You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread
Started by shemarty
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Really! How weird is that! Yeah, I FINALLY got in touch with someone with the old records...guess what?
What!?!
What!?!
No man, you gotta GUESS!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No man, you gotta GUESS!
Ok...uh...they only had records from your Kindergarten health appraisal on microfiche that are SO grainy you can only make out that you MAY have gotten a polio vaccine, had two lazy eyes, and are possibly cognitively underdeveloped?
Ok...uh...they only had records from your Kindergarten health appraisal on microfiche that are SO grainy you can only make out that you MAY have gotten a polio vaccine, had two lazy eyes, and are possibly cognitively underdeveloped?
WHOA!
It's like you are reading my mind!Why was 6 afraid of vc7777?
Because he's freaking nuts!
I totally agree.
Plus he's apparently got TWO lazy eyes...
Hey now! Why are you two picking on me?! I dare both of you to look me straight in the eye (not the same one) and say that to my face! Just don't stand too close together or you'll be in my blind spot...I'm kinda like a carp...
Hey now! Why are you two picking on me?! I dare both of you to look me straight in the eye (not the same one) and say that to my face! Just don't stand too close together or you'll be in my blind spot...I'm kinda like a carp...
Sorry...That was uncalled for. Forgive me?
Sorry...That was uncalled for. Forgive me?
Nah...that's OK. I know you've had a bad week. Say what are you doing this weekend?
Nah...that's OK. I know you've had a bad week. Say what are you doing this weekend?
Going to Cleveland to apartment shop. You?
Going to Cleveland to apartment shop. You?
GET OUTTA HERE! ME TOO! Wow! What are the chances! Are you driving?
GETTA HERE! ME TOO! Wow! What are the chances! Are you driving?
Absolutely! Are you driving too? These coincidences are TOO much!
Absolutely! Are you driving too? These coincidences are TOO much!
No, dude, lazy eyes? Remember?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No, dude, lazy eyes? Remember?
Right, right. Sorry 'bout that...
Methinks vc7777 has gone off the deep end...Maybe I regret saying I can't wait to have him as my classmate...
On a nicer note, my up-to-date immunization records are stored online so I can access them anytime I want. Here's to hoping a printed online copy is authentic enough for Case!
When are we supposed to get info about the other stuff? Like questionnaires and CITI thing? Oh well, not my fault if I haven't gotten it! 😀
On a nicer note, my up-to-date immunization records are stored online so I can access them anytime I want. Here's to hoping a printed online copy is authentic enough for Case!
When are we supposed to get info about the other stuff? Like questionnaires and CITI thing? Oh well, not my fault if I haven't gotten it! 😀
That's ok...
So anyways...
Yes?
Top!
That was like watching a mental train wreck in slow, agonizing motion...
Choo-Choo!
Thanks! Dude - that is my hardest earned "Top" on the thread this year! 😀
Thanks! Dude - that is my hardest earned "Top" on the thread this year! 😀
Wow, vc7777, you're really stepping up your top-sniping game!![]()
Which will be absolutely useless to him when I lock the thread on page 99.
As an addendum, the polio vaccine I ended up getting was cheap and easy.😳
In case you UPers haven't looked at iapply recently, theres a new link on the very bottom that has a ton of information. Of that information presented, we have a summer reading assignment, "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science." I got a copy off amazon for $5 shipped, check them out.
Also, our books for anatomy are posted, "Grey's for students" 2nd edition and "Atlas of Anatomy" by Gilroy/Ross. Each of these run ~ $50 bucks online, I may wait until I get to Case to make these purchases.
Myuu and Ice, can you comment on the book situation at Case? Is the bookstore cheap / way overpriced? How do you get your books? Are the "required" texts really required or suggested? Mind throwing out some suggestions?
The Case Wiki has some similar information, but I'd like to hear it straight from the Horse's mouth.
Nerd alert inc. With that being said, I'm going to the RENAISSANCE FAIR later today. No outfit, but I'm STOKED. / nerd
Also, our books for anatomy are posted, "Grey's for students" 2nd edition and "Atlas of Anatomy" by Gilroy/Ross. Each of these run ~ $50 bucks online, I may wait until I get to Case to make these purchases.
Myuu and Ice, can you comment on the book situation at Case? Is the bookstore cheap / way overpriced? How do you get your books? Are the "required" texts really required or suggested? Mind throwing out some suggestions?
The Case Wiki has some similar information, but I'd like to hear it straight from the Horse's mouth.
