2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't if I were you. All it does is destroy my fantasy that there are more acceptances coming. As if I didn't remember vividly well from last year.

Members don't see this ad.

Do we know how many got in off the waitlist last year?

Let's face it, we're ALL good candidates - we wouldn't have come this far if we weren't. We are all deserving in our own right, but we might just slip through the cracks, and there may be no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed harder than I ever have that I get some terrific news. But, I'm also hoping that if I am to be unsuccessful this year that someone even more deserving than me gets some terrific news.

I don't believe that I've met any of you, but I've appreciated your company through these months of waiting. It's just nice to know that I'm not waiting alone.

Good luck to everyone. If not this year - maybe next. Regardless of how long it takes, everyone here who really wants to be WILL be a doctor.

(Okay, sappy perhaps, but I felt the need to share.)

Thanks! I agree. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I am SOOOO not looking forward to doing this again though... This wait is incredibly stressful. I feel like I'm going to have a head of gray hair by the time I'm thirty if I have to go through another application cycle! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't if I were you. All it does is destroy my fantasy that there are more acceptances coming. As if I didn't remember vividly well from last year.

Oh man, I should have listened to you and not read that thread. Hope is slowly dying. :(

Thanks! I agree. It's nice to know I'm not alone. I am SOOOO not looking forward to doing this again though... This wait is incredibly stressful. I feel like I'm going to have a head of gray hair by the time I'm thirty if I have to go through another application cycle! :laugh:

I've decided that not getting in this year won't necessarily discourage me, but it will certainly frustrate me.

hey whats the deal with the food situation. is it possible for med students to eat at the dhalls? i dont exactly know how to cook so that would be amazing. if its not possible then im going to starve this up coming year

hey whats the deal with the food situation. is it possible for med students to eat at the dhalls? i dont exactly know how to cook so that would be amazing. if its not possible then im going to starve this up coming year

Get a crock pot and Slow Cooking for Dummies or an equivalent cookbook, for real - you can even buy disposable liners for them so you don't have to wash the pot, if you're really lazy or opposed to doing dishes, like I am. Chop & bag the stuff the night before, then in the morning, dump it into the liner in the pot, set the thing to go, and when you get home around dinner time you will have 8-10 servings of delicious ready to go.

I don't know anything about the dining halls though - sorry :oops:

Should today be an Adcom day on the basis of the alternate week schedule? I haven't been keeping track.

Should today be an Adcom day on the basis of the alternate week schedule? I haven't been keeping track.

Based on the alternate week schedule, they are due for a meeting this week. However, a) its UNC spring break, so I don't know if they'll still meet or not, and b) I don't think they doled out any acceptances 2 weeks ago (at least to people on this thread.) So they might be on a different schedule now that its so late in the process - pretty hard to say.

EDIT: I should have done this first, but I just looked at the thread from last year because I was curious about whether the committee met during spring break. There was one SDNer who received an acceptance the Tuesday morning after the Monday committee meeting the week of SB, so it is possible that they'll meet today. (If me saying that severely decreases your productivity today, I sincerely apologize.)

Last edited:
If anyone happens to call for some reason, please let us know if the admissions office answered (I'm at hospital all day so can't call). I hope they're open today and meeting.

Nothing personal, but would those of you engaging in discussions about crock pots and landlords take your discussion to the FB UNC page or start another thread? A lot of us have not heard anything yet and it's a little inconsiderate - like dangling candy in front of a child... just my opinion.

But congrats to you guys who have heard and got in. I am sure the rest of us will either hear positive news from UNC or end up matriculating elsewhere, but your "problems" are our hopes and dreams right now.

Hey guys-

I hope all of you here back soon as well. I just received the phone call w/ the acceptance 20 minutes ago. I interviewed in mid-February.

Best of luck to you all and I really hope you guys get the same call very soon :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing personal, but would those of you engaging in discussions about crock pots and landlords take your discussion to the FB UNC page or start another thread? A lot of us have not heard anything yet and it's a little inconsiderate - like dangling candy in front of a child... just my opinion.

But congrats to you guys who have heard and got in. I am sure the rest of us will either hear positive news from UNC or end up matriculating elsewhere, but your "problems" are our hopes and dreams right now.

