2009-2010 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was originally placed on the accepted alternate list on 11/13 and was notified last wednesday I am now officially accepted and have to send my deposit within 2 weeks. Guess it's ranked?? :shrug:

interviewed 10/16

Yeah I think it's ranked. Damn.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I think it's ranked. Damn.

It's probably just an IS vs OOS difference (I happen to be IS, which is what they tend to favor), BlueElmo, don't sweat it, I'm sure they'll officially accept you before you know it! :luck:

It's probably just an IS vs OOS difference (I happen to be IS, which is what they tend to favor), BlueElmo, don't sweat it, I'm sure they'll officially accept you before you know it! :luck:

Thanks! And congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Blue Elmo - I interviewed on Nov. 2nd. Got placed on the alternate list the 19th and fully accepted on the 2nd of December. I am instate and they are more spots open for instate residents so maybe that is why i got accepted before you did even though you got placed on the alternate list first.

Blue Elmo - I interviewed on Nov. 2nd. Got placed on the alternate list the 19th and fully accepted on the 2nd of December. I am instate and they are more spots open for instate residents so maybe that is why i got accepted before you did even though you got placed on the alternate list first.

Oh okay. Thanks for the info. Congrats by the way.

Hey ezsanche I think I am getting rejected man. I have not heard back from them and we interviewed the same day.

I'm in-state and I interviewed on 10/23. On 11/10 my status changed to Admissions Committee Scheduled, and today (12/8) I got Admissions Committee Review Completed. Anyone know how long after you get that status they let you know their decision?

I'm in-state and I interviewed on 10/23. On 11/10 my status changed to Admissions Committee Scheduled, and today (12/8) I got Admissions Committee Review Completed. Anyone know how long after you get that status they let you know their decision?

Meep, my status changed today as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it typically takes about a week or so to hear the decision for accept or alternate. It might take a bit longer though if you end up final pooled.

Meep, my status changed today as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it typically takes about a week or so to hear the decision for accept or alternate. It might take a bit longer though if you end up final pooled.

It took a week for me. If it's good news, they will put you in the alternate list, otherwise you will be final pooled.

A week?? UGH...I'm too impatient for all this stuff!

Hey ezsanche I think I am getting rejected man. I have not heard back from them and we interviewed the same day.
I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion. I am not sure how it works but I dont think they review students by the day they attended their interview. I am also pretty sure they send acceptances in waves so maybe that is why you haven't heard from them since you got your last update. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!!!:luck:

A week?? UGH...I'm too impatient for all this stuff!
It really varies. I got my acceptance the next day after I was reviewed. But others had to wait a week or two.

I called Monday and apparently the next wave of acceptances is January 15th. I'm crossing my fingers and praying to be fully accepted...

Members don't see this ad :)
I called Monday and apparently the next wave of acceptances is January 15th. I'm crossing my fingers and praying to be fully accepted...

Urg what the hell. That's more than a month away.

I guess it varies. i got the alt accepted the day after, ADCOM completed.. I was also told the next wave of acceptances is mid-Jan.. more chill pills for me I guess..

Hey guys, I got on my application status page today and it said "Preliminary Review Completed" on 12/2/09. Anybody know what this means? Is a rejection letter on its way?

Hey guys, I got on my application status page today and it said "Preliminary Review Completed" on 12/2/09. Anybody know what this means? Is a rejection letter on its way?

I think it means they'll let you know if you've got an interview or hold or something like that.

I think it means they'll let you know if you've got an interview or hold or something like that.

Hmm, I just called the admissions office and they said the same thing. Why wouldn't they just make a decision after reviewing my application a week ago?

Hmm, I just called the admissions office and they said the same thing. Why wouldn't they just make a decision after reviewing my application a week ago?

You should have asked them when you called.:oops:

Got an email this morning: Accepted alternate (interviewed 10/19). Guess this means more waiting? Haha, what's new. :p

I feel like there's such a strong influence on "diversity" at FIU, so much so that some great candidates got final pooled and some mediocre ones got accepted. (Noted: many excellent people were accepted too) Of course that's from only personally knowing a handful of people who applied, but based on that my own small sample size, it seems there are certain non-academic, non-extracurricular factors that may get you a long way in the process. If you're a URM, definitely apply to FIU.