Nerd alert inc. With that being said, I'm going to the RENAISSANCE FAIR later today. No outfit, but I'm STOKED. / nerd
In case you UPers haven't looked at iapply recently, theres a new link on the very bottom that has a ton of information. Of that information presented, we have a summer reading assignment, "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science." I got a copy off amazon for $5 shipped, check them out.
Also, our books for anatomy are posted, "Grey's for students" 2nd edition and "Atlas of Anatomy" by Gilroy/Ross. Each of these run ~ $50 bucks online, I may wait until I get to Case to make these purchases.
Myuu and Ice, can you comment on the book situation at Case? Is the bookstore cheap / way overpriced? How do you get your books? Are the "required" texts really required or suggested? Mind throwing out some suggestions?
The Case Wiki has some similar information, but I'd like to hear it straight from the Horse's mouth.
Nerd alert inc. With that being said, I'm going to the RENAISSANCE FAIR later today. No outfit, but I'm STOKED. / nerd
I hate Gray's anatomy with the frozen ire of a million supermassive black holes. But, some people love it to death, so there are a lot of ways you could go there. Also, they're all available in the library, so depending on when you do your reading, it could really work out well for you, economically. In terms of atlases, Thieme's is an all-around favorite, with Rohen's as the de facto photographic accompaniment. Both are totally worth it, but, again, try before you buy, if you buy at all. I'm pretty sure most people buy online, as the bookstore is a fairly typical BN-run operation (which is to say grossly overpriced). I think someone was working on revising the booklist to reflect which ones you would actually need, so I'll see if I can't find that for you.👍
Oh, and I'm sure there'll be a number of newly-christened second years anxious to sell you things.🙂
(A lot of these books are online in one way or another through md consult, access medicine, etc.)
Which will be absolutely useless to him when I lock the thread on page 99.![]()
Can you merge all of his posts/responses to himself?
In case you UPers haven't looked at iapply recently, theres a new link on the very bottom that has a ton of information. Of that information presented, we have a summer reading assignment, "Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science." I got a copy off amazon for $5 shipped, check them out.
Also, our books for anatomy are posted, "Grey's for students" 2nd edition and "Atlas of Anatomy" by Gilroy/Ross. Each of these run ~ $50 bucks online, I may wait until I get to Case to make these purchases.
Myuu and Ice, can you comment on the book situation at Case? Is the bookstore cheap / way overpriced? How do you get your books? Are the "required" texts really required or suggested? Mind throwing out some suggestions?
The Case Wiki has some similar information, but I'd like to hear it straight from the Horse's mouth.
Nerd alert inc. With that being said, I'm going to the RENAISSANCE FAIR later today. No outfit, but I'm STOKED. / nerd
I would recommend either buying the books from older students where you'll get a great deal, or going to allbookstores.com where you can compare book prices from all the major retailers (and some not so major ones too) in an apples-to-apples comparison with shipping included. I believe Code Blue has a whole section on the most recommended texts, I defer to that because it has more than just my input. However, for anatomy, I think the Moore text for anatomy is the best, in addition to Rohan (neither of which are the recommended texts this year).
Yeah, but in that case, guess who isn't going to help you with your driving? 😀You may be pleased to hear I will now very likely be getting a car due to my living situation and I will be making Cleveland pho runs in ~2 months. Notice the "I" because now I'm not sure if we're going to be friends/buddies. 🙁
It's MSPRC: Medical Student Promotions and Review Committee. And actually, they haven't reviewed my fifth year portfolio yet. They only use the first and second year portfolios to decide whether you get promoted to second and third years, respectively. Then there is no third year portfolio, and you write one at the beginning of fifth year that is used to ensure that you're going to meet all competencies required for graduation. So that's the point where I'm at, but I still get to be a fifth year now because the old fifth year class already graduated. 🙂Oh and I noticed you changed your title to "Fifth year MD/MS student" just now. Congrats and yay for the MPEC (or whatever the acronym for the promotions committee) promoting you to 5th year!
If you're going to join Team Myuu/CCLCMer, I think we can come to a mutually beneficial arrangement.Can I be the author of the 1000th post on the 2010-2011 Case thread then? I call dibs? 😀
It's a deal. 👍You can always make Cleveland pho runs with us. We'll like you even more if you pay for us.
Good that you recognize your impending doom and defeat.Hmmm....I think I'm screwed...

It's SLO-mo MEN-tal T-wreck.... 😀Choo-Choo!
