2010-2011 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When does movement on the alternate list usually occur?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I was accepted yesterday around 10:30 am. I opened up an account just to let you know that the waitlist movement has begun sooner than we thought. I will be accepting the offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
I was accepted yesterday around 10:30 am. I opened up an account just to let you know that the waitlist movement has begun sooner than we thought. I will be accepting the offer.

Congrats!:soexcited: Did you get a phone call from Dean McQuail? Or was it through email?

Hey guys,

Congrats!
Did you send letter of intent or letter of interest recently? When were you interview if you do not mind telling?

Hey guys,

I was not prepared for this.

I don't remember who called me, as I was too excited and didn't catch the name. They sent me an email several hours after too. I sent in lots of LOIs, I think around 5-6 overall. However, all my LOIs were about a page and included significant updates, no fillers. Let me know if you guys have anymore questions. Good luck to you all!

I just got accepted! :thumbup::D:thumbup:

I got a call from Kiley Gove (assistant director) at around 12:30 PST. I'll most definitely accept considering the school is my top choice. Good luck to the rest of you and keep on sending those updates/LOIs!

Someone asked this earlier, so here's a timeline of what I did:

03/03 - Interview
03/04 - Contacted GWU admissions office and asked if I could set up a phone appointment with someone intimately part of admissions.
03/07 - Thank You! Letters sent
03/11 - Request from school to send additional information
03/12 - Additional information letter sent
03/20 - Letter of Intent sent
04/07 - Waitlisted
04/18 - Letter showing my continued interest sent
04/22 - Update Letter #1 (new volunteer experience). Also received an email from the director of admissions to set up a phone appointment.
04/27 - Talked with the director.
05/09 - Update Letter #2 (promotion)
05/10 - Recommendation Letter sent
05/12 - Accepted

GPA: 3.662
MCAT: 31Q
Non-traditional student - 2 years off
California resident

Last edited:
i sent a letter 2/2 and 3/23 (when they requested). should i send another one? any advice is appreciated.

You should definitely be sending a lot of letters showing your interest in the school. I've been told by many docs, who were in my situation, that you have to be very proactive and update the school as regularly as possible. However, at this point, it might be a little too late (sorry for being a downer). If you start sending letters now, the school might think you're just getting desperate for a spot somewhere. Saying that though, send one anyway - it can't make your chances any worse and it really just takes an hour or two from your day. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
When are we going to hear back about our financial aid offers? Last year it looked like they responded in the days before the 15th...

I was just accepted off the wait list!! I truly don't believe it and I'm still worried it might have been a mistake. I will definitely be joining the class!! (once I verify that this is really happening and it wasn't a mistake)

I was just accepted off the wait list!! I truly don't believe it and I'm still worried it might have been a mistake. I will definitely be joining the class!! (once I verify that this is really happening and it wasn't a mistake)

When did you get the call?

just wanted to let everyone know that i withdrew my acceptance. it was an extremely tough choice, but hopefully someone gets pulled off the waitlist! best of luck :)

just wanted to let everyone know that i withdrew my acceptance. it was an extremely tough choice, but hopefully someone gets pulled off the waitlist! best of luck :)

When we are both resident physicians, I'm gonna buy you a coffee. And not the cheap kind either! ;-)

Just released my spot at GW to accept an offer from UC San Diego. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

When are we going to hear back about our financial aid offers? Last year it looked like they responded in the days before the 15th...

I'm pretty sure it depends on when you submitted your GW financial aid app. I got mine last Friday and I submitted around April 16th.

Accepted today at 8AM :)

CA Resident. How do I join the Google group?

See you guys in the fall :)

Yey!!! Congrats! They send you the link to the google group a couple of days after the acceptance email!

Do they leave a message if you miss their call? Damn spotty cell phone coverage. I hope they're just getting started with the waitlist.

Do they leave a message if you miss their call? Damn spotty cell phone coverage. I hope they're just getting started with the waitlist.

Don't worry. I am pretty sure they will leave a message. I think they will also send an e-mail notification if you've been accepted.

Just released my spot at GW to accept an offer from UC San Diego. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I hope this means that a fellow jdmd can take your place :eek:

waitlisted and no other admission here :(

Any speculation on how much waitlist movement there will be and for how long? Hope it's not over yet.