I haven't heard of any "great candidate" getting final pooled at FIU.

Final pooled today :(

Maybe I'll get lucky when they re-review...

I feel like there's such a strong influence on "diversity" at FIU, so much so that some great candidates got final pooled and some mediocre ones got accepted. (Noted: many excellent people were accepted too) Of course that's from only personally knowing a handful of people who applied, but based on that my own small sample size, it seems there are certain non-academic, non-extracurricular factors that may get you a long way in the process. If you're a URM, definitely apply to FIU.

Pursuit of diversity and well-qualified matriculants are not mutually exclusive. FIU primarily wants to matriculate a class that's likely to serve south floridians and reflective of S. FL. I reject the suggestion that diversity = mediocrity.

Pursuit of diversity and well-qualified matriculants are not mutually exclusive. FIU primarily wants to matriculate a class that's likely to serve south floridians and reflective of S. FL. I reject the suggestion that diversity = mediocrity.

I certainly agree with that. But I also think that if you're from South Florida, it doesn't matter whether you're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. when it comes down to how well you can serve that community (except, of course, being able to speak spanish).

I certainly agree with that. But I also think that if you're from South Florida, it doesn't matter whether you're white, black, hispanic, asian, etc. when it comes down to how well you can serve that community (except, of course, being able to speak spanish).

Invariably, this topic always devolves into something racial. Diversity does transcends race and includes life experiences, travel experiences, linguistics, socioeconomics, ethnicity, immigration status etc etc etc. I'll give ADCOMs a little more credit bcos I'm sure they look for more than just melatonin levels when assessing diversity...

Another observation is that complaints about diversity are virtually always asymmetrical. No one complains about too much whites, it's always too many blacks, hispanics, asians etc.. there's a hypocritical pretense of race neutrality and intellectual dishonesty in these gripes.

My 2 cents...

Same here...Preliminary Review Completed 12/1/09. I submitted 11/25 not expecting news anytime soon. :(

Same here...Preliminary Review Completed 12/1/09. I submitted 11/25 not expecting news anytime soon. :(

I just called about this. The lady said that this means the application has gone through the initial review and that if you are selected for interview you will be contact either email or letter by the interview coordinator. She said this could take up to a month.

...has gone through the initial review and that if you are selected for interview you will be contact either email or letter by the interview coordinator. She said this could take up to a month.

..so if it's been 3 months it means silent rejection then, i'm assuming? ..I was complete/prelim reviewed mid august..

Anyone interviewing on Jan. 15th?

For those of you that interviewed where did you stay the night before and how far was it from where we interview?

Thanks

For those of you that interviewed where did you stay the night before and how far was it from where we interview?

Thanks

They give you like a list of hotels you can stay at in your interview email.

Thanks

I live a minute away from the FIU campus. There really aren't any hotels that are super close. Nothing within walking distance for sure. I would see if you could stay with a student there but most students (undergraduate and graduate) don't live on campus.

I'm really curious as to what places FIU is recommending.

Thanks

I googled hotels near the campus and of all the suggested ones I would only recommend:
Comfort Inn
3901 Southwest 117th Avenue
Miami, FL 33175 US
Approximate distance:
1.4mi/2.2km SW

All the other ones are pretty much the same distance but in the wrong direction (aka. bad neighborhoods or near them).

The above hotel is near pretty good residential areas and is located in a shopping center with pretty much everything you could ever want (publix, kfc, burger king, chicken kitchen, cvs, post office, dry cleaners, sports bar, etc.) which is great if you need something.

I stayed at Courtyard, but you need a cab in the morning to take you to campus.

I stayed at Courtyard, but you need a cab in the morning to take you to campus.

The one at Dolphin mall? Yea, that one is nice since it was just built. I didn't suggest it since its a bit farther and 98% percent of the time the traffic coming from there is atrocious.

I want an interview from FIU so bad. I should send an "in the area" email saying... I'm across the street at my house, I can swing by any time...seriously ANY TIME.

Is the "prelim review" via e-mail or you have to check your status?

Status
Not open for further replies.