Thanks! Dude - that is my hardest earned "Top" on the thread this year! 😀
Just so you know, your hard-hitting free-form commentary on the impersonality of the limitations of prose posting on SDN school discussion threads is still funny.
What do people do for furniture around Case? Out west, lots of people go to Ikea for cheap-y stuff, but I saw there isn't one nearby. Craigslist? Other students? Are there cheap furniture stores?
Also, on a housing not, how much is reasonable for a 1 bdrm/half a 2 bdrm/ a third of a 3 bdrm near campus for the UP? Also, any idea on how much room that much money would get you?
Also, on a housing not, how much is reasonable for a 1 bdrm/half a 2 bdrm/ a third of a 3 bdrm near campus for the UP? Also, any idea on how much room that much money would get you?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also related to housing:
An earlier post mentioned that most apartments don't come with AC. Most housing out here don't come with AC as well, but it's because I'm close to the beach and the weather's great year round -- AC simply isn't necessary. Is AC not necessary in Cleveland or do most people not have/use AC for money issues?
Is rental insurance necessary?
Thanks. 🙂
An earlier post mentioned that most apartments don't come with AC. Most housing out here don't come with AC as well, but it's because I'm close to the beach and the weather's great year round -- AC simply isn't necessary. Is AC not necessary in Cleveland or do most people not have/use AC for money issues?
Is rental insurance necessary?
Thanks. 🙂
Also related to housing:
An earlier post mentioned that most apartments don't come with AC. Most housing out here don't come with AC as well, but it's because I'm close to the beach and the weather's great year round -- AC simply isn't necessary. Is AC not necessary in Cleveland or do most people not have/use AC for money issues?
Is rental insurance necessary?
Thanks. 🙂
I heard it just gets hot in Cleveland for a couple days in the summer. I would just buy a fan for $20...
Yes to Craigslist and other students. I'm not sure about furniture stores. I brought most of my furniture with me, got some hand-me-downs from when my sister got married, etc.What do people do for furniture around Case? Out west, lots of people go to Ikea for cheap-y stuff, but I saw there isn't one nearby. Craigslist? Other students? Are there cheap furniture stores?
I have a one bed, one bath about three blocks from Case for $760 (landlord just raised my rent 😡). That includes water, garbage, electricity, and gas. Cable and landline if you use one are extra.Also, on a housing not, how much is reasonable for a 1 bdrm/half a 2 bdrm/ a third of a 3 bdrm near campus for the UP? Also, any idea on how much room that much money would get you?
A lot of people either don't use AC or else have window units. My first summer here, I didn't have an AC. There were a few hot spells where it got uncomfortable, but in general, the summers here are pretty mild. However, my parents were horrified at the thought that I had no AC, and they bought me a window unit. Since I have it, I now use it, mainly in August and Sept. But you could definitely get by with fans if you're ok with a few hot days here and there, and I know a lot of people who do.Also related to housing:
An earlier post mentioned that most apartments don't come with AC. Most housing out here don't come with AC as well, but it's because I'm close to the beach and the weather's great year round -- AC simply isn't necessary. Is AC not necessary in Cleveland or do most people not have/use AC for money issues?
It depends on if you have something worth insuring. I debated getting rental insurance and ultimately decided not to. There is nothing I have here of tremendous value that isn't replaceable worst case scenario, and I'm going to sell a lot of it when I move next summer anyway. But if you have expensive furniture and other things you would find hard to replace, then you might want to consider it.Is rental insurance necessary?
I don't know if I'm the one who told you that, but if not, I agree with whoever else said that.I heard it just gets hot in Cleveland for a couple days in the summer. I would just buy a fan for $20...
A lot of people either don't use AC or else have window units. My first summer here, I didn't have an AC. There were a few hot spells where it got uncomfortable, but in general, the summers here are pretty mild. However, my parents were horrified at the thought that I had no AC, and they bought me a window unit. Since I have it, I now use it, mainly in August and Sept. But you could definitely get by with fans if you're ok with a few hot days here and there, and I know a lot of people who do.
Is this going to be one of the few moments in the year when I, as a lifelong CA resident, can say "HAHA, weaklings...this is what I deal with everyday in CA" to everyone, before they make fun of me from Oct-May? 😀
Is this going to be one of the few moments in the year when I, as a lifelong CA resident, can say "HAHA, weaklings...this is what I deal with everyday in CA" to everyone, before they make fun of me from Oct-May? 😀
No. As a lifelong CA resident prior to med school, I thought it was pretty damn hot in the summer. It's not the heat, it's the humidity...
