2010-2011 University of California - Irvine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ah that's nice. i didn't know they did a dinner for md interviewees. i knew they did one for md/phd interviewees.

Members don't see this ad.

This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

Can someone please post all of the prompts? Also, does anyone know if the MSTP (MD/PhD) prompts are any different? If so, would someone please post those, too? Thanks! :xf:

Can someone please post all of the prompts? Also, does anyone know if the MSTP (MD/PhD) prompts are any different? If so, would someone please post those, too? Thanks! :xf:

I'm pretty sure these were both posted elsewhere: (I'm not applying MSTP, so I can't tell you whether or not the prompts are the same)

1. In evaluating applicants with a variety of backgrounds and strengths the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class. Please describe to the Admissions Committee what you have to offer in this regard. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

2. Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

3. This essay is only for applicants that have already received their baccalaureate degree. Please clarify for the Admissions Committee your activities (school, work and/or volunteer, travel, etc.) since receiving your undergraduate degree. You may list them in chronological order or you may incorporate them into an essay, stating why you chose particular activities. (1,800 characters, with spaces).

That first prompt was a toughie!

Members don't see this ad :)
has there been any recent invites? i'm checking the site 3 times a day :scared:

Me too!! This thread is so quiet... seems like there hasn't been too many invites...

I've been on "Pending Review" since 8/12 and I'm getting nervous!! :scared: UCI is definitely one of my top choices!! Graduated from UCI in June 2009 (undergrad) and have been working in a UCI research lab ever since. I am literally across the street from the medical school... sometimes I feel like walking over there to check in lol.

I'd love to go here! :love::xf:

I'm still waiting on Irvine's secondary. I'd like to think I would make it through the screen, since I did at the other UCs. Maybe the anteater ate my primary :(

Me too!! This thread is so quiet... seems like there hasn't been too many invites...

I've been on "Pending Review" since 8/12 and I'm getting nervous!! :scared: UCI is definitely one of my top choices!! Graduated from UCI in June 2009 (undergrad) and have been working in a UCI research lab ever since. I am literally across the street from the medical school... sometimes I feel like walking over there to check in lol.

I'd love to go here! :love::xf:

I am pretty much in the same position. "Pending Review" since late August. I wonder when the next batch of interview invites (?) are gonna be sent out. I am guessing they are coming in batches? lol
:xf: Good luck to you! :luck:

I am pretty much in the same position. "Pending Review" since late August. I wonder when the next batch of interview invites (?) are gonna be sent out. I am guessing they are coming in batches? lol
:xf: Good luck to you! :luck:

Thanks, good luck to you too! :luck: Hopefully we'll be in that next batch of invites :) :xf:

First rejection of the season. Irvine is stone cold too--no email, just says DENIED next to "Interview Status" on the status page. Submitted 8/6, complete 8/24.

Last edited:
What. the. hell. I was verified on 8/11. Received a secondary from UCSD on 8/19. Rejected at primary stage from UC Davis on 8/13.

But have heard NOTHING from UC Irvine.

:(

What's taking so long? Any insight guys?

3.6 cGPA, 3.5 science, 31 MCAT, ucsd undergrad

my status next to interview has been blank for about a month now... should i call them to find out whats going on? or is that something that other ppl have also

i have a blank for my interview status box but was wondering if everyone still had the "schedule interview," "instructions," and "schedule date" buttons on bottom left column.

Members don't see this ad :)
What. the. hell. I was verified on 8/11. Received a secondary from UCSD on 8/19. Rejected at primary stage from UC Davis on 8/13.

But have heard NOTHING from UC Irvine.

:(

What's taking so long? Any insight guys?

3.6 cGPA, 3.5 science, 31 MCAT, ucsd undergrad

I'm stuck in UCI limbo right there with ya, buddy. My GPA isn't the greatest but it was good enough to get through all the other UC's screens. :shrug:

i have a blank for my interview status box but was wondering if everyone still had the "schedule interview," "instructions," and "schedule date" buttons on bottom left column.

My interview status says "Pending Review"

Mine says "Decision Pending"...

Whats the difference between this and "Pending Review"?

thats strange.. mine was pending review then went blank (school claims im still under review, and my friend who also went blank got an interview later on so blank is not a rejection)

Hey prospective Anteaters.

I wanted to give you all a shout & tell you that we're looking forward to seeing you as interviews begin!

I'm an MS1 & the admissions process is still all too fresh in my mind...so hit me up with ANY questions at all.

Peace & best of luck.

Hey prospective Anteaters.

I wanted to give you all a shout & tell you that we're looking forward to seeing you as interviews begin!

I'm an MS1 & the admissions process is still all too fresh in my mind...so hit me up with ANY questions at all.

Peace & best of luck.

Advisable to contact your adcom if I still haven't had word from UCI yet? Completed 8/24. Really excited about this school as two of my co-workers are M1 here.

Advisable to contact your adcom if I still haven't had word from UCI yet? Completed 8/24. Really excited about this school as two of my co-workers are M1 here.

Completed 8/12, still "pending review." So don't worry, you're not alone!

Interview today was awesome. Both faculty/student were super conversational, I didn't get asked a single formal question, not even why medicine, why this school, or anything like that.

I was complete on 28 Jul and still pending review--although that's not what shows up in my status. NOTHING shows up in my status..as of now at least.