Thank you for that.

Congrats to you corsica1!

I got the call today too...interviewed at the end of November.

For those of you still waiting, good luck!

I received the call at 7:53 tonight as well. I interviewed in middle of December. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats to everyone who heard today! I'm out of the country for a few more days, but hopefully good news will be waiting for me when I return :xf:

Congrats to those who got the blessed call last night.

For the rest of us, would you mind sharing your stats, interview date, and/or your adcom member? Thanks - it helps by giving us more to obsess about....

So as of yesterday, students who interviewed end of November and middle of December were accepted. I interviewed between those two; so my application must have been reviewed yesterday as well. I did not get a call or anything. At this point, should I be expecting a rejection or waitlist letter? Or is there some kind of notification that you're on hold until the next adcom? Are they even bothering to roll over at this point? - it's pretty late in the game.

Jagonzo - its really hard to say what the adcom will do. I'd say to optimistically assume you're still being considered until you receive a rejection - I know someone who interviewed in October last year and got accepted at the end of March (long after some of the January/February interviewees received their acceptances.) Clearly there are fewer spots left now so those of us who haven't heard have a lower chance, but I wouldn't write this school off.

I interviewed in October (and someone from my interview group got in early December) but didn't hear back til February. They've got all that silly subcommittee/committee stuff going on which makes the process even more confusing :rolleyes:.

Thanks for the reassurance and optimism, friends. I feel like every time I crack the system, it just gets more confusing and complicated.

Congrats to everyone who got in yesterday! I'm still without news but hopefully there's still a chance for all of us waiting!

ahhh, i just got a scholarship call from UNC. $65,000. i'm OOS. excied beyond words. definitely has moved up to number one now

Wow! Congrats. You must be pretty incredible! I hope to have the opportunity to study along side you in the fall!

Wow! Congrats. You must be pretty incredible! I hope to have the opportunity to study along side you in the fall!

Thank you, i appreciate that kind comment.

Question for you guys, though, does anyone know how NC residency works after the first year? The lady told me 26,000 the first year then 13,000 the last three years. Is it possible to get residency after 1st year? cuz if i'm not mistaken, if i can, that would make it that i only pay $10,000 for all 4 years.

Thank you, i appreciate that kind comment.

Question for you guys, though, does anyone know how NC residency works after the first year? The lady told me 26,000 the first year then 13,000 the last three years. Is it possible to get residency after 1st year? cuz if i'm not mistaken, if i can, that would make it that i only pay $10,000 for all 4 years.
congrats! I believe it is fairly easy to get in-state in NC after a year. just make sure you change your driver's license, register to vote, and most importantly file your taxes as a NC resident for 2010. It's even more assured if you are married and your spouse works in NC.

so at this point i take it that no acceptance probably means waitlist at best?

any idea roughly how many people get in from the waitlist every year?

Got an acceptance call on tues. night. Also have a friend who got a call on Tues.

I interviewed in January and my friend interviewed late January.

ahhh, i just got a scholarship call from UNC. $65,000. i'm OOS. excied beyond words. definitely has moved up to number one now

I just got the full tuition scholarship call too!!! I got a call today but she told me it was 64k and that it would fully cover tuition for all 4 years. Either way this definitely moves the school up on my list.

So us loosers who still have not heard anything... any ideas if they have ended the offers? Already sent out rejections? Do we get emails or do they at least have the courtesy to sign a letter and put some postage on it?

m.

So us loosers who still have not heard anything... any ideas if they have ended the offers? Already sent out rejections? Do we get emails or do they at least have the courtesy to sign a letter and put some postage on it?

m.

Called on Tuesday last week and asked flat out if there were still seats left for the incoming class. Supposedly there are still, which is good except for the fact that it makes some part of me grasp at the shred of hope that I might still get in. I'm not holding my breath, though, and from what I've heard/read, their waitlist doesn't move much, so that shred of hope is literally just a shred. Mad props to you if you are able to maintain more optimism than me in this regard...

