2009-2010 University of Florida Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, did you ask the 16 other members about their statuses? How did you find this out?

I visited the admissions office, they post the pictures of every acceptee on the wall, and since I interviewed in mid-Oct, it was easy to pick out the ones I interviewed with.

Members don't see this ad.

to those of you who got interviews: how long after your application was complete did they contact you about the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
How long after the general grad school app do you hear about getting a secondary?

Interviewing at UF on the 20th of November... Any of you guys know how long the drive is from Tampa??

Had a blast interviewing last Friday. Very good school, but I wish they didn't hold everyone until March and then start accepting people. Also, the new cancer hospital will be opening this weekend and it basically has a whole new hospital build in with it (new ER, ORs, etc.).

I could really use some good news at this point in the cycle :xf:

I got an email today followed by a phone call from one of my interviewers today saying "Congrats, you've been accepted". Needless to say, I was almost speechless on the phone. They told us they put almost everyone on hold until March so I must have really lucked out. It helped that I spend a lot of time working with surgeons and was interviewed by two head surgeons.

I could care less what happens in this process now. I'm so relieved...

Good luck to the rest of you guys! Feel free to ask me any questions about the interview.

I got an email today followed by a phone call from one of my interviewers today saying "Congrats, you've been accepted". Needless to say, I was almost speechless on the phone. They told us they put almost everyone on hold until March so I must have really lucked out. It helped that I spend a lot of time working with surgeons and was interviewed by two head surgeons.

I could care less what happens in this process now. I'm so relieved...

Good luck to the rest of you guys! Feel free to ask me any questions about the interview.

ACCEPTED AS WELL!!!! I got an email from the school and another from my interviewer! That sneaky dude already knew and just had to hold out! lol.

I am so relieved as well. It's a huge weight off my shoulders and I will probably go here.

And by the way Alvarez, I was in your group. PM me.

Congrats on your acceptances guys! I just got my interview invite for Dec. 4th. I can't wait to make my trip to Gville.

Go time.

Interviewing at UF on the 20th of November... Any of you guys know how long the drive is from Tampa??

Once you get on 75 it is a little less than 2 hours to Shand's assuming you drive ~75mph. It all depends how far from I75 you live in Tampa

Members don't see this ad :)
A word of advice: Make sure to get to the Shands parking garage with ample time to spare. It can easily end up taking you 20 minutes to get a parking spot and then (not that it matters for interviews at that point), it can easily take you 20-30 minutes to get out of the garage due to the painfully slow fare collectors.

If anyone else is interviewing this Friday and wants to avoid the hassle of parking, I'm having a friend drop me off in the morning and pick up on call. Just shoot me a PM.

Anyone know when they will be reviewing the "on hold" list?

Hey everyone! I just interviewed at UF today and I must say... awesome! The students were super excited to see us, and were very enthusiastic about their school.

The interviewers I had were fantastic and very conversational. I am very excited to hear back. They mentioned that 70% of interviewees get accepted.

It was a really nice day, and I wish you all the best of luck!

If you have not interviewed at UF yet, you are going to have a blast. Just relax and enjoy the day!

Roll Tide... :D

Hey everyone! I just interviewed at UF today and I must say... awesome! The students were super excited to see us, and were very enthusiastic about their school.

The interviewers I had were fantastic and very conversational. I am very excited to hear back. They mentioned that 70% of interviewees get accepted.

It was a really nice day, and I wish you all the best of luck!

If you have not interviewed at UF yet, you are going to have a blast. Just relax and enjoy the day!

Roll Tide... :D

Lol...that 70% number...not to be a #$^#, but I really wish they hadn't mentioned that to me at the interview last year. They say it to put you at ease or whatever, but as one of the 30% who never made it off the waitlist last year, I have to say it really gave me false hope lol.

i think they re-review every couple of months of so, at least based on last year's experience.

By the way - any idea when you would be hearing from UF?

All is quiet on the UF front... I thought they said we'd hear something back on Monday. Did anyone get a rejection/acceptance yesterday or today?

:D

All is quiet on the UF front... I thought they said we'd hear something back on Monday. Did anyone get a rejection/acceptance yesterday or today?

:D

I think they'll let you know on Thursday. I'm pretty sure that's when they called me but I could be wrong.