I was on the med school campus today for research and saw a bunch on interviewing students walking into the Med Ed building!! So exciting!

Glad you had a great time!!

:luck:
Interview today was awesome. Both faculty/student were super conversational, I didn't get asked a single formal question, not even why medicine, why this school, or anything like that.

Do you guys know what the difference is between the two status "Pending Review" and "Decision Pending" ??

???? If they didnt ask you those questions... what DID they ask you? lol

Congrats to everyone who interviewed on Tuesday! U guys looked awesome. It was nice to see you all relaxed & smiling outside at lunch.

How bout that In-N-Out truck?!

???? If they didnt ask you those questions... what DID they ask you? lol

Just random questions about my interests and the conversations spiraled off of that. Both lasted right up to the full hour but they felt like 15 minutes.

Conchita in the house!!!!!!!!! i got an interview! wooooooooooooooo
complete 2 weeks ago FYI

I called the admissions office and the woman who answered told me (super nicely!) that it's still really early in the cycle and that the adcom has only had one meeting since the orientation meeting to review applicants. she also took my amcas id to check if my app hasn't been lost, just to make sure.

so, for everyone still under "pending review," as I am (completed 8/13), don't start worrying...

(yet.) :D

I called the admissions office and the woman who answered told me (super nicely!) that it's still really early in the cycle and that the adcom has only had one meeting since the orientation meeting to review applicants. she also took my amcas id to check if my app hasn't been lost, just to make sure.

so, for everyone still under "pending review," as I am (completed 8/13), don't start worrying...

(yet.) :D

Thanks for the info!!! yeah, completed 8/12 and still "pending review."

I completed the secondary in mid July and have been "pending review" since then.

yeaa just sit tight guys. they really haven't handed out interview invites at all.

Interview invite yesterday :love:. This has been my top choice since the beginning of the app process - I can't believe I got this one!!!

Complete: 8/11
Coming from a UC
Stats: 3.6/34

Goodluck to everyone else :luck:

Interview invite yesterday :love:. This has been my top choice since the beginning of the app process - I can't believe I got this one!!!

Complete: 8/11
Coming from a UC
Stats: 3.6/34

Goodluck to everyone else :luck:

Congrats!! It's exciting to see some ii from Irvine. I was complete in August (weeks after you) and still "pending review." :xf:

I'm still waiting on my secondary. On the status website, it still says "Secondary Awarded: Pending Review." Now, I hate being "that guy" that calls and hassles people, but it's been over 2 months since they got my primary and I got all the other UC secondaries pretty quickly.

Does anyone see any reason I shouldn't email them and politely ask if they've made a decision yet?

my interview status went from "pending review" to blank. anyone else with the same problem?

I had the same problem. AMCAS verified on 7/2. Secondary invite on 7/26. Secondary submitted on 8/7. Application complete on 8/12. Interview Status: PENDING REVIEW (since early August)

Then I checked today and my Interview Status was blank. Called Admissions and they said they don't know what's going on... will email me. Then got an email later that says my application is now complete and will be under review. Application Complete: 10/5/10..... What is going on?????????? Did anyone have the same thing happen to them?

Hi Hi,

Im in the same boat I emailed them but they never responded its been like a week already? Hmm whats up

I'm still waiting on my secondary. On the status website, it still says "Secondary Awarded: Pending Review." Now, I hate being "that guy" that calls and hassles people, but it's been over 2 months since they got my primary and I got all the other UC secondaries pretty quickly.

Does anyone see any reason I shouldn't email them and politely ask if they've made a decision yet?

Pending Review means they're checking out your app right?

ive called to check my status twice since I went blank-- both times mentioning that I am blank. Both times she said I was still under review though she found the blank thing to be strange. She never told me to email anyone and my complete date is still 8/05 like it originally was. I know its too early to start truly worrying about this school but I hope im not "forgotten" or something.. Anyone else complete around my time with no rejections or interviews?

I've been complete since 8/30, still says pending review on my status. no rejection or interview, as well.

Anyone else complete around my time with no rejections or interviews?

You're not alone, my friend. I've been complete since 8/5 as well, but my status still says "Pending Review". At least yours went blank which means something somewhere is acknowledging your existence. "Pending Review" is pretty much the most frustrating thing ever. I'm fairly certain that my app is sitting at the bottom of some pile of application purgatory.
My roommate, on the other hand, was complete around the 2nd or 3rd and has already interviewed. Dumb.

I bet all 3 of us are sitting on the bottom of the same pile haha I guess what makes me less nervous is that they actually do reject people, so at least Im 90% sure its not a silent rejection!

Hi Hi,

Im in the same boat I emailed them but they never responded its been like a week already? Hmm whats up

Sucks, doesn't it? I hope they look at our emails soon. I'd love to go to UCI so it makes me sad that they won't even tell me if I'm good enough for a secondary or not.

ive called to check my status twice since I went blank-- both times mentioning that I am blank. Both times she said I was still under review though she found the blank thing to be strange. She never told me to email anyone and my complete date is still 8/05 like it originally was. I know its too early to start truly worrying about this school but I hope im not "forgotten" or something.. Anyone else complete around my time with no rejections or interviews?

complete 8/4...still pending review. :xf:

Status
Not open for further replies.