Called on Tuesday last week and asked flat out if there were still seats left for the incoming class. Supposedly there are still, which is good except for the fact that it makes some part of me grasp at the shred of hope that I might still get in. I'm not holding my breath, though, and from what I've heard/read, their waitlist doesn't move much, so that shred of hope is literally just a shred. Mad props to you if you are able to maintain more optimism than me in this regard...

for the second look we have to register online (like we did for the interview). 114 students have rsvp'd (either yes or no) and the deadline to respond either way was march 12. so assuming that most students have responded, it looks like there may be several seats left.

I am not enjoying all of the recent pessimism on this forum. I look to this forum for some support! It's not over until it's over.

for the second look we have to register online (like we did for the interview). 114 students have rsvp'd (either yes or no) and the deadline to respond either way was march 12. so assuming that most students have responded, it looks like there may be several seats left.

Thanks for the inside info!

I am not enjoying all of the recent pessimism on this forum. I look to this forum for some support! It's not over until it's over.

Sorry. I look to the forum for support too, but personally I get pretty down about it and it helps me to be able to share with people who might actually know how I am feeling. People ask me all the time when I am starting med school, but I have to tell them it just might not happen this year. And it's hard to stay positive when I am just hoping to be allowed the opportunity to take out $100K in student loans while other people are posting about how they got a full-ride... You have to admit it's depressing! If you have good advice about how to stay more upbeat, please share!!!

Sorry. I look to the forum for support too, but personally I get pretty down about it and it helps me to be able to share with people who might actually know how I am feeling. People ask me all the time when I am starting med school, but I have to tell them it just might not happen this year. And it's hard to stay positive when I am just hoping to be allowed the opportunity to take out $100K in student loans while other people are posting about how they got a full-ride... You have to admit it's depressing! If you have good advice about how to stay more upbeat, please share!!!

Yes, I admit it's hard to congratulate others for achieving what you can only dream of today. But you've got to consider your situation - what's the very worst that could happen? The worst that happens is that we lose a year. That's the WORST that could happen. Just because we do not get in this year does not mean that we do not get in at all. There are plenty of reapplicants, and it is not at all unusual to have to reapply, maybe even for several years. And I, too, even ISS, have to take out a tremendous amount in loans to stay in school. I am not saying that this situation is by any means ideal, and I am hoping against hope that I can get in this year, but it just might not happen. For the time, we've got to remain optimistic but prepare for the worst. Regardless of what happens, you're not alone. Don't give up.

Is 160 or a few more this year. 180-200 offers go out from what I have heard... Seems like there will be more offers coming and not just two or three. Maybe the fat lady has not sung.

I hear singing, and I can tell by her wonderful baritone, that she is infact, fat. And I'm pretty sure she is bearded too.

Does anybody know if the adcom is meeting today? I called earlier about the status of my application and all they said was that they hope to finish everything by the end of March.

I emailed my Adcom member pleading for her to go to bat for me in a moment of desperation. I got an email back earlier, saying that the last Adcom meeting was a few weeks ago (March 8th I think). She also apologized because she was out of the country and didn't know how things turned out for me but wished me luck. Wonderful.

Anyway, I think this confirms that Adcom meetings are over. Waitlists and rejections will come out the beginning of April.

Man, I am realllllllllllllllyyyyyy not looking forward to doing this again.

I emailed my Adcom member pleading for her to go to bat for me in a moment of desperation. I got an email back earlier, saying that the last Adcom meeting was a few weeks ago (March 8th I think). She also apologized because she was out of the country and didn't know how things turned out for me but wished me luck. Wonderful.

Anyway, I think this confirms that Adcom meetings are over. Waitlists and rejections will come out the beginning of April.

Man, I am realllllllllllllllyyyyyy not looking forward to doing this again.

I don't understand how there could be seats left (as per the info given to teddy bear) when there are no meetings left. :confused:

I just called up to the admissions office, thinking, OK if they are done then they probably have a result on my application. I spoke with Randee, and she sounded frustrated, but she said that she is still waiting for the results of the admissions committee and that there are still decisions to be made. So I'm confused. Maybe it was the last sub-committee meeting that she was referring to.
Then again, I think that the front office has been known to act as a screen for the rest of the office and hands out bad information routinely to get people off the phone. The standard whats your name? Oh youll hear in a couple weeks response.
So Im not sure whats going on.
From last years thread there were no acceptances from this point until May 18th when the waitlist first moved. Keeping my fingers crossed otherwise though.

