2009-2010 University of North Carolina (UNC) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else have problems signing onto applicantcentral.unc.edu?? I called last week and was advised it was a known and documented problem and that i should keep trying.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm hoping that since I haven't heard anything yet that I've made to the next (and possibly final) round of cuts. I imagine they can't have too many more adcom days left.

I interviewed Dec. 1st. Certainly they've looked at me by now? I'm still going on "no news is good news."

So, I'm hoping that since I haven't heard anything yet that I've made to the next (and possibly final) round of cuts. I imagine they can't have too many more adcom days left.

I interviewed Dec. 1st. Certainly they've looked at me by now? I'm still going on "no news is good news."

Nov. 16th here. In the same boat, as far as being excited that they will at least be telling me *something* soon... In the meantime, I am getting pumped about making my school list for reapplying next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any calls today? I called today and they sounded super annoyed (which I think is pretty insane ... it's not like the wait is an easy thing for us). Either way ... she sounded like all that was left was rejections/wait lists. Supposedly will send out everything at once. I don't know how much I trust her information. She seemed like she just wanted to get me off of the phone.

Either way ... she sounded like all that was left was rejections/wait lists. Supposedly will send out everything at once.

Did she actually SAY acceptances were done? Who did you talk to? And does "at once" mean "all at the same time" or "immediately?"

I know that last one is very subjective, so I'm just wondering what your impression was on that...

I totally hear you on the finding it strange that they are annoyed with the calling. I understand in one sense -- I mean, it might annoy me too! -- but still it's like, "well, maybe if you got back to people a little sooner, instead of keeping them in limbo for 4 months (or 6, in the case of premedstdnt!!!), then people wouldn't be calling so often and annoying you!" And yes, I know it takes a while to coordinate meetings, but still...

Sorry, just had to vent. Apparently the grief stages are a little backward for me :)

Any calls today? I called today and they sounded super annoyed (which I think is pretty insane ... it's not like the wait is an easy thing for us). Either way ... she sounded like all that was left was rejections/wait lists. Supposedly will send out everything at once. I don't know how much I trust her information. She seemed like she just wanted to get me off of the phone.

Maybe it was Jonie? They are probably frustrated because they get the calls from the irate students, while at the same time the ADCOM and the dean are telling her "soon" "soon" etc. and she is stuck between two rough spots - but being rude to students is not cool. Jonie is nice tho usually.

Can you elaborate on what she said? I am about to call myself and will post if I get an answer. I am not too hopeful right now, and actually kind of annoyed...

withdrew post interview.
good luck to those still waiting

Randee, talked to her, she is very very nice. She told me that they are done making offers. The committees are meeting to decide about "waitlists" or "unsuccessful" attempts.

So that's it folks... WL or the big R.

love,
m.

Randee, talked to her, she is very very nice. She told me that they are done making offers. The committees are meeting to decide about "waitlists" or "unsuccessful" attempts.

So that's it folks... WL or the big R.

love,
m.

Thanks for the info... :(.

Yeah, I talked to Renee too. I can't say she was quite as nice to me ... but I did get the same message. Offers are finished. Sadly :( ... I guess we'll know if we are on the WL or R soon? Maybe.

Yeah, I talked to Renee too. I can't say she was quite as nice to me ... but I did get the same message. Offers are finished. Sadly :( ... I guess we'll know if we are on the WL or R soon? Maybe.

because I've applied eight times and now we're BFFs.

Members don't see this ad :)
because I've applied eight times and now we're BFFs.

Hopefully by next year well be BFFs too bc obviously it's not happening this year. I just don't understand it anymore.

Sooo I know sometimes they make the acceptance calls in the evening. I just wonder if the news today that they are finished making offers means that tonight is the last night for good phone calls...

I am cringing at this pathetic little shred of hope I am holding onto that there are still a few more hours to have some luck turn around.

Die, hope, die, so this illusion doesn't have to last any longer! haha *sigh*

Good luck all, maybe see you around on the 2010-2011 applicant cycle!

Sooo I know sometimes they make the acceptance calls in the evening. I just wonder if the news today that they are finished making offers means that tonight is the last night for good phone calls...

