2009-2010 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got into one of my top choices, so I'm going to withdraw from AMC. Good luck everyone. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

They may be still pulling from it occasionally, but no one on SDN is among them or they're simply not posting about it. I have little doubt they'll pull from it again this month a few times and/or a few times next month before they form the official wait list.

Sucks though. I was really hoping to be accepted there by now :(

yeah it feels like they haven't taken anyone off the wait list since Jan...

No people are still getting outright accepted. No one has been accepted off the waitlist in about a month as i understand. Its a small class though. ~90 spots.

I interviewed back in late January and was placed shortly after in the 'still under consideration' category. Is this the same as being 'waitlisted', or are people just referring to a 'still under consideration' status in this way?

Any clarification would be awesome, good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed back in late January and was placed shortly after in the 'still under consideration' category. Is this the same as being 'waitlisted', or are people just referring to a 'still under consideration' status in this way?

thats what I'm on too. I think the UC list is the unofficial waitlist that'll eventually turn into the waitlist

Finaid office doesn't send you this until you fill out FAFSA and release the information to AMC. I think AMC is pretty good at sending emails individually and not having them go to SPAM, or that's my experience.
I am under consideration and released the information so they sent it to me but I'm not supposed to fill it out until I'm accepted they said. (haha i laughed and said "if" I get accepted).

I emailed them a few days after I sent my FAFSA to them, but they told me later that they JUST received my FAFSA. Haha. I guess it has a little delay.

Good luck! I hope you get accepted! :)

"fizzle" or anyone else with information, can you recommend areas to live in Albany that are close to AMC? Thanks!

Sure! I think most students tend to live in the area around AMC bounded by Madison Ave., S. Main Ave., and New Scotland Ave (look it up on Google Maps). It's a safe area filled with residents who've lived there for quite a long time. The areas immediately east of that tend to be a bit more dangerous (I've had a classmate who lived east of AMC that got his home robbed twice), but the area I mentioned where most students live is really safe and nice.

Sure! I think most students tend to live in the area around AMC bounded by Madison Ave., S. Main Ave., and New Scotland Ave (look it up on Google Maps). It's a safe area filled with residents who've lived there for quite a long time. The areas immediately east of that tend to be a bit more dangerous (I've had a classmate who lived east of AMC that got his home robbed twice), but the area I mentioned where most students live is really safe and nice.

Thanks! That's really helpful!!

Along with that, is their any orientation prior to the start-date? Also, if you're going to be outside that area, what directions tend to be safer without leaving the city altogether? Or is it like, if you don't live within those few blocks in any direction that it's just as easy to commute from the neighboring towns as it is to live in other parts of the city?

Also, how safe is the park around there? Could someone safely walk a dog there at like 8 at night? (More particularly, since I'd feel safe most of the time myself unless it was obviously dangerous, what about a younger woman?) There seemd to be some cute places right along the side of the park and that area, when I visited.

Last edited:

Hey so I was also put on the UC list back on December 1st.
This is how they explained it to us back in September (when I interviewed) but I could be a little hazy on the explanation since I did interview around 7-8 months ago (this long process is slowly eating at me ...)
Anyways,
post interview you are assigned/voted on and given a committee score. This does not change ever and they don't accept updates to your file. As the season progresses the committee score to receive addmittance is lowered and poeple that were previously under consideration now may gain acceptance based on this threshold being lowered.
However all that being said, looking at last years threads it seems that there is significant movement from the UC list in April and May (this obviously changes from year to year). I would assume this is due to poeple who hold multiple acceptances deciding on schools based on fin aid packages and going to second look days etc ...
Someone on this thread said that his/her student host or guide claimed that ~60% of his class was under consideration, but again this is obviously variable.
So I think the UC list and the waitlist aren't exactly the same thing just for semantics reasons but at most schools this is called the waitlist and poeple are pulled off it throughout the season. Once the class is finalized and poeple are pulled off the UC list at the end May then the remaining people on the UC list are halfved and the waitlist is created. Apparently there is little to no movement most years during the summer on the waitlist (that's what admin told us on interview day).
I hope this is semi-helpful/all us UCers get in!!
I just wish they accepted updates, I've done so much cool stuff since my interview surely they would want to know about it :(
O well c'est la vie.

There is an orientation in August. More information goes out in June/July (it is done by a second year student so be patient because they don't finish school until basically the first of June and then they have to put the information together). Anyway, I think you start around August 9-13th with orientation and probably start school the following Monday. The final schedule hasn't come out yet though so don't hold me to do that.

