To put it plainly, life at Mayo is "freaking awesome". I didn't know exactly what to expect in moving here, but myself and my classmates are so happy on a day-to-day basis. Sure, we get stressed like any medical students, but I think it's just a different (lower) level here than at other schools. We hang out with each other a lot, so that can take place at bars, movies, parks (during pick-up soccer games, etc). There are also a lot of outdoor activity options here. Rochester has 60 miles of paved running/bike trails. If you are a runner, know that a good portion of the medical school runs marathons. If you are lazy like me, know that your classmates will be happy to introduce you to sports in a stress-free way 😉. Even I bought a road bike for the beautiful trails... Also, in terms of music/theater/cultural events, there are some opportunities in Rochester, but a huge number of great opportunities in the Twin Cities. It is only a 1.5 hour drive to the Cities, and people go all the time. There was just a big Lady Gaga concert there, and people piled into a car for the trip (on a school night!).
Overall, Mayo is all about balance. When I was having trouble in histology, the histology professor sat me down and instructed me NOT to spend my entire weekend studying, telling me that was unreasonable. While they make sure we learn everything we need to learn here, the professors/administration/etc insist that we maintain our passions/hobbies/families/etc during medical school. It's a great environment to study in.
In terms of the small class, again, I was a little bit worried about this (I came to Mayo because everything about the education blew me away, and I just crossed my fingers for the social aspects - what a pleasant surprise!). It is fantastic. We already know each other so well as 1st years, and the bonds we are forming are great. I can't imagine having 120 or even 80 people in the class and having the same experience. We all know each other, and our professors know us well (you will get called on by name in class from the beginning). Plus, with such small classes, there is a bigger impetus for inter-class friendships - the upperclassman hang out with us a lot and are extremely supportive. As an example, we just had our first big final exams. The upperclassman had breakfast waiting for us in the classroom before each exam and a giant card dedicated to "Dr. _______" with each of our names. After the exams they threw us a party at one of the bars. So, overall, the small class size makes for a really comfortable and fun social scene.
If you have any more specific questions, just ask!
~Nerday