I am cringing at this pathetic little shred of hope I am holding onto that there are still a few more hours to have some luck turn around.

Die, hope, die, so this illusion doesn't have to last any longer! haha *sigh*

Good luck all, maybe see you around on the 2010-2011 applicant cycle!

I'm thinking there will be no acceptance calls tonight based on the last few posts. Me so sad. :(

I guess if we get a letter in the mail this week, we shouldn't get our hopes up. Just assume it is a WL or R.

Hopefully by next year well be BFFs too bc obviously it's not happening this year. I just don't understand it anymore.

Randee Ried is not on the adcom and has no say. Too bad because for some reason she has been a big supporter of mine for some reason. Not that it has helped in any way other than getting my hopes falsely up, and sometimes she gives me inside information but that is not worth much either.

m.

decisions are coming out at the end of this week..GL to all!

decisions are coming out at the end of this week..GL to all!

Just want to clarify what this means - you mean they are sending out the waitlist and rejection letters? How do you know this?

Also, an open question for anyone...how do they notify of waitlists? Rejections? Will we get letters or emails?

Just want to clarify what this means - you mean they are sending out the waitlist and rejection letters? How do you know this?

Also, an open question for anyone...how do they notify of waitlists? Rejections? Will we get letters or emails?

Last year waitlist notifications came through email and rejections came through snailmail

Randee said they are trying to get all their decisions by the end of this week. Like others have mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's waitlists and rejections. Waitlists will probably be emailed

Randee said they are trying to get all their decisions by the end of this week. Like others have mentioned, I'm pretty sure it's waitlists and rejections. Waitlists will probably be emailed

a word of warning: last year at about this time they were saying the same thing but the letters weren't actually sent out until like a month after they said they would be. All the waitlist emails went out about the same time (I think all in the same day) and the rejection letters didn't go out until mid April.

I called today and Randee said they are expecting all final decisions to go out tomorrow. Also she told me everything except acceptances are going out via e-mail.

Thanks for the info. Good luck everyone.

now I'm definitely super nervous! Good luck guys ... I know I'll be checking my e-mail every 5 minutes tomorrow. This could potentially be a super bad weekend.

This could potentially be a super bad weekend.
I'm going to Chicago for the weekend. I'm probably going to try to avoid looking at my e-mail. I've waited 5.5 months already might as well enjoy my weekend in ignorance instead of possibly ruining it.

+1!!! You're the man (or woman), so to speak.
Man, and your welcome. She seemed to be in a good mood. Maybe it was because she actually had some information to give out, or one more day until the amount of calls go down tremendously.

No, but I'm hoping I don't get an email today. :oops:

Yeah, true! I'm so tired of checking my email ... haha, what a stressful day! I bet they won't be sent out until around 5. Sad :(

i called yesterday as well and was told by eric that everything left now is rejections and waitlists and we should receive all the decisions by next wednesday, the only thing going out by email are the waitlists

i called yesterday as well and was told by eric that everything left now is rejections and waitlists and we should receive all the decisions by next wednesday, the only thing going out by email are the waitlists

hate to admit it, but I believe this more... it is how things ended up working out last year. There were rumors of acceptance still going out, but I don't remember hearing of anyone getting one at this point. It sucks, but if we're still waiting, the best we can hope for is a waitlist at this point :(

WTF! Just give me my rejection already, I have been waiting almost 7 months since my interview, and I thought today was going to be the day to find out something in the least bit conclusive.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! < that is how I feel right now.

One person said only rejections are going by mail and WL by email. Another said only WL are going by mail and rejections by email. One was from Eric and the other was from Randee.

Can you clarify? Not that it matters that much in the end, I still feel scre**d either way after busting my hump doing what they asked after not getting in last year and still not getting any love... (and I am, soooo, soooo loveable if you only knew...)

Next year I will get into a better school, in a better place for me, and I'll fly far, far away in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

Apparently nothing. I'm so tired of the admissions office not making up their mind. One of my friends called yesterday ... and it seems like the day has been moved to Wednesday. Supposedly all decisions will be made by then ... whatever that means.

sorry guys, this isn't the first time I've called and someone told me something that was incorrect. I called several months ago and at the end of the conversation asked if the committee was meeting that day and was was told no. The next day I saw some people on here say they got accepted. Randee did say the only thing they are sending by mail are acceptances because you have to fill out paperwork.

