2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every other Sunday night I can't sleep because I think today is going to be the day, and then when Monday comes I feel worse than the previous time

I feel the EXACT same way. Two more weeks and I guess we'll all try again...

Members don't see this ad.

MAnnnnn.... I was really hoping tonight would be the night :(

Guess it's another 2 weeks of staying in Limbo:boom:

Whether it's consolatory or just prolongs your agony-- I didn't get the call until the Tuesday morning following the adcom meeting.. around 10 am :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Whether it's consolatory or just prolongs your agony-- I didn't get the call until the Tuesday morning following the adcom meeting.. around 10 am :oops:

A little of both, but thanks! It's nice to have a little more hope, even if it means one more sleepless night.

And look on the bright side, friends, at least we haven't been rejected yet! Pretty sure those come early into adcom days and as e-mails.

I just interviewed, and I loved the school! Does anyone know how long it typically takes for people that interview this late in the cycle to hear back?

I just interviewed, and I loved the school! Does anyone know how long it typically takes for people that interview this late in the cycle to hear back?

I expect they make all their final decisions by April, which is probably about the same time you could expect your application to go to committee in a typical timeline. Good luck!

I expect they make all their final decisions by April, which is probably about the same time you could expect your application to go to committee in a typical timeline. Good luck!

I was under the impression that the AAMC requires a tentative list of acceptees from schools by March 15th; which I thought to mean the school has sent out all their acceptances and new acceptances are from the trickle down effect of students not making their choices by May 15th.

I was under the impression that the AAMC requires a tentative list of acceptees from schools by March 15th; which I thought to mean the school has sent out all their acceptances and new acceptances are from the trickle down effect of students not making their choices by May 15th.

You may very well be right. It would be nice to hear something as soon as March 15th.

How do they handle OOS acceptances?

Have they been doling them out as they interview or do they hold the majority until March 15th?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they handle OOS acceptances?

Have they been doling them out as they interview or do they hold the majority until March 15th?

They have been doling them out as they interview. I am OOS and received the news roughly 6 weeks post interview.

Having checked my phone every 2 minutes for the past 22 hours, I can definitively tell you that I did not receive a call. Every week I die a litte inside.

couldn't agree with you guys more.

here's to hoping that 100% of UNC's interviewees are represented on SDN and accurately reporting if they have received a phone call or not, in a timely manner (0.43 seconds after they hang up)! :p

Agreed! Let's just hope they couldn't agree on any kids this past meeting because they're ALL so awesome!! :xf:

[Enter Medical School Name, Please God!] Class of 2014!!!
Exactly.

I'd take anything at this point. Please save this lab rat!
But UNC would be nice. While I'm at it, I'll take Duke and Vandy please. Thanks.

aren't interviews done at UNC? (the admissions website says they go from sept-feb)

anyone have any clue if there are any seats left?

aren't interviews done at UNC? (the admissions website says they go from sept-feb)

anyone have any clue if there are any seats left?

Today is the last day of interviews.

Also, UNC will likely make many more offers than they have seats because they do not expect all 160 original offers to accept.

i guess anyone who is extended a regular acceptance (i.e. not off the waitlist or something) can expect to get it before the second-glance weekend thing? not sure exactly when that is, but i think its in the next few weeks?

i guess anyone who is extended a regular acceptance (i.e. not off the waitlist or something) can expect to get it before the second-glance weekend thing? not sure exactly when that is, but i think its in the next few weeks?

March 20th.

Anyone heard back about financial aid packages or loyalty fund scholarships? Or know when these may come out?

Does anyone know if tonight is one of those nights I should be sweating and nervous all night, followed up by a healthy dose of disappointment?
Is this an adcom night?
And on last years message board I only found evidence of two people being accepted in March. Oh Lord.

Does anyone know if tonight is one of those nights I should be sweating and nervous all night, followed up by a healthy dose of disappointment?
Is this an adcom night?
And on last years message board I only found evidence of two people being accepted in March. Oh Lord.