The school has a list of trusted landlords on file at the admissions office. Give them a call for it. Also, try to actually make it out here if you can before signing a lease. There are some bad areas and also bad landlords which can easily be avoided by seeing the apartment or house. If you can't make it out here then ask lots of questions or find roommates who can check out the area. Usually the list on file with the admissions office also has a list of people looking for roommates (including your classmates as they finalize their decisions). I've heard people also have found each other on here and on facebook usually in the glass groups set up by you.

For everybody who is on the UC list lots of people get pulled from it and I guarantee they have been pulling from it all along (not just January and February). Just be patient or try to be.... the process sucks!

After re-reading I realized I forgot to answer some questions.
Also, if you're going to be outside that area, what directions tend to be safer without leaving the city altogether?
I'd try to see the place before venturing all over the city or call the admissions office. Most students live in that area within walking distance of AMC since parking can be an issue plus it is generally easier.

Or is it like, if you don't live within those few blocks in any direction that it's just as easy to commute from the neighboring towns as it is to live in other parts of the city?
It is fairly easy to commute in. I live very close by and find that the most convenient though because I can go home for meals or for a quick break from studying. If you are a person who studies at home a far commute may be easier though! I think it comes down to personal preference in terms of where you live. Just be careful with it and don't sign your name without at least somebody seeing the place.

Also, how safe is the park around there? Could someone safely walk a dog there at like 8 at night? (More particularly, since I'd feel safe most of the time myself unless it was obviously dangerous, what about a younger woman?) There seemd to be some cute places right along the side of the park and that area, when I visited.

There are some nice places around the park which students do live in (and they seem to be safe, I haven't heard anything bad from people directly around the park). However, I would not personally walk around the park at night. Albany is a city and has crime to go with that. I've never experienced anything bad here but it's always good to be careful. Most people I know also adhere to not walking around Albany alone at night. The school runs shuttles for students so you do not have to walk home at night alone but for people with dogs I would just attempt to get a place with a yard or take them out earlier!

Thanks for all the answers! :D!

In case you make it back, is there anything you would have liked to know about AMC, good or bad, that you didn't know before you attended?

Like, if you were choosing between multiple schools, or just something it would have been nice to know about before showing up?

I'm a little peeved with Albany for keeping me waiting this long. They said 2 weeks, 3 max, but I haven't heard from them since I interviewed in the beginning of February.

Maybe I'll give them a call one of these days.

Members don't see this ad :)
you definitely should call them. i don't see why they would take so long if people usually find out in about 1 week. Usually 2-3 at most if something delays them. Not 2 months. Maybe it was an email error?

you definitely should call them. i don't see why they would take so long if people usually find out in about 1 week. Usually 2-3 at most if something delays them. Not 2 months. Maybe it was an email error?

Indeed. I would definitely call them if I were you.

Hey, I have a couple quick questions for any current AMC students/anyone in the know

1) Does AMC do international rotations/any other international programs
2) what is the grading system like at AMC
3) any info on community service and other student activities/culture/programs
4) what are class hours like?
5) how far is campus from some good skiing/biking/rock climbing

thanks!

BTW, I called admissions to inquire about UC movement. The lady on the line said they had just pulled a bunch of people from UC and likely wouldn't again until mid May for what it's worth!

BTW, I called admissions to inquire about UC movement. The lady on the line said they had just pulled a bunch of people from UC and likely wouldn't again until mid May for what it's worth!

Thanks iloveboloties, that is actually really helpful to know. I wonder how soon they send the email after they pluck somebody out of the UC flower patch... Wishful thinking for all of us OCDing on our email checks :eek:

Thanks iloveboloties, that is actually really helpful to know. I wonder how soon they send the email after they pluck somebody out of the UC flower patch... Wishful thinking for all of us OCDing on our email checks :eek:

I know and getting that financial aid email to fill stuff out didn't help much with my OCD either :(
Come on AMC!

great to hear that there's movement!

Was anyone on SDN pulled off the UC list in that recent burst?

Just called admissions. UC. Going to withdraw my application anyway, so good luck yall.

Probably my last post in awhile so I'll try to answer the questions and tie off any strings left on this thread.