...you did just fine. Not your job to manage the admissions office. Tho I wish someone would...

sorry guys, this isn't the first time I've called and someone told me something that was incorrect. I called several months ago and at the end of the conversation asked if the committee was meeting that day and was was told no. The next day I saw some people on here say they got accepted. Randee did say the only thing they are sending by mail are acceptances because you have to fill out paperwork.

I agree. Thank you for the information. I was told the same thing as you (Friday) when I called. I guess we'll know eventually.

Anyone have any confidence whatsoever that today's the day we'll finally hear something? :laugh:

Anyone have any confidence whatsoever that today's the day we'll finally hear something? :laugh:

oh i'm pretty skeptical. and with all these conflicting reports, if i get an email that says UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE in my inbox today...i don't know what i should feel ;)

gotta love the all-caps subject lines

my classmate said he called this morning, and they said they were suppose to be giving out emails today, tom, mon, and tues.

my classmate said he called this morning, and they said they were suppose to be giving out emails today, tom, mon, and tues.

I called and talked to Eric. He said the bulk will be going out tomorrow and some will be going out Monday and Tuesday. He also said I was correct about the waitlists and rejections going out by e-mail.

Did he mention if any acceptances were remaining? ... or only WL and R?

I called the admissions office today. They seemed "frazzled" to say the least. I was able to get a little bit out of Eric Shuler today though, and also I spoke with Mrs. Reid several weeks ago (March 3). To the best of my understanding, this is the information relayed to me:

On March 5, interviews concluded. March 8 committee met for the final time to hand out acceptances. However, as many of you know, once you interview and go before committee you can be rejected, hold status, or accepted. When I called on the 3rd Mrs. Reid informed me that I was a hold status. I pressed a little further, and asked whether or not that was "good." She said yes and that the committee would meet again to determine which of the hold status persons get in, and that I shouldn't be at all discouraged. I spoke with Mr. Shuler today and he informed me that decisions were finalized today and that they would be sent out beginning tomorrow. I asked if there were students with acceptances and he said yes. Now, I am just guessing here, but I would think that some of us that are in limbo will get in. Also, many of us will get wait listed.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. It makes me feel better about my chances anyways~!? :) So for all of you out there, hold out some hope! And if I am off base with false hope, tell me!

E

I called the admissions office today. They seemed "frazzled" to say the least. I was able to get a little bit out of Eric Shuler today though, and also I spoke with Mrs. Reid several weeks ago (March 3). To the best of my understanding, this is the information relayed to me:

On March 5, interviews concluded. March 8 committee met for the final time to hand out acceptances. However, as many of you know, once you interview and go before committee you can be rejected, hold status, or accepted. When I called on the 3rd Mrs. Reid informed me that I was a hold status. I pressed a little further, and asked whether or not that was "good." She said yes and that the committee would meet again to determine which of the hold status persons get in, and that I shouldn't be at all discouraged. I spoke with Mr. Shuler today and he informed me that decisions were finalized today and that they would be sent out beginning tomorrow. I asked if there were students with acceptances and he said yes. Now, I am just guessing here, but I would think that some of us that are in limbo will get in. Also, many of us will get wait listed.

Just thought I would throw my 2 cents in. It makes me feel better about my chances anyways~!? :) So for all of you out there, hold out some hope! And if I am off base with false hope, tell me!

E

Thanks for the info. :) If Mr Shuler told you today that there were still some acceptances to be given out, then yeah there's still hope. It helps you to know that you were on hold and at least you weren't rejected outright.

Well you've just given me a bit of hope, I thought it was a lost cause. Either way it looks like there's a few more days of waiting so good luck everyone. :luck:

ETA: Does anyone remember (without having to scroll back all of these pages) if anyone has been rejected post-interview? I wonder if those of us who have been waiting since Oct/Nov were likely on hold, or if no one has been rejected yet and date of interview means nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.