
  2. Aabb111
  3. Purplegiraffe
  4. Davious
  11. Mikezab
  12. Piviti

yep, sorry i forgot to post- i'm on the alternate list too. it looks like the wait list isn't moving at this point, but at least it's nice to know that i'm not the only one hanging in this limbo!

yep, sorry i forgot to post- i'm on the alternate list too. it looks like the wait list isn't moving at this point, but at least it's nice to know that i'm not the only one hanging in this limbo!

Yeah, hopefully we will get a little more movement this week. Does anyone know how long you have to decide once accepted? It seems like there are a few people that have been accepted and are still trying to make decisions between schools.

1. Jp134711 (last post 5/24)
  2. Mozilla (last post 5/20)
  3. Vballninnie (last post 5/24), withdrew

1. Iloveboloties
  2. Aabb111
  3. Purplegiraffe
  4. Davious
  11. Mikezab
  12. Piviti
  13. Fancypants21

Jp134711 (last post 5/24)
Mozilla (last post 5/20)
Vballninnie (last post 5/24), withdrew

Iloveboloties
Aabb111
Purplegiraffe
Davious
Zarika-- accepted, withdrew 6/16
Softmed-- accepted, withdrew 6/18
Timer58-- accepted? (judging by post)
Bonkersnyc-- accepted? (judging by post)
Formula50-- accepted? (judging by post)
Robobjj-- accepted 6/14
Mikezab
Piviti
Fancypants21
Berkeleyvala

I just got in after fouuuuuuuurrrrr yeaaaaaarrrrrssss of applying!!!! I am so happy you don't even understand!!!!

So hang in there for all those still waiting in agony! Don't give up!!!

I just got in after fouuuuuuuurrrrr yeaaaaaarrrrrssss of applying!!!! I am so happy you don't even understand!!!!

So hang in there for all those still waiting in agony! Don't give up!!!

This is so great to hear! Congrats!

Just withdrew. Going to be going to NYMC. Needed to be closer to the city for personal reasons. Good luck!

Hey dmy02002,

Congrats! That really is awesome news. I'm glad to hear that your hard work has finally paid off. It's also nice to know that the alternate list still has some movement. Thanks Formula50 for your update as well. I hope you enjoy NYMC (and I'm sure you will). It's a great school and you can't beat being that close to NYC. To everyone else-- keep the faith!

Mozilla (last post 5/20)

Iloveboloties
Aabb111
Purplegiraffe
Davious
Formula50-- accepted, withdrew 6/30
Robobjj-- accepted 6/14
Mikezab
Piviti
Fancypants21
Berkeleyvala
dmy02002-- accepted 6/29

I am also confirmed on the alternate list.

Just received an acceptance email from the alternate's list.

34P, 3.3, 3.9 Post-bacc, September interview

Now deciding between Albany and Tulane.

GL to everyone on the alternate list.

Mozilla (last post 5/20)

Iloveboloties
Aabb111
Purplegiraffe
Davious
Formula50-- accepted, withdrew 6/30
Robobjj-- accepted 6/14
Mikezab
Piviti
Fancypants21
Berkeleyvala
dmy02002-- accepted 6/29
Hadeedish
pghboy18-- Accepted 7/5

Just received an acceptance email from the alternate's list.

34P, 3.3, 3.9 Post-bacc, September interview

Now deciding between Albany and Tulane.

GL to everyone on the alternate list.

Congrats Pghboy18! How long did Albany give you to decide if you don't mind my asking? It's also great to see that there is still some movement. I'm from the area so if you have any questions about Albany itself (weather, nightlife, etc.) let me know.

Congrats Pghboy18! How long did Albany give you to decide if you don't mind my asking? It's also great to see that there is still some movement. I'm from the area so if you have any questions about Albany itself (weather, nightlife, etc.) let me know.

I actually haven't gotten the acceptance packet, so I don't know how long I have. I'll let you know when I do get it. I was set on going somewhere else and am now really excited to have the option to go to Albany. Not sure if I'm going to take it though. My main concern is student life and social life in the Albany area and research opportunities at the school itself. I liked the people when I visited, not so much the facilities. It's definitely going to be a tough choice

does anyone know USMLE scores for AMC or have any thoughtful estimate of what they might be? I know they don't release them... perhaps because its not a strength?