1) Does AMC do international rotations/any other international programs

They do but they aren't necessarily planned for you. The admissions office has more information on this but basically you can set up what you want especially in the 4th year and the summer between 1st and 2nd year in terms of international or even just away rotations in the US. There are some mandatory rotations that you must do at AMC but again admissions can give you more information in terms of details. AMC is very welcoming to new ideas as long as you communicate with the faculty and work with them. It is a small school that really listens to student input. If you have an idea for an international opportunity or in general other novel ideas, they will definitely work with you to get everything to work out (and even help pay for it).

2) what is the grading system like at AMC

It is a modified pass/fail system. There is EH (excellent with honors), E (excellent), G (good), M (marginal), and U (unsatisfactory). Initially this may sound more like a traditional grading system but there are so little E, EH, U and H's given out that it really reduces the amount of cut throat competition while keeping it challenging.

3) any info on community service and other student activities/culture/programs

There are TONS of community service opportunities at AMC. There are student run clinics, shadowing opportunities set up for you, educational programs for kids about healthcare, even basketball played every weekend to encourage exercise in kids. Basically you can devote as much or as little time as you'd like to community service here! You probably could find some kind of volunteering opportunity more than once a week. There are also some new programs both being implemented now and being developed. There is an inpatient smoking cessation program that students can be involved with (you go to patient rooms and do full consults about smoking cessation then discuss with interns later). There is another program with parson's where students participate on a team of first responders to children and families in crises. Basically the same goes for community service as with other things- there is already tons available but if you have an idea just ask and there will be people to help you out.

Student clubs- People seem to have an idea that there is no student life at Albany Med. I personally think this is completely untrue and a complete perception of the school. It is small and there is no undergrad attached, but there are a tons of clubs and activities to get involved with. Our social committee regularly plans events at local bars, our ski club plans an annual skiing trip, the yoga club plans a yoga retreat, and the list continues. There are a TON of activities to get involved with and never a time when you will be bored. We have bird watching club, we have dance club, we have a wine lover's club, and we also have all the normal interest groups for specialties as well. However, if you find yourself with not enough to do, the student council will provide you with money to create a new club that fits your specific interests. In short- if medical school isn't enough to keep you busy you can find a TON of distractions!

4) what are class hours like?

First year you have class usually 9-12 and in the afternoon you will have dissection, histology lab, or other mandatory classes. You have usually 2 afternoons a week completely off as well. The traditional lectures are not mandatory and are recorded (audio and video) so you don't even have to go if you don't want to. The only mandatory classes are dissection, clinical skills (learning the physical exam), evidence based medicine (basically stats and some other topics), and health care and society (medical ethics). Even histology lab is mostly online so if you don't like going, you don't have to.

5) how far is campus from some good skiing/biking/rock climbing

Campus is really centrally located. People again think there is nothing to do in Albany. There is, but if that isn't enough there are activities all over. NYC is 3 hours, Montreal is 3.5 hours, Boston is 3 hours, the Adirondacks are 40 minutes, Saratoga Springs is 30 minutes, skiing is 40 minutes, biking is all over and as close as 20 minutes for a ride outside of the city, rock climbing is also close by. Basically if you want to do something, it's easy to get to and available. There is public transportation all over and usually classmates will be heading down to Boston, or NYC on any given weekend. There is also a ton in Albany- it is the capitol of NY keep in mind. There is the egg where there are tons of performances, there is SPAC in Saratoga, there are festivals throughout the year in the city, there are at least 5 colleges nearby which often have events you can attend, and more. Between all this, the activities at school, and this little thing called medical school- you'll be plenty busy and not even realize you aren't in a large city.

Another big benefit of Albany is the cost of living. You get the convenience of being nearby the big cities while paying less than half the cost of living in them. I pay around 300 at my apartment and share with 2 others. A one bedroom can go fro 550-600 I'd say and many are located within walking distance of school. It makes is really convenient and more affordable to go to school here. The tuition is higher but you should really be looking at the total cost of attendance when comparing schools! Albany's cost of living is often way lower than many other schools that are located in major cities. Plus Albany gets ALL the major traumas in the area. It's active, it's big, and it's a great place to get your medical education.

If you are planning on attending Albany at this point. I'd say it's good to get going on housing as soon as you feel comfortable. There are many fourth years right now leaving the area and vacating there great apartments. Try to communicate with each other on facebook or here or via the admissions office (they have a list of people looking for roommates and a list of apartments as well) and start looking. Remember to try to look at the apartments in person if you can. Albany has some bad areas (don't live in Arbor Hill) so it's a good idea to see the place and meet your landlord. Many students live in in the areas right around the hospital (between Partridge and South Lake or by Morris/Myrtle). Some students live a little further around Washington Park on Madison or State streets. Look around before signing though and contact the admissions office for some help. There usually are a good number of first years who are from in and around this area too so if you are from farther away you could also try to get in touch with people who are already here and live with them!