Interviewing on Friday, can't wait! Just checking on the forum looking for last minute advice.

Hey Rockytop, were you in Indiana not too long ago? I believe I met a guy at IU who told me his forum name was Rockytop.

Anyway, have people been asked about Healthcare reform and all that jazz? I really don't like talking about that whole situation :mad:.

Thanks guys,

Drew

Hey guys, I initially got my decision deffered after interviewing in october. I remember them saying another group of students gets accepted some time in december.

Anybody know about this next group of acceptances or when it might happen?

Interviewing on Friday, can't wait! Just checking on the forum looking for last minute advice.

Hey Rockytop, were you in Indiana not too long ago? I believe I met a guy at IU who told me his forum name was Rockytop.

Anyway, have people been asked about Healthcare reform and all that jazz? I really don't like talking about that whole situation :mad:.

Thanks guys,

Drew

I'd just look over the interview feedback. But take it with a grain of salt, it just depends on who you draw for the interviews. I read a lot of stressful reviews but both of mine were completely relaxed and conversational. I think I was asked one relevant question, about my research, but was prepared for any other tough ones. Other than that I did just about everything you're not supposed to do and still got in. Good luck and get ready for a really long day.

Thanks guys,

Drew

Hey Drew, yea that is me. I told ya you'd get into Uniform Services! Good job man! UF was very cool. I thought the interview day was put together better than IU's. My interviewers were really nice, and I thought I'd made a good impression.... however, I got the email saying "on-hold" or as Draftpick said above "deferred".

Basically that means no decision... and more waiting... :D

I think you will do fine. I did get a "current health care" question in both interviews... One even said to talk about something other than the "insurance" issue. I read the Wall Street Journal every day, that has pretty much made it really easy for me to talk about current affairs in health...

Did you interview at USF too?

Hey Drew, yea that is me. I told ya you'd get into Uniform Services! Good job man! UF was very cool. I thought the interview day was put together better than IU's. My interviewers were really nice, and I thought I'd made a good impression.... however, I got the email saying "on-hold" or as Draftpick said above "deferred".

Basically that means no decision... and more waiting... :D

I think you will do fine. I did get a "current health care" question in both interviews... One even said to talk about something other than the "insurance" issue. I read the Wall Street Journal every day, that has pretty much made it really easy for me to talk about current affairs in health...

Did you interview at USF too?

Thanks :), that's a bummer about the "on-hold" deal, I keep getting those from places that didn't even give me an interview.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's interview, but it's a 2 hour drive! I much prefer flying lol. I'll have to read up on the Healthcare debate again tonight, I hear things are actually happening with that bill. I wish I had cable or one of those converter boxes right about now.

No interview at USF as of yet...I was really hoping to get one there. Good luck with this school, I'm sure you'll get in! I read that they accept 70% of those interviewed? Pretty high number.

I'd just look over the interview feedback. But take it with a grain of salt, it just depends on who you draw for the interviews. I read a lot of stressful reviews but both of mine were completely relaxed and conversational. I think I was asked one relevant question, about my research, but was prepared for any other tough ones. Other than that I did just about everything you're not supposed to do and still got in. Good luck and get ready for a really long day.

Thanks! I will be checking the interview feedback tonight I suppose.

Thanks guys,

Drew

I was asked about it by my first interviewer. We talked about the pros and cons of a public option, and problems with the current state of health care. It was very laid back.

I'm really excited about UF. I'm definitely going down for second look, but I'm basically sold on the school. The only way I would not go is if my state school offered me a full scholarship-which they don't normally do.

UF was the only school I interviewed at that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I felt completely at home. Ahh I get giddy just thinking about it. My uncle already bought me a UFCOM t-shirt :)

They need to accept more people so we can start a facebook group!

I'm really excited about UF. I'm definitely going down for second look, but I'm basically sold on the school. The only way I would not go is if my state school offered me a full scholarship-which they don't normally do.

UF was the only school I interviewed at that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I felt completely at home. Ahh I get giddy just thinking about it. My uncle already bought me a UFCOM t-shirt :)

They need to accept more people so we can start a facebook group!
I'll see you there. Sent back my acceptance letter and the school cashed my deposit check last week. It's too good of a school and the tuition is so much better than going out of state. Plus I can pursue an MBA and hopefully do some projects with my old engineering professor! Looking forward to it.