I just visited campus and asked this question at the Admissions office. They said 221 and 95%

Congrats to all! I was once in your shoes, just graduated. I moved from California to Albany and I have to say things work out just fine.

My landlord asked me if I know anyone who is interested in the apartment, so I figured this is where I can spread the word. I lived there for 3 years, couldn't be happier, so I gotta do a right thing.

This place is walking distance to AMC (like 5 minutes). It has off-street parking (man, its a lifesafer in the winter when you asked to move your car while ur studying). Careful with housing in Albany there are some shady (i.e. ghetto) areas. My place was in great area, so I never had problems. The place is spacious with new appliances. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY it includes heat (can get expensive in the winter ~300 dollars).

Anyways, besides, I had a lot of fun in Albany. Make sure you go to montreal if you haven't, and enjoy it, its not as bad as everyone thinks

you guys can let me know.

[email protected]

I just got off the phone with the financial aid department after getting my packet. Here are the numbers for next year (2010-2011).

Tuition has risen 4% and is $48,266.
Cost of Attendence is $2,820, which supposedly covers books, equipment and supplies.
$1,800 for a laptop (One time purchase).
$6,860 for nine months of housing.

This -ish is expensive.

To anybody who has fully completed the financial aid process, do you mind sharing the total cost of attending AMC and the respective breakdown of the student loan budget? The above seems the most accurate though missing information if the cost truly is ~72,000/yr as others have confirmed on past posts. How do they calculate 72,000 (health insurance? further misc. cost?, food? in addition to above?...) This information would be so very much appreciated. :)

To anybody who has fully completed the financial aid process, do you mind sharing the total cost of attending AMC and the respective breakdown of the student loan budget? The above seems the most accurate though missing information if the cost truly is ~72,000/yr as others have confirmed on past posts. How do they calculate 72,000 (health insurance? further misc. cost?, food? in addition to above?...) This information would be so very much appreciated. :)

This is the breakdown the finaid office gave us last year. I haven't been able to locate the 2010-2011 breakdown....

For an AMCI

Tuition: 48+k
Books and supplies; 1,682
Computer allowance: 1,800
Microscope fee: 35
Equipment: 1,108
Insurance: probably around 2500 for this coming year
Then there are the monthly costs (times 9 months for an ms1)
Housing 686
Food 422
Utilities 158
Phone/internet 100
Transportation 245
personal 211
That totals to 1822 *9 months is 16,389 + ~55k = 71389. So give or take it's 72.

Of course, you don't have to accept this much money if you don't think you'll need it. But keep in mind your CoA is only designed to get you through the school year, which leaves June and July before you get your loan distribution second year, so when you make up your budget be sure to account for months that financial aid technically doesn't cover. Keep in mind also that expenses come up, such as car repairs, or going home over Christmas break, so having a few dollars in a savings account for emergencies/special occasions isn't a bad idea as well.

My friend just got in!!!!!
So the waitlist is still moving!!! Keep the hope aliveeeee:luck:

My friend just got in!!!!!
So the waitlist is still moving!!! Keep the hope aliveeeee:luck:

+1

Just got accepted off the waitlist today but withdrew a minute ago. For those for you still waiting, the waitlist is movin'! Good luck!

Wow, thats excellent news vball. Did it come via phonecall or via email?

any last minute accepted students looking for a roommate? the place I have in mind is www.alexanderalbany.com You would need a car to get to school, but it is much nicer than anything around campus (or we could carpool(i have a car)). Rent is around 1600 for the 2 BR/2BA + utilities...so i would estimate around 900 each total a month. But read about all the awesome amenities on the website...also we won't have to worry about getting mugged. anyway...my email is [email protected] if you are interested

If anyone still needs an apartment, a 1 bedroom apartment is available 2-3 minute walk to campus. I will no longer be attending AMC, and am trying to help find a tenant for the landlord. The landlord is very nice, and there are two 4th years living in the building as well. there is also off street parking. If anyone is interested contact me at [email protected].

If anyone still needs an apartment, a 1 bedroom apartment is available 2-3 minute walk to campus. I will no longer be attending AMC, and am trying to help find a tenant for the landlord. The landlord is very nice, and there are two 4th years living in the building as well. there is also off street parking. If anyone is interested contact me at [email protected].

Just curious which school have you accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.