That's scary. I wonder how many acceptances have gone out.

I was under the impression that last monday was an ad-com night but since no one reported a call, I guess they could have changed up the schedule at some point.

I was under the impression that last monday was an ad-com night but since no one reported a call, I guess they could have changed up the schedule at some point.

Next week is UNC spring break, so I wonder if they changed it up to account for that?

I echo the comment about few acceptances in March on last year's thread. However, it seems like how they do things kind of varies from year to year, so who knows. It seemed like the calls that did go out in March in 2009 were really inconsistent with the Monday night trend, so its probably pointless for us to be stressing out Monday evening.

*Sigh* I can't imagine going through another application cycle...

guesses as to how many acceptances theyll give out? for 160 seats maybe 200 acceptances?

also, do these "extra" acceptances typically go out around this time? or do they account for waitlist activity that wont happen till much later?

210-220, according to 2007's numbers.

I saw elsewhere that it was muchj much less than this for last year, like 194 seats or less. Like the waitlist barely moved last year. I would know- I was on it.

I cant remember where I saw that number, but I am willing to bet it was earlier in this thread.

Did anyone interview with Dr. Canon (ADCOM member) this year? If so I would love to hear from you and what your experience was like.

Thanks
m.

I called today to try and fish for info about this (without being too direct or giving my name :)) but came up with nothing. All they said was that not all offers had been made, since they just stopped interviewing last week, and that everyone should have heard "something" by the end of the month. It's getting hard to hold out hope that "something" is an acceptance and not a rejection or waitlist. Also, at this point it sort of seems like a waitlist is just sadistic. I know that it's good, cause it means there is still a chance, but at the same time it almost seems like, "hey, we have kept you on the line for 4 months now. Keep waiting sucka!" Anyone else feel like this???

I called today to try and fish for info about this (without being too direct or giving my name :)) but came up with nothing. All they said was that not all offers had been made, since they just stopped interviewing last week, and that everyone should have heard "something" by the end of the month. It's getting hard to hold out hope that "something" is an acceptance and not a rejection or waitlist. Also, at this point it sort of seems like a waitlist is just sadistic. I know that it's good, cause it means there is still a chance, but at the same time it almost seems like, "hey, we have kept you on the line for 4 months now. Keep waiting sucka!" Anyone else feel like this???

:hello:..I do! at least we haven't been rejected

I've heard from very credible sources that UNC likes to keep students hanging in limbo without ever filling them in about their status. It seems to be a horrible realization that those of us waiting may actually never hear anything AT ALL, it may in fact be a reality we'll have to face.

ALso, a short anecdote: My mother works with a resident who never once heard back from UNC during application/interview season but finally received the rejection letter from UNC halfway through his 1st year at another med school. ****ty...

I've heard from very credible sources that UNC likes to keep students hanging in limbo without ever filling them in about their status. It seems to be a horrible realization that those of us waiting may actually never hear anything AT ALL, it may in fact be a reality we'll have to face.

ALso, a short anecdote: My mother works with a resident who never once heard back from UNC during application/interview season but finally received the rejection letter from UNC halfway through his 1st year at another med school. ****ty...

That sounds awful. I hope that isn't true. Maybe it was lost or really slow getting through the mail?

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you guys - the waiting is awful :xf:

Anyone who already confirmed receipt of their tuition deposit/acceptance sheet know how long it takes to get such confirmation? Debating calling - would like to hurry up and withdrawals in/open up spots @ other schools.

Still keeping my fingers crossed for you guys - the waiting is awful :xf:

Anyone who already confirmed receipt of their tuition deposit/acceptance sheet know how long it takes to get such confirmation? Debating calling - would like to hurry up and withdrawals in/open up spots @ other schools.

It took me about a week to get an email titled "UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - ACCEPTANCE FORM RECEIVED." The next day I received one titled "UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - DEPOSIT RECEIVED." Is that what you're referring to?