Got back from Gainesville a few hours ago...not a bad interview day. It was long though! My interviewers were nice people (though one of them totally grilled me on the healthcare reform debate) and I had a decent time. It was weird though, because out of 16 people being interviewed, 13 of them were students at UF! I was one of three from other schools...kind of intimidating. I'll post the feedback later...as for now I'm off too bed.

Anybody know what the stats are on how many they accept/defer/reject every week? Dr. Gessner (Chair of Admissions Committee) said that we'd get an email by next thursday with a decision as to accept/defer, but didn't specifically mention the possibility of being rejected right after the interview...maybe he just didn't want to unnerve us?

Got back from Gainesville a few hours ago...not a bad interview day. It was long though! My interviewers were nice people (though one of them totally grilled me on the healthcare reform debate) and I had a decent time. It was weird though, because out of 16 people being interviewed, 13 of them were students at UF! I was one of three from other schools...kind of intimidating. I'll post the feedback later...as for now I'm off too bed.

Anybody know what the stats are on how many they accept/defer/reject every week? Dr. Gessner (Chair of Admissions Committee) said that we'd get an email by next thursday with a decision as to accept/defer, but didn't specifically mention the possibility of being rejected right after the interview...maybe he just didn't want to unnerve us?

He told us that it's very rare to receive a flat out rejection. I would assume this would only be the case if you totally bombed your interview.

is anyone interviewing this friday??? I'm sooo excited but it's right in the middle of exam h**l week :(

Wow, I know this is suuuuuper super late, but here's to putting n the secondary at my undergrad school today! I spoke to Robert (those of u who went to undergrad at UF know who I'm talking about) and he said that UF doesn't send u a secondary unless they are truly interested in taking a better look at u and that I shud definitely go ahead and submit it...so that's what I'm doing. Now just waiting for an interview!

Wow, I know this is suuuuuper super late, but here's to putting n the secondary at my undergrad school today! I spoke to Robert (those of u who went to undergrad at UF know who I'm talking about) and he said that UF doesn't send u a secondary unless they are truly interested in taking a better look at u and that I shud definitely go ahead and submit it...so that's what I'm doing. Now just waiting for an interview!

The premed advisor, right?
I also sent this secondary in pretty late.
I just sent it last week. I was debating whether or not to send it...

The premed advisor, right?
I also sent this secondary in pretty late.
I just sent it last week. I was debating whether or not to send it...

Yeah, that's him. I was debating as well, but with his advice I decided I should go ahead and submit it. I've had it for a really long time, but financial issues prevented me from submitting it as early as I would have liked to. But apparently it might not hurt me that much here becuz of the way their admissions process works...they put most ppl on hold so that they can compare them to later applications anyway, so I guess I might still stand a chance! :D

UF doesn't care at all when you submit your secondary. My friend sent his in on 12/24(I think the deadline is the 25th) and got in problem, so good luck!

After getting the "Secondary File Complete" email, how long have people been waiting to be invited for an interview?

I go there, too, but after being complete since August, I still haven't received an invite:(.

Out of state and didn't go there as an undergrad. I have sent in my secondary though.

I was kind of shocked I got the secondary being out of state with a 29/3.8. I am older with a master's in accounting/previous career though.

Is there anyone who is a reapplicant with a UF Interview coming up? I really hope they dont reject me twice!!!

Is there anyone who is a reapplicant with a UF Interview coming up? I really hope they dont reject me twice!!!

I'm a reapplicant without an interview too, I don't think they like reapplicants :/

I was going to apply to this school but after hearing stories on how UF dislike re-applicants, I decided against it. I ain't going to get robbed twice.:D

I was going to apply to this school but after hearing stories on how UF dislike re-applicants, I decided against it. I ain't going to get robbed twice.:D

Oddly enough, I actually asked that question(idk why) during last year's interview with them, and the guy told me no, they don't discriminate against re-applicants.

I just got an an interview invite and am a reapplicant, so I guess it can happen.

I thought the admissions office said they re-review files that were put "on hold" in december and again in january. I haven't seen any action on here or anyone getting off hold. Anyone have any idea what is up with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.