Hopefully that answers most things! Good luck, don't lose hope if you haven't gotten in (many get in later on), and hope to see you in the fall!

Hello everyone,
the financial aid is out, however the total estimated need is really high. Can anyone currently at AMC let me know what the actual tuition is?

Hello everyone,
the financial aid is out, however the total estimated need is really high. Can anyone currently at AMC let me know what the actual tuition is?

~$48,000 for next year

If you don't mind my asking, what is the total need they estimate? $70,000?

yes,you are correct.

Yeah... $72,282 is what it says for me.

Is there a Facebook group or anything for accepted students? Just wondering. It seems like people don't post very much on here.

Is there a Facebook group or anything for accepted students? Just wondering. It seems like people don't post very much on here.

That is pretty pricey. I wonder why it's so high? Is the CoL that high in Albany? I would have thought it'd be more like 65ish.

You can easily live off $10,000 a year in Albany. I don't even spend frugally. I buy all sorts of stupid crap and I buy food in a cafeteria every day.

Try starting a thread in the allopathic class thread section. In years past that's had more participation.

To all those that were accepted at Albany did you all get CBC emails before, after or never ..I was accepted awhile ago and still have not gotten that email...

Mine took like two or three weeks I think.

To all those that were accepted at Albany did you all get CBC emails before, after or never ..I was accepted awhile ago and still have not gotten that email...

I got the CBC email from AMCAS 9 days after I was accepted.

~$48,000 for next year

I just got off the phone with the financial aid department after getting my packet. Here are the numbers for next year (2010-2011).

Tuition has risen 4% and is $48,266.
Cost of Attendence is $2,820, which supposedly covers books, equipment and supplies.
$1,800 for a laptop (One time purchase).
$6,860 for nine months of housing.

This -ish is expensive.

cost of attendance of 2,820$? I dont understand that, is that per month? that adds up to more that 72000 total, and if it is one time payment of 2,820, it is going to be less that 72000.

cost of attendance of 2,820$? I dont understand that, is that per month? that adds up to more that 72000 total, and if it is one time payment of 2,820, it is going to be less that 72000.

I'm pretty sure that's the year figure for like, fees, books, equipment.

does anyone have the e-mail address for the person who deals with housing information at AMC?

does anyone have the e-mail address for the person who deals with housing information at AMC?

I know the email address they gave us on the paper doesn't work... I tried MosesS instead of MoseS also and never got a response. If you call, they answer pretty quickly! I called last week and they sent me the roommate form but said they're currently updating the apartment listings.

Withdrawing soon. Good luck everyone!!!!

Visiting here and Buffalo this week to try to get a better feel for what it'd be like to live and go to school in the different places. Does anyone have suggestions of places I might want to stop by or walk around to get a feel for what Albany is like on a sort of day to day basis?

Visiting here and Buffalo this week to try to get a better feel for what it'd be like to live and go to school in the different places. Does anyone have suggestions of places I might want to stop by or walk around to get a feel for what Albany is like on a sort of day to day basis?

hmmmm, Washington Park is nice this time of year, tons of tulips in bloom. It's less than 0.5 miles north of AMC. Just follow New Scotland avenue kind of east-north from the school and you run right into it. Lark street is just East of the park, has a bunch of shops and restaurants and bars. A little bit West of AMC on New Scotland is a little strip with 3 or 4 bars and restaurants that AMC students frequent. The downtown has some cool buildings; the capital is very unique and the New York state museum on Madison downtown is cool (and free). It's hard to say overall though what it's like on a day-to-day basis because that really depends on what your schedule's like at any given time and what you like to do.

I'm doing the same right now, just got back from a hike in the adirondacks which are beautiful! and about 1 and 1/2 hour from albany

does anyone know USMLE scores for AMC or have any thoughtful estimate of what they might be? I know they don't release them... perhaps because its not a strength?

I have searched up and down through Albany's website for information about when class starts/ orientation week. I recently got my admissions packet, after getting accepted through email YAY!!! There's no information in there about when classes start, or orientation dates, nothing on the website either.

Can anyone help me with this information?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.