I hope that's the only confirmation we need. This was in November though, so they may be a little backed up now?

Anyone know when orientation/first day of classes are for this year?

It took me about a week to get an email titled "UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - ACCEPTANCE FORM RECEIVED." The next day I received one titled "UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE - DEPOSIT RECEIVED." Is that what you're referring to?

I hope that's the only confirmation we need. This was in November though, so they may be a little backed up now?

That's the one I am referring to, and this is helpful - thanks :) I would guess they are probably more backed up now and will probably call both admiss and finaid offices tomorrow just to see if I can get word sooner.

Last year orientation started the 10th-ish of August - assuming it will start the same week this year.

Did anyone hear anything today? I checked the mail... and another let down. It does feel like I die a little inside. Anyone know if they meet over spring break? It feels cold and empty not hearing anything.

I called today...And I asked if they were still giving out acceptances and they said yes... I wish I knew how many more...

This is my second time applying to UNC. Last year, the admissions office was very, very quiet during March. There were a couple of acceptances that got reported, but for the most part, very little movement. They also said we'd hear by the end of the month, but it was mid-April before rejections and waitlist notifications really started arriving full-force. I hope we all hear something soon, but judging from experience last year, we probably should all just relax and cross our fingers until early April.

This is my second time applying to UNC. Last year, the admissions office was very, very quiet during March. There were a couple of acceptances that got reported, but for the most part, very little movement. They also said we'd hear by the end of the month, but it was mid-April before rejections and waitlist notifications really started arriving full-force. I hope we all hear something soon, but judging from experience last year, we probably should all just relax and cross our fingers until early April.

Did they give out a lot of acceptances in April???

For this year specifically, the ad office also said that those of us waiting should hear by the end of the month. Maybe that means mid-April accounting for mail speed, but it'll be nice to hear something.

Mine too. And last year all we got is waitlist letters and rejections at this point. I really don't want to have to do this a third year. I really don't understand what is holding me back, I look good on paper. 3.5/36Q/ Instate/ lots of clinical and research and service experience. I thought my interviews went very well too. Maybe I accidently cut off Dr. Bashford one day while I was driving around.
On a side note, I pulled up next to Dr. Bashford the other day at a stop light. It was pretty awkward. I didn't know whether to beep my horn and wave or act like I hadn't seen him. I tried to catch his eye but he never looked over.

Did they give out a lot of acceptances in April???

To my recollection, no. I'm pretty sure there were a few that went out in late March...maybe one or two into early April...but beyond that, at this point it was mostly waitlists/rejections.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, obviously there are still open spots and we don't know how the situation is this year compared to last year. But, if it goes the same, there will be a handful of acceptances in the next few weeks, followed by rejections and waitlists in early/mid-April.

To my recollection, no. I'm pretty sure there were a few that went out in late March...maybe one or two into early April...but beyond that, at this point it was mostly waitlists/rejections.

I'm not saying this to discourage anyone, obviously there are still open spots and we don't know how the situation is this year compared to last year. But, if it goes the same, there will be a handful of acceptances in the next few weeks, followed by rejections and waitlists in early/mid-April.

Let's face it, we're ALL good candidates - we wouldn't have come this far if we weren't. We are all deserving in our own right, but we might just slip through the cracks, and there may be no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed harder than I ever have that I get some terrific news. But, I'm also hoping that if I am to be unsuccessful this year that someone even more deserving than me gets some terrific news.

I don't believe that I've met any of you, but I've appreciated your company through these months of waiting. It's just nice to know that I'm not waiting alone.

Good luck to everyone. If not this year - maybe next. Regardless of how long it takes, everyone here who really wants to be WILL be a doctor.

(Okay, sappy perhaps, but I felt the need to share.)

Pretty discouraging stuff, I'll have to go read last year's thread. Hopefully things are a little different this year. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.