Now, if you said FLORIDA...you would laugh at our midwest humidity...
I personally value my sleep. I will likely be getting a window unit (800 BTUs) just to keep the humidity down at night to sleep in the bedroom.
I personally value my sleep. I will likely be getting a window unit (800 BTUs) just to keep the humidity down at night to sleep in the bedroom.
I would like to point out that in addition to having the most posts, we now also have the most views. I take pride in that.
I would like to point out that in addition to having the most posts, we now also have the most views. I take pride in that.
Finally! Take That UCLA! 🙂Probably not. Now granted I've only been to CA twice. But both times it was pretty cold when I was there, and it wasn't even wintertime. I came once in June and once in October. In my admittedly limited experience, the summer in Cleveland is hotter than the summer in San Diego, LA, or SF. So, you're pretty much never going to have the opportunity to lord your weather tolerance over anyone else here. Sorry.Is this going to be one of the few moments in the year when I, as a lifelong CA resident, can say "HAHA, weaklings...this is what I deal with everyday in CA" to everyone, before they make fun of me from Oct-May? 😀
As do I. 👍droofish47 said:I would like to point out that in addition to having the most posts, we now also have the most views. I take pride in that.
I would also like to point out that our 2010-2011 Case thread also has the most views so far in the new subforum. However, we are one post short of the Vandy thread in terms of having the most posts, and I hope two of you will post pad the new thread so that we can remedy this unacceptable situation.
...I hope two of you will post pad the new thread so that we can remedy this unacceptable situation.
I didn't want to presume, I thought you guys might get lonely over here if I started posting too much over 'yonder.
I'm on it. BRB
Now, if you said FLORIDA...you would laugh at our midwest humidity...
I personally value my sleep. I will likely be getting a window unit (800 BTUs) just to keep the humidity down at night to sleep in the bedroom.
I'm from Virginia and I laugh at your concept of humidity.
I'm from Virginia and I laugh at your concept of humidity.![]()
Hmmmm....you don't strike me as a virginian.
Thank you for all the helpful replies! 😍
Coastal California, where most people live, tends to be cool during the summers and warm during the winters, although it gets waaaay warmer further inland. It easily breaks 90+ F during the summers. California is pretty dry though; it's mostly desert.
Coastal California, where most people live, tends to be cool during the summers and warm during the winters, although it gets waaaay warmer further inland. It easily breaks 90+ F during the summers. California is pretty dry though; it's mostly desert.
What a great morning in Cleveland...sun was shining...people were out and about....
Hmmmm....you don't strike me as a virginian.
One one hand, I'm glad. On the other hand, I'm a bit concerned as to what state you would otherwise think I was from.

What a great morning in Cleveland...sun was shining...people were out and about....
Did you check out the Hessler Street Fair?😀 Or the Adelbert book sale? 😀 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Halfway to TOP of next page!
=)
=)
Can we make alliances? I'm ok with losing if it's to you. I just don't want it to be to vc7777, or you and I will both never hear the end of it. What do you say? Teammates?![]()
Deal!
I'M winning this semi-useless contest!!
Oh to think that earlier today I was telling Dean Franco that I was going to be your buddy this year, for I had no idea of how you would betray me tonight. :cry:
I think our curriculum fosters such a collaborative atmosphere that the repressed competitiveness needs to be channeled elsewhere.

No! No, not at all...for example...I had to get immunization records for CCLCM this week, you know?
What a coincidence, so did I!
Methinks vc7777 has gone off the deep end...Maybe I regret saying I can't wait to have him as my classmate...
😀
I didn't say that, though.

Choo-Choo!
Thanks! Dude - that is my hardest earned "Top" on the thread this year! 😀
Wow, no kidding. With such persistence and effort, I think he has a pretty good shot of getting the 5k-th post. 🙂
Is this going to be one of the few moments in the year when I, as a lifelong CA resident, can say "HAHA, weaklings...this is what I deal with everyday in CA" to everyone, before they make fun of me from Oct-May? 😀
No. As a lifelong CA resident prior to med school, I thought it was pretty damn hot in the summer. It's not the heat, it's the humidity...
The weather in CA didn't strike me as difficult to deal with, and as such, I think we're invariably going to be made fun of throughout the year. 🙁 We can always form a support group...
Hey all, The waitlist is still moving, got the call this morning!!
Awesome! Which program?🙂
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K