:luck:

Made the toughest decision ever :confused:. Withdrew my acceptance and turned down a hefty scholarship. While tuition would have been lower, cost of living in DC was killing my budget no matter how I played with the $#'s. Good Luck to everyone on the waitlist and hopefully someone else will receive the $30k/year :idea: they offered me. Best Wishes and :luck: all!

Made the toughest decision ever :confused:. Withdrew my acceptance and turned down a hefty scholarship. While tuition would have been lower, cost of living in DC was killing my budget no matter how I played with the $#'s. Good Luck to everyone on the waitlist and hopefully someone else will receive the $30k/year :idea: they offered me. Best Wishes and :luck: all!

When did you withdraw???

Why so quiet? Was expecting some more movement today.

Accepted off the waitlist 10:45 am EST!!
3.97 GPA 30M MCAT
Good luck everyone :)

congrats to all those accepted!! did u guys send in a lot of updates/letters of interest??

Has anyone heard the status of the class? Is it full? How many spots are open?

For current students- how do you guys usually take notes? Are notes printed out and available for students or do we have to print them on our own? Do most students have laptops they bring to class?

Thanks!

I was accepted off the wait list today into the 5 year program, dropping my other acceptances and will be attending. Congrats to those who were accepted today also!

Is there a fb group?

I was accepted off the wait list today into the 5 year program, dropping my other acceptances and will be attending. Congrats to those who were accepted today also!

Is there a fb group?

What are your stats? And congrats!!

Is there a fb group?

Yea, search George Washington school of medicine and health sciences class of 2015. It'll pop up!

Is there a fb group?

you're turning down UT-Houston (I assume your instate as well) to go to a 5 year program at gw? What? :eek:

Just made this account to show people that hard work and perseverance can help you overcome any situation. This was my THIRD TIME applying to medical school.

Got the call today around 9:30 AM EST. Beyond excited! It's been a very long road for me. I had finally come to terms with becoming a DO and non-GW student (not that there is anything wrong with that AT ALL, I just had my heart set on a MD and GW specifically). I will miss the chance to learn the OMM techniques though!

My Stats: 32 Q , 3.6 GPA 3.45 sGPA with a very strong upward trend (basically I messed around from day one until halfway through junior year then really turned it on during my 4th and 5th years). I did a 5 year program and got straight A's in the last 3 semesters in a bunch of upper-level bio/ chem courses. I have a BS in Chem and a BS in Bio. New Jersey resident, GW Undergrad.

Again, if you are a second or even third time applicant, do not give up hope!!!!!!!!! Look at me! Advice: if your a third time applicant, look into retaking the MCAT unless you did outstanding. Some schools actually said my MCAT looked "old".

Good luck everyone else!

Just made this account to show people that hard work and perseverance can help you overcome any situation. This was my THIRD TIME applying to medical school.

Got the call today around 9:30 AM EST. Beyond excited! It's been a very long road for me. I had finally come to terms with becoming a DO and non-GW student (not that there is anything wrong with that AT ALL, I just had my heart set on a MD and GW specifically). I will miss the chance to learn the OMM techniques though!

My Stats: 32 Q , 3.6 GPA 3.45 sGPA with a very strong upward trend (basically I messed around from day one until halfway through junior year then really turned it on during my 4th and 5th years). I did a 5 year program and got straight A's in the last 3 semesters in a bunch of upper-level bio/ chem courses. I have a BS in Chem and a BS in Bio. New Jersey resident, GW Undergrad.

Again, if you are a second or even third time applicant, do not give up hope!!!!!!!!! Look at me! Advice: if your a third time applicant, look into retaking the MCAT unless you did outstanding. Some schools actually said my MCAT looked "old".

Good luck everyone else!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't even imagine applying three times - you definitely deserve it :D

Good luck everyone else!

Congrats!!! I am very happy for you :)

Good luck everyone else!

Mad ups Kham! This is my second application cycle so I definitely feel you on being a reapplicant. Just wanted to congratulate you and can't wait to meet you in the fall. GW represent! :)

Anyone know if the class is full? If not, how many spots are left to be filled?

Status
Not open for further replies.