I just called up to the admissions office, thinking, OK if they are done then they probably have a result on my application. I spoke with Randee, and she sounded frustrated, but she said that she is still waiting for the results of the admissions committee and that there are still decisions to be made. So I'm confused. Maybe it was the last sub-committee meeting that she was referring to.
Then again, I think that the front office has been known to act as a screen for the rest of the office and hands out bad information routinely to get people off the phone. The standard whats your name? Oh youll hear in a couple weeks response.
So Im not sure whats going on.
From last years thread there were no acceptances from this point until May 18th when the waitlist first moved. Keeping my fingers crossed otherwise though.

I don't know ... I don't see how the last adcom meeting could have been on the 8th. The interviews just ended recently and I know that they were behind. Maybe she was referring to the last time the adcom met? I know that was the 8th ... which should mean the next meeting is on the 22nd. No worries ... they told me that they wanted to finish up by the end of March, which means at least one meeting left. Good luck!! :)

this is what I'm thinking -- UNC is waiting to hear from a handful of people who might be choosing to go to another top-ranked school they got into. Although they technically have until May 15th, I feel like most of them get accepted by Mid-March into these programs so they might either be withdrawing or holding their acceptance based on their decision...either way we should hear some from UNC soon

I am tempted to email my committee member and ask if I ever went through large committee. It has been like 7 months since my interview, and I have not heard a word. I am just contemplating on whether this would be "out-of-line" to do this...

Last edited:
First of all thanks so much to those of you who made the calls and passed on the information - this saves Randee a few more aggravating moments and us from pestering her. It's very helpful!

My impression is that Randee is being inundated with calls and she is frustrated not with us but with the fact that she has no news to pass on.

Also, I was told that there ARE seats still open/offers that can be made, and right now people are being held for either offers and then waitlist, although I am assuming the worst in my case, you never know. It varies from year to year and I have a couple of friends who received offers from UNC as late as April.

BTW when I wrote "us loosers" I meant nothing directly, just being sarcastic - I feel that it is plain rude for some of these schools who take you as far as an interview and they can't even be bothered to send you an actual letter. I've heard some just never hear...

But alas the nature of the beast won't change to suit my whims. We all joined this game knowing the rules ahead of time...

Good luck anyone. You never know, if you don't get in UNC this year, it could be because there is a better school out there for you next year you never would have known about.

Peace,
m.

My Adcom Member definitely said she THINKS that FINAL decisions were made last week. Now either she is mistaken, or this is the case. I'm a little worried that she doesnt know my status or something like when the committee meets. Now I dont know how the system works, but maybe a different committee has a stack of maybes and they will decide which will get the last seats and waitlist the rest. We know there are sub committees and committees and were not completely clear on the interaction between the two.
Although if acceptances were made last week, and they were notified, and that must be the final meeting, then I just don't understand how we can reconcile these two conflicting clues.

I still look at last year however, which I also applied in, and nothing happened until the waitlist started moving May 18th as I said previously. Trust me, I neurotically checked 6-7 times a day during that period as I slowly realized I was not going to get in, so I know what happened. I am still optimistic for this year (and still a damn fool), so I hope there are seats. That would be amazing.:xf:

Anyway, whether there are seats left here or not, there are still seats in the form of the waitlist.
Good Luck Guys, stay positive.

So people have gotten in the habit of sending me inspirational quotes through this process, I thought I would include a few here.

If your face is swollen from the severe beatings of life, smile and pretend to be a fat man.-unknown

It ain't over, till its over......do not dispair yet, but get your ass in gear for the next round if you are going to stay the course-my mom

'Imagine life is s game in which you are juggling five balls. The balls are called work, family, health, friends, and integrity. And you're keeping all of them in the air. But one day you finally understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back. The other four balls - family, health, friends, integrity - are made of glass. If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked, perhaps even shattered. And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life.' -from Suzanne's Diary for Nicolas

"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." – Michael Jordan

Yea you're right, absolutely- I should have mentioned that. I didn't count hearsay, only verified reports. So I guess theres that caveat.

Status
Not open for further replies.